Crew Quarantine

Roberto256

There are two princess crew members that I message with frequently.

Both of them have worked for Princess for more than 10 years.

Both are anxious to get back to ships, and get 'salary' again!

One even said that she misses her passengers.   

After the way I have seen some passengers treat crew, I was really surprised to hear that.

Anyway, one is being called back for a 4-month contract in dining.  She is thrilled.

When she joins the ship, she will have a 2-week solitary quarantine in her cabin.

I thought this was a good way to deal with crew not being vaccinated in their home countries.

Currently, she expects no shore leave for the entire contract.

I think this should make passengers pretty safe from infection by crew.

Maybe if over time,  if crew gets vaccinated in ports, they will get shore leave...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Working onboard unvaccinated?  

Even after quarantine, is that a good idea?

Particularly if interacting with pax?

All the cruises commencing in the UK in the next few weeks will have unvaccinated crew. As all the pax will be vaccinated,  there is little risk to the pax, and I assume Princess are hoping that there will be no transmission to the crew, given the 100% vaccination status of the passengers.  

I would prefer Princess to require that the crew be vaccinated.  The medical staff can easily give the shots.  Give them the first shot the first day of the two week solitary confinement so there is partial protection when they are released.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, pms4104 said:

The Princess VP of Sales just stated on a webinar that 100% of the crew will be vaccinated. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Well, then I may have misunderstood the OP's post?

What is in the OP post was completely different than what was said on the webinar.  Maybe this crew member was one of the exceptions under the CDC mandate but he stated Princess is not doing a test cruise since they going out with crew and passengers 100% vaccinated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

What is in the OP post was completely different than what was said on the webinar.  Maybe this crew member was one of the exceptions under the CDC mandate but he stated Princess is not doing a test cruise since they going out with crew and passengers 100% vaccinated.

100% ... except for exceptions.

Not trying to bicker with you ... I just don't have high confidence in what the Talking Heads say and do.

6 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Ummmm...I'm not a doctor, but common sense says not a good idea.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I would prefer Princess to require that the crew be vaccinated.  The medical staff can easily give the shots.  Give them the first shot the first day of the two week solitary confinement so there is partial protection when they are released.

I agree!!

11 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

100% ... except for exceptions.

Not trying to bicker with you ... I just don't have high confidence in what the Talking Heads say and do.

OK, so what are the exceptions?

4 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Is Princess not talkng of making pax exceptions for religious and health reasons?  

Then stating that pax won't be permitted to board IF ports of call require vaccinations.  If all are vaccinated, should not matter what ports require.

I'm confused by Princess' mixed messages.

14 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

They referenced exceptions for “religious and medical” reasons but they had to ensure compliance with the CDC mandate which allows a maximum of 5% of the passengers and 2% of the crew member to be unvaccinated.

Basically 95% of the passengers and 98% of the crew have to be fully vaccinated to comply with the CDC mandates.

Also if you are booking a child under 12 years old the booking system will block you from making a reservation if the ship has reached 5% unvaccinated passengers.  You would then have the option to go on a waitlist. 

Edited by Syracusefan44

40 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Duke Christopher has just joined Majestic Princess crew as ED (flew over from the UK). He is fully vaccinated and is doing a 5 day quarantine in his cabin first. 

His video story included Captain Dino Sagani announcing over the PA system that Majestic Princess would be doing a test cruise before the July 25th cruise. (I guess it could be an unofficial one without passengers but still a bit of a mixed message!)

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

They referenced exceptions for “religious and medical” reasons but they had to ensure compliance with the CDC mandate which allows a maximum of 5% of the passengers and 2% of the crew member to be unvaccinated.

Basically 95% of the passengers and 98% of the crew have to be fully vaccinated to comply with the CDC mandates.

Also if you are booking a child under 12 years old the booking system will block you from making a reservation if the ship has reached 5% unvaccinated passengers.  You would then have the option to go on a waitlist. 

OK, I am a Christian...not what this post is about, but if my religious or medical said not to cruise...then I would not, as there  many others cruising.  My husband had cancer 5 years ago and was recovering...it was our choice to cruise, yes we stayed away from everyone and he was on the balcony, but I would never have him sick and make others sick.  It is time everyone looks out for others.  Yes, it would suck not to cruise, but I would not put others in jeopardy or be able to live with the fact someone got sick because I chose not to get vaccinated.  There are a lot nanas and papas on board.  People can't be selfish and be in the me mode.  That is not good.  There is no way any cruise line can monitor who is and who is not vaccinated.

• Like 1

I just want to say...all of you on CC here know so much information and I appreciate each and every one of you and your thoughts...whether I agree or not.  There are so many times I learn information I would not have.  So THANK YOU TO ALL WHO POST...good or bad, it always makes me think and I am grateful for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

The Princess VP of Sales just stated on a webinar that 100% of the crew will be vaccinated. 

I know to a certainty that the crew member I spoke of is joining later this month, and has not been vaccinated.

So, I disagree with the VP of Sales' statement.

However, it probably is technically correct.

"100% of the crew will be vaccinated"

is true!

...at some unknown, future date.

22 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I know to a certainty that the crew member I spoke of is joining later this month, and has not been vaccinated.

is true!

Yes, some future date after joining the ship.  This thread is full of more back and forth speculation and even though your friend may join the ship not yet vaccinated, perhaps it is happening shortly thereafter.  Perhaps sometime you will get clarification on this.

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Apart from the fact, that in Europe at least, you cannot jump the queue for vaccinations,  so the crew cannot be vaccinated ahead of the citizens of the countries where the ships happen to be berthed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Why not J&J? Then its just 1 shot with efficacy 14 days later. Easy peasy

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

is true!

98% of the crew must be vaccinated or Princess Cruises is violating the mandate set forth by the CDC.  I believe Princess intends to vaccinate all their crew before passengers board their ships but they would be allowed to have 2% of them unvaccinated. 

7 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Yes, that is for the Alaska cruises and any cruises sailed under the CDC CSO.  It's TBD for the cruises in the rest of the world.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

98% of the crew must be vaccinated or Princess Cruises is violating the mandate set forth by the CDC.  I believe Princess intends to vaccinate all their crew before passengers board their ships but they would be allowed to have 2% of them unvaccinated. 

The person I mentioned is not joining a princess ship sailing from a US port.

• Thanks 1