The Daily for Sunday Jun 13, 2021

richwmn

Went out to check on the locals last evening. Mom was watching the kids, dad was out flying around.

Mom & one of the 3 eaglets seen here.

Sorry only took my cell phone.

20210612_211209.jpg

Edited by Ofmyheart
Forget something
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  While we don't have a garden, we have a lot of lawn, and DH usually takes care of the weeds.  We have a neighbour who doesn't take care of their dandelions, so they blow everywhere, and as you know, they can grow under even the harshest of conditions, so they flourish on our well cared-for lawn.  I used to play softball as a child, but haven't in years; I'm not sure I could even hit a ball now!

My sewing machine kept me sane during the pandemic - I'm not a good sewer, just a brave one - by making masks.  I just finished making our grandson's "magic blanket", and now have a bunch of fabric to make scrub bags for masks that will be donated to a northern community.

I love today's saying; if we've learned anything over this past year, it's to enjoy every day, as we never know what's coming.  And as always, I believe laughter is the best medicine.  I saw this yesterday and literally laughed out loud; I hope it will bring a smile to The Daily faces today.

1815801464_CatandDog.thumb.jpg.59dffe8f70b8b46654d51f467061f909.jpg

I like today's menu suggestion, and would love to sit on a BHB and enjoy Roy's, but with the temperature climbing, I'm pretty sure we'll be barbecuing this evening.  DH bought some mild Italian sausage that we'll try out tonight along with some vegetable packets and a small coleslaw.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 33

We haven’t cruised the St Lawrence on a cruise ship, but I have cruised (on a smaller vessel to navigate) the 1,000 islands.  It’s a unique spot in the St. Lawrence near Kingston, Ontario at Gananoque.

The BHB’s don’t usually go that far, but if you are in the area or even get off in Montreal, it’s not far of a drive.  It’s  a beautiful spot, full of castles, mansions and just houses.

Here are a few pics to inspire you (not mine):

154CD453-7FFB-42A7-98C5-E7F912A69C6A.jpeg.429e3f77678d139fa4226086bf99c6e7.jpeg

F8FE9B77-E21E-4D81-B2FD-9A3F39ADA213.thumb.jpeg.62707352cb7e671f21cbba218565102c.jpeg

E9C194A9-1022-4AC9-85E1-B615A8CDC6CD.thumb.jpeg.095cdbfc3163d007f371b46c0098e010.jpeg

The boats to tour there are very comfortable and it’s a great trip.

E71B4FF4-5DFF-412F-8B7D-11B0682CAE11.jpeg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  DH takes care of the weeds, of which we have plenty.  Sold my sewing machine when we moved south, and played and coached softball.  DSIL plays in an adult league.  Today's quote is super fantastic.  The meal is yummy, we have it often.

Thank you Rich for our daily respite.  It is such a wonderful place to spend part of everyday. 

Roy, thank you for your dedication to keeping the lists up to date.  Prayers to you for this upcoming week.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  🍹Toasts toour Celebration list.

Tequila Sunrise:

The tequila sunrise is a cocktail made of tequila, orange juice, and grenadine syrup. It's served unmixed in a tall glass. The modern drink originates from Sausalito, California, in the early 1970s after an earlier one created in the 1930s in Phoenix, Arizona. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Tequila, 1/2 oz (1 part) Grenadine syrup, 3 oz (6 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Pour the tequila and orange juice into glass over ice. Add the grenadine, which will sink to the bottom. Do not stir. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cherry, Orange slice
Drinkware: Collins glass

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 7.33.40 AM.png

Thanks, now I ask myself: "Should I try it?"

• Like 4

Corner Brook, Newfoundland is a city on the Gulf of St. Lawrence.  On August 27, 2018 we were nearing the end of our Seabourn Quest Iceland, Greenland, Canada cruise which started in Reykjavik and ended in Montreal.  The day before this stop we had been in Red Bay, Labrador and enjoyed a more rural town which happened to be loaded with black, biting flies.  Even if you used bug repellent, they would find a spot you missed and bite you unmercifully!  But it was worth it, thank goodness.

