The Daily for Sunday May 30, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Creativity Day, Water a Flower Day, and Neighbor Day

The art of life is to know how to enjoy a little and to endure very much. - William Hazlitt

He who invents adages for others to peruse takes along rowboat when going on cruise.

The human brain is a wonderful thing. It starts working the moment you are born, and never stops until you stand up to speak in public. -- Sir George Jessel

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Corn on Cob with Kimchi Mayo and Scallions

Drink of the Day - Hot Buttered Rum

Wine of the day - Big Table Farm Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2016

Port of the Day - Santos (Sao Paulo) Brazil

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting Off Mexico
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam Operations off Corfu GR

Freeport BS
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Los Angeles
Westerdam

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0530Europe.thumb.png.7405e94d4b3786dce19c43600495e16f.png

0530USA.thumb.png.5736a9a5a68b39030e13f069d36989ce.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another frosty morning here, hope it's the last one for a while.

Interesting collection of days.  I will water some flowers.  I will wave at my neighbours if I see them.  I'll try to be creative, but not sure how.

Love all the quotes.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, not sure what we'll have.

Sending prayers for everyone. 

Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thanks for the Daily.

Love the Hazlitt quote.  The others are good too.

Need to make sure to thank my neighbors for taking care of the house and yard while we are gone.

My creativity today should be pretty good as it is also my birthday so I get to do what I want after we fly to NY.

The wine should be good as it comes from Carlton, a good pinot producer.

Haven't been to the port, so looking forward to pictures.

Prayers for all those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

Sunrise from Myrtle Beach last week.

20210524_060340.jpg

• Like 33

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  We’ve had so much rain the flowers don’t need any more water.  We have some very nice neighbors but won’t see any of them today. Creativity is a great survival trait and should be fostered.  Quotes today are so true.  We won’t be grilling corn today but I’ll take the hot buttered rum on yet another cold day. Have never been to today’s port and will look forward to the photos.  Prayers to all on our prayer list and cheers to everyone with a celebration.

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone.   

I don't think my flowers need water due to the rain the last couple of days, but I will check on them.  My neighbors are all fine and I wave to them as I pass by when I do my walk through the neighborhood.  Not sure how I'll be creative today.  

Happy Birthday @baltic17.  Enjoy your day!

I love corn on the grill, but don't have it too often.   The first time I had it, I remember we soaked it for a long time so the outer leaves didn't catch fire on the grill.  This corn would be great along with our burgers and hot dogs.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/grilled-corn-on-cob-with-kimchi-mayo-and-scallions-7500270

Grilled Corn on the cob with Kimchi mayo.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. A wonderful combo of days & quotes! I will gladly celebrate all three. 

Jacqui & Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Edi & Sandi - keeping you both close. What an interesting meal. Early gym day for me. I believe the humidity has arrived. In spite of the breeze yesterday, I was very warm during Bindi & my walks. Another evening meal out, this time to a local restaurant that overlooks a small airport.  

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Pinot lovers this one sounds like a winner. Pick a vintage, any vintage. They all share the same excellent ratings. A bit on the high end of my budget, I found it for $44.94 from one online distributor. Might find it for less locally.

Winemaker Notes

#74 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

This wine is a true representation of the northern Willamette Valley as all 8 pinot sites I work with end up in this bottling, from south of Salem to north of Forest Grove. It would be arrogant of me to think I could predict which fruit will turn into the best wine so I treat all with equal diligence. I think this approach makes this bottling different but on par with our vineyard designates. It is more affordable because we make a lot more of it, but it gets the same care and handling as the rest of the wines.

The freshness of the fruit captures you while the richness makes you lean in to drink in the aromatics in a few more times. This wine is giving some darker fruit, espresso and cacao alongside the raspberry and hint of plum. Its rich fruit is held in check with bright acidity. This wine delivers purity of fruit character and just the right amount of tannin and acid to invite you to slow down and take it in.

