Galveston to IAH, is a 12:30pm flight safe?

8 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Hi-

I'm assuming it takes about 1.5 to 2.0 hours to get to the Galveston Cruise terminal to IAH. If you get on you bus by 8am a 12:30 flight should be OK?

Thanks, 

Paul

All bets are off for Galveston.

Even under normal times it is hit and miss between customs/immigration, fog and the masses who self-disembarked with oversized cases. 

Now no one knows what will be allowed or what the system will be in the future. Depending on time of year you are sailing and number of people onboard, your chances are better  if you are taking ship transport but it would be too risky for me.

29 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Hi-

I'm assuming it takes about 1.5 to 2.0 hours to get to the Galveston Cruise terminal to IAH. If you get on you bus by 8am a 12:30 flight should be OK?

Thanks, 

Paul

Feb is the worst month for fog. I'm going in sept next, high hurricane season. ..of course one time we got dropped off in new orleans when Ike wiped out my car and Galveston. 

One time we were delayed about one hour as that thing you walk off on broke, so we ran down stairs to deck 0 and got off.

I'd feel safer after 1 or 2 pm. Do we know there will be no covid testing at departure ? .. whatever time you choose will be too early or later lol. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

Hi-

Thanks, 

Paul

Yes. If you're on a bus at 8am as you say, you'll be fine. You'll arrive around 10am. Traffic will be light if it's a Sat, and most definitely if it's a Sunday. You should not have any issues getting to IAH. Firefly is correct though in that fog is an issue. Dec-March is very unpredictable w/ the fog.  

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

It should be enough time but we have been on two Galveston cruises that didn’t get into port until after 12 because of fog and an accident on ship channel. I know a friend who went in April  (Mexico’s spring break) and they were delayed several hours going through customs. We were also on a cruise that got in at midnight to beat the fog. I wouldn’t chance it unless you get refundable air fare.

Thanks everyone, looking for a pre-cruise hotel recommendation in Galveston, I think we want to stay next to the Seawall, I'm a weather geek and know all about the Hurricane history there.

Who knew there were so many friendly Texans on CC?

😆

• Like 1

Hi kang, depending on your budget there are a lot of good options on the Seawall.  Our ONLY choice is Hotel Galvez but it can be pricey.  We still love it though.  Historic, unique, not a cookie cutter chain.  They do a shuttle to and from the port.  Our fave breakfast place, Millers, is next door so we can walk there.  All the fun bars/restaurants are a straight shot down the Seawall and the Strand is a short 10 minute drive away.

Yep, depending on the time of year 12:30 is pushing it since you would need to get there in plenty of time for baggage and checkin.  2 pm is probably a safer bet.  Worst case, you get there early and have lunch - generally breakfast on the last morning is a rushed event.

I have traveled between Houston and Galveston and I must join those who say "no." That's simply not enough time. You could spend the night in the Houston area and take the opportunity to visit NASA. Most interesting.

34 minutes ago, George C said:

Ride is less than 90 mins , I would feel safe doing it if you are in a suite or if you self disembark.

Have we even heard if they are allowing self-disembark?

I am sure they won’t allow the usual free-for-all that happens normally on ships sailing from Galveston. I thought I had read disembarkation would be in groups? Of course they attempt that normally but there are always those that take no notice.

I am not sure when the OP plans to sail - obviously if the OP is sailing during reduced capacity it should be easier than normal.

The cruise is leaving on Monday, 09-27 and returning Friday Morning, on 10-01-21. So Hurricane weather is more of a worry than fog. Looking to fly in on Saturday so I can explore Galveston for a full day on Sunday and then we always fly home post cruise ASAP since that "Vacation is Over" feeling takes over.

-Paul

6 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

The cruise is leaving on Monday, 09-27 and returning Friday Morning, on 10-01-21. So Hurricane weather is more of a worry than fog. Looking to fly in on Saturday so I can explore Galveston for a full day on Sunday and then we always fly home post cruise ASAP since that "Vacation is Over" feeling takes over.

-Paul

So you'd be dealing with Friday morning traffic.  Does not sound promising.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

You learn a lot from Cruise Critic! 

I was thinking a 12:30 flight sounded fine for my b2b in January/February. Now I’m going to spend the night in Houston and not stress about anything!

Good choice!

• Like 1

I-45 is the freeway to Galveston and under construction from NASA 1 Bvld south which can cause major tie ups.   Very risky to think that trip could be made in less than 2 hours either direction at anytime.  The Galvez is in the being sold thus new ownership could change things.  Many hotels along the sea wall require 2 nights   Be sure to check before you book.  There is some limited parking in a warehouse that was converted to a parking garage which is both covered and elevated several feet higher than all the surface lots in the area which can flood.   Rumor that the new RCL terminal for Oasis class ships is going to promote construction of a garage but that will be several years before completion.

11 hours ago, kangforpres said:

-Paul

I retrack my previous post based on your day of traveling on a Friday morning. Book a later afternoon flight. 

10 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

You learn a lot from Cruise Critic! 

I was thinking a 12:30 flight sounded fine for my b2b in January/February. Now I’m going to spend the night in Houston and not stress about anything!

Traveling from Galveston to Houston can vary drastically based on the day of week. Sat or Sunday would be EZPZ... Mon -Fri... not so much due to commuters headed to work into the city. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

23 hours ago, kangforpres said:

-Paul

Typically, hurricane activity on the SE Texas coast dies down starting in October of each season, due to cold fronts making it far enough south to direct any tropical storms away from SE Texas.

That is not to say that it is impossible for a tropical storm to hit Galveston end of Sep.

For example, the monster Hurricane Rita hit SE Texas near the end of Sep. back in 2005, which caused extensive damage to the Beaumont area (it was supposed to directly hit Galveston but a cold front sped up to bend it to Beaumont).  I'm sure many will recall all Houston freeways were filled up with cars, with some people spending over 20 hours stuck on the freeways due to mass evacuations.

We have made this trip several times and while we have not had a flight quite that early we could have made it every time. We always take the bus offered by the cruise line. When booking it they usually aske what time your flight is. You can advise the front desk that you need to be on the first bus. You can also opt to carry luggage off the ship if you don't have too much and they will get you off early. 

We have never done that and have always been at the airport by 10-10:30