More Cancellations!

VMax1700

That’s not looking hopeful for my transpacific in april but still a slim chance the Jan through March Japan sailings will go.  So sorry to hear that more cruises got shifted as we’ll all been waiting so long.   What a logistical problem this has been for the cruise lines and all the ports negotiating openings and closures in the midst of some countries not at the same point in their vaccination efforts as we are.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I am not happy.  We were on the Rotterdam, leaving Amsterdam on the TA on October 10.  The first part of the itinerary was the best part. Before sailing, we were traveling and I have made five different reservations in Rome, Sorrento, Cinque Terra, Paris and the Amsterdam. 

Now they have cancelled the first 10 days.

I'll be cancelling the TA.  Not interested in the 14 night itinerary. 

What's really aggravating is that we were originally on the Norwegian TA leaving Rome Nov 2 and they cancelled that and I have had to rebook everything one time already!!

I think the companies just feel safer doing Caribbean cruises from the US. Maybe Covid will bounce back in Europe and will be too hard to handle safely.

7 minutes ago, LynnTTT said:

Sorry, but I am not happy.  We were on the Rotterdam, leaving Amsterdam on the TA on October 10.  The first part of the itinerary was the best part. Before sailing, we were traveling and I have made five different reservations in Rome, Sorrento, Cinque Terra, Paris and the Amsterdam. 

Now they have cancelled the first 10 days.

Believe me, you are not alone 😢. I feel your pain.  I’ve had to cancel far too many tours, hotels and air fare.  It’s no fun but sadly, you either do what’s offered or you wait.   I know it’s unfair but we are in unprecedented times.  

I am not giving up on cruising yet but I am getting tired of planning, researching and watching it all go down the tubes 😡 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Believe me, you are not alone 😢. I feel your pain.  I’ve had to cancel far too many tours, hotels and air fare.  It’s no fun but sadly, you either do what’s offered or you wait.   I know it’s unfair but we are in unprecedented times.  

I am not giving up on cruising yet but I am getting tired of planning, researching and watching it all go down the tubes 😡 

I am with you, will we have canceled as opposed to being canceled, I am not planning anything else until cruising is fully resumed.

• Like 3

HAL seems to be having a very gradual start up. Look for cruises on their site, both active and inactive. In July and August, the only ships that show up are the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska and the Eurodam in Europe. In September they are joined by the Zuiderdam doing the West Coast/ Mexican Riviera. They show no HAL ships doing ANY sailings out of Florida in the first few months. Interesting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

HAL seems to be having a very gradual start up. Look for cruises on their site, both active and inactive. In July and August, the only ships that show up are the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska and the Eurodam in Europe. In September they are joined by the Zuiderdam doing the West Coast/ Mexican Riviera. They show no HAL ships doing ANY sailings out of Florida in the first few months. Interesting.

According to their news release they will have 4 ships sailing out of Florida.   The emphasis for the ships sailing seems to be mostly Signature, Pinnacle and a bit of Vista class.

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

There is also a press release on Carnival Corp site:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/holland-america-line-announces-fall-cruise-2021-plans-two-ships

Holland America Line Announces Fall Cruise 2021 Plans with Two Ships Operating West Coast Departures from San Diego and Four Ships Sailing in the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale
Koningsdam to make West Coast debut with cruises to Mexico, Hawaii and California coast; Rotterdam sails maiden season in Caribbean

SEATTLE, June 21, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Holland America Line is gearing up to restart cruising out of Port of San Diego in California beginning with a season of cruises to Mexico, Hawaii and along the California coast aboard Koningsdam and Zuiderdam. The cruise line has expanded the season with the addition of six new cruise departures for Zuiderdam and two new cruises on Koningsdam, offering a total of 40 cruises from San Diego from September 2021 through April 2022.

Holland America Line will restart cruising from San Diego with cruises to Mexico, Hawaii and the California coast.

With the resumption of service on the West Coast, Holland America Line also is looking toward cruising in the Caribbean with four ships. All sailing roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the season will begin Oct. 23, 2021, with Nieuw Amsterdam. The ship will be joined by the new Rotterdam Nov. 3, Eurodam Nov. 14 and Nieuw Statendam Nov. 21. Caribbean cruises range in length from four to 14 days, span the entire region and include a call at Half Moon Cay, Holland America Line's award-winning private island.

"San Diego has always been an incredible homeport for our ships, and we are eager to restart on the West Coast with two ships operating an expanded season, including the debut of Koningsdam on these itineraries and close-to-home California cruises that our guests are going to love," said Gus Antorcha, president of Holland America Line. "We've also been anticipating announcing our plans for the Caribbean and we're thrilled to have four ships in the region, including our new Rotterdam. Cruising is back and having vaccinated ships for these cruises in 2021 ensures that we can deliver the experience just how our guests remember and expect. We're ready to cruise!"

