The Daily for Sunday Jun 13, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

. Kazu, be kind to that foot. Bernese Mountain Dogs seem to have a fascination with our feet, don't they? And I'm sure Marley will be back for his rubs today.

They do, indeed.  He is always sitting on DH’s foot.  Mine are off limits.  Sorry, to say but Marley will have a bit of a wait for his rub with my feet 😉 I’m trying to be kind to it 😉 

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your foot feels better.  The suggestion to ice it is good, but also you might want to keep it elevated, which I'm sure Marley won't like..

Thanks - it’s up.

59 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Jacqui, sorry about another injury to your foot. I tried to email you, but couldn’t find your email.

No worries at all, Carol.  Thanks.  FYI, if you can see signatures, my email is in it.

15 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I hope your foot feels better soon.!

Thanks kindly.  

• Like 14

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I salute those who are good with sewing machines and weeders.  I played on a softball league with my church many years ago.  The Sai Baba quote is a real inspiration.  The stir fry sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Banana Soup, Tossed Seasonal Greens, and Chicken with Dried Cranberries and Orange Relish as served on MS Prinsendam June 13, 2015.

Care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

mamaofami DH Sam awaiting word on a post-op headache

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana awaiting lung biopsy Monday

HorizonChaser1957's recovering from lung surgery

Wandb’s sister undergoing aggressive chemo

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

TiogaCruiser on a camping getawauy

Completion of Seasick Sailor’s patio

Non-surgical solution for StLouisCruisers’ brother

USN59=79 finding grandfather’s grave

A sailaway with passengers on PTZ

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Tomorrow will be one month from my surgery.   I will not be celebrating.  It is also Roger's birthday, the first without him, and 4 months since his death.  I will celebrate Monday, one month from coming home from the hospital.

Roy.

We are sending you our very best wishes for tomorrow.

Sadness too on Roger's birthday and his recent passing and even though we do not know you personally our thoughts and prayers will be with  you and your family tomorrow.

Sincerely.

Graham and Pauline.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

While reading what was posted since I wrote this morning it dawned on me that I have cruised the st. Lawrence. We did a Canada New England in 2008. My pictures are pre digital but I do have one to post. I toured pier 21 in Halifax and found a picture of the ship I immigrated on (as a 2 year old). The beaverbrae. We left from Bremen and disembarked in Quebec City in 1952. 2008 was also the first time I had been back to Quebec City since we immigrated. 

some interesting facts:

The Beaverbrae was built as the Huascaran for the Hamburg America Line by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg in 1938. She was built as a 10,480 gross ton ship with a length of 487.5 foot by beam, 60.3 foot, one funnel, one mast single screw and a speed of 17 knots. There was accommodation for 32 passengers. 

Purchased by Canadian Pacific on September 2, 1947, she was renamed Beaverbrae and rebuilt to 9,034 gross tons, one funnel, two masts and with cabin accommodation for 74 passengers and dormitory accommodation for a further 699. 

The Beaverbrae made her last voyage when she left Bremen on July 28, 1954.

Interesting as well that when the Ship sailed west to Canada it carried immigrants  and refugees but when traveling east to Germany it carried only Cargo.

A one way trip took 8 days.

96D1A109-32A4-4512-AB72-5E295B48CB31.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Removed incorrect info
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A dry Riesling is my white wine of choice, but I do not care for Kung Fu Girl, which I've had on a BHB.  I much prefer Chateau Ste Michelle or Hogue, but not their late harvest wines which are sweeter.  Chateau Ste Michelle is a little drier than the Hogue.

Super info, Lenda! I will tuck your preferences away for future reference. Do you remember what it was about Kung Fu Girl that you did not care for?