On this day in August we left the ship and took a shuttle bus to the downtown area.  Here is our view from the balcony.enhance

Along the way we saw this at an intersection.enhance

We were left at a square which included the City Hall and museum and some war memorials.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here's a nice little church on the main street we walked along.enhance

As you can see Corner Brook is nothing like ports of Red Bay or L'anse aux Meadows which we had already visited.enhance

This was supposed to be a mall, but believe me it wasn't very busy.  We ended up crossing the street to go into a pharmacy for some toiletry or the other, because once we disembarked the Quest on Aug. 30 we had to fly to Amsterdam for our next cruise on the Prinsendam.  enhance

Instead of taking a shuttle bus back to the ship we walked back, trying to get our daily exercise in.  That's the only way to combat the calories consumed on a cruise.  That or stairs!

Finally, approaching the ship.enhance

An ingenious way to paint the ship on the "water view" side of the ship.  Use your zodiacs, a large tarp, a long pole and get working!enhance

Before the dinner hour DH enjoyed either a Maker's Mark or a Gentleman Jack and did some reading while enjoying the view.enhance

My photos show we did not dine in the Restaurant that night, but we did sit outside on the pool deck and enjoyed dining at the Patio Grill.  The first photo shows some seafood concoction DH no doubt enjoyed.  I had chicken and corn on the cob along with a side of lobster mac and cheese.enhance

enhance

The next day we remained in the Gulf of St. Lawrence heading towards Quebec.  It was a foggy day as seen from the Restaurant windows at lunch time.enhance

enhance

The same evening  was a formal night and the Captain's Farewell and Crew Salute.  Always an enjoyable event at the end of a Seabourn cruise.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily!

Love the quote for today.

The Gulf of St. Lawrence from Lobster Cove Head Lighthouse in Newfoundland.

A.thumb.JPG.a70094b432fa7a8dc6a76190ddac503a.JPG

B.thumb.jpg.fcd5f5e499e5d4ebe9d198acbfc5ac26.jpg

C.thumb.jpg.d4c61e1a967d11be68df1bdd974d6d7b.jpg

Prayers for those with a need, cheers to those with a cause.

Have a great Sunday!

Lori & George

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  What a great quote for a beautiful sunny and pleasant day, perfect for playing softball.  Our “yard” is our roof deck so not much in the way of weeds.  I remember my mother at the sewing machine and my grandmother at the Singer that had the foot treadle.  We’re having today’s dinner on Wednesday but there’s no reason why I couldn’t have today’s drink, after all I got all my chores finished yesterday!  Loved cruising the St. Lawrence Seaway and hope to again soon.  Prayers to all on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today. I’m going to try attaching a photo of our yard.  C157F260-9563-4BDA-8592-7B2E9F6C3289.thumb.jpeg.73e75a5c131ad23ca4ac77d515e66dc5.jpeg

• Like 28

Good Morning!

A big thank you to all who contribute here.  Hugs 🤗 to those on the care list and cheers 🥂 to the celebratory list.

In October of 2013 we sailed from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale on the Emerald Princess.  We stopped at Corner Brook, NL, on 10/29, rented a car and took off for the hills with no real plan in mind.

Some scenes along the way

IMG_0031.thumb.jpg.551981241f5dd53135615e33fdb76f98.jpg

IMG_0033.thumb.jpg.a172dd45aa22f721bde2fdb5c3527ed8.jpg

IMG_0034.thumb.jpg.2fb19f054830e2335aeb9a56a7a14e30.jpg

IMG_0035.thumb.jpg.82a3827b68bee0c76eea836977856bba.jpg

Had to snap this since it's our surname 🤪

IMG_0040.thumb.jpg.bdca62f0aa27adea6a4ec6588b433cfa.jpg

IMG_0041.thumb.jpg.235793f6b0a5f681a7f1a508ae5c66cd.jpg

Nah, not our house!!

IMG_0043.thumb.jpg.e202a14b6d8e6e51e4b1aa9fa5bbcb67.jpg

What the heck is that white stuff hitting the windshield??  Guess we've been in Florida too long 😉

IMG_0045.thumb.jpg.d3ae9185cf5200b38903fcbad892b3d6.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thank you to everyone for this daily post of friendship. Kazu, be kind to that foot. Bernese Mountain Dogs seem to have a fascination with our feet, don't they? And I'm sure Marley will be back for his rubs today.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

We haven’t cruised the St Lawrence on a cruise ship, but I have cruised (on a smaller vessel to navigate) the 1,000 islands.  It’s a unique spot in the St. Lawrence near Kingston, Ontario at Gananoque.

