Crew Incentives

cruzsnooze

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Rumor has it they are changing the tiers, I'm interested in knowing what my tier will be. I'm elite but if there's a higher tier what will the cutoff be.

Now there's an off-ramp couple of sentences.  Regardless of any changes, everyone's current status will be grandfathered.  Should be a separate topic thread, but seems to me will be 99.9% speculative.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Actually the crew contract states all monies go into the pool and no exception was stated regarding pax having kept the auto gratuity intact

I have no idea what a crew contract says.  But, I am firmly of the belief that if I leave the DSC (which in my mind is an automatic gratuity) intact and then choose to give an additional gratuity to my dining room staff and my cabin staff, they will be able to keep that extra amount for themselves while still participating in the division of monies in the DSC pool.  Just by observation, it appears to me that the staff in a lounge/bar have their own "pool" of monies that guests provide on top of the 15% charge added to one's beverage bill.  

Actually the crew contract states all monies go into the pool and no exception was stated regarding pax having kept the auto gratuity intact

I have no idea what a crew contract says.  But, I am firmly of the belief that if I leave the DSC (which in my mind is an automatic gratuity) intact and then choose to give an additional gratuity to my dining room staff and my cabin staff, they will be able to keep that extra amount for themselves while still participating in the division of monies in the DSC pool.  Just by observation, it appears to me that the staff in a lounge/bar have their own "pool" of monies that guests provide on top of the 15% charge added to one's beverage bill.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have no idea what a crew contract says. 

D. PAYMENT OF WAGES

Unless otherwise specified, wages accrue from and including the day the crew member

signs the Crew Agreement onboard, up to and including the day when the crew member

signs off the vessel. Wages are paid monthly in arrears according to the Company’s

records. Compensation for periods of less than one month is pro-rated on the basis of

one/thirtieth for each day worked. The monthly wage paid to each crew member shall be

in accordance with the wages in effect at the time and as set out in each individual crew

member’s letter of appointment and/or Acceptance of Employment Terms and Conditions

setting forth such wages as applicable.

E. DISCRETIONARY HOTEL & DINING CHARGE POOL

Other than as specified in these Terms or the Acceptance of Employment Terms and

Conditions, the Company makes no promise, guarantee or commitment, and crew

member agrees he/she does not expect or anticipate payment by the Company of any

compensation beyond the Minimum Wage Guarantee.

It has been the Company’s experience that passengers often wish to recognize and

reward shipboard staff for working successfully and as a cohesive team to make the cruise

experience enjoyable. Accordingly, during each voyage of each vessel a voluntary

contribution by each passenger will be suggested for that purpose. Passengers are not

obligated to make a contribution or to adhere to the Company’s suggested guidelines for

such a contribution. Nonetheless, to the extent passengers follow the suggested

contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or

directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such

contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel

and Dining Charge Pool (the “Pool”). Each and every crew member also agrees to deliver

any such voluntary passenger contribution he or she receives from any passenger under

any circumstances to the Pool immediately upon receipt of the contribution from the

passenger

• Like 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

so, then, how are tips that show up on employees W-2's accounted for on the "books" ?

For an employee in the US they would show up in blocks 1, 5 and 12.

Difference between corporate finance where such tips are off books, not considered in revenue or expense reporting. That does not mean that it is not tracked, which it must be, in order to maintain that status, nor would it be off books as far as the employees income since it would be taxable income for the employee.

6 hours ago, skynight said:

Are there W2's? International tax and income laws are complex and vary greatly by country.  Is their income U.S. because Princess is located in CA, Bermuda income, the ship's flag and earned at sea, or some other country where they signed a contract with a 3rd party contractor? I don't know, but would guess that crew do not file U.S. income taxes. 

The crew are required to file taxes as per their home country's laws.  If the crew are working under a work or resident visa in the US, then they are also liable for US tax.

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The crew probably aren't paid in US dollars but in their home countries. 

Just like most ships use US dollars as the onboard currency, the US dollar is the currency of crew wages.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

D. PAYMENT OF WAGES

Unless otherwise specified, wages accrue from and including the day the crew member

signs the Crew Agreement onboard, up to and including the day when the crew member

signs off the vessel. Wages are paid monthly in arrears according to the Company’s

records. Compensation for periods of less than one month is pro-rated on the basis of

one/thirtieth for each day worked. The monthly wage paid to each crew member shall be

in accordance with the wages in effect at the time and as set out in each individual crew

member’s letter of appointment and/or Acceptance of Employment Terms and Conditions

setting forth such wages as applicable.

E. DISCRETIONARY HOTEL & DINING CHARGE POOL

Other than as specified in these Terms or the Acceptance of Employment Terms and

Conditions, the Company makes no promise, guarantee or commitment, and crew

member agrees he/she does not expect or anticipate payment by the Company of any

compensation beyond the Minimum Wage Guarantee.

It has been the Company’s experience that passengers often wish to recognize and

reward shipboard staff for working successfully and as a cohesive team to make the cruise

experience enjoyable. Accordingly, during each voyage of each vessel a voluntary

contribution by each passenger will be suggested for that purpose. Passengers are not

obligated to make a contribution or to adhere to the Company’s suggested guidelines for

such a contribution. Nonetheless, to the extent passengers follow the suggested

contribution guidelines in whole or in part, or deliver their contribution to the Company or

directly to any crew member(s), each and every crew member agrees that any such

contribution is not his personal wage, but rather a contribution to the Discretionary Hotel

and Dining Charge Pool (the “Pool”). Each and every crew member also agrees to deliver

any such voluntary passenger contribution he or she receives from any passenger under

any circumstances to the Pool immediately upon receipt of the contribution from the

passenger

From reading this if I give a room attendant for example an additional 20 USD, in cash, as a tip they are obliged to deposit that cash into the Pool. Is that the correct reading of what you posted?

