The Daily for Sunday Jun 13, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Guess I need to Google that flavor. Just its name sounds nummy. 

Farrell Ice Cream Parlours had this sundae on their menu (vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, Spanish peanuts). 

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Farrell Ice Cream Parlours had this sundae on their menu (vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, Spanish peanuts). 

Ooh I remember Farrells,  and I miss Swensons chocolate chip orange!  

I love the Riesling discussion,  had a really nIce German one the other night at neighbors,   A bit sweet but not too much,  I think that’s why I prefer the German ones,  not too dry, but still smooth and delicious!   I think it was Urban Hof.  

@cat shepard can we have a Riesling tasting party?   

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Just in case I can not find it locally, I found lots of recipes for it. I do not believe there are any Farrell Ice Cream Parlours left. I need to check out my local ice cream places.  

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Ooh I remember Farrells,  and I miss Swensons chocolate chip orange!  

I love the Riesling discussion,  had a really nIce German one the other night at neighbors,   A bit sweet but not too much,  I think that’s why I prefer the German ones,  not too dry, but still smooth and delicious!   I think it was Urban Hof.  

@cat shepard can we have a Riesling tasting party?   

Let me see what I can come up with locally. I like dry, but smooth/soft. It is often difficult to find that balance. 

But I love the idea!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I would welcome any names of wines  you would like to share.

I had plans to visit the Finger Lakes region last June in hopes of exploring some of the wineries.  Though the world had other plans, it is still on my “To Visit” list. 

It's hard for me to make recommendations, because I've rarely had the same one twice. The Riesling from Lamoreaux Landing gets good reviews, and I've never been disappointed in any vinifera wine from Hazlitt 1852. Most of the Riesling growers are on the shores of Seneca Lake.

Other white varieties  grown in Germany and Austria also grow well here: Grüner Veltliner, which is the typical white grape of the Wachau district in Austria, is probably my most frequent purchase, but that's partly because I acquired the wine habit as a student in Vienna, more decades ago than I care to admit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

It's hard for me to make recommendations, because I've rarely had the same one twice. The Riesling from Lamoreaux Landing gets good reviews, and I've never been disappointed in any vinifera wine from Hazlitt 1852. Most of the Riesling growers are on the shores of Seneca Lake.

Other white varieties  grown in Germany and Austria also grow well here: Grüner Veltliner, which is the typical white grape of the Wachau district in Austria, is probably my most frequent purchase, but that's partly because I acquired the wine habit as a student in Vienna, more decades ago than I care to admit.

Thank you for this great info. Lamoreaux Landing has some great wines! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Just in case I can not find it locally, I found lots of recipes for it. I do not believe there are any Farrell Ice Cream Parlours left. I need to check out my local ice cream places.  

You're right, the last restaurant closed in SoCal in 2019. 😔

• Like 6

The destination of the day; Gulf of St Lawrence, is a large area.  My cruises there were both on the same ship, the once beautiful  and elegant Maasdam.  Two were in the merry month of May, not a great time to be there.  Our ports of call: 1) Sydney, Nova Scotia  2) Charlotte, Prince Edward Island. 3) Gaspe, Quebec. 4) Red Bay, Labrador

5) Sept-Iles, Quebec. 6)  Woody Point, NFL  This was a port call for Gros Morne National Park on the west coast of Newfoundland, just a little north of Cornerbrook.  I don't think Holland America returned there and instead uses Cornerbrook.  

Not all were the places where you dream of, but i'm glad I was able to experience all of them.

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
spelling
  • Like 12

Thanks to Rich and Roy for maintaining this site. 

@mamaofamiGlad to hear Sam is doing better and has been transferred to rehab. Prayers for his continued recovery.

@smitty34877Positive thoughts headed to Tana.  You are so kind to be so helpful to her and her son.

@kazulove the cartoons you post.  Look after that foot.

@rafinmd Celebrate your memories of your brother tomorrow.   Glad you are doing so well after your surgery. The Railroad Tunnel is open again, after being open for only a few weeks last year. 

We live very near where the St. Lawrence River joins Lake Ontario, just east of the beautiful pictures posted earlier. The Thousand Island cruises are nice to do, and you can stop at Heart Island to tour Boldt Castle, seen in one of the pictures. The river is beautiful, but can also be deadly.  We just learned that a former tenant of ours, a lovely 32 year old engineer, drowned in the river near here yesterday. Very sad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I also enjoy a good Grüner Veltliner.  Actually, I haven't met a dry white I don't like.

