Britannia test cruise

molecrochip

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

Kippers and Smoked Haddock are there in the "English Breakfast Favourites" section Barbara. I'm not a fan of Kippers but do enjoy Smoked Haddock with a Poached Egg...

I love smoked haddock, 'finney haddock' my mum called it. Unfortunately P&O cook it in milk, or used to, and I prefer it done in water.

Avril

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I love smoked haddock, 'finney haddock' my mum called it. Unfortunately P&O cook it in milk, or used to, and I prefer it done in water.

Avril

Have you not asked for it poached in water ? I would think it easy enough for them to do :classic_unsure:

Finney Haddock  Mmmm that takes me back :classic_love:

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Have you not asked for it poached in water ? I would think it easy enough for them to do :classic_unsure:

Finney Haddock  Mmmm that takes me back :classic_love:

As silly as it sounds, I'd not even thought to do that🙄 I will certainly ask......... next October☺️

Avril

• Like 2

17 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Yesterday, P&O ran their government mandated 'operational test cruise' on Britannia.

Attached are Horizon and the MDR breakfast menu to give you a flavour of some of the changes. Worth noting that entertainment was limited as the weather was awful and the ship did not leave the dock.

Scan_2021-06-22_1950.pdf 3.93 MB · 148 downloads Scan_2021-06-22_1953.pdf 671.82 kB · 125 downloads

Appreciate all the info you get to us 🙂

17 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Yesterday, P&O ran their government mandated 'operational test cruise' on Britannia.

Attached are Horizon and the MDR breakfast menu to give you a flavour of some of the changes. Worth noting that entertainment was limited as the weather was awful and the ship did not leave the dock.

Scan_2021-06-22_1950.pdf 3.93 MB · 148 downloads Scan_2021-06-22_1953.pdf 671.82 kB · 125 downloads

Appreciate all the info you get to us 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Scan_2021-06-22_1950.pdf 3.93 MB · 161 downloads Scan_2021-06-22_1953.pdf 671.82 kB · 139 downloads

Thanks for the info - How many were on this test cruise and were they invited guests

5 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Thanks for the info - How many were on this test cruise and were they invited guests

As this was an operational test, the cruise could not be sold commercially. P&O used staff members and their +1s. No more than 1,000 passengers on board.

11 hours ago, molecrochip said:

As this was an operational test, the cruise could not be sold commercially. P&O used staff members and their +1s. No more than 1,000 passengers on board.

Plus people who were paid via a survey site to test out the system and provide feedback.  I have read a good review by someone who was one of those lucky people.  I think I said their only negative was waiting 20 minutes for a drink in  the evening.  That was a niggle rather than a complaint. 
They said it all felt very safe, and the staff .  They had lunch at the buffet and were shown to seating, I guess to stop the aimless wandering trying to decide which of the identical tables you want to sit at, or is that just me?  From that comment you will gather I don’t usually attend the buffet during main meal times, so don’t usually encounter seating issues. 

12 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I guess to stop the aimless wandering trying to decide which of the identical tables you want to sit at, or is that just me?  

No not just you, when we eat the buffet for lunch (which is rare) my DW likes to wander around looking at each table in turn before deciding where to sit while I follow dutifully along behind.

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

No not just you, when we eat the buffet for lunch (which is rare) my DW likes to wander around looking at each table in turn before deciding where to sit while I follow dutifully along behind.

Snap! My husband could relate. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

We grab the first one we see!

6 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Does he circle and sniff each table before choosing 😉

Thanks for the information, we sail on Britannia two weeks today😎.

I have read the horizon but I cannot see where breakfast is served, we usually eat in the MDR, but am assuming it will be in the Horizon on deck 16 (unless as usual I am missing something)!!!!

Getting excited now😂.

Molly

2 hours ago, sagaris said:

Thanks for the information, we sail on Britannia two weeks today😎.

I have read the horizon but I cannot see where breakfast is served, we usually eat in the MDR, but am assuming it will be in the Horizon on deck 16 (unless as usual I am missing something)!!!!

Getting excited now😂.

Molly

Ummm, well sorry to say you have missed something 🤣

The breakfast menu was the MDR menu, a restaurant for breakfast doesn’t show on the Horizon as it was for embarkation day, so everyone on after breakfast 😉

so the good news is you should be able to get breakfast in the MDR, not sure what the booking protocol will be for breakfast. 

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

The breakfast menu was the MDR menu, a restaurant for breakfast doesn’t show on the Horizon as it was for embarkation day, so everyone on after breakfast 😉

so the good news is you should be able to get breakfast in the MDR, not sure what the booking protocol will be for breakfast. 

Virtual queue. Very efficient.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:24 AM, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Ahh, so that will be the soup base then for chowder?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Virtual queue. Very efficient.

Queues for everything then. Will be ok with small numbers on the ships, but I wonder how it will work once the ships are full - if same systems still in place.  Breakfast queues will be very difficult if going out in a port, particularly if on a trip starting at a specific time.

What happens to those without a fancy modern phone, so cannot use an "app"?

1 hour ago, tring said:

Queues for everything then. Will be ok with small numbers on the ships, but I wonder how it will work once the ships are full - if same systems still in place.  Breakfast queues will be very difficult if going out in a port, particularly if on a trip starting at a specific time.

What happens to those without a fancy modern phone, so cannot use an "app"?

For those that can’t, or chose not to use the app, there will be pop up desks onboard, or you can dial the “my holiday” number from your cabin phone.

I think the virtual queue system will actually be an enhancement for all future cruises, if it works.  I can’t count how many times we have got to the MDR at breakfast and found a queue longer than expected, so then tried to find a lift back up to 15, taken one look at the amount of people, and then either gone via Grab n go, or all the way back down to Java, 

I’m imagining you’ll be able to get in the queue for the MDR, and  depending on estimated wait, enjoy chilling on the balcony, or do a morning walk, rather than stand in the queue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

I can’t count how many times we have got to the MDR at breakfast and found a queue longer than expected, so then tried to find a lift back up to 15, taken one look at the amount of people, and then either gone via Grab n go, or all the way back down to Java, 

Thanks for the reply re lack of phone.

Tbh we have not done much on P&O in recent years, travelling more on Fred, whose ships have been running fine. The above is making me rather concerned as we have booked three cruises for winter 22/23 on P&O, one being a 28 nighter!  A sign of how big ships work (or not), I suppose.  Your post did make me think back to Oriana's Solar Eclipse though, when we often had to wait. 45 minutes stood in a queue for dinner in the MDR since the bleepers were only being used for people wanting tables for two.  Must admit that experience did mean that we started to ask for tables for two as the cruise progressed, so we too had the chance to be given a bleeper, rather than stand in that queue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

I knew it!! Thanks Pink-belle, I had not realised that the Horizon was for embarkation day😖

Edited by sagaris
spelling
  • Haha 1