Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0608USA.thumb.png.9d5cfdbc3d3c94c78f11def131b4ab28.png

0608Europe.thumb.png.d27f68bcdf2eae324671cdd517ae2ca9.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Name your poison day

In modern parlance, "name your poison" is a phrase most commonly spoken by a bartender when they ask a patron what type of drink they are having. Name Your Poison Day is a day dedicated to making decisions and choices, whether they be among good or bad options. But, since "poison" is in the phrase, there is a negative connotation and more often than not the day is about choosing among various bad options.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.   A special salute to best friends and oceans, especially among this group.  I'll pass on the poison.  Whether I succeed at first or not, I'll pass on the sky diving.  I visited Shimizu on my 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia.  I don't eat seafood so I'll take the spaghetti without it.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Carmelized Orange and Grapefruit Cocktail, and Pan Roasted Barbary Duck Breast as served on MS Prinsendam June 8, 2015.

Care list:

Kakalina facing more aggressive than thought cancer

Welfare of furloughed crews

RIP StLouisCruisers’s DS

RIP St. Louis Cruisers’ niece’s twin grandchildren

Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana with long term covid

mamaofami DH Sam awaiting details on post stroke brain surgery

The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.

RIP ger_77's favorite uncle

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Seasick Sailor’s sister visiting

Belated happy birthday to HorizonChaser1957DH  and happy birthday to DD

second jab for highscar

Nieuw Statendam still in Port Everglades

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone.   

I think I'll concentrate on Best Friends and Ocean Day.    Hopefully, we can do more to keep our oceans clean.  Cutting down on the use of plastic might help, even if just a little bit.   I'll always celebrate best friends, even when they are across the country from me.

I haven't been to today's port, so I'll look forward to the pictures from those of you who have.  I think this port of the day idea is a great way to see new ports and decide where you want to go in person or, as it happened in the case of the Komodo dragons, where you don't want to go.  I'm sure some of you are making a list of places you have to visit.  

Today's meal sounds good.  And, guess what!   It contains arugula!   I'd love it with a substitute for the pasta.   Zucchini swirls or some other vegetable based substitute would be good.   Roy's alternative also sounds good.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/spaghetti-with-pinot-grigio-and-seafood-recipe-1947105

1484627772_spaghettiwithpinotgrigioandseafood.jpeg.9230afbdd9f5fed8423f44c2bec835b1.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning.Thanks for the Dai;y, Rich. World Ocean Day is perfect for this group. I love Henny Youngman - king of the one-liners.

Both dinner suggestions sound great. I hope everyone enjoys a happy and healthy day.

Jim

• Like 22

Good morning and thank you for the daily report Rich.  Best friends are a treasure that shouldn’t be taken for granted.  It’s too early to name my poison although my coffee is delicious. Our oceans are so important and we need to respect them.  Funny quote by Youngman. Since we’re laying low on carbs I’ll have to pass on today’s dish but it looks nice!   I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos of it, love these armchair travels.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and Happy ___________ to everyone celebrating an event today.  

• Like 27

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.   A special salute to best friends and oceans, especially among this group.  I'll pass on the poison.  Whether I succeed at first or not, I'll pass on the sky diving.  I visited Shimizu on my 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia.  I don't eat seafood so I'll take the spaghetti without it.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Carmelized Orange and Grapefruit Cocktail, and Pan Roasted Barbary Duck Breast as served on MS Prinsendam June 8, 2015.

Care list:

Kakalina facing more aggressive than thought cancer

Welfare of furloughed crews

RIP StLouisCruisers’s DS

RIP St. Louis Cruisers’ niece’s twin grandchildren

Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana with long term covid

mamaofami DH Sam awaiting details on post stroke brain surgery

The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.

RIP ger_77's favorite uncle

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Seasick Sailor’s sister visiting

Belated happy birthday to HorizonChaser1957DH  and happy birthday to DD

second jab for highscar

Nieuw Statendam still in Port Everglades

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, thanks for the Care and Shout out list.  Hope your meeting with the Doctor went well.

• Like 12

Good  morning  and  thanks  to  all  for our  Daily. It  might  have  been  my  imagination  but  the  humidity  didn't  feel  as  bad  this  morning  so  the  loyal  Fred  and  I  walked  the  sleeping  neighborhood.  I  looked  it  up  when  we  returned  in  a  melted  state and  it  was  80%  with  a  temp  of  77 . It  was  six  am.

I  heartily  salute  World  Ocean  day  and  Best  friends. I am  blessed  in  this  life to  have  DH  and  my  long  time  BFF  with  me  still,45  years  later. Now,  naming  the  poison ...  in  terms  of  decisions and  choices  made there  are  many  but  the  best  was  to  get  married  to  DH.

