The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

By the way what your husband and you wear sound very elegant and dressy as well.

Yes I thought so too @Gourmet Gal!  Don't own a tux, own a suit, so that's what I wear (or a sport coat and dress slacks) & I've never felt uncomfortable

Edited by QueSeraSera
clarity
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

My “evidence” is complete.  I’ve sailed SS and participated in formal nights getting by with dressy tops, black silk pants and some fabulous jewelry.  Hubby gets by with a dark jacket and tie.  We travel light and just prefer not having to go all out formal for just another dinner.  That’s all and I don’t harbor any resentment for those who love to dress formally.  Just a little annoyed at SS for clinging to an old-fashioned cruising concept and I’m hoping they’ll lighten up.  

I agree, it’s time for SS to do a little market research to find the answer to the question.  Formal or Not so Formal.  I think they would end up with Nice Dressy with a Casual look.  Go to any top Michelin Star Restaurant and just a few will be Formal.  Don’t forget be what you want at your table, but don’t make every table the same.

• Like 1

I always love fashion discussions (call me shallow) and cruise critic never disappoints.  Whether gentlemen prefer to pack their tux or a nice suit & tie, those “formal” nights bring out the handsome in all our guys.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree, it’s time for SS to do a little market research to find the answer to the question.  Formal or Not so Formal.  I think they would end up with Nice Dressy with a Casual look.  Go to any top Michelin Star Restaurant and just a few will be Formal.  Don’t forget be what you want at your table, but don’t make every table the same.

Why do some people insist that they want us to get rid of the formal because they don't like it? I thought we had decided to let everyone dress nicely without insisting that Silversea changes what they are doing. They cater for diverse cultures and groups some of whom prefer more casual and some who like to dress up at times. With these new bigger Silversea ships there is a good array of dining venues to suit different dress.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Why do some people insist that they want us to get rid of the formal because they don't like it? I thought we had decided to let everyone dress nicely without insisting that Silversea changes what they are doing. They cater for diverse cultures and groups some of whom prefer more casual and some who like to dress up at times. With these new bigger Silversea ships there is a good array of dining venues to suit different dress.

I don’t think people are say that, it’s choice.  How if what you feel is correct, what if more guest prefer  dressy casual—would you go along with the majority?  And think about it, more cruise lines are going the dressy casual—must be a reason they bare moving to future cruisers.

14 hours ago, Bluebelle14 said:

We love formal nights and we think Silversea does everything perfectly.

It appears the vast majority of posts on this never ending subject are in favour of the Silversea protocol on dress code and your simple conclusion is the view of most.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER CRUISE LINES for the small minority who don’t like the Silversea dress code to travel on.

Enjoy cruising on whatever Cruise Line suits you as the choice is wide and varies greatly as to price and quality .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, brimary said:

It appears the vast majority of posts on this never ending subject are in favour of the Silversea protocol on dress code and your simple conclusion is the view of most.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER CRUISE LINES for the small minority who don’t like the Silversea dress code to travel on.

Enjoy cruising on whatever Cruise Line suits you as the choice is wide and varies greatly as to price and quality .

We have sailed on SS, Regent and Seabourn, we always go back to SS for the reasons in this thread, Mrs. Fudge likes to put on her best frock, Mr. Fudge likes his tux.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I’ve never heard of any restaurant requiring formal attire…formal means tux and gown.  I’m lucky enough to have been to many Michelin * establishments and other high end restaurants and the dressiest expectation is business attire.  There are 3* that aren’t dressy at all.  It is often special events, weddings, galas, opening night at the opera, etc. that may require black tie formal.  

Well, we have 2 more nights on the Moon😀 and I can tell you tuxes are not required. Yes, some men do wear them but not all. I don't even wear dresses and have felt totally comfortable in my evening attire and will continue to sail with SS and put deposits down for 2 cruises😁

• Like 5

Ok enough of the attire debate, it has been rehashed so many times.

Everyone has an opinion, which is fine. Let us face it there will be NO consensus. 

The ultimate arbiter is Silversea. At this juncture no one has convinced them to change their policy. Pax are still booking with full knowledge of the dress code.

Someone please put the topic on another thread or close this one.

This thread was to be about the adventures on the NEW MOON. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Everyone has an opinion, which is fine. Let us face it there will be NO consensus. 

The ultimate arbiter is Silversea. At this juncture no one has convinced them to change their policy. Pax are still booking with full knowledge of the dress code.

The ship is beautiful😀😁and the staff/crew are all outstanding!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Lois R said:

The ship is beautiful😀😁and the staff/crew are all outstanding!

Great to hear Lois ....Enjoy to the full....Your description sums up our last 23 years annual cruising with SS.we look forward to our next one but haven’t plucked up courage to your level to go ahead and book but your positivity certainly helps the decision making process.....Thanks!

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Yes you are right spinnaker although I had made a comment I was just waiting for the suggestion we move on as it's not really the thread ... guilty as charged..I'm always in trouble 😉 pleased you enjoyed your trip and somewhat little upset I cancelled the sailing in Oct  ..😞 but I'm sure I've done the right thing... looking forward to the silver dawn next Nov ... Enjoyed your posting about your trip 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I’ve never heard of any restaurant requiring formal attire…formal means tux and gown.  I’m lucky enough to have been to many Michelin * establishments and other high end restaurants and the dressiest expectation is business attire.  There are 3* that aren’t dressy at all.  It is often special events, weddings, galas, opening night at the opera, etc. that may require black tie formal.  

Sorry you’re right, most Michelin Star restaurants don’t host High School Proms😁, and your right about special events, galas, weddings, opening night at the opera—but dinner on a cruise ship isn’t a special night.  So if someone is dressed nicely at another table, how does that affect your table?

FYI, I enjoy wearing a tux at the right affair, and jacket, slacks-no tie for just dinner out at a nice place.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 2:42 PM, sea bright said:

I was surprised because on our last 5 or so SS cruises we had seen fewer and fewer men in tuxedos/dinner jackets than in the past.

Interesting as we have continued to see as many dressed up over the last 5 or so cruises that we have taken in the 2 years before the pandemic. Mind you we avoid cruising when kids are on holiday and the Caribbean like the plague.

So excited to get this email earlier today from SS guest confirmation team

To build your excitement further, we are pleased to inform you that we will host Silver Moon's official naming ceremony on board on July 28—the day of your embarkation—in Athens. 

The intimate event will be screened live in selected venues throughout the ship from 6:30pm. You will also have the option of viewing the ceremony on the TV system in your suite. Our talented bar tenders will serve celebratory cocktails, as we raise a glass to mark the occasion. A commemorative feast will follow, with selected restaurants honouring Silver Moon's naming with special menus. 

Please note, the evening's dress code will be informal: dresses or trouser suits for ladies; jackets for gentlemen, with ties optional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1