The BHB’s don’t usually go that far, but if you are in the area or even get off in Montreal, it’s not far of a drive.  It’s  a beautiful spot, full of castles, mansions and just houses.

Here are a few pics to inspire you (not mine):

154CD453-7FFB-42A7-98C5-E7F912A69C6A.jpeg.429e3f77678d139fa4226086bf99c6e7.jpeg

F8FE9B77-E21E-4D81-B2FD-9A3F39ADA213.thumb.jpeg.62707352cb7e671f21cbba218565102c.jpeg

E9C194A9-1022-4AC9-85E1-B615A8CDC6CD.thumb.jpeg.095cdbfc3163d007f371b46c0098e010.jpeg

The boats to tour there are very comfortable and it’s a great trip.

E71B4FF4-5DFF-412F-8B7D-11B0682CAE11.jpeg

This brings back memories. When we were married DH planned the honeymoon and several days in Gananoque and the Thousand Islands was the primary destination.

Blessings to all who visit this thread. Have a wonderful day!

• Like 27

Blessed Sunday to you Rich, Roy, sweet sisters and fellow Daily-ites. 

I loved sewing for years,  especially when Allen was doing testing for weeks at a time. His mom gave me an adorable stuffed doll with yarn hair, bloomers and old time dress with lace, painted face. I made 25 and gave them as gifts.

Unique way to get rid of those pesky weeds:

image.png.6edcf0b664963f0d4474f7e4ec8c6a0b.png

I enjoyed playing softball over the years. One year a sanitation company sponsored our team. His name was Wheeler and we named our team "Wheeler's Pick-Ups"

image.png.8935c2005f8a808429e4176341296c65.png

Today will be lunch downtown with our Cav guys and gals. It will be a warm day.

Prayers to all in need. Cheers to all celebrations today! God bless y'all. 

We sailed NCL from Quebec to Boston Sept 2019.

0912191510_HDR.jpg

0917191438a_HDR~2(1).jpg

0917191332.jpg

0913191347-EFFECTS.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  It's ☀️, but it will be hot later. 

I try to get the weeds pulled every time I'm near the two fairly small flower beds.  When I was trimming the weeds the other day, I got to wondering who decided which plants were weeds and which were fit for a garden.  Maybe that's too heavy a thought for today.  🤣

Playing softball and I did not go together.  In fourth grade, I was always the last to be picked for a team.  My sewing machine sits idle most of the time, but I did make a few masks for us last year, and it gets the odd mending job.  When the DDs were young, I made a lot of their summer clothes, and  their Halloween costumes, but later they did not want me to make their clothes..  When we were first married I made some of my clothes, mainly easy skirts and slacks.  I obviously did not inherit my mother's or grandmother's sewing talent.

The quote by Sai Baba is good, and we should try to embrace it.

Tequila sunrise is one of the few mixed drinks I like.  A dry Riesling is my white wine of choice, but I do not care for Kung Fu Girl, which I've had on a BHB.  I much prefer Chateau Ste Michelle or Hogue, but not their late harvest wines which are sweeter.  Chateau Ste Michelle is a little drier than the Hogue.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your foot feels better.  The suggestion to ice it is good, but also you might want to keep it elevated, which I'm sure Marley won't like.

@rafinmd  We here on the Daily will celebrate your one month home with you and Roger's birthday and life, too.

@smitty34877  Sorry that Tana is experiencing high fevers again, and sincerely hope they don't delay the biopsy.  You and your DD are wonderful to do the catering and helping with her son.

@mamaofami  Good news that Sam is in rehab and got something for his headache, which they thought was a normal result of the stroke and surgery.  Hope you can get your computer fixed.

We have sailed the Gulf of St. Lawrence several times, the most recent in 2019 on the Veendam TA from Lisbon.  I'll go check my pictures.

Lenda

I just checked my pictures, and while I have pictures from ports in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, I don't have any while we were sailing.  I do have several of the lighthouse that others posted earlier.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Add information
  • Like 25

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I started the weed your garden celebration yesterday and will continue to celebrate it today.  That is a never ending battle.  Quick trip to the grocery store this morning and found one of my favorite ice cream flavors in stock and on sale, Turkey Hill Tin Roof Sundae.  The store rarely has it so I picked it up!  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

• Like 23

8 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I started the weed your garden celebration yesterday and will continue to celebrate it today.  That is a never ending battle.  Quick trip to the grocery store this morning and found one of my favorite ice cream flavors in stock and on sale, Turkey Hill Tin Roof Sundae.  The store rarely has it so I picked it up!  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

Tin Roof Sundae is one of my favorite flavors, but we don't see it very often.  Enjoy your ice cream.

