The Daily for Sunday Jun 13, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Weed Your Garden Day, Sewing Machine Day, and World Softball Day

Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it. Sai Baba

Meal suggestion for today - Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry

Drink of the Day - Tequila Sunrise

Wine of the day - Kung Fu Girl Riesling - Washington - White

Destination of the Day - Cruising Gulf of St. Lawrence

at Sea Gulf of California
Koningsdam Destination San Pedro eta 6/18

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 6/15

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0613USA.thumb.png.b8092bc112d143d3341bd725b7ebbe73.png

0613Europe.thumb.png.8be53b76242ebd73fd1ab4ae40340568.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I salute those who are good with sewing machines and weeders.  I played on a softball league with my church many years ago.  The Sai Baba quote is a real inspiration.  The stir fry sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Banana Soup, Tossed Seasonal Greens, and Chicken with Dried Cranberries and Orange Relish as served on MS Prinsendam June 13, 2015.

Care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

mamaofami DH Sam awaiting word on a post-op headache

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana awaiting lung biopsy Monday

HorizonChaser1957's recovering from lung surgery

Wandb’s sister undergoing aggressive chemo

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

TiogaCruiser on a camping getawauy

Completion of Seasick Sailor’s patio

Non-surgical solution for StLouisCruisers’ brother

USN59=79 finding grandfather’s grave

A sailaway with passengers on PTZ

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Tomorrow will be one month from my surgery.   I will not be celebrating.  It is also Roger's birthday, the first without him, and 4 months since his death.  I will celebrate Monday, one month from coming home from the hospital.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I have a lot of weeding to do!  I don't have a sewing machine.  I don't play softball.

Great quote!

Both meal suggestions sound good.  Not sure what we'll have.

It's supposed to be a nice day here, high of 22C and sunny.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  A toast to all who celebrate.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 20

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I salute those who are good with sewing machines and weeders.  I played on a softball league with my church many years ago.  The Sai Baba quote is a real inspiration.  The stir fry sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Banana Soup, Tossed Seasonal Greens, and Chicken with Dried Cranberries and Orange Relish as served on MS Prinsendam June 13, 2015.

Care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

mamaofami DH Sam awaiting word on a post-op headache

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana awaiting lung biopsy Monday

HorizonChaser1957's recovering from lung surgery

Wandb’s sister undergoing aggressive chemo

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

TiogaCruiser on a camping getawauy

Completion of Seasick Sailor’s patio

Non-surgical solution for StLouisCruisers’ brother

USN59=79 finding grandfather’s grave

A sailaway with passengers on PTZ

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Tomorrow will be one month from my surgery.   I will not be celebrating.  It is also Roger's birthday, the first without him, and 4 months since his death.  I will celebrate Monday, one month from coming home from the hospital.

Thanks for the Care and Shout Out Lists.  Your recovery has been splendid. I am not fond of hospitals either. Losing a loved one is always difficult.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

I used to love watching my dad play and later, coach softball.  And back in the day, was a huge Expo fan.  I’m a lousy sewer and admire those that are so talented on the machine.

Sadly I celebrate National Weed your Garden Day the entire season.  I have no idea why weeds can grow so well while flowers take their time.  LOL.

8276E035-FBCA-4EC4-9F2F-D2687B0144CA.jpeg.b8f60c873f3b018aa55f8f972f82b865.jpeg

That is a perfect quote for today and every day.  We need inspirational quotes.

F0A4CDA2-E64B-4037-B508-63FCA92359BD.jpeg.15ccc27a6a688548ba0f82fcc35a2521.jpeg

The meal suggestion is a good one.  I just might do that on the bbq tonight.

Well, we didn’t get as far as I wanted yesterday.  We got a lot done but...

So, we’ll keep going today, hopefully depending on how bad my limping is.  Otherwise, it will strictly be weeding (ugh).  DH and I were sitting on the porch the other night and the dogs were with us.  Marley (my Bernese Mountain Dog) always lays down and puts his head on my feet and I give him a back rub. Well, when he went down, he must have slipped and put his elbow on my foot.  Major scream LOL.  That’s a lot of weight.  So, now my poor foot is paying the price 😔 And of course, it’s the one I broke last year 😔 

E9AC40C9-BE6A-4907-A170-91E8FB959CBB.thumb.jpeg.e1c9869dd9892eb3d6a9db6cb06632df.jpeg

@rafinmdtomorrow will be a very hard day for you marking Roger’s birthday and his absence as well as the sad date anniversary of his death 😢 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

21F003C6-30D8-4707-8B88-34D9726FA2B3.thumb.jpeg.9ea6c84c284daa89361e217d8a58023d.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wild combination of days! 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Look for a way to celebrate Roger’s life tomorrow. Just reviewing your blog entries from the most recent trip you took together would bring back great memories. Morning Dailyite family. The meal sounds good as does Roy’s alternate. 

