World cruise early booking discounts and promotions??

Hflors

I put down a holder for the 2024 grand world cruise.  The rep started to tell me about discounts and promotions for booking early and paying it off early, but we got on another topic and she never got to explain what any of them were.  Does anyone remember what the promotions or early booking discounts were???  I gave them 6 cabins I was interested in, do you think that is enough???  Will they offer me another cabin if all 6 are spoken for or will they just cancel my booking?  

How far in advance do you get the list of visas needed?  Is it possible to get the visas on your own?  Is it very complicated to get the visas?   

Last question.  DH isn't really onboard with this trip, has anyone left their spouse/partner at home and done the trip by themselves?   Any info would be appreciated.  

Thanks in advance for any and all help....

Hflors - I'm picky about cabin locations - I want PAX above, below, and across the corridor - so if I were you I'd try to nail down your cabin location as soon as possible, especially for a world cruise.

I've always obtained my own visas using the US state department website as a guide for which countries require visas in advance, which countries use electronic visas etc.  My current booking for a world cruise on P&O includes a list of which countries I'll need a visa for and I'll handle them myself.

Now, to your "hot topic" question, cruising without your DH.  I have done several cruises without She Who Must Be Obeyed, usually because she is not interested in the itinerary or for being on a ship for an extended period - such as an Around The Horn cruise from Florida to California.  I have also done extended solo motorcycle trips.  By the same token, she has travelled without me when I have no interest in the trip.  The key for us is we agreed years ago to not have any regrets about things we didn't do when we had a chance. 

Cruising solo grants me the freedom to eat when and where I want, to attend or skip the evening show if I want, and to go ashore or stay on board on port days.  Not every move requires a committee decision.  I can usually strike up a conversation with most anybody and some of those moments have produced long-term friendships beyond the cruise.  If you are confident and project an aura of confidence, you will not have trouble socializing on the ship.  A smile and a raised glass by way of a greeting goes a long way.

Good luck on your planning.  Remember - no regrets.  Mark Twain said something to the effect that twenty years from now you'll regret more the things you didn't do than the things you did

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 2

I agree  book a specific cabin number

Sounds like you are on Viking ??

On the Oceania RTW  world cruise there were several solo cruisers   check for Blogs on the O forum 

I know Oceania will get the Visa for you  it is  a time consuming process  to diy   but you could use a VISA service 

Enjoy

7 hours ago, Hflors said:

I put down a holder for the 2024 grand world cruise.  The rep started to tell me about discounts and promotions for booking early and paying it off early, but we got on another topic and she never got to explain what any of them were.  Does anyone remember what the promotions or early booking discounts were???  I gave them 6 cabins I was interested in, do you think that is enough???  Will they offer me another cabin if all 6 are spoken for or will they just cancel my booking?  

How far in advance do you get the list of visas needed?  Is it possible to get the visas on your own?  Is it very complicated to get the visas?   

Last question.  DH isn't really onboard with this trip, has anyone left their spouse/partner at home and done the trip by themselves?   Any info would be appreciated.  

Thanks in advance for any and all help....

Without knowing the cruise line, it is impossible to know what discounts & promotions are on offer. Probably best to call back to get all the information you need to make a decision.

On all 3 World Cruises we have booked - 1 Princess & 2 Viking Ocean, we knew the area of the ship before calling and were provided a list of cabins in that section. We selected 1 cabin and made a provisional booking, which we had about 3 weeks to confirm. If interested, I suggest deciding on a cabin and making a provisional booking, if the cruise line accepts these. The cabin we selected was reserved for us to confirm with payment of the deposit, or until the provisional booking expired.

Visas - how far in advance and how challenging they are to acquire is dependent on the itinerary. Many of the premium/luxury cruise lines provide a Visa procurement service, which requires you to complete forms and send in your passports to their vendor. In our experience, they wanted our passports & application forms about 3 months before departure.

