Waiting for tomorrow’s announcement is hard!

JEANMR1

13 hours ago, zzdoug said:

Possibly, but whether or not you are vaccinated, you have a much greater probability of infection if your roommate/spouse/person-you-share-a-tiny-room-with is infected.  They are not statistically independent events.  The 5% represents the probability that a random person in the population is infected, given that they have been vaxed.  The probability that a vaxed person whose co-habitant is known to be infected will him/herself become infected would be much higher.  

5% reflects the likelihood of being infected with Covid in a vaccinated population vs an unvaccinated aged population. So if the general unvaccinated population has a 2% chance of being infected with Covid, the vaccinated person has a .1% chance of being infected. So person 1 in the cabin had a .1% chance of being infected in the first place. Then they certainly exposed person 2, who was also 95% less likely to catch Covid. So true, the two of them don’t have the .00001% chance they would of both catching Covid independently. But they do have a .005% chance of both of them catching Covid in this situation. Whereas any individual vaccinated individual has only a .1% of being infected. 

and yes, they have shown that the vaccine is still very effective in preventing asymptotic cases.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/covid-19-vaccine-associated-with-fewer-asymptomatic-sars-cov-2-infections

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 4:57 PM, zzdoug said:

Possibly, but whether or not you are vaccinated, you have a much greater probability of infection if your roommate/spouse/person-you-share-a-tiny-room-with is infected.  They are not statistically independent events.  The 5% represents the probability that a random person in the population is infected, given that they have been vaxed.  The probability that a vaxed person whose co-habitant is known to be infected will him/herself become infected would be much higher.  

My husband had it over Christmas/New Years.  I shared a bed with him the entire time, kissed him at New Years - didn't get it.  My son had it in October, neither my husband or I got it.  

On 6/12/2021 at 5:00 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Maybe they both had the AstraZeneca or J&J, which aren’t as effective.

News I read said both were positive with COVID and were ASYMPTOMATIC.  Whichever vaccine they got, it worked.  That is the goal and the job of the vaccine. 

• Like 4

Just now, BrotherCraig said:

News I read said both were positive with COVID and were ASYMPTOMATIC.  Whichever vaccine they got, it worked.  That is the goal and the job of the vaccine. 

Exactly.  Had it not been for the required testing at the end of the cruise, nobody would have ever known.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Exactly.  Had it not been for the required testing at the end of the cruise, nobody would have ever known.

That is the problem I have with the testing and then the news media running wild with it or things having to be done that is unnecessary.    If you test 100% of vaccinated people on a vaccinated cruise, you are going to have positives show up on the tests.  There is no way around that.  The vaccine do not prevent the virus.  The CDC knows this because they repeat this over and over again but they will make a big deal out of the positive test results.  As long as they are asymptomatic, it is all good.  The vaccines worked.  You know that.  I know that.  It's crazy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

That is the problem I have with the testing and then the news media running wild with it or things having to be done that is unnecessary.    If you test 100% of vaccinated people on a vaccinated cruise, you are going to have positives show up on the tests.  There is no way around that.  The vaccine do not prevent the virus.  The CDC knows this because they repeat this over and over again but they will make a big deal out of the positive test results.  As long as they are asymptomatic, it is all good.  The vaccines worked.  You know that.  I know that.  It's crazy. 

And the CDC has also said those that are vaccinated an asymptomatic do not shed enough virus to make them a spreader.

• Like 1

I didn't get the vaccine to prevent getting COVID.  I got vaccinated so I will be asymptomatic when I do get COVID.  Same reason I get the flu shot every year.  It's not to prevent getting the flu.

Hope, as days go by, that people will relax a little more and so will the guidelines.  But what do I know?  I am a NEANDERTHAL since I am a Texan.  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, ontheweb said:

And the CDC has also said those that are vaccinated an asymptomatic do not shed enough virus to make them a spreader.

Exactly.  We will see a lot of overreaction when vaccinated people on cruises get a positive for covid test result. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I agree.  There is absolutely no reason to test vaccinated people.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2021 at 8:11 AM, firefly333 said:

Sounds like you and cdc in same mind set...they say 0 is a goal. 

Well of course they are going to say zero is a goal.  Why wouldn't they?  A goal isn't something you always achieve, but it is something you certainly strive for.  Would it be OK if they said "x cases per day is a goal" where x is obviously non-zero by some useful amount?  No, that would be a threshold to lower/eliminate restrictions.