A Cruise Experience That is a Cruise
The on-board cruise experience will offer amenities that are a hallmark of the brand. Dining will be available in all restaurants and specialty venues, as well as room service. Entertainment will be in full swing in the main show lounge, and live music and dancing will be featured in Lincoln Center Stage, B.B. King's Blues Club, Billboard Onboard and Rolling Stone Rock Room.

Port-to-Table culinary demonstrations, EXC Talks and other enrichment programming will bring regional cultures on board through engaging activities and special presentations. Guests may choose to explore port destinations independently or on ship-sponsored tours, following the local ports' health guidelines.  

Highlights of the 2021-2022 San Diego Cruise Season:

• Zuiderdam: Sept. 18, 2021, to April 22, 2022: 17 cruises from San Diego — eight Mexico, four California coast, three Hawaii and two Panama Canal.
  • Koningsdam: Oct. 10, 2021, to April 3, 2022: 23 cruises from San Diego — 15 Mexico, six California coast and two Hawaii cruises.
  • Seven-day cruises along the California coast include a new itinerary that calls at Catalina, Santa Barbara and San Francisco for a late evening stay, along with Ensenada, Mexico. Additional "Classic California Coast" cruises include California calls at Santa Barbara, San Francisco and Avalon, and at Ensenada.
  • A new 21-day Panama Canal cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam from Seattle, Washington, to Fort Lauderdale departs Oct. 2 and includes calls at San Diego; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Fuerte Amador (Panama City), Panama;; Oranjestad, Aruba; and Half Moon Cay.
  • All seven-day "Mexican Riviera" cruises feature three Mexican ports of call: Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán and Cabo San Lucas.
  • "Mexico and Sea of Cortez" itineraries are between nine and 12 days and call at a combination of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, Cabo San Lucas, Guaymas, Topolobampo, Pichilingue (La Paz) and Loreto, Mexico.
  • "Circle Hawaii" cruises are 17 or 18 days and call at the Hawaiian ports of Lahaina, Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili and Kona, and Ensenada.
  • Two 14-day cruises through the Panama Canal from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale on Zuiderdam depart Jan. 2 and Jan. 30, 2022.

Highlights of the 2021-2022 Caribbean Cruise Season:

• Nieuw Amsterdam: Oct. 23, 2021, to April 7, 2022: 24 cruises to the eastern, western and southern Caribbean. All itineraries are seven days except a nine-day holiday cruise departing Dec. 30.
  • Rotterdam: Nov. 3, 2021, to April 10, 2022: The ship kicks off its maiden season in the Caribbean with a series of 22 cruises, ranging from three to 11 days covering a wide offering of Caribbean ports.
  • Eurodam: Nov. 14, 2021, to April 10, 2022: 15 departures, including 12 10- and 11-day Panama Canal Sunfarer cruises featuring a partial Panama Canal exploration of Gatun Lake and three seven-day eastern Caribbean itineraries.
  • Nieuw Statendam: Nov. 21, 2021, to March 27, 2022: 15 cruises to the eastern, western, southern and tropical Caribbean ranging from seven to 11 days.
  • All itineraries include a call at Half Moon Cay, Holland America Line's private Bahamian island. This quintessential sanctuary features the finest beaches in the Caribbean; a natural 700-acre lagoon; incredible two-story villas and private cabanas; delicious dining venues like Lobster Shack; and a variety of fun-filled shore excursions for nature lovers, adventurous travelers and explorers.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

According to their news release they will have 4 ships sailing out of Florida.   The emphasis for the ships sailing seems to be mostly Signature, Pinnacle and a bit of Vista class.

If you look at the dates, the Konigsdam doesn’t sail until October. It does one Mexican Riviera, and then moves to Florida. The Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam join the party in November. Until October, the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zuiderdam make up the whole fleet. They cover Europe, Alaska, the West Coast and Hawaii.
It makes sense to keep things small and tight for the initial start up. It’s much easier to control. Of course, it also makes sense not to do the Caribbean sailings until late fall due to normal hot weather considerations..

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

If you look at the dates, the Konigsdam doesn’t sail until October. It does one Mexican Riviera, and then moves to Florida. The Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam join the party in November. Until October, the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zuiderdam make up the whole fleet. They cover Europe, Alaska, the West Coast and Hawaii.
It makes sense to keep things small and tight for the initial start up. It’s much easier to control. Of course, it also makes sense not to do the Caribbean sailings until late fall due to normal hot weather considerations..

that’s pretty much standard for Caribbean in normal times.

Just hoping all goes well for the cruises and the passengers 👍 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

If you look at the dates, the Konigsdam doesn’t sail until October. It does one Mexican Riviera, and then moves to Florida. The Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam join the party in November. 