W&S94 Wine & Spirits: A luminous wine in a generous vintage, this draws from all eight vineyards Brian Marcy uses in his production. It shows a woodsy, tea-like spice, but in the end, it’s the fruit that may seduce you—it’s like biting into a fresh wild strawberry, experiencing the burst of fruit, that lift and tingle of acid, the clarity and balance between the two. This is a wine of energy, finesse and delicious length.

WS93 Wine Spectator: Effortlessly elegant and complex, with vibrant rose petal, savory smoke and raspberry accents that glide along a silky texture toward the long finish. Drink now through 2024. 
JS93 James Suckling: Some strongly sappy aromas with wild herbs and red fruit, intermingled in upbeat, youthful and floral style. The same feel on the palate, which offers fresh, red-cherry flavors and a wealth of complexity and a juicy, fresh resolve. Try from 2020.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast: Though this multi-vineyard blend is priced below the winery's vineyard designates, it was given the same exacting care. A substantial wine, it's lush with blackberry, black cherry, lemon peel and orange blossom scents and flavors. Barrel aging has added clove and other spice notes. A stylish effort that outperforms its price.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Happy Memorial Day!  Always try to be creative, water my flowers daily, and hope I am a good neighbor.  Interesting group of quotes.  I love grilled corn on the cob, but not with mayo and scallions.  Happy Birthday @baltic17

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Hot Buttered Rum:

Ingredients
  • 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 ounces dark or aged rum
  • 6 ounces hot water
  • Cinnamon stick, for garnish (optional)
Directions

In mixing bowl, combine butter, vanilla extract, sugar, spices and salt. Beat until well combined.

In heat-proof glass or mug, combine aged rum with 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) spiced butter mixture. Remaining batter can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for future use.

Top with hot water and stir until ingredients are well incorporated. Garnish with cinnamon stick if preferred.

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 7.30.34 AM.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!  I'm so turned around I don't know what day of the week it is.  It must be Sunday, but an elevator floor mat in a BHB would sure be appreciated right now to be sure.  I see some day lilies starting to bloom outside my door and some gardenias showing up on the gardenia bushes someone planted out there.  That's about all the flowering I get in my yard.  Maybe I should water them today.  DH says we need to trim the shrubs that are starting to overgrow later so maybe I can wave to my neighbors while toiling in the yard.  

Happy Birthday @baltic17!  Hope it's a great one.

To @NextOne I am so saddened to hear of the loss of your DH, Ron.  Treasure the memories.  We are here for you when you want someone to talk to.

I checked the ports of the day while I was gone.  I have not been to Tonga but went to Southampton five times.  Sometimes arriving in time to catch a ship and sometimes we spend the night there before a cruise.  It's a great little town and we've enjoyed fish and chips at a local pub there.  Like some of you we have taken a National Express bus from Heathrow to Southampton and it seems to work out well.  Today's port of Santos, Brazil was visited by us in 2015 on the Ruby Princess.  I'm not sure if I will have time to post photos - it depends on the yard work later this morning.  I have chores to catch up here in the house too so I'd better get busy sorting laundry.  

For those who are wondering I posted about my trip to St. Louis on yesterday's Daily so you can check it out there if you wish.  Thanks for your support and concern, everyone.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning everyone. It is  cold  and  rainy  here and  has  been  for  a  few  days  now.  I  can't  imagine the  usual  BBQ's or  doing  anything  outside. I  needed  my  warmer  waterproof  jacket  for  dog  walking as  is  was  only  45  or  so. DD  has  blooming  roses  that  look  very  battered  and  sad.

Believe me,everyone  of  the  plants  has  been  watered!

I  like  the quotes  today  and  we  enjoy  our  neighbors. The  pandemic  has  made  even  the  usual  cranky  New  Yorker  more  talkative  and  friendly. This  happens  in  stores  as  well  which  is  not  usual! It  is  something  to  get  used  to  and  a  nice  change.

The  recipe  looks  good  but  corn  is  not  really  tasty  around  here  until  it  is  mid  summer and  local.

Dinner  tonight  will  be  potato  salad  and  burgers. DSIL  promised  to  cook  them  outside  even  if  he  has  to  use  an  umbrella.

