Cruise Check In

On 7/11/2021 at 5:39 PM, Midway7934 said:

I have a vaccination card, a passport, an old flip phone, a husband who is blind, we are 74 and booked on the Anthem in Star class with a genie. This cruise (after 3 being cancelled) will put us in Diamond class. We have been married 50 years and have been well taken care of on every enjoyable cruise. How complicated can it now be to get on a cruise ship and enjoy a cruise without all this technology???  You "KIDS" have me worried! PS  We also have had a wonderful travel agent for our entire marriage.

I think RCI will accommodate you very well.  I have a saying "APPS my a**".  Too many folks walking around with phones in their hands looking down.  Congrats on 50 years of marriage.

Oh and the genie will take good care of you too from what I have heard.   Love the Anthem of the Seas too.  You will have to do the Odyssey next.  

toodles

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:52 AM, BND said:

Someone always says that, but in reality, how many people are we talking about like that, that cruise?  My parents are 83 and have both.  My MIL, on the other hand doesn't, but she's too disabled to even think about cruising.  I can't think of anyone else I know that doesn't have either or both.  

DH & I are holding the line against smart phones.  We do have a laptop and I have always signed in for our cruises w/o any problem.   All vaccinated and looking forward to our cruise in January.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I think RCI will accommodate you very well.  I have a saying "APPS my a**".  Too many folks walking around with phones in their hands looking down.  Congrats on 50 years of marriage.

Oh and the genie will take good care of you too from what I have heard.   Love the Anthem of the Seas too.  You will have to do the Odyssey next.  

toodles

Too many mostly younger people walk around with their nose in their phones.  I only use mine when sitting or stopped because I'm not stupid enough to think I can walk and text at the same time.   Technology is not a bad thing.  

28 minutes ago, villager70 said:

Checkin open for Allure 10-17-21 this morning.  Checked in and got 100pm first arrival on 10-10  & 10-17 cruises.   Bob & Nancy.  The Villages, Florida

Me too but I can't check in for our August and September Mariner sailings

6 hours ago, shofer said:

DH & I are holding the line against smart phones.  We do have a laptop and I have always signed in for our cruises w/o any problem.   All vaccinated and looking forward to our cruise in January.

As I said my 83 year old parents have phones and use apps.  My mom texts my sisters and I if she just needs to tell us one little thing.  Can I ask why the line you drew is smart phones?  Of course you can use your laptop to sign in for your cruise.  The app gives you other options, especially once on board.  Muster is done mostly on the app now.  

BTW, every generation finds an issue with the latest technology.  Remember, cell phones alone were new not that long ago, cordless phones for the home, computers, Smart TV's, cars,  all were "new technology" at one time.  It is of course everyone's choice, but smart phones aren't evil lol.

In church and at my MIL's senior living community I see many, many over 75's who have and use smart phones.  It's a lot more people than not that have them, a lot, even in "older" people.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BND said:

As I said my 83 year old parents have phones and use apps.  My mom texts my sisters and I if she just needs to tell us one little thing.  Can I ask why the line you drew is smart phones?  Of course you can use your laptop to sign in for your cruise.  The app gives you other options, especially once on board.  Muster is done mostly on the app now.  

BTW, every generation finds an issue with the latest technology.  Remember, cell phones alone were new not that long ago, cordless phones for the home, computers, Smart TV's, cars,  all were "new technology" at one time.  It is of course everyone's choice, but smart phones aren't evil lol.

In church and at my MIL's senior living community I see many, many over 75's who have and use smart phones.  It's a lot more people than not that have them, a lot, even in "older" people.  

I see people totally addicted to their phones, messages, apps, etc.  For what?  Instant access to games, other people's inane comments, "social" media?  It breaks my heart when I see a family out for breakfast and while waiting for their meal, each one is on a phone instead of engaging with each other.   I feel that all this technology is isolating us from one another.  We each have a flip phone which has all the features but we choose to limit it to phone calls.  Most of the time, mine is turned off.

2 minutes ago, shofer said:

I see people totally addicted to their phones, messages, apps, etc.  For what?  Instant access to games, other people's inane comments, "social" media?  It breaks my heart when I see a family out for breakfast and while waiting for their meal, each one is on a phone instead of engaging with each other.   I feel that all this technology is isolating us from one another.  We each have a flip phone which has all the features but we choose to limit it to phone calls.  Most of the time, mine is turned off.

I understand and dh would agree.   Problem with his old flip phone is getting and receiving text messages.   An issue when I was having surgery and the nurses wanted to text him status.   Texting our children with status was also an issue.   He will be getting a new phone before we travel.   Our phones are usually turned off onboard a ship, mostly a cost issue.   Our children know i will check email once a day, mostly to make sure all are well. This dates back to our pre cell days when we had older relatives and the rule was everyone checked in daily when traveling.   Became a major issue when an aunt and uncle were traveling and their son was hospitalized after a car accident.   No one knew how to reach them until they called in.  All ended well but still an issue.  