Ann

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I started the weed your garden celebration yesterday and will continue to celebrate it today.  That is a never ending battle.  Quick trip to the grocery store this morning and found one of my favorite ice cream flavors in stock and on sale, Turkey Hill Tin Roof Sundae.  The store rarely has it so I picked it up!  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

Guess I need to Google that flavor. Just its name sounds nummy. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Weed day is every day for me, unless it's raining like today.  Lately I've been spending a lot of my gardening time trying to get rid of a pesky, determined mole.  If he/they would just stay in the established perennial areas he wouldn't do as much harm, but he prefers to kick out bulbs, rampage through the lawn, and drive me nuts. It's the biggest reason I've started planting in large pots, they can't get in there.  I've tried just about everything but have had the most luck with "worms" you put down into the tunnels. But it can take awhile and by then the garden is trashed. 😡

My pest control folk told me the best way to get rid of moles/voles is to eliminate their food supply. Here in Florida, they eat grubs. 

So one 25 pound package of GrubEX later and my front and side lawns are free of the mole/voles. Hope your solution is as simple as mine was.

I had tried biweekly spraying a concoction that they hated the smell of. But I believe they started donning masks in order to escape the smell, since I started needing to spray at least once a week, if not more. 

Good luck!

• Like 16

Just a quick hello to everyone before we leave the coast and drive to Vancouver, WA.

No weeding here today.  Raining.  Storm last night sounded like our winter ones with the rain and wind.  Weeds will be back in all their glory end of the week when we get sun again.  But we sure do need the rain.

Great quote.  Enjoyed our trip on the St. Lawrence.

Thanks for everyone's posts.  A ray of sunshine on this dreary day.  

Prayers to all.  Stay safe and well.

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Just a quick hello to everyone before we leave the coast and drive to Vancouver, WA.

No weeding here today.  Raining.  Storm last night sounded like our winter ones with the rain and wind.  Weeds will be back in all their glory end of the week when we get sun again.  But we sure do need the rain.

Great quote.  Enjoyed our trip on the St. Lawrence.

Thanks for everyone's posts.  A ray of sunshine on this dreary day.  

Prayers to all.  Stay safe and well.

Safe travels! Enjoy!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, garlictown said:

🍹In the 70's and 80's, I enjoyed Tequila Sunrise but somehow switched to wine. Nothing like a good Riesling in the summer but a Pinot Noir can't be beat.🍷

I like your taste in wine.  Our usual red is pinot noir, mainly the cardbordeaux variety.  🍷  And as I've mentioned, my white wine of choice is a Riesling.

Lenda

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My pest control folk told me the best way to get rid of moles/voles is to eliminate their food supply. Here in Florida, they eat grubs. 

So one 25 pound package of GrubEX later and my front and side lawns are free of the mole/voles. Hope your solution is as simple as mine was.

I had tried biweekly spraying a concoction that they hated the smell of. But I believe they started donning masks in order to escape the smell, since I started needing to spray at least once a week, if not more. 

Good luck!

Thanks!  Yes, I agree with your pest control.  They eat worms and grubs here too -- usually just putting down fertilizer etc. keeps them away, they don't like it,  but of course that doesn't last forever and I try not to put a lot of chemicals on the lawn.

I will look into GrubEX, I see it's sold locally.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

but I do not care for Kung Fu Girl, which I've had on a BHB.  I much prefer Chateau Ste Michelle

I feel the same way.  I can't remember what it was I didn't like about Kung Fu, but my go-to Riesling (when I have it) is Chateau Ste. Michelle. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks!  Yes, I agree with your pest control.  They eat worms and grubs here too -- usually just putting down fertilizer etc. keeps them away, they don't like it,  but of course that doesn't last forever and I try not to put a lot of chemicals on the lawn.

I will look into GrubEX, I see it's sold locally.

I think the reason my concoction started to lose its effectiveness was because it was organic, chemical free. One of the main ingredients - garlic. So I guess grubs have no Italian ancestors. 

Good luck!

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Super info, Lenda! I will tuck your preferences away for future reference. Do you remember what it was about Kung Fu Girl that you did not care for?

Ann

Ann,  it was about four years ago that I had the Kung Fu Girl, and I'm not sure what it was about it that I didn't like.  I think it was drier than the Chateau Ste Michelle, which is rated a dry wine, and the C STe M is probably a little sweeter, but not really sweet,  I'm not sure if I even finished the bottle, or if DH had to finish it.  So now on a BHB it is offered as a substitute for the wine, I pass.  At least, for once, the Chateau Ste Michelle costs less than the Kung Fu Girl.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  
@kazu yikes,  hope your foot is better soon!  
@cat shepard I often wonder about the wines with the cutsie names,  will be interested in your opinion.  Love a good German Riesling.  I often find the Chateau San Michelle a little sweet.  

