Encore to replace the Bliss for 2021 Alaska Cruises?

mianmike

I just received the below from NCL 

As part of our highly anticipated return to cruising from the U.S., we recently announced we will sail upgraded itineraries offering 7 to 13 hours of port time

in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point, Alaska as well as an afternoon viewing Dawes Glacier. Today, we are pleased to

further announce that we are upgrading the ships as well, and all Alaska cruises this year will take place on the newest most innovative ship

in our fleet, the brand-new Norwegian Encore! The revised itinerary for your sailing is outlined below.

Original

Day

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

5:00 pm

Sun

AT SEA

Mon

ICY STRAIT POINT, AK

1:00 pm

9:00 pm

Tue

SKAGWAY, AK

8:00 am

Wed

JUNEAU, AK

6:00 am

1:30 pm

Wed

HOLKHAM BAY GLACIER FJORD

Thu

KETCHIKAN, AK

10:00 am

6:00 pm

Fri

AT SEA

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

4:00 am

Revised

Day

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

Sun

AT SEA

Mon

ICY STRAIT POINT, AK

Tue

SKAGWAY, AK

Wed

JUNEAU, AK

Wed

ENDICOTT ARM & DAWES GLACIER

Thu

KETCHIKAN, AK

Fri

AT SEA

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

Edited by lux4me
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, lux4me said:

I just received the below from NCL 

As part of our highly anticipated return to cruising from the U.S., we recently announced we will sail upgraded itineraries offering 7 to 13 hours of port time

in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point, Alaska as well as an afternoon viewing Dawes Glacier. Today, we are pleased to

further announce that we are upgrading the ships as well, and all Alaska cruises this year will take place on the newest most innovative ship

in our fleet, the brand-new Norwegian Encore! The revised itinerary for your sailing is outlined below.

Original

Day

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

Sun

AT SEA

Mon

ICY STRAIT POINT, AK

Tue

SKAGWAY, AK

Wed

JUNEAU, AK

Wed

HOLKHAM BAY GLACIER FJORD

Thu

KETCHIKAN, AK

Fri

AT SEA

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

Revised

Day

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

Sun

AT SEA

Mon

ICY STRAIT POINT, AK

Tue

SKAGWAY, AK

Wed

JUNEAU, AK

Wed

ENDICOTT ARM & DAWES GLACIER

Thu

KETCHIKAN, AK

Fri

AT SEA

Sat

SEATTLE, WA

Wow it's official.  Very excited to sail on the new Encore August 7.  Happy there is no overly loud H2O.  And especially looking forward for sure dining in the New Onda specialty restaurant. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the good info.  I haven't received the notification from NCL yet, but our cruise is in October.  I just did a side by side comparison of the deck plans for the decks we're booked on and the rooms appear to be identical.  Besides being the newest ship, it looks like we'll also benefit from having a show other than the Jersey Boys.  That's a good show, but we've already seen it on two different cruises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainWoody said:

Thanks for all the good info.  I haven't received the notification from NCL yet, but our cruise is in October.  I just did a side by side comparison of the deck plans for the decks we're booked on and the rooms appear to be identical.  Besides being the newest ship, it looks like we'll also benefit from having a show other than the Jersey Boys.  That's a good show, but we've already seen it on two different cruises.

I'm actually curious about the entertainment. If the crew from the Joy/Gem really is being moved over to the Encore for Alaska, wouldn't that include the entertainment crew? It takes a lot of rehearsing, costume fitting, etc. to gear up a full theater show. My assumption was that the performers for Footloose and Elements would be moved over and perform those shows on the Bliss (now Encore) when the announcement was initially made.

2 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Yes, if it has not changed it should be Kinky Boots I believe, first thing I looked up earlier.

POA is in Oregon right now.  Could they be taking their crew and putting them on the Encore?   I thought they have to be American or have working visas to be on this ship.  It seems crazy, but they’d be more likely to be vaccinated already. 

14 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Mine is at the end of September, have not heard anything from NCL yet

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

So, confirmed, now the question I have is, does the crew just fly to Seattle from Aruba?  Seems like the most direct and easiest answer.

She is in the right spot, my guess is she will cross the Pacific with a load of crew and they will shuffle around the experience/inexperienced crew by flight after she arrives.

• Like 1

Whenever you see all cabins sold out for all dates on a ship....  Its cancelled for sure. This is exactly what I saw with the Gem in the  Dominican.  Will the Encore replace the Bliss? That is the question.  But how can you get airfare if you have such instability with the cruises?

4 minutes ago, Explorer525 said:

Whenever you see all cabins sold out for all dates on a ship....  Its cancelled for sure. This is exactly what I saw with the Gem in the  Dominican.  Will the Encore replace the Bliss? That is the question.  But how can you get airfare if you have such instability with the cruises?

We've had multiple reports that they are just swapping the ships and nobody is being cancelled.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

That is a VERY generous way of putting it!

It has to look better in person than in photos. Right?

Anyone hear when we’ll see the change reflected in our accounts? The app and website both still say Bliss. 

Edited by coastcat

4 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I am booked September 11 so haven’t seen anything yet....for those of you who have received confirmation of the Encore change did you also receive the same stateroom you originally booked? 

I got the email confirming the switch to the Encore, but so far the cruise summary is still showing our cabin on the Bliss. 

2 hours ago, Explorer525 said:

The hunt is half the fun. 

"No Risk It, No Biscuit"  

1 hour ago, Explorer525 said:

We got notification this morning that the Bliss is history. And the Encore is being swapped in. And the process will take a week. No cancellation here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coastcat said:

Yup, just got the notification from my TA. I’m actually pleased about the change because I’d love to try Onda and really want to see that… interesting chandelier in person.

We were told onboard that NCL paid a million dollars for the Encore chandelier. It is the first thing that greets you as you board

1932733732_NCLBattleoftheBigShips.thumb.jpg.dc01b228f45bd63f147403883a3e4e99.jpg

image.png.d9c7843f5ce280a8b2d9ce90beaaf1a7.png

Edited by BirdTravels