The Daily for Thursday Jun 17, 2021

richwmn

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My favorite spot to buy pizza in Venice.  Then the gelato place is 20 steps away after eating the pizza.enhance

it's called Antico Forno enhance

The gelato enhance

enhance

You got me on the gelato.😋

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good Morning All,

Warm day with mercifully some cloud cover. Still have a tent to clean and stuff to put away. Have an online class for CEUs (continuing Education Units) required for my professional license starting in 15 minutes. And running all morning. Gotta go.

• Like 16

Hot and winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon. The fire is about 75% contained but not out. Pretty smoky this morning when I went for an early breakfast with some friends. We are supposed to go to Farmington, NM this afternoon, but I have a hunch people will want to stick closer to home until we know the fire is out... not just contained.

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich! Please tell me that World Crocs Day is for the large reptiles and not the shoes.

Living near the Everglades, I can deal with crocodiles and alligators. But the Crocs, they must be stopped. They're mutating.

high-heel-crocs1.jpg

LOL I wondered for a minute if this was the croc being celebrated, since there is a day for everything now. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Good morning everybody.  

What wonderful sleeping weather we've been having.  The window fan is back in place and cools the room down nicely if it's not above 85 degrees.  We're supposed to have what local news is calling "a heat wave" next week.  Seattle considers one day of almost 90 to be a heat wave.  I know.  I can hear everybody's laughter from here.  However Phoenix went nuts over a "storm" when I was there that would barely qualify as a shower in Seattle.  But I digress, I think I'm just going to forget about an air conditioner for now, by the time I figure out how to get it upstairs summer will be almost over.  

Thanks to all the listers.  Prayers and thoughts to all that need them.

In honor of world croc day, I will dedicate this post to the late Steve Irwin.

Have a great day everybody!

steveirwin.jpg.525f8955c7e8be710f2a6e2bdeca58e7.jpg

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 26

12 minutes ago, atexsix said:

LOL I wondered for a minute if this was the croc being celebrated, since there is a day for everything now. 

National Croc day is October 23.  I was thinking I wasn't into Crocs but then remembered I was surprised early this year to find a variant that I wear daily.

942142528_DSCF8481(Small).JPG.ee6ffb263e0251e491a20b28da7dbd72.JPG

Roy

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Good morning from another sunny day in central Texas.  Our humidity seemed to be down a little this morning when I ran some errands.

I try to have some veggies with dinner every day, but sometimes that doesn't work out.  I like raw spinach, but not cooked except for a little bit in pasta and oysters Rockefeller.  BTW, you can have my Brussel sprouts, too.  Tonight, there will be quite a few veggies in our pad Thai with just a little bit of chicken.

Nursing assistants should be celebrated everyday as they handle some of the more unpleasant jobs.  Crocs like all creatures, whether we like them or not. should be celebrated as they are an important part of the eco-system.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, you can have my poke bowl, too.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad you got to visit with Sam.  Hopefully, after the family conference with the medical team you will know more about what to expect.

@smitty34877  Hope Tana's pulmonary fibrosis is not too severe at this stage and that the medications and treatments others have mentioned will help slow the progression and give her a better quality of life.  She and her son are very lucky to have you and DD as her family.

@StLouisCruisers  Safe travels for what will be a bittersweet visit.

We have been to Venice five times on the Prinsendam and the Veendam beginning in 2016.  That was the first year we found a cruise we wanted to do that included Venice.  And I fell in love with the city.  I'll go through my pictures and see what I can find that is different.

In the meantime, in honor of croc day, here is a picture of one of the jumping crocs outside of Darwin, Australia.

IMG_1854.thumb.JPG.629b3b7ecfa21ba644a3f9356dc41b39.JPG

Lenda

• Like 27

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

National Croc day is October 23.  I was thinking I wasn't into Crocs but then remembered I was surprised early this year to find a variant that I wear daily.

942142528_DSCF8481(Small).JPG.ee6ffb263e0251e491a20b28da7dbd72.JPG

Roy

Goodness Roy, those shoes belong in a museum!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Good Morning!

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum.  Cheers to those on the celebratory list and healing hugs for those on the care list.

I have been to Venice 6 times.  The first was in 1972 doing a “Grand Tour” of Europe – way before digital (actually, the ex got the photos).  All the rest were by ship.

November 23 and 24, 2011.  An overnight stop on Celebrity Solstice.

Sailing in past St. Mark's Square

DSC01120.thumb.jpg.0cd77d895225915147477ce09ac963ed.jpg

April 6 and 7, 2015.  Island Princess, TA Fort Lauderdale/Venice.  Disembarked Island Princess on 4/7 and took the train to Bologna for 2 nights, then on to Civitavecchia for one night pre-cruise before boarding the Pacific Princess for the return to Fort Lauderdale.

Sailing past St. Mark's (again)

IMG_0467.thumb.jpg.4d44175e52e5ff3cd22bcad7237779a1.jpg

November 6 and 7, 2015.  After touring the Italian Lakes region for 8 days on our own, we boarded the Island Princess for her TA Venice/Fort Lauderdale.

