Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

Thank you all for your helpful information, as well as commiseration. 

I'm really at the point where I might never take another Princess cruise again because of this !#@%$@#$@#$ Medallion thing. The number of times that I get error messages is insane. Even the web version is going nuts. Today's issue was that it wouldn't recognize any credit card that expires in 2023 as valid beyond the date of sailing (next week). It consistently fails to save information or signs me in an out. Making dinner reservations was a nightmare. Overall, it's a bad solution in search of a problem.

We've been on 20+ Princess cruises and I've never experienced this level of frustration four days before boarding.

In any case, thank you for letting me vent.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mef623 said:

I'm really at the point where I might never take another Princess cruise again because of this !#@%$@#$@#$ Medallion thing. The number of times that I get error messages is insane. Even the web version is going nuts. Today's issue was that it wouldn't recognize any credit card that expires in 2023 as valid beyond the date of sailing (next week). It consistently fails to save information or signs me in an out. Making dinner reservations was a nightmare. Overall, it's a bad solution in search of a problem.

We've been on 20+ Princess cruises and I've never experienced this level of frustration four days before boarding.

Mike

Huh... I'm gonna have a look at my upcoming cruises just for the fun of it!!

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's a COOKBOOK!!!

I had to look it up.  I don't have any lasting memories of whatever episodes I saw.  Now I wonder if that episode was an inspiration for the Charlton Heston movie, Soylent Green.  Anyway, I suppose we could discuss the new PCL menu items now?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mef623 said:

Mike

So ignore it. Take your documentation to the port and they will handle it for you.Not worth getting in a stew about.

4 hours ago, mef623 said:

Despite all of the problems I continue having with it, I think the corker actually came a couple of days ago when I was talking with our TA (non-PVP) about booking our next Princess cruise.  He saw our cruise history, and then actually asked, "what the heck is going on with this MedallionClass App thing anyway?  We've got a Princess cruise booked next month and I've never had the kinds of problems getting ready as I've had with that app!"  He's asking me?!!!  I just had to shake my head and assured him that he could just take all of their documentation with them and get onboard despite the problems with the app.  

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I feel like a weirdo. The app pretty much just works for me. 🤪

Me too.  I feel bad for every that’s had/having problems.  The only glitch for me this cruise has been when booking specialty dining, it showed my Premier credit, but only applied 1 credit when I booked.  I figured out it was a timing issue, as I had cancelled a couple of reservations, and there was some delay before it could apply the credit.

I was having a “problem” with the Personalizer.  I was not seeing my shareholder OBC applied.  Figured they hadn’t done it.  Then my wife said she could see the SOBC, but she didn’t see the other credits / packages.  I could see everything else, but no SOBC.  “Damn Princess!” I thought.   Then I realized she was looking in one section I wasn’t (credits and payments), and I was looking in a section she didn’t know about.  Everything worked properly except the users.

The app was going to incorrectly charge me for medallion delivery, but we just checked off “pickup”, and everything else is good.

• Like 1

Just a thought but I wonder if the problems with the Medallion app are to do with android/IOS operating system versions and/or Medallion app versions.

I have the latest version of android (13) with all updates applied and version 3.0.107232 of the Medallion app and do not have any problems with it.

I also have android and have no problems. For those stuck on the fruit I suggest you clear your cache memory each time before using the app. 

I'm involved in the rowing community in SA and there are a number of websites that work perfectly for android, but cannot be updated when using ios without either clearing the cache memory or restarting the phone

• Like 1

I'm very happy for you all who don't have issues with the app!  Mine seem to stem from corrupt data in our POLAR profile that existed long before the app was even being considered.  I will take this moment to say that I AM seeing some improvements - at the very least DH doppelgangers have gone from 11 to six, so there's that.  🥴

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kamelia said:

I'm very happy for you all who don't have issues with the app!  Mine seem to stem from corrupt data in our POLAR profile that existed long before the app was even being considered.  I will take this moment to say that I AM seeing some improvements - at the very least DH doppelgangers have gone from 11 to six, so there's that.  🥴

Initially I also had bad data conversion issues. I sent a note to the Medallion folks and they responded by asking me to provide the following information:

Full Name on Reservation:

Booking Number:

Device Type being used when accessing the MedallionClass app:

Operating System on Device:

I responded with the requested info and, after a short time, things worked for me. That was back in June of 2021. I have had a couple of very minor glitches since then but they have all sorted themselves out pretty quickly.

• Thanks 1

Wow. Wow. Wow.

This is a truly horrid check-in experience. I am going through the OCEANREADY part of the Princess MedallionClass app for Android.

One could not accidentally come up with a smart phone app this bad. Plain old incompetency could not produce this. This application was clearly written by a group of evil geniuses who are skilled in the dark arts of user-hostile software development. It's as if Darth Sidious were the project lead software developer.

Emperor_RotJ.png.0335740ab2ed8d86050276efc9d233b6.png

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your feeble programming skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side."

Firstly, I spent about 30 minutes figuring out that this app is never going to run on my Pixel 6A. Anytime I get into "Oceanready" we just get the spinning "Loading" display. It never makes it past that.

Next, I installed the app on my Samsung tablet, also running Android 13. For some reason, the app likes Samsung, but not Pixel 6A. 

Now that we are on the Samsung tablet, I find that every screen change takes 40 or more seconds. I spend about 30 minutes getting the passport info entered for the two of us. This takes less than 5 minutes doing check-in for my Cunard QM2 cruise on their web interface. Why does Princess insist on using a phone app for check-in?