Lenda

• Like 11

👍Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. Roy ...😥I'm sorry for your loss of Roger. I still consider myself a newbie to this site and appreciate all who share.

🍹In the 70's and 80's, I enjoyed Tequila Sunrise but somehow switched to wine. Nothing like a good Riesling in the summer but a Pinot Noir can't be beat.🍷

During the pandemic, we have spent more time outside gardening. The gardeners take care of the big stuff and we putter around with the pots, etc. 

🙏Prayers to all in need and at one time I was on a city league time as the catcher. ️The good 'ole days, lol.😉

Katie

20210613_070418.jpg

1622999938349blob.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Weed day is every day for me, unless it's raining like today.  Lately I've been spending a lot of my gardening time trying to get rid of a pesky, determined mole.  If he/they would just stay in the established perennial areas he wouldn't do as much harm, but he prefers to kick out bulbs, rampage through the lawn, and drive me nuts. It's the biggest reason I've started planting in large pots, they can't get in there.  I've tried just about everything but have had the most luck with "worms" you put down into the tunnels. But it can take awhile and by then the garden is trashed. 😡

In the past I sewed quite a bit, but not now.  I've loaned my sewing machine to DD and DSIL, who want it to sew patches on the boys' scout uniforms.

The meal sounds really good, but we just had Chinese food (yum) so it will be something else tonight.  A grocery shopping is on the agenda today, hope to get inspired about dinner. 😉  

We've sailed the St. Lawrence River several times, but won't post photos as they would be too much like what has already been posted.  

@kazuI hope your foot feels better soon, ouch!

@rafinmdthinking of you as you remember your brother's life and birthday.

@smitty34877how frustrating about the fevers that keep returning.  Prayers for a full recovery for Tana.

Years ago, when I did a lot of sewing, one of my sisters got the idea of making 3 dolls for our parents, each looking like us.  It was kind of a joke, really, but a lot of fun and my parents got a huge kick out of it.  Each doll's dress and accessories would incorporate what each of us loved doing.  One sister was a music teacher, her dress was patterned in musical notes.  The other was a librarian, (books), and mine, I love gardening and cats.   I wore a sunhat and sunglasses, the dress patterned in a garden theme.  I did all the sewing of the dresses, and my other sister got the wigs, hats, etc. for each doll. 

Here's mine.

560909172_Carolyndoll.thumb.jpg.94fc38ffab3f5e2f59b6441358aa5340.jpg

• Like 32

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

I used to love watching my dad play and later, coach softball.  And back in the day, was a huge Expo fan.  I’m a lousy sewer and admire those that are so talented on the machine.

Sadly I celebrate National Weed your Garden Day the entire season.  I have no idea why weeds can grow so well while flowers take their time.  LOL.

8276E035-FBCA-4EC4-9F2F-D2687B0144CA.jpeg.b8f60c873f3b018aa55f8f972f82b865.jpeg

That is a perfect quote for today and every day.  We need inspirational quotes.

F0A4CDA2-E64B-4037-B508-63FCA92359BD.jpeg.15ccc27a6a688548ba0f82fcc35a2521.jpeg

The meal suggestion is a good one.  I just might do that on the bbq tonight.

Well, we didn’t get as far as I wanted yesterday.  We got a lot done but...

So, we’ll keep going today, hopefully depending on how bad my limping is.  Otherwise, it will strictly be weeding (ugh).  DH and I were sitting on the porch the other night and the dogs were with us.  Marley (my Bernese Mountain Dog) always lays down and puts his head on my feet and I give him a back rub. Well, when he went down, he must have slipped and put his elbow on my foot.  Major scream LOL.  That’s a lot of weight.  So, now my poor foot is paying the price 😔 And of course, it’s the one I broke last year 😔 

E9AC40C9-BE6A-4907-A170-91E8FB959CBB.thumb.jpeg.e1c9869dd9892eb3d6a9db6cb06632df.jpeg

@rafinmdtomorrow will be a very hard day for you marking Roger’s birthday and his absence as well as the sad date anniversary of his death 😢 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

21F003C6-30D8-4707-8B88-34D9726FA2B3.thumb.jpeg.9ea6c84c284daa89361e217d8a58023d.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

Jacqui, sorry about another injury to your foot. I tried to email you, but couldn’t find your email.