We  remained  worried  about  Tana. The  holiday  weekend  has  made  some  of  the  testing  slower. Although  we  continue  to  hope  for  the  best, I  can  hear  her  frustration  over  the  phone  and  it  is  coupled  with  the  fact  that  she is  quite  ill.

@StLouisCruisers,  I  am  glad  you  returned  safely and  that  things  went  as  well  as  they  could. I  am  sure your  sister appreciated  your  visit  and  remembering  past  times. Many prayers  for  you  and  your  family.

Terry

• Like 27

On December 4, 2020 @summer slope gave us a slightly different recipe for Hot Buttered Rum. Both sound good.

Hot Buttered Rum

2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch salt
3/4 cup spiced rum
2 cups boiling water
4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish

Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love the collection of day!  I’ll try to be creative as I arrange my planters and our neighbours are so appreciated.  A small community of caring here ♥️ Of course, I’ll celebrate water a flower day, transplants have to be watered before they go in 😉 

0FB2E667-E082-4785-996B-80965589FA47.jpeg.a18df2187c9e1c8c0964493377e0ba2d.jpeg

What an interesting collection of quotes today!  I think I like Hazliett’s the best.  The meal sounds great but there’s lots of leftovers or it will be take out.  I have this rule that says I shouldn’t have to cook on my birthday 😉 

@baltic17Happy Birthday!!! 🎂 🥳

We haven’t been to today’s port but we have been to São Paulo.  Had to get there from Rio to fly home.  What we saw of it was not impressive.  My pictures are pre-digital so hopefully someone else will post pics.

I think last night was the end of the frost warnings (I hope).  I’ll check the hourly forecasts but, assuming I am right, my babies are going in their pots.  It’s going to be do or die I fear as it’s been to cold to move them in and out as much as I normally would.  They’ll die in their small containers if they remain much longer. I’ve never seen such a cold spring in many years.  This happened to me yesterday when I came home with some unexpected plants:

F7F3B2C8-F519-4C5F-84D2-B0A82CA9F19F.thumb.jpeg.2a1c8f7ebd240d6296b00acd212e8ce3.jpeg

Today’s Care List:

• Kakalina and prayers for her palliative care
  • Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS in hospice and needs our prayers & DB’s struggle with insurance to pay for operation
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs and wrist
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • St. Louis Sal’s friend’s liver transplant friend  complication
  • Seasick Sailor’s friend, Ron who fell and now has stitches and hematomas
  • smitty34877’s DD’s half sister Tana struggling as a long haul covid victim and in hospital with pneumonia & breathing issue
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • RIP Gavin MacLeod known to many as Captain Merrill Stubing of the Love Boat

Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - lots of you have been getting rain.  Don’t forget the best time to weed is after a rain when the ground is soft and the weeds come out easier.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

3615D65F-81E0-4881-83ED-43106857B521.jpeg.b757d8e250caf6a47445b077c189d2d2.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  We have some very creative people here, especially @DeeniEncinitas and @Horizon chaser 1957.  A salute to helpful neighbors.  No need to water anything this weekend, nature is taking care of that.  A great selection of quotes today.  My favorite is the one by Jessel.  I know I've been to Santos, can't remember if it's HAL or Crystal or both.  I'll take the corn but pass on the extras.  My alternative is Orange and Grapefruit Medley, Prime Rib of Beef au Jus, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam May 30, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard rsldonk

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Cease fire in Palestine

Jabs for HAL crew (While we haven’t heard specifically I suspect Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles besides San Diego)

smitty34877 supporting half sister Tana and her son

A great seaplane experience by Cruising-along and family

Birthday getaway for baltic17

Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds

Welcome home StLouisCruisers after a bittersweet visit with her sister

A loving and compassionate home for Nan

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

My continuing improvement

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

@kazu, Happy  Birthday!  Please  enjoy your  day,especially  with  your  plants  and  not  cooking!

@baltic17, A  birthday  celebration  in  NYC! The  city  is  returning  to  life and  I  think  if  it were  better  weather the  streets  would  be  more  filled. Enjoy  your  day.

Terry

• Like 20