The Daily for Wednesday Jun 16, 2021

richwmn

Today is Ladies' Initiated in Baseball Day, International Waterfall Day, and Fresh Veggies Day

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted. - Mae West"

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Fajita Salad

Drink of the Day - Sunsicle

Wine of the day - Estancia Pinot Noir - California - Red

Destination of the Day - Manila Philippines

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Pedro eta 6/18

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0616World.thumb.png.3504b9ac7265b9f2e32ee3d3757c28fd.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day!

Cool and clear morning, only 7C now, high of 19C this afternoon.

I'll try to eat lots of fresh veggies today. 

Love that quote from Mae West. 🙂

The dinner suggestion sounds pretty good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

Another port I have not visited, thanks in advance for the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers to those that celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good Wednesday morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Enjoy the game today ladies.  Waterfalls are a great place to ponder nature’s strength and majesty. Love fresh veggies especially carrots fresh out of the ground.  Mae was such a stitch!  The meal suggestion sounds delicious, maybe on Saturday.  I haven’t been to today’s port, can’t wait to see the pictures.  Prayers for all on our list and cheers to everyone with a celebration today.

• Like 21

Thank you for the double hump day, Rich (Wednesday plus the second half of June).  I love all 3 days.  Mae's quote is imaginative.  Never been to the Philippines.  I'll pass on the Fajita.  My alternative is Chilled Peach Soup with Goat Cheese, Lamb Shank, and Upside Pear Crunch Coffee Cake, my final dinner on the Prinsendam from my 2015 B2B.

Care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

mamaofami DH Sam in rehab until about 6/27
St.LouisCruiser traveling to Nancy’s funeral

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana starting to deal with Pulm

Kakalina facing more aggressive than thought cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

smitty34877 helping Tana

Vict0riann helping Ruth get her jab

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

welcome home highland cruiser

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Thanks @kazu
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Wednesday smile 🙂 

What a great combination of days!  Waterfalls and fresh veggies are both to be enjoyed.  Ladies initiated in Baseball was historical and those ladies who broke through the glass ceiling of baseball were to be admired.

295D7E35-315F-4406-A636-3927477ED809.thumb.jpeg.cfa5e6c6a83ff7d205fcb830f40ad2bf.jpeg

Love the quote by Mae West.  I resemble that remark 😉 

Meal recommendation for today is good but having just had tacos last night, I think I will save this one for another evening.

@rafinmdI think something went wrong with your Care list.  Hoping you see this if you want to edit.

My struggle with the deer is unending.  They have now decided to eat rhodendrum.  My rhodo has been there for 24+ years and never on their menu.  Not this year.  😡 Thankfully I have one in my fenced area.

The ironic thing is that it was so sick 2 years ago after a hard winter that DH wanted me to dig it up.  I refused and coddled it.  No flowers last year but this year:

5B4C65ED-5B79-402B-86EC-A3354756B519.thumb.jpeg.cb615d20ad411ded15273e2f937ef8ff.jpeg

862DF166-0F05-47F0-BDC8-1C270C7FA642.thumb.jpeg.981f5df660730d1f66fc3f13ffdcf479.jpeg

Now I have to coddle the one they attacked and find a way to protect it.  Sheesh.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump Day everyone!!

2AA948FC-2A5D-443E-A25F-917B04BB76C6.thumb.jpeg.af99feb004bf0d5cbe0b602ea312af80.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Morning Rich! Thank you for today’s Daily! Love the combo of days! If all goes well I will celebrate International Waterfall Week in July. Three weeks until lift off. I love fresh veggies, any way I can get them.

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Lol on the quote. Mae was quite the character. The meal and drink sound great. Looking forward to the recipes.  More rain is expected today. I might actually have to drain the pool a bit. A busy morning, then perhaps some yard work. Yesterday’s Tstorms had really high winds, so I am sure I have branches down. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Estancia Pinot Noir

This Monterey Pinot Noir has good to very good ratings with a very reasonable price tag: $8.99 -$12.99 depending on the vintage. Consumer reviews vary widely. But everyone’s palate is different, so I am not surprised. For the price, it might be worth a try. The name sounds familiar to me, but I do not remember trying it. 

Description

Estancia's vineyard lies in the Thermal Rainbow of Monterey County, which features midday heat tempered by morning and late-afternoon fog, was perfect for developing the intense fruit character. Pinnacles Vineyard was one of the first vineyards in California to be planted with a permanent irrigation system. This Pinot Noir has aromas of cherry, raspberry, and warm spices with flavors of luscious berries and baking spices with a lingering, silky finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.  

Nothing too exciting here.  I'm taking the car in for an oil change and then having lunch with a friend.  

