Summit/Millenium swap theory???

NanaPam00

4 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

This is so confusing. How could they make this kind of error. It makes me a little concerned about the restart. We just booked the 7/17 Edge sailing. I am now concerned that it might be too soon and they haven’t really figured out what to do about the executive order regarding not asking for proof of vaccination.

See post #73.

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

There is an article posted on the RC Blog that explains why the Summit was just swapped out for the Millennium on the new Alaska cruises.

Why the change? The recent bill which was signed into U.S. law to allow cruise ships to visit Alaska this year is the reason. According to Celebrity, the legislation inadvertently listed the Celebrity Cruises ships originally scheduled to sail in Alaska, which did not include Celebrity Summit. The Alaska Tourism Restoration Act specifically listed all the ships the new law applies to, and sure enough, Millennium is listed, but not Summit.

Thanks for a LOT more clarity, rather than just total blame on Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

See post #73.

I read that. I just feel like someone from Celebrity should of read the legislation before they announce the ship and cruises being sold. It just looks careless.

• Like 1

Just now, Susanb10567 said:

I read that. I just feel like someone from Celebrity should of read the legislation before they announce the ship and cruises being sold. It just looks careless.

Just remember this legislation was nowhere when Celebrity decided to move the Millennium to sail out of St Maarten.

3 minutes ago, Locobill49 said:

Where the heck is Icy Straight Point, Alaska? I am so upset that they dropped Skagway. We wanted to take the train ride.

The Alaska PowerUp webinar was mostly about Icy Straight Point.  Sounded like a good addition to the big-ship choices.

2 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

Most in congress don't get enough time read legislation before they vote on a bill, do you think they gave Celebrity a heads up?  

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We are booked on the July 17 Edge sailing too. I haven’t read anything about the Edge cruises being canceled.

She was actually referring to what she perceived was a lack of planning on X's part regarding the Summit being swapped out today for Millennium on the Alaska cruises. And because of that perceived "oversight", which X really didn't have any control over, she was worried X might also mess up the July Edge cruise she was looking at. Or at least that's how I interpreted her original post.

52 minutes ago, Locobill49 said:

Where the heck is Icy Straight Point, Alaska? I am so upset that they dropped Skagway. We wanted to take the train ride.

The post I read on Facebook, which was a posting of a notice from Celebrity,  included Skagway on the Alaska port lists for Millennium.  Are you saying it was dropped for some of the sailings but not others?  

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Most in congress don't get enough time read legislation before they vote on a bill, do you think they gave Celebrity a heads up?  

Don't they have highly paid lobbyist's for this?

25 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

The post I read on Facebook, which was a posting of a notice from Celebrity,  included Skagway on the Alaska port lists for Millennium.  Are you saying it was dropped for some of the sailings but not others?  

Looks like it has been replaced only on the final Alaska sailing this year.

Edit:  see "Modified Sailings" here:  https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

Edited by KAE27

4 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Just got the notice.  Moved to the summit.  I don’t think it matters much

It shouldn't matter.  Both have been "revolutionized."  We sailed on the Summit in 2019 after the revolution.  She's beautiful.   Enjoy!

• Like 1

Just found out our Panama Canal Oct 12 cruise has been cancelled so started looking at Alaska.  Was very confused as nothing shows up as being available to book for 2021.  I came across the letter below that was issued today.  Not sure what is happening and what is available for Alaska.  Guess I will wait a few days to see if this becomes clearer.

June 3, 2021

Dear Guest, A few weeks ago, we reached out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation. As we previously shared, recently passed US Government Legislation now permits us to sail in Alaska without the necessity of calling on a port in Canada, which remains closed to cruise ships. This same piece of legislation inadvertently listed the Celebrity Cruises ships originally scheduled to sail in Alaska, which did not include Celebrity Summit®. After evaluating the situation, we have determined that in order to comply with the new law, Celebrity Millennium® must sail roundtrip from Seattle in Alaska. Specific to your future sailing in Alaska, our adjusted plans will require a change of ship to Celebrity Millennium which has also recently been refreshed and revolutionized. Everything else shared previously will remain the same, including your departure date from Seattle, cruise itinerary and stateroom category. No further action needs to be taken on your part as our Customer Service Teams are working to automatically move your reservation to Celebrity Millennium. Once the process is complete you will receive a refreshed booking invoice via email with your new stateroom number. We anticipate it will take us a few weeks to complete all transactions. Feel free to log-in to your My Celebrity account within the coming weeks and check out everything Celebrity Millennium has to offer. Celebrity Millennium will sail with a vaccinated crew. US Guests 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. As of August 1, 2021, all US Guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. Requirements for Non-U.S. guests vary, for details please visit https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea. Additional testing and protocols will be confirmed closer to your sailing departure date in line with the most up to date recommendations from local government and health officials as well as our Healthy Sail Panel. These measures, including vaccination and testing requirements, will evolve along with public health standards. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through these unique circumstances. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation. Sincerely, Celebrity Cruises

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/7-23-21_9-10-21-CEL-2021-SM-to-ML-Alaska-Redeployment_Guest Letter.pdf

3 hours ago, Locobill49 said:

The train goes into Canada, so that would not have happened regardless. A lot of Skagway excursions depend on access to Canada. 

12 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Celebrity is showing the voyage as canceled in my cruise planner.  

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 5.43.27 PM.png

The Summit voyage technically has been cancelled.  I would contact Celebrity or TA to make sure you are transferred to the Millennium sailing on the same day.

22 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

The Summit voyage technically has been cancelled.  I would contact Celebrity or TA to make sure you are transferred to the Millennium sailing on the same day.

4 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

That's what I said back at #74

Patty I must have missed that.  cruiserchuck.. thank you.  I did call my TA and was NOT rebooked on the Millie.  But I am now booked for the same sailing date in one of the awesome aft large balcony 2A on deck 7.  

Can you imagine what it was like when Celebrity first figured out that they were going to have to switch ships?

The Millennium/Summit roll calls are going to be jacked up.

It would make for a unique photo opportunity if they could get Summit and Millennium to cross the Canal simultaneously.

Edited by mahdnc