Best pre cruise hotel Fort Lauderdale

delondin

We have a choice of Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina or Sonesta Fort Lauderdale beach.  The cruise will be in the Spring break period.  I prefer a room with a balcony which the Marina has and the Sonesta doesn't appear to have, but I get the impression the Sonesta would be quieter.  We would like to be within walking distance of shops, restaurants etc.  We like a sea view from our room.  Thanks.

At that time of year I would chose the HIlton.

The Sonesta is directly across the street (A1A) from the beach which is not where I would want to be during spring break.  Any other time of the year, the location isn't a problem.  During spring break the beach, the sidewalks, and the crosswalks are packed.  Locals avoid driving the beach stretch because it can take forever to make any forward progress due to jaywalkers.  Make sure you tell your driver not to take A1A to get to the hotel if you do chose it.   In many places - especially south of the Sonesta where the bars and restaurants are located - the sidewalks are mobbed.

The Hilton isn't located on the beach, it is within a block or two to one of the entrances to the port, and has plenty of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance even during spring break. It is also much closer to the airport and hence cheaper airport to hotel to port transportation.

I have to disagree with Capriccio.  Sorry.  I have been to the Sonesta numerous times; it is our hotel of choice whether cruising out of FLL or Miami, and when we do land vacations in FLL, we ALWAYS stay at the Sonesta.  It's about 1/2  mile from the Galleria Mall.  Primantis Pizza is around the corner and open damn near 24/7.  Awesome pizza, and very good and reasonable place for breakfast.  There is a liquor store about a block away, and also about 1/2 mile away is Blue Martini (bar/restaurant with live bands every day)  I have never encountered many young people at this hotel or on the beach across the street.  This is a much quieter area in FLL.  Service is fabulous at the Sonesta and all rooms are oceanview.  No balconies though. If you've never stayed, give it a shot.  I'll be there for a girls' vacation (leaving the hubbies home) from 9/15 - 9/18 this year and I will be there on 1/1/22 for one night with my husband before we get on the Radiance of the Seas on the 2nd.

I would chose the Sonesta the rest of the year but not during spring break.  We avoid the beach front every March because of the location (and the attendant crowds) not the hotel.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

Oh, one more thing.  If you decide you will definitely stay at the Sonesta, check prices on hotwire.  Pick 4 star in Fort Lauderdale Beach area.  If you see a hotel and it says it is .7 miles from the Galleria Mall, that hotel is the Sonesta.  I was able to book ours on hotwire for 1/1/23 for $265 night, plus taxes and resort fee, as opposed to the extremely high price of booking it on Sonesta's website directly.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:50 AM, delondin said:The cruise will be in the Spring break period.  

I had a cruise during Spring Break in 2018.   We stayed at Best Western Oceanside, 1180 Sea Breeze, FLL.  We took the trolley along the beach area.  It took us 2x times the normal time to travel along the water front.  The sidewalks were so crowded with college kids. Across the road, the restaurants were crowded with music blaring and kids dancing on tables.  Police were out in full force.

We keep saying, we were so glad our hotel was away from that area.  Our hotel was 100 yards from the beach and the beach was empty and quiet.

22 minutes ago, delondin said:

What are the actual dates of spring break? 

College and university dates vary throughout the month.  Schools with kids between the ages of 5 to 18 usually have the week off before Easter (which is in April 17 next year) or sometimes the week after.

Its the college and university students who can be most disruptive.  The families with younger kids aren't disruptive but be aware that hotels jack up their prices for the before and after Easter weeks.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

College and university dates vary throughout the month.  Schools with kids between the ages of 5 to 18 usually have the week off before Easter (which is in April 17 next year) or sometimes the week after.

Its the college and university students who can be most disruptive.  The families with younger kids aren't disruptive but be aware that hotels jack up their prices for the before and after Easter weeks.

So our cruise is 13 March will this avoid the main break ?

7 hours ago, delondin said:

I have no experience with this website aimed at students but it includes hundreds of US colleges and universities to give you an idea of spring break dates.  The table can be sorted by date. March 12 to March 19 looks like a very popular week.    https://www.studentcity.com/plan-a-trip/when-is-my-spring-break/

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

I have no experience with this website aimed at students but it includes hundreds of US colleges and universities to give you an idea of spring break dates.  The table can be sorted by date. March 12 to March 19 looks like a very popular week.    https://www.studentcity.com/plan-a-trip/when-is-my-spring-break/

Thank you. 

On 6/19/2021 at 7:51 AM, pooh/tigger said:

Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport - South & Cruise Port

Is this a good place for just one night before a cruise? How far from port is it? 

We have stayed at this hotel several times.  It is fine for a night pre-cruise.  It is clean and the staff has always been great.  We book through Valuetrips.com because they have discounts for this hotel.

It is a short ride, perhaps a mile or two at the most, from the port.

6 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

We have stayed at this hotel several times.  It is fine for a night pre-cruise.  It is clean and the staff has always been great.  We book through Valuetrips.com because they have discounts for this hotel.

You talking about the same one? I looked at Valuetrips and they listed the one on 10th and this one is at 91 Southwest 18th Avenue, Dania Beach, Florida, United States, 33004

Thank you

On 6/19/2021 at 7:51 AM, pooh/tigger said:

Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport - South & Cruise Port

Is this a good place for just one night before a cruise? How far from port is it? 

1 minute ago, katiel53 said:

pooh/tigger is inquiring about the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach (91 SW 18th Ave and about 6 miles south of Port Everglades), not the Hyatt Place (1851 SE 10th Ave) off 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale.

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

pooh/tigger is inquiring about the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach (91 SW 18th Ave and about 6 miles south of Port Everglades), not the Hyatt Place (1851 SE 10th Ave) off 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale.

I'm sorry as I am directionally challenged and the 10th St Hyatt Place is what I've seen as the cruise port Hyatt.  I've not stayed at the other one.  Thanks for correcting me.

On 6/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, delondin said:

Hi, it is quite likely March is in the middle of spring break......it can vary from state to state and university to university as well as high schools too.  I remember sailing during spring break once (stupid of me on my part)......not realizing there would be so many kids on board. If I sail in the spring now? It is not to the Caribbean anymore.