I'm presently stuck on ordering the Medallion wearable. It takes about 2 minutes to update the screen every time I click on a button. After about 25 minutes of trying, I thought I finished ordering the Medallions. But the app still indicates I need to "Chose you Medallion wearable". I don't see a way to confirm if the original order was successful.

The thing that really amazes me here is that there over 5140 posts in "Ocean Medallion App - Part 3". Clearly Princess has had many years opportunity to fix this. Clearly, they don't care. The app home screen says "Your dream vacation starts in 59 days . . ."  Using this app is a nightmare. I certainly hope this app is not a preview of coming attractions.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thrak said:

I feel like a weirdo. The app pretty much just works for me. 🤪

Me too.  I have done 3 cruises with it now and I find it works for me and my family too.  Now, they have not been B2B cruises so maybe that makes a difference.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Read upthread for recommendations on how to use the Princess web version, including screen shots how to access it.

Thanks - I finally found it. See screen capture.

Next problem is figuring out how to get rid of the "Incomplete" arrival status. I think it has to do with ordering the Medallions. It will not let me order anything except lanyards. Probably because my 1st order is in limbo - the Android app locked up while ordering them the first time. 

PrincessTryourwebversion.thumb.png.b4ce73f4cc003a9050b8dee285d800bd.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

Next problem is figuring out how to get rid of the "Incomplete" arrival status. I think it has to do with ordering the Medallions. It will not let me order anything except lanyards. Probably because my 1st order is in limbo - the Android app locked up while ordering them the first time. 

Not really a big deal unless you are trying to order a custom medallion. The regular accessories - necklace, wrist band, etc. can be purchased onboard.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

The problem may not be on your end.  All of my upcoming cruises have gone from Green Lane to Incomplete in the past couple of days.

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:40 PM, Mercruiser said:

Wow. Wow. Wow.

This is a truly horrid check-in experience. I am going through the OCEANREADY part of the Princess MedallionClass app for Android.

One could not accidentally come up with a smart phone app this bad. Plain old incompetency could not produce this. This application was clearly written by a group of evil geniuses who are skilled in the dark arts of user-hostile software development. It's as if Darth Sidious were the project lead software developer.

Emperor_RotJ.png.0335740ab2ed8d86050276efc9d233b6.png

"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your feeble programming skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side."

Firstly, I spent about 30 minutes figuring out that this app is never going to run on my Pixel 6A. Anytime I get into "Oceanready" we just get the spinning "Loading" display. It never makes it past that.

Next, I installed the app on my Samsung tablet, also running Android 13. For some reason, the app likes Samsung, but not Pixel 6A. 

Now that we are on the Samsung tablet, I find that every screen change takes 40 or more seconds. I spend about 30 minutes getting the passport info entered for the two of us. This takes less than 5 minutes doing check-in for my Cunard QM2 cruise on their web interface. Why does Princess insist on using a phone app for check-in?

I'm presently stuck on ordering the Medallion wearable. It takes about 2 minutes to update the screen every time I click on a button. After about 25 minutes of trying, I thought I finished ordering the Medallions. But the app still indicates I need to "Chose you Medallion wearable". I don't see a way to confirm if the original order was successful.

The thing that really amazes me here is that there over 5140 posts in "Ocean Medallion App - Part 3". Clearly Princess has had many years opportunity to fix this. Clearly, they don't care. The app home screen says "Your dream vacation starts in 59 days . . ."  Using this app is a nightmare. I certainly hope this app is not a preview of coming attractions.

You got it right!  Medallion is a totally needless disaster.  Princess does not care.  Too bad, they'll lose market share ... who wants to pay good money to be tortured for weeks and months?  Who wants to diddle with a screwed-up app when there's no rational reason to use it, it's just 'required'.  Royal Princess can't even set up a buffet properly.  Took our first and last Princess cruise last December; I can't believe anyone would ever cruise with them more than once.  

Edited by jsn55
thought
  • Like 1

BRAVO to USPS for actually delivering the precious cargo as scheduled. It actually took longer for the delivery company to get it to USPS than it took USPS to bring it to my doorstep. As you can see by the packaging, everybody and their brother knows your business that you're cruising soon. Jealousy abounds by those left behind. Twelve (12) days and counting!!!  Time to pull out the suitcases.  YAHOO!!!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.4fe23b3e8864a0b4a0e84ffa39eb85d5.jpeg

• Like 2

Talk about weird. Have used the app inn 4 cruises with no problem. For my next cruise my travel summary shows plus package. When I log onto the app on my iPhone 14 it shows no package. When I log on to my wife’s iPad it shows the package. Gawd only knows what will show up on board

On 4/11/2023 at 7:25 PM, LawDog61 said:

Ocean ready will not accept my credit card.  It’s a Costco visa and keeps saying invalid # ( it works fine everywhere else).  I have tired it several times over the last few weeks, same result.  Any ideas?

Me too! I tried entering the numbers by hand, by copy and paste, by Google, on the app, on the PC....nothing works! The card doesn't expire for a few years and is active and working. I think it's a glitch because it's a card that I had put in through the app, then removed, then tried to put it back in. So for now I have to use a different card to book specialty dining. It better get fixed before final payment time in September because this is the card that gives me travel protection! If not, I'll have to cancel.