Can you do Visas yourself - yes. How much work again depends on the itinerary and the number of countries that require you to visit their Embassy/Visa Section. However, many are now eVisas or eTA's, so can be completed online. If doing it yourself, you need to complete the research to determine the requirements of each country visited. 

We always travel together, finding an itinerary we both like. Once onboard, at times we will visit different activities and even different tours. 

• Like 1

Sorry, we have a place on holland American's 2024 world cruise.   The itinerary for znd actual booking will not be available until next year.  We just have z booking with requested cabins we would be happy to be im.

Edited by Hflors
  • Like 1

Booking my world cruise early and using the discount for paying the full amount months before the full amount was due saved me a good sum of dollars.

I used a Visa Service for the visas that the ship was unable to obtain for its guests.

I have met several people who left their spouse at home for whatever reason.  I have met people whose spouses joined them for part of a long cruise.  You might consider if that would be something your spouse might have some interest.  

2 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Sorry, we have a place on holland American's 2024 world cruise.

My 1 and one-quarter world cruises were aboard the Amsterdam.  At the time, the early full pay discount was 5%.  Don't know what it now is.  I don't recall about other booking perks except what was offered varied by stateroom category booked.  

When I booked, I knew the stateroom location that I wanted and had even picked out the number of the stateroom.  When my travel agent made my booking that specific stateroom was available.  That's an advantage of booking as early as one can.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

My 1 and one-quarter world cruises were aboard the Amsterdam.  At the time, the early full pay discount was 5%.  Don't know what it now is.  I don't recall about other booking perks except what was offered varied by stateroom category booked.  

When I booked, I knew the stateroom location that I wanted and had even picked out the number of the stateroom.  When my travel agent made my booking that specific stateroom was available.  That's an advantage of booking as early as one can.  

The rep for hal said that since we would be booking when the bookings open next year she said hal usually offers promotions for the early booking.  I gave the rep 6 cabin numbers we would be happy to stay in  (actually I made a mistake with one of my cabin numbers and told the rep a disabled cabin.  I didn't realize it until zfter I hung up.  I am going to call back on monday and make s correction)

We booked on Vikings 22-23 WC a few weeks after it came out.  While we didn’t get our preferred cabin, we got one not too far from it.  Not long afterwards it was sold out, but in the meantime I DID notice some of the perks for booking when I did decreased from when I booked for us.

We did get a discount for booking early and having cruises scheduled.  TBH, I can’t tell you how much it was off the top of my head.  We also used one of our 125% vouchers for a cruise we had already scheduled against it….which helped a little.

When a WC came on my radar, DH was “nope, no way in hell am I gonna be on a ship for nearly 6 months”.  It took him about 2 years to change his mind about it, and I think he got on board for several reasons.  (1)  I found a solution for taking care of the pets and house.  (2). Every cruise we have been on….increasingly longer cruises….he was still reluctant to leave and (3) Introducing him to Andy’s blog when they were on the Magical Mystery Tour.  I really didn’t need do a whole lot of pushing ;).  Right now, he asks me regularly as to how many days left.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hflors said:

The rep for hal said that since we would be booking when the bookings open next year she said hal usually offers promotions for the early booking.  I gave the rep 6 cabin numbers we would be happy to stay in  (actually I made a mistake with one of my cabin numbers and told the rep a disabled cabin.  I didn't realize it until zfter I hung up.  I am going to call back on monday and make s correction)

Respectfully, I ask this.  Why are you doing this yourself?  Why are you not using a travel agent that is experienced with world cruising?  It will not cost you one penny more.  You will not loose any perks that HAL offers.  You will probably gain whatever perks that the cruise agency will add as well.  This may include a host/hostess with private parties during the cruise, agency client only shore excursions, more on-board credit to spend.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Respectfully, I ask this.  Why are you doing this yourself?  Why are you not using a travel agent that is experienced with world cruising?  It will not cost you one penny more.  You will not loose any perks that HAL offers.  You will probably gain whatever perks that the cruise agency will add as well.  This may include a host/hostess with private parties during the cruise, agency client only shore excursions, more on-board credit to spend.  

