Would you book an inside stateroom post-pandemic?

sydbarrett

This question is only for the people who would have actually booked an inside room PRE pandemic 🙂 Our next cruise is an inside room (not for a year out) and I see that they are still actively quarantining on ships - not sure what that will look like in a year's time. Would any of you still consider booking an inside room at this point? The price difference is so significant even with the FCC, I would probably be better off doing a land trip rather than upgrading to a verandah. This inside room is going to cost 800 more than our cancelled cruise and that was a verandah.

• Like 1

Yes, I would and I already have. 

It seems that those who test positive for COVID are moved to other quarters anyway, and close contacts who are tested are only quarantined for a short period in cabin. Assuming they are negative (based on early experience on the Millennium), they are released from quarantine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, I would and I already have. 

It seems that those who test positive for COVID are moved to other quarters anyway, and close contacts who are tested are only quarantined for a short period in cabin. Assuming they are negative (based on early experience on the Millennium), they are released from quarantine.

That is a huge relief, thank you! I'm terrified to be trapped in a tiny windowless room!

It actually wouldn't bother me unless we are talking about weeks on end. I wouldn't be happy to lose my vacation, but I certainly wouldn't be terrified. 

Maybe should've mentioned that this is for an Infinity Med cruise originally scheduled for 2020, move to 2021 and now moved to Fall 2022!

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It actually wouldn't bother me unless we are talking about weeks on end. I wouldn't be happy to lose my vacation, but I certainly wouldn't be terrified. 

Maybe should've mentioned that this is for an Infinity Med cruise originally scheduled for 2020, move to 2021 and now moved to Fall 2022!

Ha, mine is the same except July 2022. I should have mentioned I would be trapped in the room with a teenager. If I was alone with my kindle and a bottle of wine it would be no problem lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Same as Cruisemom,  booked and then shifted an inside cabin.  Will look at the Move Up offers if they happen.  Have had an experience of being ill and staying for a few days in an inside cabin which was not an issue except that it was in a Princess inside cabin which was much smaller with only on desk chair for two people.  Celebrity's insides are much nicer 🙂

• Like 1

I had the same question - I booked our very first Celebrity cruise on Apex Feb 2021 inside cabin just before pandemic shut down world.  We shifted it to Feb 2022 and I'm still a little leary of what might happen if outbreak on the ship, but when I checked the cost to move up to balcony, its a lot more, plus I'd lose a lot of the extra perks I had when I originally booked (upgraded beverages, OBC $300, spec dining).    I was hoping maybe I'd get a Move Up offer, but since I booked through Big Box store, I don't think I'm eligible.   So for now we will just keep what we have and keep an eye on what is going on in world.  I'm double vaccinated and raring to get back out in the world, but lots can happen between now and then.  🤞

We have been "insiders"  on 95%  of  our many cruises.  We were always happy with our accommodations. But, now, after reading about what happened to cruisers stuck on a ship endlessly, we will book balconies.  Sadly, at this time, the prices have skyrocketed. If we feel they are too high (as we do, looking at 2003 winter in the Caribbean), we will make alternate plans.

1 hour ago, skatie said:

I had the same question - I booked our very first Celebrity cruise on Apex Feb 2021 inside cabin just before pandemic shut down world.  We shifted it to Feb 2022 and I'm still a little leary of what might happen if outbreak on the ship, but when I checked the cost to move up to balcony, its a lot more, plus I'd lose a lot of the extra perks I had when I originally booked (upgraded beverages, OBC $300, spec dining).    I was hoping maybe I'd get a Move Up offer, but since I booked through Big Box store, I don't think I'm eligible.   So for now we will just keep what we have and keep an eye on what is going on in world.  I'm double vaccinated and raring to get back out in the world, but lots can happen between now and then.  🤞

It doesn’t work very often, but you can go to guest relations after boarding and ask. Never hurts!

• Like 1

We will sail inside in a couple of weeks.

We sail inside most of the time. Only 10 cruises were with balconies. We are OK with it

Edited by Tatka

I have a different philosophy on booking cabins that many others...

Pre-pandemic, it was always to look first at the fare differentials...I would PREFER a balcony, but, if the difference in price dropping to an OV was substantial (and that number could differ for everyone), I might drop to an OV...If Insides were going for an absolute bargain...like I could save a substantial amount dropping to that and it became a cheap getaway cruise, then, what the heck--just get me on the ship...After all, I can go an entire cruise just using the cabin to sleep and change clothes.