• Like 1

Seems like this topic/thread has taken a political or a judgemental tone. 
Not everyone who has a smartphone is addicted and playing games. I think technology has a place to enhance good communication in the world now.
Am I technically savvy? Not at all, but I do enjoy the time saving features that apps offer and I’m very happy RC has expanded their app now. I will be using it.
BTW, I am a senior citizen who is open minded to change.

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

I understand and dh would agree.   Problem with his old flip phone is getting and receiving text messages.   An issue when I was having surgery and the nurses wanted to text him status.   Texting our children with status was also an issue.   He will be getting a new phone before we travel.   Our phones are usually turned off onboard a ship, mostly a cost issue.   Our children know i will check email once a day, mostly to make sure all are well. This dates back to our pre cell days when we had older relatives and the rule was everyone checked in daily when traveling.   Became a major issue when an aunt and uncle were traveling and their son was hospitalized after a car accident.   No one knew how to reach them until they called in.  All ended well but still an issue.  

Hubby will text and receive texts.  I can't be bothered.  I do check in every day via email on the ship's computer.   I'm sure the day will come when we will absolutely need a smart phone.  But he's 78 and I'm 75 so who knows if we will need it in the future?

I was happy with my flip phone for many years. Texting was a pain but I did not do much of it.  When I retired and we were taking a 35 day trip our DD insisted we take a smart phone that had international text and data.  After that I kept the switch.  We were later on a Royal ship that had just installed the app and it was frustrating as it did not have all the bugs out yet.  We have now progressed to using the phones regularly.  Our phones and tablets were really nice to have when our grandson was born and we met him on a video call.      

• Like 1

Wow!  I agree too judgmental.  Personally, I am 71 and very computer savvy, iphone 10 etc. In fact my Hubby has his own Tech company.   These are tools not a way of life.  Yes, anything has it's evils associated with it, but to each their own.  Now people are arguing over technology....have you all forgotten that like the guns the techno toys don't do anything by themselves.  People do.  The old scripture does not say "Money is the root of all evil"  but rather "The love of money is the root of all evil.  These things are meant to enhance and make our lives easier, not enslave us.  But heck, use them or not, live and let live.  Too much criticism is never good for anybody.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, molly361 said:

Me too but I can't check in for our August and September Mariner sailings

Same for us . Have the 9-10 and 3 more back to back. Haven't got the e mail on health & boarding protocol we got on the Allure before checkin opened. Probably  will come in the next few days. Saw  you are on the pinnacle mission also. We would have got 700 Oct. 10th but with cancels will be Jan.10th  Indy

• Like 1

At some point people moved from radio to TV, and now to smart TV. From bulky pc's to laptops and now to tablets. You don't have to be adducted as some are to the tecknowledgey because others are but when it makes your life easier and safer its a good decision to use it. It is not going away and it will continue to evolve. Old tecknowledgey become absolute and not supported so its easier to get involved early than when its too late and you have to play catch up. 

The first version on the RCCL app on one of our cruises was kind of a joke in my opinion but this new one is really good and we are scheduled to sail on August 15th and can't wait to use it.   

On 7/19/2021 at 7:44 AM, BND said:

Too many mostly younger people walk around with their nose in their phones.  I only use mine when sitting or stopped because I'm not stupid enough to think I can walk and text at the same time.   Technology is not a bad thing.  

actually you are the smarter one.  I laugh my head off when I see folks dropping their expensive phones while working.  Sorry.

Speaking of phones, I just got a new one.  Switched from Android to Apple since there is a shortage of Samsung androids.  I really like my new phone and has better sound.  But the price will not make me want to walk around holding it in my hand!!!!!  Yes technology is good, just not the RCI app.

Tried using reservation number after logon, won't recognize.  But I select the ship, and it all comes up.

So tech stuff is annoying too.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:53 PM, BecciBoo said:

Wow!  I agree too judgmental.  Personally, I am 71 and very computer savvy, iphone 10 etc. In fact my Hubby has his own Tech company.   These are tools not a way of life.  Yes, anything has it's evils associated with it, but to each their own.  Now people are arguing over technology....have you all forgotten that like the guns the techno toys don't do anything by themselves.  People do.  The old scripture does not say "Money is the root of all evil"  but rather "The love of money is the root of all evil.  These things are meant to enhance and make our lives easier, not enslave us.  But heck, use them or not, live and let live.  Too much criticism is never good for anybody.

I agree, could not have said it better myself. I especially love it when the anti cell phone comments make their way into a live review, meanwhile they are thanking the poster for photos and comments while onboard.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, molly361 said:

Someone posted a few days ago that they could not even check in on a computer and had to use the app which I find hard to believe.  Has anyone had luck checking in on your laptop?

The app opened up for check in prior to the web page on our Oct 3rd Allure.

On the simulation cruise, app didn’t work, had to use computer

• Thanks 1

I checked my husband I in for our cruise on Ovation at the  end of August on my computer— with absolutely No Problems.  Luggage tags aren’t available yet, but I printed our Set Sail Passes, so I’m fine. 
I also have the app and it’s working beautifully. 
I can’t believe the drama this seems to be causing. 🙄

• Like 1