What an amazing and inspiring quote! Another lovely morning. The deer are out in force. I am still amazed that Bindi does not react in any way to the deer, but goes ballistic when we encounter a small tortoise on our walks. 🤔Off to the gym, food shopping and then pool time with my grand nephew. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Kung Fu Girl Riesling

This DRY Riesling is going on my list! Though the last vintage I found a rating for was the 2016 vintage, its ratings up to that point were 89-90. Many online distributors with prices as low as $9.99!

Winemaker notes

Kung Fu Girl Riesling White Wine is a vibrant dry riesling with shimmering aromas and flavors of white peach, mandarin orange and apricot. Crafted with fruit grown in vineyards in the Columbia Valley region of Washington state, this Kung Fu Girl wine is made with 100% riesling grapes. With a medium body and a crisp finish. this table white wine is ideal for pairing with fresh seafood, duck, pork and Chinese and Thai food. For best quality, chill this crisp white wine in the refrigerator for two to two and a half hours before serving at about 50 degrees. Please enjoy our wines responsibly.

• Vibrant and fresh dry riesling wine with fruity aromas
  • Crisp white wine with flavors of white peach, mandarin orange and apricots
  • Medium bodied premium wine with a crisp finish
  • Pairs well with Thai or Chinese foods, fresh seafood and five-spiced pork or duck
  • Washington state wine from the Columbia Valley growing region
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily,I look forward to reading and posting.

It is 12.35pm here in England 70°F and sunny.

We have been to church this morning and now we are eating a light lunch at Wynyard gardens 

No weeds to be seen here.

Graham.

IMG_20210613_115823.jpg

IMG_20210613_115846.jpg

• Like 32

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks for the Daily,I look forward to reading and posting.

It is 12.35pm here in England 70°F and sunny.

We have been to church this morning and now we are eating a light lunch at Wynyard gardens 

No weeds to be seen here.

Graham.

IMG_20210613_115823.jpg

IMG_20210613_115846.jpg

Looks beautiful Graham!  Pauline is as lovely as always. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  DH takes care of the weeds, of which we have plenty.  Sold my sewing machine when we moved south, and played and coached softball.  DSIL plays in an adult league.  Today's quote is super fantastic.  The meal is yummy, we have it often.

Thank you Rich for our daily respite.  It is such a wonderful place to spend part of everyday. 

Roy, thank you for your dedication to keeping the lists up to date.  Prayers to you for this upcoming week.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  🍹Toasts toour Celebration list.

Tequila Sunrise:

The tequila sunrise is a cocktail made of tequila, orange juice, and grenadine syrup. It's served unmixed in a tall glass. The modern drink originates from Sausalito, California, in the early 1970s after an earlier one created in the 1930s in Phoenix, Arizona. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Tequila, 1/2 oz (1 part) Grenadine syrup, 3 oz (6 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Pour the tequila and orange juice into glass over ice. Add the grenadine, which will sink to the bottom. Do not stir. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cherry, Orange slice
Drinkware: Collins glass

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 7.33.40 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.  

The sky is pretty dark here and rain is threatening.  I wish it would just come down and be done with it.  The gardens would love it and the weeding would be so much easier afterwards.  I do have a sewing machine and use it when I am working on a quilt.  I used to make my clothes, including a four piece suit - skirt, slacks, vest and jacket.   No need for that now in retirement and especially with the pandemic.  

Today's meal sounds pretty good.   I'm not sure what is for dinner tonight.  Probably salad.  

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a46827/beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry-recipe/

beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry-14.thumb.jpg.ed2b8d24874466f49c329d0302077d6c.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone,

A big Sunday thank you to this community and the support shared for good news and bad.  

Roy, as you have undoubtedly experienced, the year of “firsts” after a loss is difficult.  All of us will be thinking of you.

I’m glad to see Softball Day - Congratulations to the University of Oklahoma who won the Women’s College World Series last week!  

Many of us will get the questionable joy of extreme heat this week.  Drink water before the Tequila Sunrise!  I’m also going to try to remember last February when I didn’t think we’d ever come out fo the deep freeze.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning.

Thanks for the daily. The quote of te day is great. The meal suggestion  is a winner. Played a lot of softball back in the day. I hope everyone has a happy and healthy day.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 20

Good  morning  and  thanks  to  all  for  the Daily.  The  weeding  here  is  left  to  DD  as  plants  cringe  when  I  approach. I  remain  a  Garden  Club cheerleader  though  and  always  applaud  her  efforts.

The  last  time  I  used  a  sewing  machine  was when  pregnant and  economic  necessity demanded  that  I  make  maternity  clothes. I  truly  admire  those  with  serious  skills  in  this  area. DH  played  on  a  softball  league  for  the  hospital  we  both  worked  for. I  would  take  the  children  with  me  to  pick  him  up afterwards  as  there  was  often  beer  involved. We  all  enjoyed  watching  the  last  few  innings  with  the  sun  going  down.