Today's meal sounds great!   Goes right along with fresh veggie day!   I will definitely file this one away for another time.  Right now I have another big batch of gazpacho that I'm working on.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/chicken-fajita-salad-7147065

1064962336_Chickenfajitasalad.jpeg.e1d6e11c651179a1cb2af9522e6263d3.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Wednesday smile 🙂 

What a great combination of days!  Waterfalls and fresh veggies are both to be enjoyed.  Ladies initiated in Baseball was historical and those ladies who broke through the glass ceiling of baseball were to be admired.

295D7E35-315F-4406-A636-3927477ED809.thumb.jpeg.cfa5e6c6a83ff7d205fcb830f40ad2bf.jpeg

Love the quote by Mae West.  I resemble that remark 😉 

Meal recommendation for today is good but having just had tacos last night, I think I will save this one for another evening.

@rafinmdI think something went wrong with your Care list.  Hoping you see this if you want to edit.

My struggle with the deer is unending.  They have now decided to eat rhodendrum.  My rhodo has been there for 24+ years and never on their menu.  Not this year.  😡 Thankfully I have one in my fenced area.

The ironic thing is that it was so sick 2 years ago after a hard winter that DH wanted me to dig it up.  I refused and coddled it.  No flowers last year but this year:

5B4C65ED-5B79-402B-86EC-A3354756B519.thumb.jpeg.cb615d20ad411ded15273e2f937ef8ff.jpeg

862DF166-0F05-47F0-BDC8-1C270C7FA642.thumb.jpeg.981f5df660730d1f66fc3f13ffdcf479.jpeg

Now I have to coddle the one they attacked and find a way to protect it.  Sheesh.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump Day everyone!!

2AA948FC-2A5D-443E-A25F-917B04BB76C6.thumb.jpeg.af99feb004bf0d5cbe0b602ea312af80.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

My yard gurus told me the reason that my deer ate my neighbor’s and my Agapanthus plants last year is because they are adaptive eaters. These plants had been in the island that separates our properties for more than 20 years, too! And oddly only the bucks ate them. 

And it has been so dry lately, they have started eating Pentas! Mine are in a window box over a bush, so I hope they are safe. We shall see. 

Have you ever tried “Liquid Fence”? My neighbor that had the bear visit uses that successfully. Keeps deer out, but doesn’t work very well on bears. 

• Like 22

Good morning.  Great group of days again.  Mae West had a wonderful sense of humor.  The meal sounds wonderful, but I would LOVE Roy's Chilled soup.  Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

We talked about storm season yesterday.  We had hurricane shutters and a generator installed so the storms should bypass middle Florida.  😁

Stay safe, and please continue to wear your mask.  It will keep colds away too!

SUNSICLE

Glass:
Pint glass

Ingredients:
2 orange wedges
1.5 oz vanilla rum
1 oz sour mix
2 oz orange juice
1 oz soda

Directions:
In a cocktail shaker, hand press the orange wedges with muddler. Pack with ice to the top and shake & strain into a pint glass.

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 7.32.07 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My yard gurus told me the reason that my deer ate my neighbor’s and my Agapanthus plants last year is because they are adaptive eaters. These plants had been in the island that separates our properties for more than 20 years, too! And oddly only the bucks ate them. 

And it has been so dry lately, they have started eating Pentas! Mine are in a window box over a bush, so I hope they are safe. We shall see. 

Have you ever tried “Liquid Fence”? My neighbor that had the bear visit uses that successfully. Keeps deer out, but doesn’t work very well on bears. 

Your yard guru is right.

Deer are very adaptive.  Plants that used to be safe from their foraging are mostly not, now.  There are just too many and they have developed different tastes.  Talking to my neighbours who had rhodo’s.  All of theirs were hit last winter too.  I think netting is going to be needed in the winter.

We’ve tried Bobbex and a bunch of other stuff.  I’ve read about Liquid Fence but so far it hasn’t been available here.  Not available on amazon.ca either.

It sounds good since it doesn’t have to be re-applied with every rain unless there is a lot.   Thanks 🙂 

• Like 19

68°F and sunny again here.

Thanks for the daily and today's list.

It is currently 13.00pm and we are sitting outside eating our lunch at a retail park outlet.

We have not been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20210616_124230.jpg

IMG_20210616_123419.jpg

• Like 29

Good  morning  and  thanks  to  Rich  for  the  Daily. A  big  thanks  to  Roy  for  the  lists  and  to  the  food  and  beverage  department. My  DB's  "let"  me  play  baseball  with  the  neighborhood  team  when  we  were  kids  and  I  loved  it  although  I  doubt  I  ever  hit  the ball.  Vegetables  and waterfalls should  be  celebrated  every  day.  The  recipe  looks  good  but  will  have  to  be  tried another  day. DD  and  I  made  so  much  food in  the  last  two  days  we  will  be  set  for  a  while.

We  have  not  been  to  the  Philippines  but  would  love  to  see  pictures.

I  took  this  picture  in  Iceland  on  our  VOV  trip. My American  mind  was  impressed  with  the  lack  of  fences/barriers  and  how  close  people  got  to  the  edge. Iceland  just  deals  with  the  risk!

