Is there going to be a 3-Day Sale this year?

mnocket

12 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

True!  But I think the best discounts are few and harder to find.

The people who are asking and do not have a relationship with one of these TA/agencies would probably not get the better discounted rates.  If there are any out there right now.

I finally booked thru a TA recommended by more than one person here on CC.  Did not get a better discount.  And really did not feel I got the very best service either.

If you know of a TA who can beat this exclusive 'sale'. (which I assume they work with Princess on this???). Then I would would be happy to know!!!

Before COVID, we booked thru a better TA that I finally found out about.  I think that might have been thru this board too. I think they did offer a good discount.   (Different Cruise Line) But, sadly, all cruises got cancelled.  I don't think our agent is back to work with this agency.  But, we have reached out to another agent there!

I think you have a good point about discounting in the Covid times.  If our "go-to" agency had to pull back from their past discounting, I would expect others to do so as well.  Maybe the good times will return.  I would have stuck with them, but the price difference was just too much.  It could be that by now they have a different rate.  It used to be a reliable thing.  I expect eventually cruising will return to a new normal (I say new in that there are going to be less ships, but larger ships). 

If you are talking about a certain TA in PA, well I tried that a number of years ago and got the bum's rush based on what I was looking to book, so I moved on.  Glad you are reaching out to another agent at an agency that seemed to make you happy.  The agency we have our current bookings with, we used many years back (before finding our long-time "go-to" I referred to) and I do know the agent we dealt with is no longer with that agency.   But the guy I connected with was both friendly and efficient.  Hope it works out for you.

I wish I could give you a couple of referrals, but not allowed.  It was a process of trial and error for me, progressing from booking with Princess, to an agent that had group bookings with small OBC, to a bust of a TA thru this website (well I do believe she is a good TA, but wasn't going to save me money and I'd rather do my own thing in that case), to ultimately latching onto a couple of good discount agencies.  If you look around with Google you can find agencies that will compete for your business and that is a good starting point to finding one you are comfortable with.

Edited by Steelers36

Thank!

We haven't been frequent cruisers, and then COVID...  So we don't have a go-to agent.

I have considered Alaska on a different ship/itinerary, and would love to see Western Europe.  But, with my health considerations...  these might never happen.

I wonder if that one site where you request quotes and several agencies will give their quote/bid would be helpful?    I don't even remember that link right now.

I wonder if that would be a good bit of advice for cruisers who are thinking about using a TA?

Edited by Wishing on a star

9 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Thank!

We haven't been frequent cruisers, and then COVID...  So we don't have a go-to agent.

I have considered Alaska on a different ship/itinerary, and would love to see Western Europe.  But, with my health considerations...  these might never happen.

I wonder if that one site where you request quotes and several agencies will give their quote/bid would be helpful?    I don't even remember that link right now.

I wonder if that would be a good bit of advice for cruisers who are thinking about using a TA?

Yes, I believe many cruisers have found that the site where you post a cruise voyage you are interested in and multiple agencies will provide quotes and contact info in order to compete for your business.  It led us to a couple of good agencies with very good rates.  There is an expectation that you are using their services minimally and booking online if possible.  I expect service when necessary, but I don't expect to be contacting the agent with a hundred questions about cruising, Princess, the ship, or the myriad of Q&A's found here on Cruise Critic.  If someone needs that, I would recommend a full-service TA who should provide personal assistance or guidance to online resources.  

It's kind of like the full-service cashier and bag person at the grocery store versus self-checkout - except the darn grocery store doesn't give me a discount for doing the work.  LOL.

Edited by Steelers36

For my last cruise I used that site where online TAs compete for your business. 

I booked with the one offering the best OBC (300$ on a transatlantic Disney cruise) Once on board my OBC was missing 50$. It's not that much, but I felt cheated, many agencies offered 250$ so, I could have booked with them. 

I emailed my agent, she didn't respond, the agency didn't respond either, after multiple emails. I got the 50$ months after the cruise after putting in a complaint with the better business bureau (BBB). 

From now on I always check BBB before deciding on an agency. 

We're looking to book a January 2022 Southern Caribbean cruise aboard Regal, and Princess is currently offering 50% reduced deposit plus the OBC. Being a new Princess cruiser (myself, not my travelling companion), is this a good deal or should we wait for the sale in August? (Stupid question, but do you have to pay the remaining 50% of the deposit when you make your final payment?)

TIA! 

7 hours ago, accio_7 said:

We're looking to book a January 2022 Southern Caribbean cruise aboard Regal, and Princess is currently offering 50% reduced deposit plus the OBC. Being a new Princess cruiser (myself, not my travelling companion), is this a good deal or should we wait for the sale in August? (Stupid question, but do you have to pay the remaining 50% of the deposit when you make your final payment?)

TIA! 

Yes, you still have to pay the full cruise fare due at final payment.

If you think you will be cruising Princess again while on your voyage, do consider buying Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) for $100/pp.  They are fully refundable and serve as deposit on your next booking.  Not only that, but you will earn back some OBC - the amount depends on cabin category and length of cruise.  Back in the beginning, I used to buy one.  Now we keep several as never know how many trips want to book before being back on board.  

The amount of deposit has nothing to do with the cruise cost.  I wouldn't use that as a shopping comparator.  If you have not booked yet, the sale in August may be of value.  You may also find similar value with another agency.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:52 PM, accio_7 said:

Princess is currently offering 50% reduced deposit plus the OBC.

where did you find the reduced deposit info?

