The Daily for Thursday Jun 17, 2021

richwmn

Today is Eat Your Vegetables Day, Nursing Assistants Day, and World Croc Day

Until you walk a mile in another man's moccasins you can't imagine the smell. - Robert Byrne

Meal suggestion for today - Tuna Poke Bowls

Drink of the Day - Maple Pecan Latte

Wine of the day - Inglenook Rubicon - California - Red

Destination of the Day - Venice Italy

At Sea Mediterranean
Eurodam Operations off Limassol CY

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Pedro eta 6/18

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrip Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0617USA.thumb.png.4d08bc4d9bd86e9548107809b1a1482f.png

0617World.thumb.png.45a8d392c32f99cdbcc9848066b70edc.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I will NOT be celebrating World Croc Day.  I do have my favorite vegetables, and have a special salute to Nursing Assistants.  I love the quote.  Never been to Venice.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  I also don't cruise much in late June.  My alternate meal suggestions will go on hiatus later in the summer but for now I'll be doing some off the wall fill in stuff.  My suggestion for today is a lido custom omelet which I enjoyed June 17, 2015 before disembarking MS Prinsendam in Ijmuiden.

Care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Mary229's sister resting after treatment for agressive cancer

Crew of Odyssey of the Seas

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Colorado wildfires

Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Kakalina facing inoperable cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

smitty34877 helping Tana

Welcome home Tioga Cruiser

My county’s fire service (not my station) rescuing a kitten from a car dashboard

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

Mamaofami visiting Sam in person

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another cool morning here, but supposed to warm up to 25C and sunny this afternoon.

An interesting collection of days.  Is that Croc the animal, or croc the shoe?  Either way, they're not for me.  Love veggies.  A big salute to nursing assistants.

Fun quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.

The drink of the day sounds like dessert.  Hope the wine is good.

Love Venice.  I'll try and find some pictures.

Prayers to everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Happy Thursday everyone and thank you Rich for today’s daily report.  Fortunately I love most vegetables and don’t have to be told to eat them.  Hats off to the important role that nursing assistants play.  Crocs the reptile or footwear?  Odd attempt at humor by Bryne.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but the drink sounds pretty tasty.  I look forward to the photos of today’s port since I haven’t been, I really need to get out more!  Prayers for everyone on today’s list and cheers to everyone with a celebration today!

• Like 23

Happy Thursday, wow, where did the week go.  Today I get fitted for a mouth guard, apparently I grind my teeth when I sleep.  Exciting stuff.

Yea for all Nurses and their assistants.  They are the backbone of the healthcare system.

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Love veggies so I don’t need to be told to eat them. I will celebrate crocs but at a respectful distance 😉   Nursing assistants do so very much to help patients and deserve our appreciation.

6AED01FA-8F27-4AA8-8A2B-A7CEA5BC826D.jpeg.6da18c9b9339a56ce05283b8f63907e5.jpeg

LOL on the Byrne quote.  Not sure about the meal suggestion - I’ll wait for Debbie’s description.  Lots of shrimp stir fry left over from last night which might well be the meal tonight 😉 

We have been to Venice twice.  The first time we stayed pre-cruise and really enjoyed all the nooks and crannies we discovered along with the “regular” sites.  Much prefer a land visit since we can choose when and where to visit and avoid the cruise ship crowds 😉  The other time it was a stop on our cruise and we visited the other islands on a local water transport.  Great day.

It seems we have a lot of people who seem to think the world is about “them” these days.  When I saw this I couldn’t help but think how appropriate it was.

126DC84A-F25D-4E88-A3A9-F97B6D734DA4.jpeg.b9b24dbf7fc0a43b3ca39f9dedc0a200.jpeg

Well, the garden is calling to me so I best get my ducks in a row and get to work before it’s too hot.

235AA2EB-71C3-4D9E-B2F0-70F1538B26FF.thumb.jpeg.c2d2caf94f610dcef77670d5eceb91c0.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!

