The Daily for Sunday Jul 04, 2021

richwmn

Jul42021.thumb.png.0af728ac2348cb2e068de18a30235c6b.png

Today is Independence Day (U.S.), Build A Scarecrow Day, and National Country Music Day

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. All is riddle, and the key to a riddle is another riddle. - Ralph Waldo Emerson"

Meal suggestion for today - Brats, Hot Dogs and Hambugers on the grill!

Drink of the Day - Margarita

Wine of the day - Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon - California - Red

Destination of the Day - Bar Harbor Maine US

At Sea Pacific
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 7/6
Zuiderdam drifting off Baja California

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Off Coast Operations

Venice IT
Rotterdam0704USA.thumb.png.0331b07845f1074b1782b96341fdf6ce.png

0704Europe.thumb.png.2bc0b38f2ea967709722d3480acf3483.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good  morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Independence Day to our friends in the USA!

Wonderful quote.

Great meal suggestion.   I'd love a margarita.  Hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for our world.

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Fourth of July report, Rich.  Not really a Country Music Fan but I enjoy it.  Will pass on the Scarecrow.  Like the quote and love Bar Harbor.  The meal suggestion is nice.  My alternative is Mixed Gourmet Greens, Oven Roasted Chicken, and NSA Strawberry Ice Cream what I might have had on MS Zaandam July 4, 2002 when the Zaandam was in Ketchikan.

I was quite distracted by last night's Crystal Serenity sailaway so I hope I didn't miss anything major in the lists:

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires, Especially Lyttlon
Ger_77's friend
Mamaofami rehab center problems
First responder in Surfside, Florida recovering own child
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU

From the rotation:
StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries
Mary229's sister resting after treatment for agressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Independence Day
Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale
wandb DS with great cat scan results
Explorer OTS housing Surfsice first responders
great scan result for wandb sister
Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Carol’s children standing up for their father
Miss Camila moveg to NICU closer to family
Nieuw Amsterdam 11 years old
Dfish in Michigan
Nieuw Statendam in Everglades Monday
CrazyforCats in Pennsylvania
Bennybear DSIL back home
HorizonChaser1857 visiting DS in Okanagan

Mr Boston visiting mom in Michigan

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

DF9554E8-11E5-4D27-A256-0E659DFF65A1.jpeg.b0d6d5aacf9a82d802930507505e59b7.jpeg

Roy, thank you for our lists. Morning Dailyite family.  Happy 4th to all who are celebrating. Interesting quote. Meal sounds traditional. As does the drink. No special plans. Waiting to see how the weather plays out. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon - California 2018

This Cab has an excellent rating, and a reasonable price. A large number of online distributors, with prices starting at $16.94.

BTW,

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/oberon+cab+sauv+napa+valley+county+north+coast+california+usa/1/usa-fl

allows you change the Country to search for availability. 

Winemaker Notes

With a kiss of Petite Verdot and a dash of Zinfandel he helped to create Oberon’s deep colors, supple silky tannins, and notes of vibrant black cherry, candied blackberry and spices. A hint of coffee and dark chocolate create a lingering and delightful finish. Blend: 92.7% Cabernet, 7.3% other blending varietals

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: This wine represents tremendous value for the price and case production, mixed with a small amounts of supporting varieties. Smoky in grilled meat flavor, it has a velvety plushness to the texture and balanced tannin's, the dark baked fruit adding richness. Editors’ Choice.

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

Happy Fourth To All! 🇺🇸 Well I survived my first day of Pop Pop Camp with our five year old granddaughter. Whew!

I’ll be working the grill today with ribs which may require a couple of the drinks of the day!

Gotta go! A little girl needs entertaining. “ Pop Pop let’s play!”

Thanks for the report. Can’t wait to the ships and crew start moving!🛳

• Like 26
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our U.S. Independence Day Daily 🙂 

A very happy Independence Day to all our our American friends:

EFDF156D-453A-43B6-8F7B-F16A6055C16F.gif.de5bd60bd47496f0fb8a642320caaaf2.gif

I’ll pass on Country Music Day and had never heard of Build a Scarecrow day until now:

0F35B7CA-B05E-4E50-A41F-77DFA7789CCF.jpeg.0acbb7c9e7507a45e2c3a5ea681b04a2.jpeg

That’s a great quote by Emerson!  I had thought to have bbq’d sausages today in the spirit of July 4th (DH doesn’t like hotdogs) but the rain may change my plans.  It’s going to be pouring here all day and night. And, I’ll get to clean up the mess from the dogs 😉 

BC09C85C-F0DB-4AD7-A028-9118340FE0B6.jpeg.7368b4171fc22a6948414876887ad968.jpeg

House work is sadly on the agenda with the rain and the dogs - I’ll end up in one of these moods before the day is over:

5D3385AC-B690-454D-BA10-0E54D41096DE.thumb.jpeg.2166908974ed1a36ff7578cc9d274a7a.jpeg

We’ve been to Bar Harbor a few times but by land, not by cruise ship.  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  

Have a great Sunday & Independence Day everyone!

C4D39ECD-65AA-41E9-80A4-40D6454FD1EE.gif.8d6e170f31ee344250ee1fe9bc3d62df.gif

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 37
  • Haha 2

Good morning, everyone from just north of Elk Rapids, Michigan.   We have a lot of haze here this morning from Canadian wildfires near Winnipeg.  Usually, you can see the Leelanau peninsula across Grand Traverse Bay, but not this morning.  The lake is very calm, so we may take the kayaks out again this morning.  Here's a shot from last night.

