Koningsdam in San Diego Today

DavidsNana

I don't usually post here on the Holland America board but rather on Princess.  But I was down at the San Diego Harbor today and the Koningsdam was in port to have the 2nd covid 19 vaccination for the crew to be administered by one of our large health organizations.  They had a press conference with the Mayor, Head of the San Diego Tourist Board and the Port Commissioner.  They said that they were going to resume cruising out of San Diego in the fall.  Nice to see a ship in port again and anxious for them to restart cruising out of here.  It was quite a festive event today.

06-21-2021 Koningsdam San Diego 011.JPG

06-21-2021 Koningsdam San Diego 009.JPG

06-21-2021 Koningsdam San Diego 010.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures.  We’ll be boarding the Koningsdam for the first time in November for the Pacific Coastal cruise.  I’ll watch for the local media coverage.   I’m so glad San Diego is welcoming the ships again.  This is a big deal for the local economy!

New cruises from San Diego in September and October were announced.

Zuiderdam Saturdays starting September 18, 2021  (California Coast or Mexico) thru October 2021.

Koningsdam Sundays October 10, 2021 and October 17, 2021

David

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

I don't usually post here on the Holland America board but rather on Princess.  But I was down at the San Diego Harbor today and the Koningsdam was in port to have the 2nd covid 19 vaccination for the crew to be administered by one of our large health organizations.  They had a press conference with the Mayor, Head of the San Diego Tourist Board and the Port Commissioner.  They said that they were going to resume cruising out of San Diego in the fall.  Nice to see a ship in port again and anxious for them to restart cruising out of here.  It was quite a festive event today.

06-21-2021 Koningsdam San Diego 011.JPG

06-21-2021 Koningsdam San Diego 009.JPG

06-21-2021 Koningsdam San Diego 010.JPG

We are on the Koningsdam to Mexico in late October.  Even though we are fully vaccinated it is unlikely we will get off the ship in any of the ports (Cabo, Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta).  We are just excited about getting back to cruising.  An article in this morning's San Diego newspaper quoted HAL saying "While the ships will initially sail with lower capacity-about 50 percent-Holland America is still expecting a 30 percent increase in passengers by the end of the cruise season."  With the Koningsdam having a capacity of 2,650 passengers, it will be interesting to see how many are actually on board.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Great news!  We love sailing out of SD!

So do I!  Beautiful city and very easy to get to the airport and cruise port.

I'm booked on the Koningsdam 2-2-22 Hawaii/Mexico cruise and can't wait, love the ship!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, DavidsNana said:

They had a press conference with the Mayor, Head of the San Diego Tourist Board and the Port Commissioner.  

Holland America president Gus Antorcha was there as well, and spoke to the press. 

Thankyou so much for those pictures, especially of that lovely cruise ship

San Diego is one of our most favorite ports to cruise from.....love it there

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time on HAL Koningsdam next April to Hawaii from Vancouver B C.

Another quiet cruise ship season in Victoria and I am so hopeful next summer will see the ships back in port

• Like 1