614A1B29-7265-4E4C-9CC4-6DE273BA9058.thumb.jpeg.2a6a734de65870a47c59a4e9aeb21eda.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I was to have gone on a cruise from Venice this spring, but first the cruise line (which was not HAL) changed the embarkation port to Ravenna, and then cancelled the cruise. No surprise in the latter since Italy wasn't allowing most foreign visitors anyway. I've used the credit toward a cruise from a U.S. port next year.

• Like 17

Good morning. Love vegetables. Nursing Assistants are so important.  And, like Jacqui, I'll celebrate World Croc day from a distance.  The meal sounds good, looking forward to the recipe.

Have not been to Venice but love the first photo and look forward to more.

Prayers and toasts to our two lists.

Stay safe, be cautious, and wear your mask if you feel the need.

Maple Pecan Latte:

For the Maple Pecan Syrup:
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup pecan butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Latte:
1 shot espresso
2 tablespoons maple pecan syrup
1/2 cup steamed milk
Garnish: Whipped cream (store-bought or homemade)
Garnish: Chopped toasted pecans
Make the Latte
Gather the ingredients.
Combine the espresso and 2 tablespoons of the maple pecan syrup in a mug; whisk until well blended.
Pour in steamed milk, then top with whipped cream and toasted pecans.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.24.03 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.   

Another beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  The sun is shining brightly, although it is a chilly 48 degrees out.  It is supposed to warm up this afternoon to something a bit more seasonal.  

I always eat my vegetables unless it is cooked carrots.  Raw, ok, cooked, no.   Nursing assistants deserve a big salute as they do a lot of the grunt work.   I'll observe the Crocs from a distance and hopefully from behind a barrier of some sort.  

Today I have a picnic lunch to go to with fellow retired teachers.  I'm glad the lunches are starting up again.  It has been a long, long time.

I'm going to pass on today's meal.   I don't eat raw fish.   I took one look at the poke bowl and said no.   Now, I'd eat it sans rice if the tuna was cooked.   

What is a poke bowl?    

"You’ve probably seen poke bowls on social media, overheard the buzz, or seen them on menus IRL. (Psst … it’s pronounced “POH-keh.”) You may even live in a city where poke shops are popping up faster than build-your-own burrito bars ever did.

So what is this food trend, anyway — and what’s the appeal?

Poke means “to slice or cut” in Hawaiian and refers to chunks of raw, marinated fish — usually tuna — which is then tossed over rice and topped with vegetables and umami-packed sauces."

https://people.com/food/poke-bowl-food-trend-recipe/

For those adventurous folks who would like to try this:

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/tuna-poke-bowls.html

tuna-poke-bowls-760x950.thumb.jpg.a7d7f4c88d9053323fd9a36e0466825e.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good  morning  to  everyone. I  will  celebrate  crocs at  a  distance  and  always  enjoy  vegetables. Nursing  assistants  deserve  several  special  days to  be  celebrated.  I  will  pass  on  the  recipe  as  I  don't  enjoy  raw  fish. Roy's  alternative  sounds  good  though. I  have  been  to  Venice  only  in  my  mind so  I  will  enjoys  pictures  later.

Thank  you  Roy @rafinmd,  for  keeping  Tana  on  our list  for  so  long. She  is  coming  to  terms  with the  situation  and  we  will  all  be  here  to  help along  the  way. The  condition is a  difficult  one  and  she  does  not  know  the  severity  yet. Please  don't  feel there  is  a  daily  need  to  be  on  the  prayer  list at  this  point,  as  I  am  sure  there  are  other  people  in  need  of  assistance. The  MD's  expect  her  symptoms  to  wax  and  wane  the  way  they  have  over  the  last  year.

Today  it  is  a  beautiful  day  here, cool  and  breezy  so  far.             Terry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

Another beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  The sun is shining brightly, although it is a chilly 48 degrees out.  It is supposed to warm up this afternoon to something a bit more seasonal.  

I always eat my vegetables unless it is cooked carrots.  Raw, ok, cooked, no.   Nursing assistants deserve a big salute as they do a lot of the grunt work.   I'll observe the Crocs from a distance and hopefully from behind a barrier of some sort.  