This guy was getting ready to start his day.

DSC01957.thumb.jpg.3dd877207e765551998f7b2c3f763e69.jpg

April 3 to 5, 2016.  After disembarking the Oosterdam (TA Fort Lauderdale/Civitavecchia) on 4/3/16, we immediately took the train to Venice/Mestre where we spent 2 nights in Tessera (near VCE airport).  This trip we visited the island of Murano.  On April 5, 2016, we sailed from Venice on Pacific Princess, (TA Venice /Fort Lauderdale). 

IMG_0267.thumb.jpg.af4a5338b9827ebd59173f41c0a1d583.jpg 

Comet Glass Star, Murano.

DSC02403.thumb.jpg.72cee084ce210c0273cf44e809585180.jpg

November 23 and 24, 2017.  Boarded Pacific Princess (for the last time 😪) for B2B Venice/Civitavecchia/Fort Lauderdale.  This was after spending 6 nights in Parma on our own before taking the train to Venice/Mestre and spending the night pre-cruise in Tessera.

Love the Venetian masks!!

DSC00135.thumb.jpg.15b85c45f5b56196b8484353cecb4270.jpg

DSC00138.thumb.jpg.e3512717776cbd16d26803c4d7d3ca68.jpg

DSC00139.thumb.jpg.6ad3028e895729f1421e455bc8b32b95.jpg

😋

DSC00136.thumb.jpg.4e715d8b2d7042cc034780a7b08dc0db.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Omigosh!  Seriously?  Just a week too late for those of us who were booked on the Rotterdam inaugural.  Well, I'm glad that others have received a reprieve.

I wish Australia would do this so we can book our transpacific😥

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from another sunny day in central Texas.  Our humidity seemed to be down a little this morning when I ran some errands.

I try to have some veggies with dinner every day, but sometimes that doesn't work out.  I like raw spinach, but not cooked except for a little bit in pasta and oysters Rockefeller.  BTW, you can have my Brussel sprouts, too.  Tonight, there will be quite a few veggies in our pad Thai with just a little bit of chicken.

Nursing assistants should be celebrated everyday as they handle some of the more unpleasant jobs.  Crocs like all creatures, whether we like them or not. should be celebrated as they are an important part of the eco-system.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, you can have my poke bowl, too.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad you got to visit with Sam.  Hopefully, after the family conference with the medical team you will know more about what to expect.

@smitty34877  Hope Tana's pulmonary fibrosis is not too severe at this stage and that the medications and treatments others have mentioned will help slow the progression and give her a better quality of life.  She and her son are very lucky to have you and DD as her family.

@StLouisCruisers  Safe travels for what will be a bittersweet visit.

We have been to Venice five times on the Prinsendam and the Veendam beginning in 2016.  That was the first year we found a cruise we wanted to do that included Venice.  And I fell in love with the city.  I'll go through my pictures and see what I can find that is different.

In the meantime, in honor of croc day, here is a picture of one of the jumping crocs outside of Darwin, Australia.

Lenda

The tour I went on used marshmallows!  And they went crazy for them, lol.  We were told they think they are eggs.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 7

Good morning all!

As @atexsixsaid, we're due for a "heat wave" this coming week.  Slightly unusual for this early in the summer -- of course it may not last, we rarely have hot weather throughout the whole summer and that's fine with me. 🙂  We don't have A/C, but do have half a dozen fans.  Unfortunately our bedroom faces the west and is on the 2nd story (what were we thinking???)   I've been known to turn on 2 fans on some hot nights.  I "don't do heat well"  😅

Cheers to nursing assistants and no thanks to the crocs.  I like most vegetables, but there are a few I really, really don't like . 

No raw fish for me either, but do agree with @rafinmdabout the Lido omelettes!  My favorite breakfast on a BHB.  

We've been to Venice only once, in 2006 pre-cruise when we went to Egypt and the Eastern Med.  My photos are predigital and not as good as those already posted.   Hopefully we'll be back in Venice for a total of 3 days during and post-cruise this fall.

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

As @atexsixsaid, we're due for a "heat wave" this coming week.  Slightly unusual for this early in the summer -- of course it may not last, we rarely have hot weather throughout the whole summer and that's fine with me. 🙂  We don't have A/C, but do have half a dozen fans.  Unfortunately our bedroom faces the west and is on the 2nd story (what were we thinking???)   I've been known to turn on 2 fans on some hot nights.  I "don't do heat well"  😅

Cheers to nursing assistants and no thanks to the crocs.  I like most vegetables, but there are a few I really, really don't like . 

No raw fish for me either, but do agree with @rafinmdabout the Lido omelettes!  My favorite breakfast on a BHB.  

We've been to Venice only once, in 2006 pre-cruise when we went to Egypt and the Eastern Med.  My photos are predigital and not as good as those already posted.   Hopefully we'll be back in Venice for a total of 3 days during and post-cruise this fall.