Terry

IMG_0674.JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  and  thanks  to  Rich  for  the  Daily. A  big  thanks  to  Roy  for  the  lists  and  to  the  food  and  beverage  department. My  DB's  "let"  me  play  baseball  with  the  neighborhood  team  when  we  were  kids  and  I  loved  it  although  I  doubt  I  ever  hit  the ball.  Vegetables  and waterfalls should  be  celebrated  every  day.  The  recipe  looks  good  but  will  have  to  be  tried another  day. DD  and  I  made  so  much  food in  the  last  two  days  we  will  be  set  for  a  while.

I  took  this  picture  in  Iceland  on  our  VOV  trip. My American  mind  was  impressed  with  the  lack  of  fences/barriers  and  how  close  people  got  to  the  edge. Iceland  just  deals  with  the  risk!

Terry

IMG_0674.JPG

Ooh, Terry, love your picture. Any favorite memory from your visit?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thank you for our Daily!

The meal of the day looks like a perfect summer dinner -- very colorful 🧡  💚  💛  ❤️

Big fan here of Mae West.  I was Mae West for Halloween in high school.  My boy friend was W.C. Fields.   We won the costume contest at the party.  😂

@kazu, I feel your pain about the deer.  We had a house in Idaho and they ate every "deer-proof" plant I put in.  We ended up with two fail-safe plants and nothing else -- the Fire Witch dianthus and a Walker's Low cat mint.  So much money wasted on plants.  🤯

I hope everyone has a pleasant day.  DD is teaching me pickle ball today.  Peer pressure!

Sending hugs and prayers for those in need of them and cheers to the celebration list.  

Happy Hump Day!  😊  🌻

• Like 23

Good morning everyone!  It's going to be a sunny day with a high of 84F, not too hot.  We're expecting the landscaper who does odd jobs for our neighborhood to come by today and finish up clearing the low brush between our yard and the golf course.  DH has been clearing the rogue trees/pines that had sprung up there.  The HOA won't take care of our slopes and the golf course says we don't care if you can't see the course anymore because we have other things to do.  So homeowners are forced into paying for slope clearing, etc. to maintain our views.  Hardly seems fair, but a lot of things in life aren't fair we've found.🙄

Love the days today, and the Mae West quote as well.  Chicken Fajita Salad sounds good but the recipe listed today looked to be too much for me.  Maybe something a little lighter.  

I have not been to Manila but would love to go sometime.  I'll be waiting for some photos.  

@cat shepardI'm excited about your Iceland trip coming up soon.  Will you be able to do something similar to a "Live From"?  How long will you be there?  Can't wait to hear about it!  

@grapau27your lunch looks delish!  And of course Pauline is as well put together as ever.  I don't know how she does it.  I would have had on a colorful T shirt and jeans.  It's good to see someone who takes care with their wardrobe.👍

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry

IMG_0674.JPG

That was also my thought. OSHA would have a field day there!  I made mention to our guide on lack of safety rails. His reply “if there dumb enough to get that close they deserve to go swimming!”

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

Beautiful morning. Birds are singing, dove's are cooing, water fountain bubbling..

Thank you Rich, Roy, Jacqui and the F & B ladies.

I would love to have Roy's lamb tonight, and Deb that platter looks beautiful! I had a salad yesterday that was close to this but it had shrimp.

Another hot one due today. Upper 90's for the next 10 days.

image.png.1fd1e044fc137b07e1b76b63ac2c4668.png

image.png.775050b20f0a72dbfc3fb601bfae0e53.png

Teaching Mahjongg this afternoon. It will have to be indoors today. 

Prayers, Cheers and blessings 

• Like 27

35 minutes ago, kazu said:

Your yard guru is right.

Deer are very adaptive.  Plants that used to be safe from their foraging are mostly not, now.  There are just too many and they have developed different tastes.  Talking to my neighbours who had rhodo’s.  All of theirs were hit last winter too.  I think netting is going to be needed in the winter.

We’ve tried Bobbex and a bunch of other stuff.  I’ve read about Liquid Fence but so far it hasn’t been available here.  Not available on amazon.ca either.

It sounds good since it doesn’t have to be re-applied with every rain unless there is a lot.   Thanks 🙂 

A friend who is an outdoorsman recently planted some fruit trees on some countryside land. He swears that hanging bars of Irish Spring Soap on each tree keeps the deer away.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard, I  thought  Iceland  was just  totally  amazing. It  is  a  feast  for  the  eyes  in  terms  of landscapes,waterfalls,hot springs and  black  sand  beaches. I  could  have  stayed  for  a  week but  only  had  2  port  days to  cherish. The  size  and  magnitude  of  the  waterfalls  was just  incredible and  they  seem  to  be  everywhere. It  is  ALL  a  treat  and  you  will  love  it. My DH  and  DB  with  whom  we  traveled  both  remarked  that  the  "people" were  very  attractive(!). I  never  saw  so  many  blondes  and  red heads in  one  place in   my  life.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1