Today I have a picnic lunch to go to with fellow retired teachers.  I'm glad the lunches are starting up again.  It has been a long, long time.

I'm going to pass on today's meal.   I don't eat raw fish.   I took one look at the poke bowl and said no.   Now, I'd eat it sans rice if the tuna was cooked.   

What is a poke bowl?    

"You’ve probably seen poke bowls on social media, overheard the buzz, or seen them on menus IRL. (Psst … it’s pronounced “POH-keh.”) You may even live in a city where poke shops are popping up faster than build-your-own burrito bars ever did.

So what is this food trend, anyway — and what’s the appeal?

Poke means “to slice or cut” in Hawaiian and refers to chunks of raw, marinated fish — usually tuna — which is then tossed over rice and topped with vegetables and umami-packed sauces."

https://people.com/food/poke-bowl-food-trend-recipe/

For those adventurous folks who would like to try this:

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/tuna-poke-bowls.html

tuna-poke-bowls-760x950.thumb.jpg.a7d7f4c88d9053323fd9a36e0466825e.jpg

I love poke! I really love poke!! This is a great recipe. But what's with the chips I wonder?

• Like 12

Good morning!  Another sunny day to enjoy.  Thanks to @richwmnand @rafinmdfor the Daily and our lists of celebration and care.  Prayers to all in need and cheers for those celebrating.  No thanks to Croc Day, but I appreciate the nursing assistants who work in our hospital, clinics, nursing homes and hospice homes.  I enjoy vegetables of all kinds thank goodness.  Today's menu is something I would probably pass on because the only raw fish I like is in a tuna salad sandwich.  Someone else can have my share.  

We leave early in the morning for Missouri so I won't be online the next few mornings.  I'll check in of course later in the day.  Yesterday my nieces asked me to read a scripture at the church service for Nancy and I accepted.  I hope I can get through it without tears because I can't talk when I cry. 😪

I love visiting Venice and have been there about 4 times.  I'm sure there will be plenty of photos of that beautiful city.  This is a photo my brother said I should have made into a poster size print.  enhance

Have to pack for our trip but I'll check in later.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

614A1B29-7265-4E4C-9CC4-6DE273BA9058.thumb.jpeg.2a6a734de65870a47c59a4e9aeb21eda.jpeg

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, You forgot to mention all those friends your forgot or didn't know about, as I am sure that they will all be there for you as well.  Love your little cartoons and memes each day.

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Thanks for today’s Daily, Rich! Here’s to our Nursing Assistants. Often left to deal with some of the worst aspects of medical care. 80% of my daily caloric intake comes from veggies and fruit, so I suspect I celebrate day this every day. I know we have lots of crocs in my state, but do not want to encounter one. Someone else will have to tell them that this is there day. Volunteers?

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Another lovely morning. Almost cool with the morning breeze. Lots of deer meandering.

@smitty34877, Terry the wonderful aspect of prayer is that it is limitless. No need to ration it out.❤️

I would try today’s meal, if I trusted the cook who made it. I love sushi.I would definitely not do today’s drink of the day, even if I added alcohol to it it would be too sweet for me. I love Venice. My first visit was a land tour at the end of their rainy season, where the raised walkways were still in place in Saint Mark’s square. And my second visit was a couple of days pre-cruise. I know the first visit was pre-digital.  I have one picture on my iPad from the second. It is the view from our hotel’s entrance. Again, I could not reduce the size of the picture without skewing it. Sorry.

10311AF0-A410-49C2-8A08-55C5827ED408.thumb.jpeg.49770270c5a68d499d3d4e8987cf6c4f.jpeg

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi safe travels tomorrow. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Inglenook Rubicon

This amazing red blend from Napa has excellent - superb ratings. I chose the 2016, because it had the most readily info. The lowest price I found online - $125.00. I did find the 2017 vintage online for $95.00. Both are out of my budget, but they do sound wonderful. 