I just made a booking and had to pay a $1,200 deposit for the 3 of us, which is definitely not 50% off. The total booking price is $2,500.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

where did you find the reduced deposit info?

I just made a booking and had to pay a $1,200 deposit for the 3 of us, which is definitely not 50% off. The total booking price is $2,500.

That was a special for Father’s Day.   I think there were 3 days when it was active.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I am more concerned about the total bottom-line net cost and not the deposit.  And we can buy FCD's to permanently eliminate large deposits.  Highly recommend those.

yes, the bottom line is very important, but there is a huge difference between MSC's $400 deposit and Princess' $1,200 deposit for a comparable cruise.

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, the bottom line is very important, but there is a huge difference between MSC's $400 deposit and Princess' $1,200 deposit for a comparable cruise.

We always use FCD so the deposit is the $100 we paid for the FCD. Period. We also, of course, get OBC for having used the FCD for our deposit. I can find absolutely no downside. I'm always amazed that anybody who has sailed Princess even once before would ever pay a crazy deposit.

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

WOW!!!  Unless that is a very long cruise...that is a hugely expensive deposit. I've never heard of that. Maybe you should call Princess and have them confirm that the deposit is correct?

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

WOW!!!  Unless that is a very long cruise...that is a hugely expensive deposit. I've never heard of that. Maybe you should call Princess and have them confirm that the deposit is correct?

Hasn’t Princess gone to $400 per person deposits as the new standard?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

10 day cruse, $2,500 total

@Thraksometimes Princess doesn't have anything we want... We are very limited when it comes to timing and I am limited as to the ships my husband will agree to sail on (they have to be relatively new). It is my understanding that you have to apply this FCD to a particular cruise.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We always use FCD so the deposit is the $100 we paid for the FCD. Period.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

18 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

10 day cruse, $2,500 total

@Thraksometimes Princess doesn't have anything we want... We are very limited when it comes to timing and I am limited as to the ships my husband will agree to sail on (they have to be relatively new). It is my understanding that you have to apply this FCD to a particular cruise.

We buy FCD for $100 each. We keep several on hand. They are "in the bank" with Princess. When we decide on a cruise we use one FCD each to cover the deposit. That's it. Depending on the booking we get varying amounts of OBC as a bonus. We each get the OBC as we each use a FCD as deposit.

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

Additionally, we get OBC for owning at least 100 shares of CCL stock. This OBC is one per cabin.

OBC from CCL Stock

Sailings of 6 days or fewer $50

Sailings of 7 - 13 days $100

Sailings of 14 days or more $250

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

We buy FCD for $100 each. We keep several on hand. They are "in the bank" with Princess. When we decide on a cruise we use one FCD each to cover the deposit.

Thank you! So, I can buy FCD onboard, but not for a particular cruise, and use it later when I do find a cruise we like. I hope they don't expire too soon if ever.

I'll tell my friend about it as well. She and her family cruise on Princess exclusively, but she is not a member of cruisecritic and doesn't always learn about these neat "tricks."

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Thank you! So, I can buy FCD onboard, but not for a particular cruise, and use it later when I do find a cruise we like. I hope they don't expire too soon if ever.

I'll tell my friend about it as well. She and her family cruise on Princess exclusively, but she is not a member of cruisecritic and doesn't always learn about these neat "tricks."

Not sure how things will work in the future but the rule has been that they expired after two years. If you didn't apply them to a cruise within that time then they are automagically refunded to you. Note I said "apply them to a cruise" which means to make a deposit. The cruise could actually be well in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Not sure how things will work in the future but the rule has been that they expired after two years. If you didn't apply them to a cruise within that time then they are automagically refunded to you. Note I said "apply them to a cruise" which means to make a deposit. The cruise could actually be well in the future.

But we can ask for an extension.  If you have used some and booked something, or want to book something soon, it should work out.  If just sitting there for two years and no recent activity with Princess, maybe not.  But with all the Covid pauses, they may be more amenable to extensions these days and they also get to keep the cash longer.

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, Steelers36 said:

Princess had a similar thing at the beginning of this year when they offered the free cabin upgrade and if you also wanted the PLUS features, that was there as well.  We got a B type cabin for the F pricing and there was a free Specialty dining per person as well.  I don't normally get the PLUS.  If I had to re-fare for it now, it would be a very bad idea.  If I could add it on for $40/pp/day, it's still an option, depending on what I might do about wine for next cruises.

I booked using the sale you are referring to but was disappointed not to be able to reserve the specialty dining in advance since Princess told me they choose which restaurant I will get to try and when after I am on board.  

4 minutes ago, 2cat4garden said:

I booked using the sale you are referring to but was disappointed not to be able to reserve the specialty dining in advance since Princess told me they choose which restaurant I will get to try and when after I am on board.  

Yes, this has been typical of SD promos in the past.  But perhaps you may not know that as soon as you are on board, pick you own location, date and time and change the res if you have been given a default and don't like it.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, this has been typical of SD promos in the past.  But perhaps you may not know that as soon as you are on board, pick you own location, date and time and change the res if you have been given a default and don't like it.

That was what I was planning to do depending on what they assign.  I was surprised that it was not disclosed that Princess assigns the SD before I made the booking.  I am savvy to it now..lol.