19 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

and it worked even better for all but two people.

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well of course they are going to say zero is a goal.  Why wouldn't they?  A goal isn't something you always achieve, but it is something you certainly strive for.  Would it be OK if they said "x cases per day is a goal" where x is obviously non-zero by some useful amount?  No, that would be a threshold to lower/eliminate restrictions.

I'd like a easier goal that could be met and cdc leaves cruises alone. I dont like their overbearing stranglehold. There is nothing to indicate they quit setting goals like 95% vaccinated..kids need to cruise too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That's a slippery slope. Wait until the data supports it as analyzed by experts and not Dr Googles.

46 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

THIS!! 👆

I tested positive for COVID on February 13. I was told to quarantine for 10 days or until I was 48 hours symptom free. I followed this guideline and actually added a day or two to make sure I was not exposing anyone else. I entered the hospital (non-related to COVID) on March 2, where they did a routine test on all patients after admission. I was still positive (yes, 17 days later!), meaning I then had to be transferred to the COVID wing. I was there for two more days, but the nurses and techs would not "suit up" after the first time they came in my room as they said there was no way I was still shedding the virus and able to spread it at that time. So, even with the virus, before the vaccine, there is some question as to how much it is shed from an asymptomatic person.

And for what it's worth, temperature checks for COVID are about as effective as patting down Grandma at the airport for security. I never ran a fever the whole time I had Covid, and DH only ran his fever overnight.

Edited by ScottsSweetie
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tkportersat said:

My husband had it over Christmas/New Years.  I shared a bed with him the entire time, kissed him at New Years - didn't get it.  My son had it in October, neither my husband or I got it.  

I didn't mean to imply that you will necessarily contract COVID.  Rather, you would have a greater probability of getting it if others in your home were infected, and your symptoms might be much worse if you did contract COVID.  Similarly, you can drive drunk or without a seatbelt a few times and you might not get hurt or hurt anyone else.  But your chance of getting into an accident is much higher if you drive drunk, and your chance of being hurt if you were to get into an accident is much higher without a seatbelt.

Edited by zzdoug

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'd like a easier goal that could be met and cdc leaves cruises alone. I dont like their overbearing stranglehold. There is nothing to indicate they quit setting goals like 95% vaccinated..kids need to cruise too.

And in the not too distant future the vaccines will be authorized (and likely later approved) for even younger children than the present cutoff of 12.

And the CDC is not going to leave cruises alone. They have a responsibility to keep communicable diseases from spreading to the country. They are not going to abdicate that just because you and the Governor of Florida and a few others on these boards want that.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, zzdoug said:

I didn't mean to imply that you will necessarily contract COVID.  Rather, you would have a greater probability of getting it if others in your home were infected, and your symptoms might be much worse if you did contract COVID.  Similarly, you can drive drunk or without a seatbelt a few times and you might not get hurt or hurt anyone else.  But your chance of getting into an accident is much higher if you drive drunk, and your chance of being hurt if you were to get into an accident is much higher without a seatbelt.

My post was mostly just saying that nothing about this virus makes a lick of sense. 

16 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

Exactly.  We will see a lot of overreaction when vaccinated people on cruises get a positive for covid test result. 

Out of cursiosity then, what would be the difference between a vaccinated asymptomatic person and an unvaccinated asymptomatic person?

Edited by FLAlaska

1 hour ago, FLAlaska said:

Out of cursiosity then, what would be the difference between a vaccinated asymptomatic person and an unvaccinated asymptomatic person?

First, vaccines reduced infection about 80%. Second, difference between asymptomatic vaccinated vs unvaccinated? Yes. If you put a unvaccinated person who is asymptomatic on a ship full of vaccinated people - no difference at all.  Won't matter.  If you put a asymptomatic unvaccinated person on a ship with other unvaccinated people, good chance you will have spread and people having symptoms.  Takes us back to the first sentence of this post.  Purpose of the vaccine is to reduce spread and reduce the severity of COVID-19.  Good thing it does that.  We wouldn't be cruising again any time soon.

Final note that goes with the Celebrity cruise, vaccinated people who aren't feeling sick might still trigger a positive COVID-19 test while their body fights off the virus, but aren't at risk of infecting others.