I hate weeding, but it must be done!  We do have a flame thrower, lol!  Voles can be a menace here,  we try smoking them out with the giant destroyer but all that has worked is when th epochal weasel aka ermines come for a visit!  Wildlife can be great at looking after wild life, lol!  

I will celebrate sewing machines, my mother was an amazing seamstress,  I still have some of her creations!  Last time mine got a workout when I helped DS make curtains,  kind of apropo as my mother helped me make some too.  

@rafinmd anniversaries are hard, hugs!  But glad your surgery is a month behind you.  
Today will be hot one, so glad we put in Ac! 

9E75B81E-86DD-4890-8028-F2F5CCCC9CB4.jpeg

• Like 24

No weeding today as we will have rain for the next two days.  One good thing about it is after the rain the weeds are much easier to pull.  I have enjoyed the wine of the day.  Last year Costco was selling it in a box fairly reasonably.  They also sell the Chateau St. Michelle riesling at less than $6. a bottle, so I got a case of it last week.  

I had a problem with moles and found The Giant Destroyer to be very effective.  The trick is to find their latest mole hill and insert the gasser into it.  P1010287.thumb.JPG.2ce80528d06384ada09b292b7d190e68.JPG

• Like 14

Good Sunday morning, from Victoria, also rainy - it rained heavily during the night so would be good to weed today, but my arm is sore - yay!  I had my first shot in my left arm, but I decided to spread the joy around and had this one in my right (also, it may be a good excuse not to cook).  Sorry about your foot, Jacqui - what our dogs do to us!  But we love them anyway....

I have aways had a sewing machine, it seems, but I haven't used it here since we moved in,  to do the curtains, so almost 5 years ago.  I just have a portable now, and I never seem to get it at just the right height, so it gives me a backache.  

A few pictures from our area of the day - can't tell you exactly where they are but the land pictures are mainly Newfoundland, or PEI.IMG_3337.thumb.JPG.582540f5091225095987b14b7a93111e.JPG

IMG_3706.thumb.JPG.3a0b10d2b7309399c246230cc1355397.JPG

P1050408.thumb.JPG.8df99d114d8ea61bbbaeae9e2e79861a.JPG

P1050554.thumb.JPG.46a3985cf7c22792418f627b64f8b35f.JPG

IMG_3664.thumb.JPG.5e387682539fc69251548bfa586d1693.JPG

And, recognize this Tony, @sailingdutchy?

P1050418.thumb.JPG.a77bfc29140c2febec7c867a97cf65e1.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 28

7 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

No weeding today as we will have rain for the next two days.  One good thing about it is after the rain the weeds are much easier to pull.  I have enjoyed the wine of the day.  Last year Costco was selling it in a box fairly reasonably.  They also sell the Chateau St. Michelle riesling at less than $6. a bottle, so I got a case of it last week.  

I wish our Costco here and in Arizona sold the Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling, but the dropped it three or four years ago.  There is a liquor store near here that we can get for less than $8/bottle and in Arizona, the Smart & Final in Blythe, CA, was selling for less than $7/bottle this winter.

Lenda

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Ann,  it was about four years ago that I had the Kung Fu Girl, and I'm not sure what it was about it that I didn't like.  I think it was drier than the Chateau Ste Michelle, which is rated a dry wine, and the C STe M is probably a little sweeter, but not really sweet,  I'm not sure if I even finished the bottle, or if DH had to finish it.  So now on a BHB it is offered as a substitute for the wine, I pass.  At least, for once, the Chateau Ste Michelle costs less than the Kung Fu Girl.

Lenda

Thanks, Lenda. I may still try it. Sometimes “dry” ends up being too tart and acidic. 

Maybe I will get a bottle of each and subject my friends to a taste test. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Weed Your Garden Day, Sewing Machine Day, and World Softball Day

No way..  Weed your garden DAY is a whole season...

But thank you for the daily.  Dreaming to be at sea is way better than combating the latest infestation.

• Like 12