Parring down toiletries

lhsail

We took a two week trip recently and frankly my toiletry bag was way too heavy. I have travel sizes of most everything and I like to travel with my “stuff” for hair, makeup, skincare, etc.  We are cruising for two weeks in August and I really want to par things down. Any bright ideas for combo products, lightweight containers, etc?  And please, don’t say “you’re on vacation don’t wear makeup”. One of the things I still love about cruising is dressing up a bit in the evenings and feeling special. At 65 that takes some camouflage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK.  I won't tell you that.  But, it's what I do... 😉

See if you can decant any of your stuff into smaller containers (like Go Toobs and other similar things).  See if any of your solid stuff comes in a travel size (look at Sephora, Ulta).  Take a critical eye to what you want to take:  do you really need that big 24-color palette when you will only use 3 of them?  what could you use instead or could you buy singles of those?  Do you need moisturizer, foundation, and etc.?  Would a tinted moisturizer do?  Do you need that big can of aerosol hairspray when a little bottle of pump spray would work?  2 little bottles of shampoo is easier to pack than 1 big bottle.  If you stand fragrance, get one of those travel-size deordorants (I need smell-free, and I have yet to find a travel size).  

I'm 67 and I don't camouflauge.  Moisturizer and some brow liner (I've still not had my brows grow back in post-COVID) is daily routine.  If I "gussy up", add an eyeliner and a tinted moisturizer (my current one is Urban Decay "Stay Naked Hydromaniac").  I'm a no muss, no fuss girl.  

• Like 3

Travel sizes can still have way more than what you actually need for two weeks, especially in some skin care products where you use a pea sized bit of cream etc. Try decanting such products into contact lens cases, the kind that have screw on tops. They are water tight, small and light. If you have them lying around, you can test capacity for getting through 2 weeks. Also, you could purchase sample size containers for cosmetics, like 5g, I saw several available from discount stores and online in various quantities. Labeling could be a challenge...

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Travel sizes can still have way more than what you actually need for two weeks, especially in some skin care products where you use a pea sized bit of cream etc. Try decanting such products into contact lens cases, the kind that have screw on tops. They are water tight, small and light. If you have them lying around, you can test capacity for getting through 2 weeks. Also, you could purchase sample size containers for cosmetics, like 5g, I saw several available from discount stores and online in various quantities. Labeling could be a challenge...

Thank you. I definitely have some contact lens cases around and extra labels from other travel bottle kits I have purchased. 

• Like 2

I don't take anything that is provided - so no shampoo/conditioner moisturizer. I carry suntan lotion, deodorant,  toothpaste, cream which removes my beard, and 1 lipstick,  and a all in one thin lizzy  powder which hides some of the red lines on my face. I don't bother with eye shadow because I wear glasses  And make up remover towelettes.  It doesn't take up much space 

Fly into departure port few days early and buy toiletries, sunscreen etc from local supermarket.

Sample size make up from department stores offer 7-10 days supply of foundation..one usual colour another slightly bronzed.

Tinted moisturiser quite useful for day dear..not so good for pillowcases.

Gift sizes from make up departments for Mascara, lipstick etc

Supermarket travel sized brands.

Buy travel size containers and decant your favourite versions.

Always take heavy duty conditioner and don’t rely on cruiseline mixture of shampoo and conditioner.

Try shampoo and conditioner bars to avoid bottles

Always take Ziplock bags.

• Like 3

Hi Reina, not everyone has the opportunity to fly to their port "a few days early" before sailing. 

Some folks may be able to but many people still work and don't always get those extra days off.

I know when I was working, I would take an extra day but that is about it. 

As for shampoos/conditioners, to the OP......we all have our views on those products. I use the cruise line offerings so I don't bring my own any more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Reina, not everyone has the opportunity to fly to their port "a few days early" before sailing. 

Some folks may be able to but many people still work and don't always get those extra days off.

I know when I was working, I would take an extra day but that is about it. 

As for shampoos/conditioners, to the OP......we all have our views on those products. I use the cruise line offerings so I don't bring my own any more. 

Yes, this time we are sailing from St. Maarten so not sure what I’ll be able to pick up there. Certainly won’t take sunscreen. 

My hair is colored and I find the shampoo and conditioner offered by the cruise lines are usually too harsh. But, I’m going to be a lot more conscientious of the quantity of some of the things I need. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lhsail said:

Yes, this time we are sailing from St. Maarten so not sure what I’ll be able to pick up there. Certainly won’t take sunscreen. 

My hair is colored and I find the shampoo and conditioner offered by the cruise lines are usually too harsh. But, I’m going to be a lot more conscientious of the quantity of some of the things I need. 

St M Supermarket - Close to town centre and cruise port

https://www.facebook.com/fairwaymarkitsxm/

55 minutes ago, lhsail said:

Gotcha🙂....the only colors in my hair are silver and black😉.....I don't color it. 