I decided to not get my TA involved until I have an actual cabin on a ship.  Once we see the itineary, ship and pay the balance of the deposit then I will get my TA  involved.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hflors said:

I decided to not get my TA involved until I have an actual cabin on a ship.  Once we see the itineary, ship and pay the balance of the deposit then I will get my TA  involved.  

Not sure I fully understand your situation.

Are you considering making a provisional booking and paying a partial deposit on a cruise where HAL hasn't published the itinerary or ship's name.

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure I fully understand your situation.

Are you considering making a provisional booking and paying a partial deposit on a cruise where HAL hasn't published the itinerary or ship's name.

What I made was a $100 deposit for HAL's  2024 world cruise.  When you put down the deposit you give them a list of cabins you would like to cruise in, the 2023 world cruisers have first choice, after that the people with deposits get their choices.   Before I make the balance of the deposit payment (total deposit is $7000 for wc, I put down $200 balance I will owe is $6800) I will know the ship and the itinerary.  If I don't like ship or itinerary or I just change my mind the deposit is refunded.  

Edited by Hflors
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hflors said:

What I made was a $100 deposit for HAL's  2024 world cruise.  When you put down the deposit you give them a list of cabins you would like to cruise in, the 2023 world cruisers have first choice, after that the people with deposits get their choices.   Before I make the balance of the deposit payment (total deposit is $7000 for wc, I put down $200 balance I will owe is $6800) I will know the ship and the itinerary.  If I don't like ship or itinerary or I just change my mind the deposit is refunded.  

Thanks for explaining the situation.

Might not be a huge amount of money, but especially in these difficult times for cruise lines you are way braver than me. Giving Carnival Corp money for a cruise that hasn't been published and they haven't even confirmed the ship is a marketing marvel.

I hope the discounts and perks received are of significantly higher value than the pre-deposit.

8 hours ago, Hflors said:

I appreciate your explanation; thank you.  I think your decision not to involve your travel agent at this early stage probably would be appreciated by your agent.  It's my understanding that agents are very busy.

You are trying to secure a booking quite earlier before the cruise date than I did for either of my world cruise experiences.  

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the question of perks, we are interested in the difference between WC on HAL and on Cunard, understanding that things may have changed post pandemic.  We are interested in the QV in January, 2023 should a Grill open up for the 74-day itinerary from San Fran to Southampton.  However, we have been spoiled by HAL's Grand Voyages, with free unlimited luggage, pillow gifts, free Gratuities, four bottle of spirits, etc.  For those of you who have sailed Cunard WC, any info is appreciated.   Thanks so much.  We have sailed on the QM but we would not take her on a WC.  

• 2 months later...

Here is a printout the the early booking perks for HAL on the 2022 cruise.   They are typically the same every year.

If you pay in full 3 months early you get a 3% discount.   The is equal to a 12 % annualized return - tax free...good deal

2021-22 Grand Voyages Early Booking Benefits_7-31-20[1] (1).pdf

12 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you pay in full 3 months early you get a 3% discount.   The is equal to a 12 % annualized return - tax free...good deal

I thought so as well.  And, particularly with the "wonderful" interest rates being paid on savings/money market accounts where a world cruise money might be stashed, taking advantage of that discount ought to be a no-brainer.  

• 2 months later...

As to your question about leaving your spouse at home and traveling alone, this is what I did a few years ago. The itinerary was my bucket list cruise and my wife said there was no way she could be on a ship for that long, so I went alone. 

I traveled quit a bit during my working years so traveling alone was not an issue for me. As others have stated, you could do what ever YOU wanted when you want. I make friends easily and by the third day, I was with a group who met daily and had lots of fun. 

I could be alone when I wanted or joined some of the group for dining or shore excursions.  I would not hesitate to do it again except I promised my wife I wouldn’t. 

• Like 1