• Like 10

Good morning, all! It is raining too hard to weed the garden today. Like Lenda, softball has never been one of my marketable skills. I once had an elementary school teacher who learned to send a particular classmate and I as out-outfielders. We were far enough from the action that there was no chance the ball would ever come into our zone. We would sit on the grass talking about life and idly watching the game from a safe distance. This worked out best for everyone. I’ve had a sewing machine for years, and just learned to use it this past year. Now when I recycle fabric into botanical prints, I can make something useful. My hat is off to those who can make actual clothing. That’s a completely  different skill level!

Beef and broccoli stir fry sounds good, but we have no broccoli. This is Dragon Boat Festival weekend. Yesterday I made Char Sui, and today I’m making Zongzi, the tradition rice dumplings made for this festival. I was introduced to them in Taiwan, and now make them every year. Those with the Char Sui will be tonight’s dinner!

Jacqui, take care of your foot. The elbow of a big dog carries a lot of pressure! Roy, my thoughts are with you on Roger’s birthday. The first one without him is painful indeed.

I have never cruised the Mouth of the St. Lawrence. That’s on the agenda for the fall of next year.

Happy Sunday, everyone! Remember the Sunday brunches on our BHBs?

002ECDC3-423B-4898-AA82-CD815F1EBA51.thumb.jpeg.fbefb180017dd0df330e873da3d0365c.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 24

Thanks Rich and Roy and all who contribute here. The suspense of getting on a BHB is growing as things change. Today will actually feel like summer after a cold wet week. I think I will attack some weeds and then do some preparation outside for my sister and bil’s visit in one week from today. I have finally bought grenadine for sunrises to share with my family but maybe I should have one later to just make sure I’m making them right. Thanks everyone for such a great place to come each morning and visit. 

• Like 21

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. I weeded yesterday, so I hope that counts. Softball is fun. Even though I don't sew much, I have my mother's machine (she was an excellent seamstress) and a simpler one I bought for me.

Great quote!

I like the meal and drinks.

I haven't cruised the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Thanks for the pictures from those who have.

It's warm and sunny here, with possible rain/thunderstorms this afternoon. I decided to put off yard work today and relax watching the French Open.

@rafinmd Thinking of you on tomorrow's sad anniversary date. Recall the wonderful memories you have.

@smitty34877 So sorry to hear of Tana's fever. Prayers for her.

@mamaofami Glad to hear Sam was able to go to rehab. 

@kazu I hope your foot feels better soon.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and enjoy your day!

• Like 20

Good morning to all contributors and friends of the Daily , I always look forward to read about the special days , the quotes and the care lists and of coarse where all of the BHB’s are at the moment .

Today will be another day closer to being able to get back on board of one of those Blue Hulled Beauties ……..but when ………(sigh )  ? 

I will do my part and show a couple of our pictures , from back in 2009 on board the Eurodam , of some places on the Gulf of Saint Lawrence a beautiful part of our country and from which I would love to see more of.

256px-Golfe_Saint-Laurent_en.png.4520acb3f9c01416991724ff5b1d24ec.png

DSCF0856.thumb.jpg.3e62a89a55667d21c1a13dc92d22c9ef.jpg

DSCF0860.thumb.jpg.1424e6dbc03f667739c349f689b2867f.jpg

DSCF0878.thumb.jpg.185de7e20a1bf3170d644933d3f63c25.jpg

DSCF0868.thumb.jpg.68156639b92014d2ad6b8298b4dc6845.jpg

DSCF0886.thumb.jpg.d86d2f76d212a7b5a5755ab67168d77a.jpg

DSCF0891.thumb.jpg.946e241df1b5946109084382455b60c2.jpg

DSCF0893.thumb.jpg.7a228c759de9c085980b2467c074bd8f.jpg

Have a great day everybody , no weeding for us today but we will be enjoying a nice BBQ at our DS and watch the big soccer game . 

Tony😄

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1