The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

49 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Looking forward to your comments and observations.  I’ll be sailing Silver Moon next year.

YES!!!  Agree with Gourmet Gal and Lois, that we are excited for your adventures and looking forward to any and ALL details about these areas, the new ship, the crew, food, excursions, etc.  Don't be shy!!!  Hopefully the Internet works well and that you can post regularly. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 39,063 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 1

We’ll be on the Moon August 17th and it’s our first time sailing with SS, so very much looking forward to any info/advice you are willing to share about your experience.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Jdell said:

We’ll be on the Moon August 17th and it’s our first time sailing with SS, so very much looking forward to any info/advice you are willing to share about your experience.

Enjoy!

We are on the same cruise…our first SS too.

• Like 2

In Greek mythology, the moon goddess is Selene. The story goes something like this:

Long ago darkness reigned over the night. People were afraid and remained inside their shelters from sundown until sunrise. The goddess Selene saw their fear and gave light to their nocturnal world by driving her moon chariot across the starry sky. She followed her brother Helios, who rode the sun and caught his shining rays on her magnificent silver chariot, then cast them down to earth as moonbeams. 

She drove around the earth and each night caught her brothers rays from a different angle. This way the face of the moon was ever changing. People watched the moon decrease in light every night, until it could no longer be seen from the earth. Then after three nights of darkness, a crescent silver returned and the moon increased in light until it was fully illuminated as before. Selene did this to remind people that their darkest times can lead them to their brightest.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, markham said:

Spinnaker2,

We join the beautiful Moon on 18 July, and are very excited.

Your reference to Selene is beautiful, appropriate and in the moment. Thanks.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Hi, I am going the cruise before you......July 8th.....so will be disembarking on the day you sail.

Hope we all have wonderful cruises🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markham said:

Spinnaker2,

We join the beautiful Moon on 18 July, and are very excited.

Your reference to Selene is beautiful, appropriate and in the moment. Thanks.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Thanks I worried that it might be, for want of a better word, too cheesy (ok its a moon reference too).

Hi Spins, did you receive an email today about your tours? The reason I ask is......I was just told the tours will be hooked up to an APP on your phone........so you need to bring your own earbuds. I guess because of Covid they don't want to use those audio boxes.  Everyone will have their own ear buds/ ear devices that plug into their own phones.

To be honest, I understand why they are doing it but I am so old school, I don't like carrying my phone with me.  I usually leave it in my cabin........but in order to listen to the tour guide, will have to bring it.

• Like 1

Well Lois this one of the many changes I am certain we will experience.

I am not enamored of bringing my phone either but since we need it for the special number from Greek government to get into country we are stuck.

Dr Spins will not bring his phone.

Vacation should be phoneless IMO.

1887168994_Screenshot_20210613-1113124.png.d3aa727c944ae3cbe1380edb514fdf10.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Well Lois this one of the many changes I am certain we will experience.

I am not enamored of bringing my phone either but since we need it for the special number from Greek government to get into country we are stuck.

Dr Spins will not bring his phone.

Vacation should be phoneless IMO.

1887168994_Screenshot_20210613-1113124.png.d3aa727c944ae3cbe1380edb514fdf10.png

Oh...so is Dr Spins not doing any tours?

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Spins, did you receive an email today about your tours? The reason I ask is......I was just told the tours will be hooked up to an APP on your phone........so you need to bring your own earbuds. I guess because of Covid they don't want to use those audio boxes.  Everyone will have their own ear buds/ ear devices that plug into their own phones.

To be honest, I understand why they are doing it but I am so old school, I don't like carrying my phone with me.  I usually leave it in my cabin........but in order to listen to the tour guide, will have to bring it.

I think that is an awesome idea!  I love my EarPods and much prefer my own to the poor quality headsets usually provided.  So what’s the difference between carrying your own phone and carrying a device used by other people?  If you usually carry the VOX thingy then now you don’t have to.  You’ll still be carrying only one device.

12 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

So what’s the difference between carrying your own phone and carrying a device used by other people?

I agree this allows better sound quality, but it also seems to require international data usage. We often leave our phones on airplane mode throughout a cruise, using only WiFi and avoiding the cost of international cellular data usage. A few hours on a tour could result in a fair amount of data usage. (Unless perhaps each tour guide is carrying a portable WiFi hotspot everyone can connect to.)

And I wonder what they'll do for anyone who doesn't have a cell phone? (My parents, in their 90s, share a single cell phone; would they provide a device for someone who doesn't have one, or would they be unable to do the tours?)

5 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I agree this allows better sound quality, but it also seems to require international data usage. We often leave our phones on airplane mode throughout a cruise, using only WiFi and avoiding the cost of international cellular data usage. A few hours on a tour could result in a fair amount of data usage. (Unless perhaps each tour guide is carrying a portable WiFi hotspot everyone can connect to.)

And I wonder what they'll do for anyone who doesn't have a cell phone? (My parents, in their 90s, share a single cell phone; would they provide a device for someone who doesn't have one, or would they be unable to do the tours?)

I would like to know as well.  Spins said her hubby is not bringing his cell phone on the trip. They must have something in place for those guests.......(one would think).

I just found out about this from my SS rep yesterday......it is NEW.....she actually had another guest email her about receiving the email. 

Oh, you mentioned leaving your phone on airplane mode.......I turn my phone OFF....all the way off.

And it stays in my cabin.  And if that App does have all kinds of charges on it? I will speak with Guest Relations concerning that too.