I  like  the  recipe  but  doubt I  will  make  it  today. I  am  into  my  hot  weather  rotation,using  the  famous  crack  pot  or  Instapot  instead  of  turning  on  the  stove.Chili  is  being  made  today  and  already  smells  great  .

@Seasick Sailor, enjoy  your  visit  with  your  sister!  There  is  nothing  like  having your  family  member  right  in  front  of  you  again  and  sharing  a  meal.

@mamaofami, I  hope  your  DH  Sam  is  feeling  better  and  that  he  did  well  with  the  evals.

@kazu,  I  remember  dreaming  of  ice  cream  last  night  and  it  was  so  much  fun. Thanks!

Terry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

G'day everyone.  Thanks for our Daily today Rich, and to Roy for our Care and Celebrations lists.  Prayers to all who are in need and cheers for all on the Celebrations list.  I love Best Friends Day and World Ocean Day, but can take or leave Name Your Poison Day.  I'm not a big mixed drink person but do love my wine!

I've never been to Shimizu, Japan.  I need to book a Japan cruise because I seem to be lacking in that area.  

I think I'll heed Henny Youngman's advice.  One of my nieces (DB's daughter) used to skydive a lot but had an accident in 2010 and has never been the same.  A photographer skydiver dipped in front of her just before landing and with the interference she plunged 30 feet to earth.  Once on the ground, she had a stroke in addition to her injuries.  She used to work in radiology but has never worked another day since then.  

I'm off to a medical appointment at noon today, just about the same time today's rain starts.  Isn't that always what happens?  

Take care everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is Best Friends Day, ... and World Ocean Day

We Dailyites certainly are Best Friends every day - as well as being @cat shepard's adopted family. Wouldn't it be loverly, as Eliza Doolittle would say, for all of us to hold a Meet & Greet today on a BHB? Guess we'll settle for a virtual M&G.

• Like 23

Good morning.  How appropriate it's Best Friends Day as my bestie from Ohio is visiting for the month.  My poison would be a Bahama Mama at the Lido Pool, on the Ocean. Bought face masks from 4Oceans who uses the money to clean up the Oceans.  Loved Henny Youngman's sense of humor.  The meal sounds good but will skip the Arugula. 

Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Major prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  Toasts to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Negroni:

The Negroni is a popular Italian cocktail, made of one part gin, one part vermouth rosso, and one part Campari, garnished with orange peel. It is considered an apéritif. A traditionally made Negroni is stirred, not shaken, and built over ice in an old-fashioned or rocks glass and garnished with a slice of orange. Wikipedia

Ingredients:
1 oz (1 part) Campari,
1 oz (1 part) Gin,
1 oz (1 part) Sweet red Vermouth
Preparation: Stir into glass over ice, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks
Standard garnish: Orange peel
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.01.04 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Best Friends are certainly something to be celebrated and we must take care of our oceans!

" Pick your poison" was an expression my dad used all the time.

I too love the port of the day. It has been wonderful seeing the pictures and perhaps putting a few places on future travel lists.  Unlike @dfish I am anxiously looking forward to seeing the dragons on Komodo Island. It will quite the adventure, just will tell DH not to shave that day! LOL

Our prayer list is longer than our celebrations. Please take care of yourselves!

Taking DD to Jetty Park today. She loves going along the jetty. You can see all sorts of marine  life and a ship or two.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 28

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Best friends and our oceans are both something to cherish and protect.

Haven’t heard “name your poison” from anyone in a long time.

275ECB33-8AF9-46BB-BB9C-D668283570EE.png.19c3a2f99ec0eb10e51c157e01d69f7b.png

I’ll pass on the Youngman quote and skydiving especially after the story that @StLouisCruisersshared. 

The meal suggestion sounds good sans spaghetti.  After all seafood and Pinot Grigio is a great combination 😉 

@mamaofamihope Sam is recovering well and the report is good 🙏🏻 

@summer slopeI’ve had that drink in Italy and found it very refreshing.  👍 Thanks for the recipe.

Another hot one today, but I’m not complaining 😉 

Garden Club Participants - take care in the heat and humidity.  Don’t work in the hottest hours and if you have shade in your garden, choose to work there a part of the time and don’t forget the water!  

I got quite a bit done yesterday in the “off” hours.  Going to try to do more today strategically.