@Seasick Sailor, the  patio  is  beautiful  and  looks  so  welcoming. I  hope  you  two  get  many  years  of  enjoyment  with  it.

@rafinmd, I  hope  you  can  find  some  comfort  in  memories  of  time  spent  with  your  brother. The  first  birthday  or  Christmas  without a  loved  one  is  very  hard.

@Horizon chaser 1957, I  am  so  glad  the  surgery  went  well.

@kazu, I  hope  your  foot  is  feeling  better  today. Ice  helps, as  I  am  sure  you  know

We  are  anxious  here  as  our  Tana  has  had  high  fevers  again,just  as  she  finished  the  last  round  of  antibiotics. I am  not  sure  that  they  can  do  a  biopsy  with  that  situation  but  we  will  wait  and  see. DD  and  I  resumed  catering  duties  and  brought  her  the  great  shrimp  salad  from  the recipe  earlier  in  the  week.

We  have  cruised  the  St  Lawrence  twice and  can't  wait until  we  can  go  again.

IMG_0865.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love all those sayings about life. I never was a gardener since Sam loves doing that. And as far as softball goes, I could never ever hit that ball and when in gym class, I would always count on walking. 

Sam went to rehab last night and they gave him some pain meds for the headache which they said is normal after his stroke and brain surgery. They have opened up visiting hours from a restrictive 3 hour window to twelve hours a day but only 2 visitors a day and they must arrive at the same time. They do a strict covid check for visitors which is good since it protects the patients.

And now to my tech problem. My daughter inadvertently unplugged a connection to Sam’s computer or printer, not sure which. I rely on it to print and when turned on it says connect wire to cable connection. That’s above my pay grade. I’ve looked all over for a place to plug in this wire but can’t find one. I’m hoping one of my genius grandsons will be able to fix it remotely or at least tell me what to do. There are so many wires, between the camera, printer, computer, laptop that’s connected to all. It’s a computer and wire mess for me.

Roy, so glad you can celebrate  your one month since surgery tomorrow .

Carol

• Like 33

Good morning all. Weeding is on my agenda this morning. I only got half done yesterday before it got too hot. Cooler now here but will be another scorcher. My sewing machine is resting again, I recovered some cushions for a friend’s glider rocker and turned my dignity robe into face masks the friends who supported me thru my radiation journey. So it rests now awaiting the next project, which may be more cushions I hear!

In the photo the cushions are just sitting on one of my sunroom chairs not on the rocker they are meant for. Have a great day everyone.

5014737A-A3EE-4094-B36E-FD41877BA4FE.jpeg

• Like 28

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We  are  anxious  here  as  our  Tana  has  had  high  fevers  again,just  as  she  finished  the  last  round  of  antibiotics. I am  not  sure  that  they  can  do  a  biopsy  with  that  situation  but  we  will  wait  and  see. DD  and  I  resumed  catering  duties  and  brought  her  the  great  shrimp  salad  from  the recipe  earlier  in  the  week.

Oh dear on poor Tana 😢 I hope they can do the biopsy soon 🙏🏻 How kind you both to resume catering duties for her ♥️ 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone!  A pretty morning here in Georgia (at least where I am).  I should be outside weeding at this very appropriate time, or deadheading the gardenia bushes and daylilies, or limbing up the crepe myrtle tree, but I have no energy for that.  We need groceries so I have to save my energy for that task.  Sewing Machine Day - there really is a day for everything, isn't there?  I have one and in the past gifted my DD and DDIL with one.  Their machines have been rarely used.  I have used mine for various tasks but never anything serious.  I made curtains out of sheets for my DGS's room once so they would match his bedding.  I've made Halloween costumes for the grandkids.  I made throw pillows out of fabric to match our wicker furniture cushions.  And of course I've used my sewing machine to assemble the cross stitch Christmas stockings I make the family.  But I would never make clothing for us to wear.  Kudos to those who can do that!  As for World Softball Day, I've never been talented in that area, but DH was on a team before with his work colleagues.  He was pretty good at it.  

Quite an interesting quote today.  Also Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is a dish I've often enjoyed.  The picture of it Debbie showed looks great. 

Cruising the Gulf of St. Lawrence is another of those slightly vague ports of the day.  Sort of like entering or exiting the Suez Canal.  I studied the map of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and see that I was at Corner Brook, Newfoundland before.  At the northern opening of the Gulf we've been to Red Bay, Labrador but that's sort of out of the Gulf I'd say.  Let me see if I can find any interesting photos of Corner Brook.  I remember it as being a rather suburban town.  Time to plunge into the Shutterfly account! 

• Like 23

20 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

And now to my tech problem. My daughter inadvertently unplugged a connection to Sam’s computer or printer, not sure which. I rely on it to print and when turned on it says connect wire to cable connection. That’s above my pay grade. I’ve looked all over for a place to plug in this wire but can’t find one.

If you will post the model number of your printer and a picture of the back as it sits now, someone here may be able to assist you.

• Like 18