Actually, I love what is offered🙂.....it is Bulgari....not a harsh scent......

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of different hair and skin products. I probably take at least 5 each of hair and skin, plus all the other stuff. I decant them into nalgene containers and contact lens cases. Then I make labels for each one.

The nalgene containers do not leak at all. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-341013-NALGE-TRAVEL-KIT/dp/B00076RC0S/ref=asc_df_B00076RC0S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151447010&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16449014518335448987&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021546&hvtargid=pla-314517616309&psc=1

If I am using a non-nalgene container, say a sample size of a liquid, I cover with a small piece of saran wrap and put the cap over the saran wrap. Absolutely no leaks.

It's fairly compact now--I've reduced it as much as possible.

For OTC meds (ibuprofen, decongestant, Lotrimin, etc) I use these tiny little zip lock bags and label them, then put in a small cosmetic type bag. I keep one of these kits in my car console too.

https://www.amazon.com/200PCS-Plastic-Resealable-Necklace-Jewelry/dp/B08P393ZJC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=mini+ziplock+bags&qid=1625671251&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBMTVST0dJVjk3UEMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMzQwOTBMOUlORUtRMUtDVVEmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDUxNzYwMjNLSU0wRzVJM1pWVFQmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

I have a lot of different hair and skin products. I probably take at least 5 each of hair and skin, plus all the other stuff. I decant them into nalgene containers and contact lens cases. Then I make labels for each one.

The nalgene containers do not leak at all. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-341013-NALGE-TRAVEL-KIT/dp/B00076RC0S/ref=asc_df_B00076RC0S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167151447010&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16449014518335448987&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021546&hvtargid=pla-314517616309&psc=1

If I am using a non-nalgene container, say a sample size of a liquid, I cover with a small piece of saran wrap and put the cap over the saran wrap. Absolutely no leaks.

It's fairly compact now--I've reduced it as much as possible.

For OTC meds (ibuprofen, decongestant, Lotrimin, etc) I use these tiny little zip lock bags and label them, then put in a small cosmetic type bag. I keep one of these kits in my car console too.

https://www.amazon.com/200PCS-Plastic-Resealable-Necklace-Jewelry/dp/B08P393ZJC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=mini+ziplock+bags&qid=1625671251&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBMTVST0dJVjk3UEMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMzQwOTBMOUlORUtRMUtDVVEmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDUxNzYwMjNLSU0wRzVJM1pWVFQmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Thank you for the suggestions. I do think the key for me is using smaller containers. I usually take more of each product than I need and it all adds up. My favorite foundation comes in a heavy bottle and the design of the bottle makes it almost impossible to transfer the product to another container. Guess I need to find a new favorite foundation. 

• 2 weeks later...

I take some of the tiny sample “free gift” cosmetics when traveling like the Estée Lauder  1/4 ounce night repair, etc. I also have found travel combos at the duty free shops that have eye shadow, blush, lipstick all in one. You won’t have lots of color choices but it takes up less room. 

• 2 weeks later...

For cruising, you may wish to check out bar shampoos and conditioners. There are several good brands findable on Amazon, for research.  Ethique is one of the more intriguing ones, for their pack-friendly sizes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noami said:

For cruising, you may wish to check out bar shampoos and conditioners. There are several good brands findable on Amazon, for research.  Ethique is one of the more intriguing ones, for their pack-friendly sizes.

Also, Lush cosmetics has some excellent solid shampoos and conditioners.  They are what I use when I travel, been doing that since 1998.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, Anita Latte said:

i have used the contact-lens-case idea many times - works well. For labeling, I fond a Sharpie usually works, If not you can affix a piece of transparent or masking tape to the container; you can write on the tape with the sharpie.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you don't wear contacts, you can find the cases cheap at discount stores such as Big Lots. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

During Covid, I quit wearing foundation and discovered a tinted sunscreen. My face no longer breaks out, my fair skin is better protected and it looks just as good. One less bottle in my bag too. I find small makeup sets for travel at duty free shops which puts less in the bag. 

• Like 4

My #1 rule for 3-1-1 bag is -- nothing that is NOT liquid or paste, goes in it. I have a second "dry" bag or a gallon bag that I share with my husband's things. 

Second, what someone said above: the 3oz/100ml is an UPPER limit, not a requirement. I have gotoobs or the other brand in 1 and 2oz sizes and a box full of 3oz containers I no longer use! I have several small (not as small as contact-lens cases) containers for things I do not need even 1 oz of, like A&D cream and heavyduty hand balm for sebhorrea outbreaks. 