During our tour of Eastern Europe in the Fall of 2016, I also had the opportunity to try sturm (a different tasting experience) in Baden bei Wien, Austria, and I quite liked it.  Did you have it when you studied there?

DSCF1460.thumb.jpg.ef4b45a320f08bfec8aefb180cf9935f.jpg

DSCF1461.thumb.jpg.85bda97366be851d3527a8422e0ab17a.jpg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Tbay said:

We just learned that a former tenant of ours, a lovely 32 year old engineer, drowned in the river near here yesterday. Very sad.

Very sad indeed.  May he rest in peace.

Roy

• Like 7

Good evening everyone and Happy Sunday. I’m late today, we were busy today, went to TJ’s this morning and to Walmart and then the glass recycling bin. Have I ever mentioned that we hate the (fairly new) recycling system? No glass in our bin, it has to be taken to a designated glass recycling bin.  There is always such a mess of glass around the bin. Thank goodness it’s close but it’s a pain after so many years just putting it in our own bin. 

After we got home we went swimming, our pool is at that magical temperature of 86 or above. It should be because it’s darn hot 🥵, today was 112 and expected to be about that for the next week or so. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy.  I had a sewing machine when I was younger and made clothes for myself when we were first married. I wasn’t very good and not very patient so after it was stolen (our home was broken into back in 1989), I never replaced it. 

We have cruised the St Lawrence Gulf but I’ve posted those pictures before. I’m excited to go back in 2022, it’s one of my favorite cruises. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11

30 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

During our tour of Eastern Europe in the Fall of 2016, I also had the opportunity to try sturm (a different tasting experience) in Baden bei Wien, Austria, and I quite liked it.  Did you have it when you studied there?

I didn't. It has a very short season, because it's only starting to ferment and in just a few days it's beyond that point. Now, we won't talk about the amount of Slivovitz that I drank, in addition to whatever wine was around.

• Like 7

Thanks for all the daily information and  the photos.

Beef Casserole is on our menu this evening.

@Cruising-alongthank you for supporting the NZ wine industry.

@kazu sorry that Marley accidently injured you foot,hope it soon recovers, does it require an X-Ray?  

Have been to the dentist today, two composite fillings at the top of upper teeth, dentist showed me the before and after photos. 

Woke to thick fog this morning, it had mostly cleared by the time I walked along to dentist. Sun is trying to appear.   Temperature 13C.

Stay safe and well everyone.

• Like 13

Good afternoon everyone. It’s a beautiful sunny day here, about 17C, and we have just been to the beach with the dog. There are a few hardy souls in swim suits on the sand and a few wet suit clad surfers in the water. We like to sit on a bench on the grassed area and drink hot chocolate! 
This is a screen shot of an email I just received from Cruise Critic, in case anyone interested has not seen it. Still hoping for the November round Australia cruise. Sitting at the beach this morning we were talking about how much we miss being on a ship. But grateful that we can go about our daily lives with no restrictions. Best wishes to all who read and contribute, I read the Daily every day, but don’t always write, unless I have some pictures of the port of the day. Stay safe.

9251F251-AEAB-4413-B5D6-2D60C593E9FF.thumb.png.50cf48229b4417e1aa333afc7ddf9fd1.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, bennybear said:

I hate weeding, but it must be done!

We purchased a condominium a year ago and are looking forward to retiring there in the future. One of the benefits of condo ownership for us 'weeding averse' is that we are not responsible to remove the weeds from the beautifully cared for landscaping.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Tbay said:

The river is beautiful, but can also be deadly.  We just learned that a former tenant of ours, a lovely 32 year old engineer, drowned in the river near here yesterday. Very sad.

I am very sorry to hear this.  Prayers for her, her family and friends.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, erewhon said:

sorry that Marley accidently injured you foot,hope it soon recovers, does it require an X-Ray?  

Thanks.  DH doesn’t think it needs one, thankfully.  It’s walkable, just painful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tbay said:

We live very near where the St. Lawrence River joins Lake Ontario, just east of the beautiful pictures posted earlier. The Thousand Island cruises are nice to do, and you can stop at Heart Island to tour Boldt Castle, seen in one of the pictures. The river is beautiful, but can also be deadly.  We just learned that a former tenant of ours, a lovely 32 year old engineer, drowned in the river near here yesterday. Very sad.

I am so sorry. 32 is so young. May she Rest In Peace. Prayers for her family and friends.