My bedroom is on the 3rd floor of our townhouse facing south, it's hellish for a few hours even on mild days.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all, I was going to wait to post, but Venice as the port of the day meant I couldn't wait!  Everywhere you go there's another picture to take.  We spent a week there once, ahead of a cruise on Zuiderdam, and had a couple of days there also, on Prinsendam during a  cruise with DD.  The first one, we happened to be up the bell tower of St. Mark's when what did we see but our ship sailing in. 

P1010997_1.thumb.JPG.00cbbd3eb8c21ca0dd0992d96ccc0e8a.JPG

P1020002_1.thumb.JPG.fcbd4877f405f99b86ac67024ddcbfe7.JPG

P1020021_1.thumb.JPG.6b21cc91de5a09ce39bfac57a0f1b831.JPG

P1020047_1.thumb.JPG.3d77db8559761a6eafe35499e312fc10.JPG

P1020081_1.thumb.JPG.67c1dfb9c440c8a727e9a6245e72f628.JPG

I think this is the biggest door I've ever seen.

P1020012.thumb.JPG.31767cba3eba6f1ffc0cabc5a4b7cce6.JPG

P1020200.thumb.JPG.7dcddbb4de9092b24dc237f0210808c8.JPG

P1020055_1.thumb.JPG.fc1edaebc59c21b232424aaa56c6c9cc.JPG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Time for a break.  I checked for photos from our last time in Venice, Pacific Princess transatlantic, Nov. 24, 2018.  A few different shots.  I notice the best pictures seem to be from the IPhone rather than the camera.  enhance

I stuck my head into this open doorway into a shop.  enhance

enhance

enhance

Another gondola picture but this time the color of the water and the clouds bring some interest to the subject.enhance

The bridge of sighsenhance

Remember it's November so it gets dark earlier that time of year.  Pacific Princess sailing down the canal leaving Venice about dinner time.enhance

Your pictures are outstanding. Thanks for sharing them. I Love Venice !

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

The jumping croc's do manage to put on a show. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Hot and winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon. The fire is about 75% contained but not out. Pretty smoky this morning when I went for an early breakfast with some friends. We are supposed to go to Farmington, NM this afternoon, but I have a hunch people will want to stick closer to home until we know the fire is out... not just contained.

Susan

Thanks for the fire update.  Good that they have a handle on it right now.

I salute all nurses, nursing assistants , PA's, all medical providers.  It has been quite a year for them all.

Always eat my veggies.  Have had Poke...it was good.  

Love the Venice photos.  We also had a cruise there cancelled but we are booked now on the Eurodam in Sept. leaving from Venice.  (Eurodam replaced the Westerdam)  So still are thinking about going.  FInal payment isn't until mid July.  We have great plane tickets and a hotel booked with free cancellation.  So time will tell.  I want to get excited about cruising but then I am not sure the time is right.  I will dither about it right up to when we have to make final decision!

Thanks for all the news and lists.  Prayer to all and cheers to those celebrating.

Sun is out here...have had my walk and now will get myself checking things off my to do list!

Take care and stay well.

• Like 18

18 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

We've had Poke in Hilo and it was very good. I haven't tried any Minnesota versions yet....

Crocs in the Tarcoles River, Costa Rica -

DSC_0986.thumb.JPG.224253b0758d6fb85f01e0749a1d90c1.JPG

DSC_0975.thumb.JPG.448606e9780acba8241f49f9aa33ba7e.JPG

DSC_0989.thumb.JPG.1767bd3ec0e015015f4c2d94099c8828.JPGDSC_0977.thumb.JPG.ced266aa26d99a5e5f149d94c0844c52.JPG

Those are big crocs.  I remember them from our tour in Costa Rica, but the pictures are pre didgital.

• Like 8

We visited Venice three times. My favorite memory was from the first visit. DH & I had settled in at a cafe along one of the side canals for lunch & an apperol spritz (of course). Gondolas were passing by with singing gondoliers & we were enjoying the music. Then, one passed by with the gondolier singing that classic Italian song -- "The Girl from Ipanema"! I'm afraid I spilled some of the spritz because I was laughing so hard!!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 14
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. I will have extra broccoli with dinner. NA's are valuable assets in healthcare. 

I'll pass on the meal; I don't eat much fish, but definitely not raw. I'll take the wine but the drink is probably too sweet for me.

I've been to Italy but not to Venice. Thanks for the pictures from those who have been there.

It was quite chilly again this morning. 40F. I had to put an extra blanket on the bed! It's a nice 71F now.

I'll be inside despite the nice weather, as my eye is red and light sensitive again today.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels. Great pictures!

@mamaofami Praying for continued improvement for Sam.

@durangoscots Awful about the drought and fires. Stay safe!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19

Good morning everyone and Happy Thursday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Great collection of days today. I couldn’t live without veggies and nursing assistants are vital. I’ll keep the Crocs away though. 

I would eat poke in Hawaii or at the coast but not here because the fish would have been frozen first. 

I am going to post about Venice in a separate post. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18