Edited by brisalta

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

From reading this if I give a room attendant for example an additional 20 USD, in cash, as a tip they are obliged to deposit that cash into the Pool. Is that the correct reading of what you posted?

They are supposed to at least report this money, and if you have reduced the DSC, then the money goes to the pool, but if you left the DSC alone, then the extra goes to the crew member who received it.

• Like 4

Just now, chengkp75 said:

They are supposed to at least report this money, and if you have reduced the DSC, then the money goes to the pool, but if you left the DSC alone, then the extra goes to the crew member who received it.

Thank you chengkp75. I always leave the DSC as the default and give extra cash to the room attendant as we usually have some requests that take more effort than is typical in their day to day tasks. Good to know that they can keep the extra.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That’s not what it says at all.  This company seems to want to get it all

Each and every crew member also agrees to deliver

passenger

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, B Midged said:

passenger

Exactly. but people want to believe they are kind and generous when they give a cash tip but it goes into the POOL. The facts aren't important it's what you want to believe even when you read it in a contract . There's nothing wrong with contributing extra to the pool if you're so inclined but know what you're contributing to. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, B Midged said:

passenger

Just now, cruzsnooze said:

Exactly. but people want to believe they are kind and generous when they give a cash tip but it goes into the POOL. 

IDK for sure, but many supposedly with inside info have posted that those extra cash tips revert to the recipient once Princess is able to check that the auto-tipping was left on.  It would be nice to know the fact of the matter because if the money stays in the pool, the amount going back to an individual would literally be pennies.  In that case, I'd be making sure I filled out the feedback praise forms for deserving crew members.

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK for sure, but many supposedly with inside info have posted that those extra cash tips revert to the recipient once Princess is able to check that the auto-tipping was left on.  It would be nice to know the fact of the matter because if the money stays in the pool, the amount going back to an individual would literally be pennies.  In that case, I'd be making sure I filled out the feedback praise forms for deserving crew members.

It is logical if the crew were allowed to keep the cash if the passenger kept the daily service charge intact they would state it in the contract. Logic tells me the company would want the employee to both know they have the ability to earn more and it would be an incentive for service above and beyond. The contract is exactly what it says and what the employee signs. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

28 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Exactly. but people want to believe they are kind and generous when they give a cash tip but it goes into the POOL. The facts aren't important it's what you want to believe even when you read it in a contract . There's nothing wrong with contributing extra to the pool if you're so inclined but know what you're contributing to. 

And who ever you do give the extra tip to will know that you appreciate them since you made the effort to give them the extra tip. It may be watered down by the time they get it, but they know you cared. 

9 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

And who ever you do give the extra tip to will know that you appreciate them since you made the effort to give them the extra tip. It may be watered down by the time they get it, but they know you cared. 

Know you cared?  Treat them with respect, that shows you care. Don't be demanding or demeaning, that shows you are kind and care. Bring them some junk food back from shore, Cheeto's are the favorite along  with Hershey Bars. These "tips" are not required to go into the pool. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

And who ever you do give the extra tip to will know that you appreciate them since you made the effort to give them the extra tip.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Bring them some junk food back from shore, Cheeto's are the favorite along  with Hershey Bars.

Or alternatively, treat them as professionals doing a job. Not as mendicants or your new best friend.

Treat all staff politely and courteously, and keep out of their way while they are doing their job.

As for tips and wages, that's between the cruise line and their staff. If the staff are unhappy with the arrangements then they should organise. It's been done before in even more difficult circumstances.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Know you cared?  Treat them with respect, that shows you care. Don't be demanding or demeaning, that shows you are kind and care. Bring them some junk food back from shore, Cheeto's are the favorite along  with Hershey Bars. These "tips" are not required to go into the pool. 

37 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Or alternatively, treat them as professionals doing a job. Not as mendicants or your new best friend.

Treat all staff politely and courteously, and keep out of their way while they are doing their job.

As for tips and wages, that's between the cruise line and their staff. If the staff are unhappy with the arrangements then they should organise. It's been done before in even more difficult circumstances.

Wow, what a change of thought!

How does treating them with respect and care, or treating them as  professionals politely and courteously show you care?  This is just common decency, normal for me.  A little extra bread on the table shows you care.

Treats are okay, but with cash, they can get exactly what they like.  We do bring some good local sourdough bread to hand out.  That is unique, not something they can get at Wal-Mart.

I was just trying to justify a little extra personal tip, whether the get to keep it or not is between them and their employer, but I have made the gesture.  What they do with it is none of my business.

Enough for me, I will not get further into a pissing match with people that change the subject.

Edited by 2 cruises a year

18 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Yup, enough said on this subject.

I totally agree with you!! This subject will never ever end. When I have parties on The Rowboat no one ever leaves the Captain a tip 😳😁😁and everything is free. 😢

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

I totally agree with you!! This subject will never ever end. When I have parties on The Rowboat no one ever leaves the Captain a tip 😳😁😁and everything is free. 😢

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

I have a tip for you Captain.

Don't bet on the horses. 😄🙃😉

1 minute ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I have a tip for you Captain.

Don't bet on the horses. 😄🙃😉

I love your advice. BTW I never bet on the horses. I father was a big horse player😳 I told him once he should have his name over the $50.00 dollar window because he donated so much to Suffolk Downs Race Track. 😁😁😁
Tony

• Like 2