12B6B276-3143-47B7-B727-F780AE852B0F.jpeg.2608f6f28e81ded1aafa267579e8bd04.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

E60AB0B4-B4CE-4A11-9DFA-3ECFE5D7E9E3.jpeg.1677045c9a297746fb9acab3183a629c.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 39
  • Haha 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  The heatwave continues and the weather forecast has rain for this afternoon.  I hope that the rain comes and cools things down.  Excursions were posted for the NA cruise to Alaska.  I downloaded the pdf and will review them in between meetings.  I hope that everyone has a nice day.

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a wild combo of days! Cheers to best friends! I will name my poison later. And if everyone would take their water bottles and trash with them when they leave the beach - that would certainly help our oceans!

Roy , thank you for our lists. Morning Dailyite family! A lovely morning here. No marine layer. A semi normal day here. Trying to wrap up my estate planning, so I can tuck it away and move on. Our Iceland trip organizer let us know that Iceland is no longer requiring COVID testing when we land at the airport, and we do not not have to stay quarantined in the hotel until we receive our test results. We still have to have proof of vaccination and wear masks, but honestly, I would not be going if they did NOT require proof of vaccination. 

Lol on the quote. The meal sounds wonderful. I might substitute scallops for the clams. Less work. And as always, Debbie, your substitute for the carbs is great! Pass on the drink.

@smitty34877, you need to move to Florida to cool off! If you are close enough to the East Coast, those ocean breezes will make the humidity a bit more bearable. Good thing, because our “humid season” lasts a long time here. 

@Horizon chaser 1957, Laura this one is for your DD…

2E04376A-8853-485E-88E3-6AE8A025D642.jpeg.82f87f81bdab6cbbdb2a283e242f8916.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon by Mondavi

Drum roll, please - I remembered to include the wine’s name! Of course most of you are probably familiar with this label, but still - I remembered!

This Cabs vintages have ratings from good to very good. I chose the 2017 vintage, because it probably easiest to find. And it would be a great table wine choice. I found it available for as low as $8.99 online.  You might find it even cheaper locally. 
Winemaker’s Notes

Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine is a medium-bodied California wine that opens with enticing aromas of cherries, berries, rich cedar, brown sugar, and toast. This delicious red wine bestows flavors of berries, toasted marshmallow, graham cracker, and chocolate. Medium-bodied and with a pleasing complexity of flavors, this cabernet sauvignon wine pairs deliciously with grilled meats, tomato-based pasta dishes, and chili. Many of the grapes used to make this Woodbridge wine are harvested from California vineyards where warm days and cool breezes cultivate fully mature grapes that consistently produce well-balanced and fruit-expressive red table wine. Crafted to increase richness and soften tannins, this bottle of wine has a toasty caramel finish. Store this cabernet sauvignon wine at room temperature, then chill for 30 to 60 minutes and serve at approximately 60 degrees. Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi wines are fruit-forward and balanced, making them ideal for everyday enjoyment. Please enjoy our wines responsibly.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks Rich for our Daily gift. Love to my sisters and prayers for our Roy and all in need of prayers. 

I make a pasta dish similar to Debs recipe. I add LOTS of wine. I even put some in the sauce...😉

Woke up to one heck of a thunderstorm. Weather says thru 9am. I picked a perfect gardenia from our garden and have it in my sisters room. I'm so happy that I see her today!

My best friend will be 87 next week. Met her while we volunteered at the hospital since 2003. Although there's 21 years between us you'd never know. We talk several times a week and I miss her.

I believe we should all do our part in saving our oceans. 

Blessings,  prayers, cheers!

• Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! Every day is Best Friends day around our house - DH and I are truly each other's BFF.  I'm going to name the Aperol Spritz as my most recent poison - they're very refreshing in the late afternoon after working in the yard.  Hooray for the oceans; we have to take care of them.

Why anyone would willingly throw themselves out of a fully functioning aircraft mystifies me.

I like today's wine selection, one I've had several times.  LOL

We've been to Shimizu Ward - to visit the aunt of our DDIL.  What a beautiful area of Japan - with spectacular views of Mt. Fuji.   Auntie's home is nestled on a hillside in the forest in quite a magical setting.  Unfortunately, I don't know where the photos are, or I'd share them here.

We're expecting a 4 hour power outage this morning because the power company is replacing a transformer or something, so I'm going to get a couple of loads of laundry done before settling down in the pergola with a good book and some coffee.  I'm going to disconnect the computer completely, just in case the surge protector doesn't do it's job when the power does come back on.

I like today's menu suggestion, but DH has mentioned he'd like to barbecue some sausage tonight, so I'll make up vegetable packets to put on the grill to have along with them.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses (and Aperol, too!) to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25