OTOH, if I got a great deal on, say, a Concierge cabin--AND OFTEN HAVE--where it, basically, costs about the same as a 2D, then we'd move up...and, if I find an exceptional deal on a suite...Well, let's do it!

The result is that, on 60 cruises, I've cruised in everything from inside cabins to suites...(though just a few insides and a few suites and mostly balconies) ...and, you know what?  I have enjoyed EVERY one...

Post-pandemic?  My attitude really hasn't changed...We are fully vaccinated and not all that afraid of Covid.  We have four upcoming cruises--the first two in Sky Suites, the next two in standard balconies.  Why?  Because we got a sensational deal on the Sky Suites and the balconies were the best value on the next two (savings dropping to an OV or Inside would not have amounted to more than 20% of the total price.

Of course, as always, we'll monitor fares carefully...and, if prices drop and we can move up, we will.  Not because of fear of quarantine, but rather because it makes sense.

• Like 2

Our very first cruise was in 2003, in an inside cabin, never again, to dark and confined for us. We normally book balconys but the last four cruises were in suites. Nothing planned or even looking, we buy on value to us, and there currently are fall inside or requirements. We've done 47 cruises so we can't be too picky.

We look for the best 'bang for the buck' since we try to limit our time inside the cabin.

For years this was a balcony and with our cruising status we would get benefits like shining our shoes, washing our clothes, etc.

However, we did once get an amazing deal on an inside cabin which was an 'inside/inside' cabin, meaning it had very little foot traffic. This turned out to be very pleasant as there was no ship noises when docking, no drunk guest stumbling, etc. We would get this type of 'inside/inside' cabin again at the right price point for overall value.

I’ve only done insides twice (I’m just not a big fan). In the past, I would at least look at inside pricing, but the thought of being quarantined in one of them has turned them into an absolute deal breaker. 

I’ll still consider an OV though. I need my sunlight and ability to see what’s going on outside. I will select them if the price difference between OV and BL is substantial, but recently I’ve noticed that the difference between these two has become minimal. 

Edited by Tapi

No, no, no.  I have booked an inside in the past, so perhaps I am pushing a bit on the pre-requisite that before Covid I would book an inside.  But definitely not after Covid (and honestly, norovirus also would concern me as even 3+ days in an inside cabin unable to leave is something to consider).

I understand about moving positive people down to 2 anyway, but what if there are a lot of people that need to be quarantined.  You could end up stuck in your cabin if the quarantine cabins are filled up.  

Yes! Prefer a balcony and have one on the Apex in March. However, Carnival yesterday offered me an inside cabin on their newest ship Panorama for a week to Mexican Riviera in late Augist for $669 total for my wife and I. $200 each plus tax and port charges. Haven't sailed Carnival in years but I grabbed it yesterday as fast as I could type. By the end of the evening yesterday  it was $1549.  Some said it was a pricing error but Im booked and don't care if it's an inside cabin. 

We began cruising with inside cabins.  Then moved up to OV, then to veranda which included AQ and Concierge, then to a few sunset aft views.  We tried to go back to an inside and realized nope, nope nope.  Never again.

But that's a personal choice since we're no longer motivated by saving money. As we age and our portfolios have done so well over the years, we've gotten accustomed to the creature comforts and benefits in the higher categories.

We've just elevated to suites for our future cruises. I fear, as I've heard from others, we won't be able to go back to non-suites. 

My feeling is if it's a budget thing and you don't spend much time in your cabin, then an inside should serve you well.  After all, a day in an inside is better than no day on the ship.

We have been on about 40 cruises in everything from an inside on deck 2 to a suite in no particular order. Would book an inside no problem, depends on price and literary. We do not plan on cruising again until next year however  

No.  Didn’t book one before.   I like sitting on the balcony anytime during the cruise.  At night I can sit out there looking at the stars, reading on my Ipad,  and  falling asleep.   In the morning get a pot of coffee from room service  and sit there enjoying the morn before going to breakfast 

In the evening sit there enjoying a drink before dinner and or watching the ship  sail away from the port, or sit there during the day with a drink and have a great and peaceful  seat watching the world go by.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 6/23/2021 at 5:57 AM, sydbarrett said:

That is a huge relief, thank you! I'm terrified to be trapped in a tiny windowless room!

Hmmm, the quarantine deck on Millennium is deck 2 I believe.  The quarantine room could be an inside room.   People who booked suites will be moved to a smaller room (maybe windowless) on deck 2 if they are tested positive.

• Like 1