Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

This is what I meant by confusing the terms.

It is Emergency Authorization, not Emergency Approval.  

The term "Approval" is reserved for when the FDA takes action to approve it (or not).

So when you type "approval for 12-15 year olds" it gets misconstrued.  IMHO it is not obvious you meant "emergency [authorization]".

Just pointing out an example of how this has turned into much confusion and misunderstanding.

But to further confuse matters, isn't it the FDA that gives the emergency authorization? You make it sound as if they only do the final approval.

And BTW, thanks for the correction.

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That would be nice, especially because DW teaches art in an elementary school. But I think it is a bit optimistic. And we don't want the process rushed. I heard Dr. Fauci in an interview say he was hoping for the vaccine to be available for younger children by November.

My wife teaches kindergarten.  She is vaccinated so she doesn't worry about the kids being vaccinated or not.  Doesn't affect her or the other teachers and faculty in the school since they are all vaccinated.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But to further confuse matters, isn't it the FDA that gives the emergency authorization? You make it sound as if they only do the final approval.

And BTW, thanks for the correction.

Yes, FDA is the final stamp for EUA.  I did word that a bit awkwardly.  Sorry.  

Just now, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes, FDA is the final stamp for EUA.  I did word that a bit awkwardly.  Sorry.  

Yep and the applications were just submitted on June 1st by Moderna and early May by Pfizer... so figure 9-10 months for the FDA to research all of the data and then a final approval -- if they approve.

I guess I should have known better than to book a cruise for my son's 12th birthday! Of course this was postponed from his 11th birthday. I have until September I guess, since we cruise in December. Same issue on RCL that we have booked as well. I want him vaccinated, don't get me wrong, but it varies so much as to whether I can get it for him by birth year or have to wait for birthdate. I guess we'll see how it goes. I really just want to be able to cruise again (as we all do).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Take a minimum of 10 months from application to approval. Now if we are talking about Emergency Use order, than that is different.  The COVID vaccines have NOT been approved for ANY AGE yet and won't be until probably early 2022.    EUA is a difference matter.  EUA does not make the vaccines FDA approved.  

Pfizer and Moderna both asked for priority review - that means approval within 6 months.  There will likely be full approval for both before the end of 2021, and possibly well before.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

So much talk about what age the vaccine is "approved" for...

To be clear there is no "approved" vaccine for ANY age group. 

There is an "emergency use authorization" for 2 vaccines for 18+ and 1 vaccine for 12+.  The soonest ANY vaccine becomes "approved" is ~10 months from now.

No - Pfizer and Moderna both requested priority review of their applications.  That means within 6 months - so before the end of the year at the latest, possibly much earlier.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Did it take that long for Pfizer to get their approval for 12-15 year olds?

No. The difference is that the dosage is different than for younger children so they will have to go to the independent advisory panel which makes the process longer.

• Like 1

Great news for cruisers, terrible news for Desantis. He'll have to get an injunction, fold like a cheap suit, or delay the resumption of cruising. Just glad Carnival has made a decision and I completely agree with her assessment about guests experience being the priority. Vaccinated cruises help to deliver a product we expect.  

• Like 4

I think short-term, vaccines will be necessary to cruise. She mentioned maintaining the guest experience, which would be very restricted if unvaccinated are allow to cruise at this time.

My guess is that everyone's hope is that once cruise lines are carrying passengers, protocols are tested, new cases of Covid are zero or very minimal and manageable, then the CDC will further lift restrictions (as they should) and all of this becomes a moot point in terms of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.

Edited by Keys2Heaven
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, txgranny said:

Wow, my cruise is Vista Aug 28th and although myself and daughter are vaccinated my 4 yr old granddaughter is not able. This is heartbreaking as I'll have to cancel, lose $650 OBC. Ugh

Call your TA or PVP and switch the cruise to next summer and hopefully the OBC will transfer as well.

1 hour ago, LHARTWICK said:

According to a conversation I had with my TA yesterday, ALL passengers will be required to be vaccinated regardless of line.  She also said the same for passports - must have in order to board.  No problem for us - we are ready!

That is interesting about the passports.  That will cause even more cancellations for the summer.  My husband and I are vaccinated and have passports, so we are ready to roll.  I do have sympathy for people who have to change their plans, but this has always been an extremely fluid situation.

3 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

Holy smokes, if this is true then it's the best news I've heard in weeks!! 

I'm hoping it's their policy till the CSO expires on November 1.  This means it will be in effect for our Halloween Mardi Gras cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I think short-term, vaccines will be necessary to cruise. She mentioned maintaining the guest experience, which would be very restricted if unvaccinated are allow to cruise at this time.

My guess is that everyone's hope is that once cruise lines are carrying passengers, protocols are tested, new cases of Covid are zero or very minimal and manageable, then the CDC will further lift restrictions (as they should) and all of this becomes a moot point in terms of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.

This and considering we in the US are now at a 7 day rolling average of just 15k new cases a day down from 49k a day just a month ago and a high of 250k+ a day back at the beginning of January, very positive progress. That means we are at around 30 cases per 100k people. I think I have stopped being simply cautiously optimistic and am just downright optimistic. 😀

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

And no kids.  Going to make a lot of folks happy.  

Also, will break a lot of hearts as well.

Those hearts can mend over time.  It'll be a one time thing lasting about 10 weeks or so from mid August till end of October. 😃

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Those hearts can mend over time.  It'll be a one time thing lasting about 10 weeks or so from mid August till end of October. 😃

Nonsense. There will be plenty of kids. Plus she hinted at working with the CDC to accommodate those with children under 12 to sail as families. Maybe that's what the 5% is for. Who knows? You anti-kid folks shouldn't break out the party hats just yet.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That is interesting about the passports.  That will cause even more cancellations for the summer.  My husband and I are vaccinated and have passports, so we are ready to roll.  I do have sympathy for people who have to change their plans, but this has always been an extremely fluid situation.

Our passports were expired for over a year (what was the rush, I thought!), but we renewed them earlier this year - in preparation. Now we're good for 10 more!  🙂

Tom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Our were expired for over a year (what was the rush, I thought!), but we renewed them earlier this year - in preparation. Now we're good for 10 more!  🙂

Tom

Nice timing!  It pays to be prepared for us.  Vaccination.  Check.  Passport.  Check.  Travel insurance.  Check.  (We have an annual policy).  Flying in a day early.  Check.  Cruising means so much to us that we are willing to do everything possible to make it happen.

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Nonsense. There will be plenty of kids. Plus she hinted at working with the CDC to accommodate those with children under 12 to sail as families. Maybe that's what the 5% is for. Who knows? You anti-kid folks shouldn't break out the party hats just yet.  

I listened too, and read it as vaccinated but .. able to cruise with more than 5% unvaccinated. .. why else say they are working with the cdc to come to a compromise.  If it was just what the cdc says, 5% they wojldnt be negotiating with the cdc.  Imo. They need more than 5% allowed. 

27 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wouldn't believe hearsay. I've seen zero about mandatory passports. It's FUD at this point.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I wouldn't believe hearsay. I've seen zero about mandatory passports. It's FUD at this point.  

I think she meant passports to enter another country. Those are still required.

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

In a way, this whole thread is "hearsay"... Christine Duffy didn't make any specific policy announcements.  

• Like 1