Power driven....how much can we have?

Kevinwinston2019

2 minutes ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

Okay just want to know what you recommend for a power strip in the room on a Sunset Veranda room on the Solstice class ship? Is there something on Amazon which I can get before my cruise? 

charge.jpg

He better not go to the MDR looking like that 

• Haha 1

We've used this one for several years. We've been on several cruises with it and never had an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/TESSAN-Portable-Charging-Station-Cord-BLACK/dp/B01H4YTH6W/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Power+strip&qid=1624985290&refinements=p_36%3A-1300&rnid=386442011&sr=8-10

I don't understand all the electrical issues but from my reading it's the surge protection feature that can cause problems.

What do you need it for? USB charging? Get a USB charging block. Recommendations depend on what you're charging via USB, since you could need USB A, A USB C fast charger, or a USB C PD charger. Anything else, maybe something without a cord and without surge protection. But the best answer is "nothing".

There are two issues. Terrestrial surge protection doesn't work with a floating ground (where's @chengkp75 when I need him!) and creates a fire hazard on it's own. AND, most people pay no attention to the load limits on either the socket or the power strip. Which creates a fire hazard as well.

Celebrity ship SRS also have an EU outlet plug, so I bring a EU-to-US adapter so I have another outlet to use. I posted this on an earlier thread and forgot to check the home of the OP which was the UK and I should have said ‘EU-to-UK’ plug! 

But I always carry one or two adapters that do that. 

Den

2 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

CPAP machine and an oxygen generator are two items I need electric for.. not to mention charging phone

Won’t Celebrity take care of those for you?  It may be the sane crappy power strip you’d have brought anyway, but they support those. Not the chargers, but the medical devices. 

Asking what the OP needs power for. 

1 minute ago, rucrazy said:

I don't know this is our first time bringing both..; I guess a call to guest services is in order

Start there. I seem to recall an email address for this. Extension cords, distilled water, etc. And as an off topic FYI, Phillips has recalled and issued a “do not use” on most of its CPAPs!

29 minutes ago, markeb said:

Start there. I seem to recall an email address for this. Extension cords, distilled water, etc. And as an off topic FYI, Phillips has recalled and issued a “do not use” on most of its CPAPs!

https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs/medical-needs

I brought my CPAP last time and our cabin steward setup an extension cord for us, and got us distilled water for the tank.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, markeb said:

Start there

Just got off the phone with Special Needs department... they were most helpful.. supplying two extension cords and a power strip! Can't ask for more than that...

• Like 7

4 hours ago, lostchild said:

I thought you are not allow to take any power strip onboard.   I remember it was one of the banned item.   I think if they found it, they will hold on to it until you disembark.  

I check out the 'naughty' table when leaving the ship down by customs.  You will see confiscated items which have included power strips, irons, steamers, coffee makers,  hot plates, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From Celebrity's website, examples of items not allowed to be brought on the ship.    I have seen power strips being confiscated upon embarkation (they will return most confiscated items to you upon disembarkation on the last day):

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • **Aerial Drones
  • Candles & Incense
  • ***Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • ****Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
  • Potentially hazardous food and/or food that requires refrigeration. 

Celebrity will provide both extension cords as well as power strips if requested.   I often get an extension cord so I can sit on the sofa in our suite an plug my laptop in.  

Wow, an Mixed answers. Jim, what kind of extension cord did Celebrity give you. Would it be better to get one of those adapters for the Europe outlets? 

Mosttoyswin, I used to have one of those outlets and they seem to work for us very well. Are they not suppose to be used? 

On 6/29/2021 at 5:40 PM, keesar said:

I check out the 'naughty' table when leaving the ship down by customs.  You will see confiscated items which have included power strips, irons, steamers, coffee makers,  hot plates, etc.  

There are a few of us who want to be in the naughty room to see all the confiscated items at boarding... LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, rucrazy said:

CPAP machine and an oxygen generator are two items I need electric for.. not to mention charging phone

Special needs will arrange to put an extension cord, tape to secure the cord to the ground, distilled water, and a foam wedge if you need to sleep with head of the bed elevated. Just fill out and submit the form prior to your cruise and they will appear in your room on embarkation day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

Wow, an Mixed answers. Jim, what kind of extension cord did Celebrity give you. Would it be better to get one of those adapters for the Europe outlets? 

Mosttoyswin, I used to have one of those outlets and they seem to work for us very well. Are they not suppose to be used? 

The one I listed is one we use all the time on cruises and works quite well for us. We have labeled it “for cruises not surge protected”.  
I was just trying to note that if this one did not fit their  needs,  make sure whatever they buy is not surge protected.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:46 AM, Kevinwinston2019 said:

When requested they ask if I want a Eu one or a U.S. one.  They also offered me a power strip  

I also bought a EU adapter (not transformer so make sure your device has dual current) and U.S. ones with multiple ports.  

image.png.374ae19267240ae0cff2718b4c5ab937.pngimage.png.8040479cc84b960bb19bc237be2f8dc1.png

On 7/6/2021 at 8:53 AM, Bo1953 said:

There are a few of us who want to be in the naughty room to see all the confiscated items at boarding... LOL

bon voyage

Your a rebel Bo.     Somehow I have never had to visit the naughty room but often get a TSA note that they opened my bag due to all my cables and stuff.

• Haha 2