Winemaker Notes

Ideal harvest conditions endowed the 2016 Rubicon with the three elements associated with a truly great wine from the Rutherford appellation: complexity, balance, and elegance. The aromas are intense and focused with top notes of creamy, sweet vanilla, and black licorice wound around a core of exquisitely ripe black cherry and crème de cassis. This refinement extends directly to the palate, where the wine is both broad and deep with sensuous, silky tannins. Supremely balanced in terms of both opulence and complexity, ripe black fruits and an ultra-smooth texture provide an impressive crescendo to a very long finish.

JS97 James Suckling: This is a powerful and structured red with full body, focused and polished tannins and a long and flavorful finish. It’s very close to the great 2013. A blend of 93 per cent cabernet sauvignon and seven per cent cabernet franc. Needs three or four years to come around.

D94 Decanter: In 2010 there was a change of winemaker at Rubicon, and the new arrival was Philippe Bascaules from Château Margaux. He soon made changes that were, one assumes, aimed at bringing more elegance and less density to the wine. This is certainly apparent here - the nose is ripe and vibrant, with intense mint and blackberry aromas that display purity of fruit and well-judged oak. Suave and polished, it shows finer tannins than the 2006, and enough acidity to give punch and persistence. It has a drier finish than most Napa Cabernets, which often have a sweetness that may be derived from high alcohol. So, there's a welcome austerity here and this will age well.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast: This is an intriguingly feral, herbal and classically styled wine, dripping in sage, toasted oak and wrap-around tannin. Cranberry, clove and cassis form a tangle of nuanced, graceful flavor nestled within a core of impressive structure. This is one to put away for awhile. Cellar Selection

WS92 Wine Spectator: A savory hint leads the way, followed quickly by ample red currant and blackberry fruit flavors. Tobacco and freshly plowed earth accents score the finish, where the savory element lingers. Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich! Please tell me that World Crocs Day is for the large reptiles and not the shoes.

Living near the Everglades, I can deal with crocodiles and alligators. But the Crocs, they must be stopped. They're mutating.

high-heel-crocs1.jpg

Edited by POA1
  • Like 16
  • Haha 18

Good morning everyone. It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood. At least it will be when the sun warms everting up. My visit with Sam yesterday was very emotional. I don’t think we’ve been apart for this many days in the almost 62 years we’ve been married. His speech is very good, but he’s still weak, and sometimes a bit confused. He’s very anxious to be better and asking for more PT after he’s had his quota for the day so he can practice walking more. Tomorrow we have a phone conference with my children, and a team from rehab to discuss what their goals are for him and to predict a discharge date. It won’t be in June, this much we know.

We we’re in Venice in 1984, not on a cruise, but a land trip. Sam lost his passport , or so he thought, in St. Marco square. I remember a trip to try to replace it and then he found it. I loved the city and always wanted to return, but that’s not going to be. I actually loved Florence the best of the cities we visited in Florence because I could walk  anywhere.

Carol

• Like 33

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!  Another sunny day to enjoy.  Thanks to @richwmnand @rafinmdfor the Daily and our lists of celebration and care.  Prayers to all in need and cheers for those celebrating.  No thanks to Croc Day, but I appreciate the nursing assistants who work in our hospital, clinics, nursing homes and hospice homes.  I enjoy vegetables of all kinds thank goodness.  Today's menu is something I would probably pass on because the only raw fish I like is in a tuna salad sandwich.  Someone else can have my share.  

We leave early in the morning for Missouri so I won't be online the next few mornings.  I'll check in of course later in the day.  Yesterday my nieces asked me to read a scripture at the church service for Nancy and I accepted.  I hope I can get through it without tears because I can't talk when I cry. 😪

I love visiting Venice and have been there about 4 times.  I'm sure there will be plenty of photos of that beautiful city.  This is a photo my brother said I should have made into a poster size print.  enhance

Have to pack for our trip but I'll check in later.

Sandi, what a great picture!  Another candidate for Canvas on Demand. 

• Like 12