How Confidant Ruby Cruise in Nov. Won't Be Cancelled?

Firstin87

Hi,

My husband and I have mostly cruised with NCL, but now bounce between that line and Princess.  Like other cruise lines, NCL just cancelled a number of cruises for the next few months.  One of them was our fourth attempt at a Panama Canal cruise in Nov. and we are, of course, very disappointed. 

In deciding what to do for our Fall vacation (our first vacation since the Fall of 2019), we found a 10 day Mexican Riviera on the Ruby round-trip from San Francisco late Nov. to early Dec.  We understand it's a challenge for lines to get ships fully staffed and ready to go, and no one can predict the future.   On another thread, I saw the cancellation letter Princess sent to many of you and the latest date I recall seeing was August 21, so we're thinking that late Nov. might be more of a sure thing.   I'm wondering for those of you who are more experienced Princess cruisers, do you think that is the last batch of cruises Princess will cancel?  What is your opinion of how confidant we can be that this cruise will sail, assuming California allows cruises by then (its our home state and we don't expect any issues from the state government about that)? 

Thanks for your opinions and out sympathies to those of you who also had upcoming cruises cancelled.  We're all sooo looking forward to getting back onboard!

Cyndy

• Like 1

We have a 10/31/21 sailing booked for a south-bound coastal on the Ruby. Right now, I'm about 80% confident that it will sail. My thinking is that California is opening back up and Ensenada will probably be open as well. Maybe wishful thinking, but 80% confident.

• Like 1

Thanks for your opinion.  With Gov. Newsom saying the state will open more fully June 15 and the relaxed CDC guidelines for both the country and the cruise industry (for vaccinated crews and passengers), I don't expect California to be the problem.  Fingers crossed for both of us!

• Like 3

Thank you, everyone.  We booked it and are going to be cautiously optimistic.  We are so upset about our Panama Canal in Nov. on NCL being cancelled since it was our fourth attempt at that cruise since 2018 and we book well in advance.  Being so late, we thought we were good to go, but no.

My husband looked up Ruby's dry dock dates and I see why CalLovesCruisingToo would be nervous.  The way things have been this past year plus, you don't feel confidant about anything.  I hope you get to go and have a wonderful time!

KTB - congratulations on 25 years!  Looks like a nice itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firstin87 said:

Thank you, everyone.  We booked it and are going to be cautiously optimistic.  We are so upset about our Panama Canal in Nov. on NCL being cancelled since it was our fourth attempt at that cruise since 2018 and we book well in advance.  Being so late, we thought we were good to go, but no.

My husband looked up Ruby's dry dock dates and I see why CalLovesCruisingToo would be nervous.  The way things have been this past year plus, you don't feel confidant about anything.  I hope you get to go and have a wonderful time!

KTB - congratulations on 25 years!  Looks like a nice itinerary.

Thank you for the congratulations!  The actual anniversary date was last night!  We were originally on Island Princess that would've sailed earlier this month.  Hence the delay....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paul929207 said:

I will not be confident about any cruise until Princess announces they are a GO. 

Ditto.

We had a March, 2022 cruise with a great itinerary cancelled by Princess during the pandemic.

As a result, I am not willing to emotionally get involved with any other cruise on Princess or any other cruise line until I have confidence the cruise would actually occur and the ports on the itinerary willing to having a cruise ship go there.

• Like 1

Kevin - With the great itinerary you have through the Panama Canal, you and your wife can certainly call it a 25 and 26 year celebration.  Hope you had a nice anniversary and could maybe go out to dinner or something.

CruiserKenn - Hawaii is gorgeous.  You'll have a great time!  Looks like your cruise is a couple before ours, so we'll both get the newly cleaned ship.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 4:26 PM, Sea Hag said:

We have a 10/31/21 sailing booked for a south-bound coastal on the Ruby. Right now, I'm about 80% confident that it will sail. My thinking is that California is opening back up and Ensenada will probably be open as well. Maybe wishful thinking, but 80% confident.

I just booked this same cruise.  Between NCL and Princess, I have had four cruises canceled because of covid.  I am still a bit hesitant about cruising this year, but glad knowing I can cancel before final payment is due and not lose any money.  I sure hope things will be safe by the end of October.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cmh said:

I just booked this same cruise.  Between NCL and Princess, I have had four cruises canceled because of covid.  I am still a bit hesitant about cruising this year, but glad knowing I can cancel before final payment is due and not lose any money.  I sure hope things will be safe by the end of October.

We're fully vaccinated, so we're not worried about covid. I trust the science. But I frankly don't know where that stop in Ensenada stands. I think Mexico is open to cruise ships, but I haven't actually tracked that info down.

• Like 1

I am fully vaccinated as well, but would not leave the ship for Ensenada.  I think other countries are not as vaccinated as we are in the US.  I have not heard if everyone who boards has to have been vaccinated.  I would feel more comfortable if that was the case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cmh said:

I am fully vaccinated as well, but would not leave the ship for Ensenada.  I think other countries are not as vaccinated as we are in the US.  I have not heard if everyone who boards has to have been vaccinated.  I would feel more comfortable if that was the case.

I agree. 

15 minutes ago, cmh said:

Not that there's a lot to do in Ensenada.... other than travel an hour+ to the winery.

• Like 1

We were in Ensenada a couple years ago and my husband bought me a lovely pair of fire opal earrings.  I'd like to go back someday to get a matching necklace.  Hoping to see some jewelry stores on this cruise - lol.

14 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

Ensenada is a short stop anyway.  Four hours (4:00pm to 8:00pm in December 2019)

Not always. We have a full day there from 8-5 on our California Coastal cruise. 
Cheers, Denise

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

Ensenada is a short stop anyway.  Four hours (4:00pm to 8:00pm in December 2019)

It is the same for our trip in January. Too bad there are some great small wineries in the valley

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, bigdsf said:

I'm booked out of sf on the Ruby Princess nov 27,2021  they had unreal pricing a month ago.ships will not be full

We were happy with the price we paid, too.  Looking forward to not having to deal with flying, either, as SF is our local port.  I wonder if Gov. Newsom will announce any information relating to cruise ships in Calif. when he is supposed to reopen the state on June 15.  I'll allow myself to get excited when I hear something from the government that ships are allowed in their states.

• Like 1