Konigsdam is moving to Florida?  From my understanding after reading what they’ve just released, Konigsdam is based in San Diego for the fall & winter season.

(And I certainly hope so because our 17-day Hawaii cruise in January, postponed fromMarch 2020, is on Konigsdam out of SanDiego.)

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

Booked on volendam for my 50th Anniversary on december 18th.  This is the second year in a row that my anniversary cruise has been cancelled.  So now what am I supposed to do???  Hal I am giving up any hope that you will re-start.   More than likely you are headed under.  Oh well now comes the long battle to get my money back again!!!

9 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Konigsdam is moving to Florida?  From my understanding after reading what they’ve just released, Konigsdam is based in San Diego for the fall & winter season.

(And I certainly hope so because our 17-day Hawaii cruise in January, postponed fromMarch 2020, is on Konigsdam out of SanDiego.)

Your understanding is correct!  Kdam and Zuiderdam will be on West Coast doing Coastal, Hawaii and Mex Rev Cruises as well as some PC.   Seth was on Kdam today in San Diego today announcing this.  

• Like 1

It doesn't look good for the January 2022 Asia sailings. Why don't they just pull the plug on those too? My Noordam sailing is January 17th.I would rather they cancel now-do they really think things will be better a month later? 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

that’s pretty much standard for Caribbean in normal times.

Just hoping all goes well for the cruises and the passengers 👍 

Yes. It looks like they’re taking a careful, well thought out approach. That looks promising for a successful return to cruising. I’m hoping that the absence of the Volendam and Zaandam in the beginning is a sign they’ll be getting outfitted and groomed for their new  Grand Voyage status.  I doubt a full refit is in the budget, but there’s still a lot can be done!

Joining the others on being sad about our Volendam cruises being canceled.  We decided to spend the holidays on a ship last year - and then they sold the Amsterdam and that cruise was canceled.  This year we booked on the Volendam, and now that cruise is canceled.  We were also to be on the maiden voyage of the Rotterdam, staying on for the next cruise, then Norway - and that's canceled, too.  I understand about the COVID cancellations and I'm glad they want us to be safe.  But losing two holiday cruises in a row is sad.  There is a similar cruise on the Rotterdam for the holidays this year, with only a slight difference in the itinerary, so we have turned much of our sadness into excitement as we look at that one.  But, the kicker is the airfare - from $1200 to $2800 because the dates shifted very slightly.  Oh well, this will all shake out somehow - I guess we are all getting pretty flexible!

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Right you are! My mistake. It’s the Nieuw Amsterdam that shifts over to the Caribbean.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SDadven said:

I’m wondering if anyone knows what is going on with the other cruise lines? Are they experiencing similar cancellations? 

Yes, but HAL has been more realistic/proactive with cancellations than others. Also their smaller fleet, longer average cruise length and more global deployment strategy is slowing the restart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not sure when the press release on the Carnival Corp site was posted but my cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam on Nov 6th was cancelled on June 10th:

June 10, 2021

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to cruise with Holland America Line on:

Nieuw Amsterdam  I175

7-Day Western Caribbean – Roundtrip Fort Lauderdale

November 6, 2021

We greatly appreciate your choosing Holland America Line and we know that you are looking forward to your cruise (booking XXXXXXX).

We are writing to let you know of a change we are making to our deployment that unfortunately impacts your cruise. The 7-Day Western Caribbean voyage you’re booked on is being cancelled. We sincerely apologize for this change as we never like to disappoint our guests. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and would like to assist you in reserving an alternate sailing.

We invite you to make a booking on any one of the following voyages:

Nieuw Amsterdam  I172

October 23, 2021

Nieuw Statendam  J176

November 21, 2021

Choose any one of the voyages listed above and you will be re-accommodated in the same (or equivalent) stateroom category at the rate already paid. In addition a Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category booked:

·         $100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Pinnacle Suite bookings

·         $100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Neptune Suite bookings

·         $100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Signature Suite bookings

·         $75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Verandah Stateroom bookings

·         $50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for Ocean-view Stateroom bookings

·         $50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for Interior Stateroom bookings

All the above Shipboard Credits are denominated in USD.

If you would prefer not to book one of the above replacement voyages but rebook to any other 7-day Caribbean voyage sailing November 2021 through April 2022, excluding Holiday sailings, the above Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category booked.

Cancellation Protection Plan cost and Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses will be calculated based on the new booking.

Hoping my booking on the Eurodam for Nov 14th is still a go.

Rochelle

16 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

HAL doesn't sail in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

L.

While not popular, this is to be expected for cruises early in the restart.  It will be quite a while before a normal predictable pattern of cruising returns.  Those with bookings in 2021 or even early 2022 have to expect cancellations, itinerary changes and who knows what.

• Like 2