Jr suite vs Balcony

This will be the first ship we’ve sailed that has one but from what I’ve read here and on other boards, it is very popular for dinner.  I plan to ask the concierge to make reservations for 4 for every night of our cruise.

20 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Appreciate the responses.  It sounds like it will be worth a try.  This will probably be a good time to try one.    I can add some cash to our fcc and will not notice a difference.  I did not know about the larger bathrooms.

How much do people take advantage of the Coastal Kitchen.  Is it crowded?  Do you mainly just use it for lunch?  I have never checked it out but in my mind I picture it to be similar to the Solarium restaurant which we enjoy.

Junior suite guests can eat in Coastal Kitchen only for dinner (if available) unless you are Pinnacle.

Edited by lovelife

24 minutes ago, lovelife said:

Junior suite guests can eat in Coastal Kitchen only for dinner (if available) unless you are Pinnacle.

yes the only caveat is none of Royals literature actually says that, it just tells you you can eat dinner in coastal kitchen.

so unless in a JS you are ok with the last dinner slot of the night or being told NO not available.  I would not count on eating there.  We have done 2 oasis class in JS and unless after 8 pm no availability.  In fact on one of them you could only book for the current evening, the hostess, would not allow us to book future nights.  I have never been more disappointed on a Royal cruise. Flame away, but that is my opinion.

Never the less if your at all worried about being spoiled by the room and balcony size or amenities. do NOT ever book a Grand suite or higher category.  It is hard to go back, each size higher you go the harder it is to come back, once you hit the full suites

• Like 1

I too am “creatively frugal”.  Since we are also suite snobs, I have to work harder to find deals I can live with.  Our OS on Harmony was obtained at half price through a Lift & Shift from an OS on Rhapsody.  I could never justify paying over $12,000 but under $6000 with taxes, port fees, insurance & prepaid gratuities for 4?  I jumped on it!!!

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, poocher said:

I too am “creatively frugal”.  Since we are also suite snobs, I have to work harder to find deals I can live with.  Our OS on Harmony was obtained at half price through a Lift & Shift from an OS on Rhapsody.  I could never justify paying over $12,000 but under $6000 with taxes, port fees & prepaid gratuities for 4?  I jumped on it!!!

Me too. I’ve got some really “suite” deals from lift & shifts and diligent shopping during the panic. I’m worried about how I’ll be able to support the habit at current prices… 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cigar King said:

The extra space in the bathroom is worth it for me.  For me the JS became the gateway drug towards the other suites.  😉

yesssssss...that happened to us as well 😍

2 hours ago, poocher said:

Funny, people always talk about needing their own space even with small children.  That has never been a problem or really even a consideration for us.  We travelled all the time while they were growing up and always slept in one hotel room.  Son got the worst of it because he got to sleep with his snoring dad and our daughter slept with me.  Nobody thought twice about it🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️.  On this cruise, dad & I get the bed, daughter gets the pullout sofa & we’ve requested a rollaway for my son.  With the UBP, he will sleep anywhere!😁

Too many of us to share one room.....:classic_wink:

I can’t comment on other ships, but there are 2 types of Junior Suites on Anthem. We have sailed in both types. The J1 Junior Suite is wonderful.  The room is also large -276 sq ft but the balcony is exceptional- 161sq ft in a corner location, with 2 full size lounge chairs. The Spa Junior Suite is nice too, but not as large. It has a split bath area - one side with a rain shower. The room is a little larger than a regular balcony cabin. It is 267 sq ft and the balcony is 81 sq ft. Both of these suites have the upgraded bath soaps, shampoos and the evening access to Coastal Kitchen. We have never had trouble booking Coastal and we are only Diamond. 
The  J1 is absolutely worth the money - one of my favorite cabins. They book up quickly. We love Coastal Kitchen, so I would also recommend the Spa Jr Suite too, if you can’t get a J1.
The Grand  Suite is also a really nice room, but it’s a full suite, so more expensive. but the perks are definitely nice and worth it. But the balcony In the J1 Junior is really great if you can get one. 

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

So if Coastal Kitchen is not a guarantee for jr suite it looks like space is the only difference.  Am I remembering correctly, does suite guess have reserved sections around the pool?

Nope. Not junior suites. 

4 hours ago, poocher said:

How about expedited boarding ?

The JS does board through the suite line, but, at least pre-covid, this often didn't matter much.  Lines were often not crowded, and getting on the ship a couple of minutes early, is not a big deal.

Edited by Cigar King

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Unlikely to be needed much if they enforce the provided boarding times.

I have not had boarding times enforced in a suite pre-covid.  We'll have to wait to ships start to sail to see if this changes, but, my guess is it will not.  

42 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

The JS does board through the suite line, but, at least pre-covid, this often didn't matter much.  Lines were often not crowded, and getting on the ship a couple of minutes early, is not a big deal.

I don’t remember having to wait long at all.  I don’t remember if it was a C&A thing or not but it was super easy. 

14 hours ago, poocher said:

I too am “creatively frugal”.  Since we are also suite snobs, I have to work harder to find deals I can live with.  Our OS on Harmony was obtained at half price through a Lift & Shift from an OS on Rhapsody.  I could never justify paying over $12,000 but under $6000 with taxes, port fees, insurance & prepaid gratuities for 4?  I jumped on it!!!

What was the length of the cruise? 

12 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

So if Coastal Kitchen is not a guarantee for jr suite it looks like space is the only difference.  Am I remembering correctly, does suite guess have reserved sections around the pool?

No reserved pool space, but you do get double points if that matters.

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What was the length of the cruise? 

It’s a 7 day eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral.  And I agree, no more than 2 in a balcony cabin.  For us, it really isn’t big enough even for 2.  I could see trying a JS if it were just hubby and me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poocher said:

So how many is too many?

We were a young family of 5 when we started traveling....Now we're an extended family (adult kids their spouses and 4 grand kids and two more on the way). Sometimes when we take them all it seems like we're sailing with a small village...so four cabins or hotel rooms.

I get that!  We took the whole family, 2 kids, 1 in law, 4 grands to Disney/Universal.  It was quite the trip.  Not sure I’m in a hurry to repeat it.  Although the in law is now an ex so a lot of the tension is gone🙄🙄.  We have been taking them one at a time.  I call them the “don’t say no to ______” trips.  They get to do whatever they want without having to share time and attention.  And I have fewer people to please.

13 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

With the correct tip you'll always have a table in the CK no matter the time. Be discreet. 

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

With the correct tip you'll always have a table in the CK no matter the time. Be discreet. 

greasing the palm🤔😁

• Like 1