I use empty lip gloss containers!  They have a cap that snaps on and a cap that screws on tight and work perfectly for everything from face cream to heat protectant for my hair to even cream deodorant (I use Lume). At the end of my trips they're usually pretty empty and I just pitch them.

https://www.amazon.com/Rolybag-Containers-Dispensing,-Cosmetics-Toiletries/dp/B07YHY8474/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3SLVWBL7PQFVN&keywords=lip+gloss+containers&qid=1663105786&sprefix=lip+gloss+containers%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-3

Edited by JustPlainAli
  • Like 1

Travel sizes can still have way more than what you actually need for two weeks, especially in some skin care products where you use a pea sized bit of cream etc. Try decanting such products into contact lens cases, the kind that have screw on tops ... 

Yes, travel sizes are enough for a week or two.  

Clinique has small containers similar to contact cases, and they'll give you a small sample.  

On 6/28/2021 at 8:23 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Fly into departure port few days early and buy toiletries, sunscreen etc from local supermarket.

Gift sizes from make up departments for Mascara, lipstick etc

Another option to make flying easier:  Package up your toiletries and mail them to your night-before hotel.  

I was going to suggest those tiny samples of make-up.  

Other ideas: 

- Take your old, almost-used up make-up and discard it at the end of the trip.  Doesn't help with getting to the cruise, but it helps with packing for the return trip. 

- I know you don't want to hear "less make-up", but when I have fresh sun on my face, I tend to wear just tinted moisturizer and eye makeup. 

- Give up the idea of having a world of eyeshadows, etc. at your disposal -- take just your favorites colors.  

- I just bought a travel toothbrush at Target (in the mini-toiletries section) that I absolutely love.  It folds up into its handle and is actually comfortable to use.  99 cents too!  

- I was on Explorer last week, and I found the all-in-one shower product to be great for skin but too rough for hair.  Oh, sure, it cleaned great, but it left my hair super-rough.  I re-washed with my own shampoo /conditioner.  

- I like shampoo bars, etc. just fine, but I don't think they're going to save you any space over a travel-sized bottle.

- Count out what you really need; for example, I counted out Q tips and flossers for my cruise last week.  No need to take a whole handful.  

- Consider a wash-and-wear haircut before the cruise so you don't need many hair products.  Consider, too, hair ties, hair bands or hats that'll make fixing your hair quick and easy.  

- Use the hair dryer provided by the ship.  Even if it's not as good as your own hair dryer, it's a pretty bulky item to bring.  

- I don't take much jewelry on a cruise -- last week I wore just a simple diamond pendant necklace and silver/gold hoops.  Simple matches everything.  

- Last thought:  If your toiletries and make-up are a priority, take them -- but cut back on something else.  Leave a pair of shoes behind.  

• Like 3

Good morning, Mum2Mercury, I have a question because I am really confused. I have never heard of doing this before and wondering about sending your toiletries to your pre-cruise hotel ahead of time? So you need to have the street address of your hotel  and you need to make sure someone at the hotel will receive your package and hold it until you arrive? Sorry, this just makes no sense to me at all. 

Maybe I am missing something? 

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Mum2Mercury, I have a question because I am really confused. I have never heard of doing this before and wondering about sending your toiletries to your pre-cruise hotel ahead of time? So you need to have the street address of your hotel  and you need to make sure someone at the hotel will receive your package and hold it until you arrive? Sorry, this just makes no sense to me at all. 

You can use Amazon locker if you are purchasing or you can simply mail to the hotel.  I do like @Mum2Mercury list.   I will only add if you do like premium brands the cruise ship prices are usually just as good or better than department store prices.  If I know I am low on foundation, powder and lipstick I may buy it onboard.  Of course now you have the issue of carrying it home. 

I have pared down my makeup over the years keeping it very simple - sunscreen moisturizer, foundation, concealer, smudge stick for eyes and lipstick.  My hair is the issue as it is wild and long.  I bring a good hair oil to tame it.  Hair oil is usually packaged in a small vial as it is.  With the oil I can then use the ship’s shampoo.  I usually bring a couple of packs of hair masque for when I am at my wits end.  A package of hair masque is good for 2 washings of long hair. My dentists usually provides me with as many trial tubes of toothpaste as I want. 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Here's an example:   

When we did our month-long Western national parks road trip, we flew to Las Vegas, where we rented a car.  As always, we flew with only carry-ons -- so toiletries were a problem.  We also wanted to pack two kitchen knives (because we had sandwiches out of a cooler every day for lunch) and my husband couldn't do without his pocket knife.  So I packaged up our toiletries, the knives, and a couple other things we wanted for the trip /didn't want to carry, and I mailed a package to myself (at the hotel's address) two weeks before the trip.  I packaged everything in ziplocks in case of spills, and I labeled it HOLD FOR GUEST's JULY 1st ARRIVAL.  When we arrived, the package was waiting for us -- I just asked for my package, and the hotel reception staff brought it out of the back room -- and, most of all, we'd breezed through the airport with zero liquids.  

Yes, you'd need to know the street address of your night-before hotel, and you'd need to call ahead to verify that they accept/hold packages for guests.  

This, of course, was before you could order things and having them gathered up /waiting for you at a Walmart or drug store.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2