IMG_0030.thumb.jpg.1f9654e4e225bc14442a03569f744dc7.jpg

As for today's meal, I'll start with brats.  Easy enough to do, just be sure to parboil them first to ensure an even grill.   I usually parboil in beer.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-cook-bratwurst/

1180193083_bratsonthegrill.thumb.jpg.8039561288a4f603e4814e6381d56a4b.jpg

Here Bobby Flay offers his advice for the best burgers.   I add onion soup mix and some worcestershire sauce on occasion.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/perfect-burger-recipe-1957542

893687526_Perfectburgerrecipe.jpeg.d83e7743f5b92063618de276c756daa2.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!  🇺🇸   🔔   🥁   🎆   🧨

For us today...local parade, then over the hill to Poway for their "Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration," then steaks on the BBQ.  The Drink of the Day could fit into this programme.

Wishing a safe and pleasant day to those in all parts of the world and thank you for the Daily!    🌎  😊

• Like 20

Happy 4th!!  Will skip making a scarecrow and LOVE country music.Great Quote and don't have a grill but will enjoy hot dogs and burgers at a neighbors.  Drove past Bar Harbor on our way to Nova Scotia but didn't stop. Prayers to our care list and love the long celebration list. Love the photo's of the port.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Margarita: ( and this is one of the many recipes)

A margarita is a cocktail consisting of tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice often served with salt on the rim of the glass. The drink is served shaken with ice, blended with ice, or without ice. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz Cointreau, 1 oz Lime juice, 2 oz Tequila
Preparation: Rub the rim of the glass with the lime slice to make the salt stick to it. Shake the other ingredients with ice, then carefully pour into the glass (taking care not to dislodge any salt). Garnish and serve over ice.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime slice, Salt on the rim
Drinkware: Margarita glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 8.08.41 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Continuing on, advice for the perfect grilled hot dogs:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/grilled-hot-dogs-8739526

1235437348_Grilledhotdogs.jpeg.e4d68f4a33e613a8dd25916553f23e18.jpeg

As for Bar Harbor, I've been there and love it!   We usually head out to Acadia National Park on the Island Explorer and do some hiking.  We follow that up with lunch at Jordan Pond House. These are photos from the Ocean Walk Trail.   I was three months post knee replacement.

20180826_122520001_iOS.thumb.jpg.eb775f433838f837e6bbad5c1354e0b1.jpg

20180826_123752641_iOS.thumb.jpg.e789c6f730f7b6a90b88463edaf1eec4.jpg20180826_123741900_iOS.thumb.jpg.07ca3ef87e68c2e93fad2e704723dbe2.jpg

20180826_124940107_iOS.jpg

20180826_125800340_iOS.jpg

20180826_130428765_iOS.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Happy  July 4th to  all  who  celebrate! My  dog  was  huddled against  me  last  night  due  to  the  many  fireworks  going  off  in  the  neighborhood. I  turned  the  AC  on in  the bedroom  to  counter  the  noise somewhat. I  have  no  problem  with  professional  organized  fireworks  displays  but  hate  the  sounds  in  the  street going  on  for  hours. OK,rant  over.

I  admire  scarecrows  but  have  no  reason  to  build  one. My  oldest  brother  was  a  huge  country  music  fan   and  he  tried  for  years  to get  this  rock  and  roller  interested. Tonight  we  will  cook  burgers  on  the  grill  if  the  rain  holds  off.

We  have  been  to  Bar  Harbor three  times  and  always  enjoyed  it. It  was  when  the  children  were  young  the  first  time  and  I  made  them  get  up  very  early  to  see  the  sunrise on  Cadillac  Mountain. We  also  hiked  on  beautiful  trails    in  Acadia  National  Park. The  other  two  times  were  on  BHB's   and  we  mostly  stayed  in  town.

IMG_0925.JPG

• Like 28

Good morning everyone. Happy Independence Day , America.

we lost the appeal with Kessler to extend Sam’s stay, and are now being informed that since none of the facilities we are looking at are open over the weekend, something we weren’t informed about, we are responsible for paying $1874 per day to Kessler until the admissions people return to work on Tuesday.  We were told that Kessler would be open over the weekend and assumed that would be the case for admissions at the facilities we asked them to look into. Last night was the first time they used the term skilled nursing facility rather than sub acute facility and I’m not sure of the difference.  My daughter signed her last email to the social worker supervisor with her full name, title, and law firm to which she is senior counsel. We have a copy of the emails back and forth and if necessary, will wind up taking legal action, not something any of us want to do.

On the bright side, Sam continues to improve every day. Yesterday he walked 60:feet without the walker. He can dress and undress himself, and use the toilet facilities on his own. His speech and memory are good, and I am afraid he will have surpassed the medical needs of sub acute and will come home on Tuesday and I will  be left scrambling to find an agency and an aide. 

And so this saga continues. I am worn out by what feels like a battle to get him the appropriate care. Sorry for so much complaining.

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Happy Independence Day!  A lazy Sunday morning so far so I'd better get moving.  Thanks Rich for our holiday Daily.  Thanks to Roy for the long list of celebrations and the shorter list of those who need prayers.  That's encouraging.  I enjoy country music quite a lot but not sure I need a scarecrow since I have no crops.  

Yesterday we saw a deer out back of our property (a slice of land between us and the golf course) three times, twice in broad daylight when they usually stay hidden in the woods.  The last time was just before it became completely dark out last night.  The strange thing about this deer was her left eye was white and cloudy looking!  It sort of looked like a cataract, though perhaps she could have injured it.  Is anyone here an expert on wildlife, or a vet or vet assistant?  Now is when we need Dr. Pol.  I'm hoping this condition doesn't progress and possibly end her life early.  Since this is a thread where we don't have to keep on topic I feel like I can ask a non-cruise question here.  Thanks for anyone who knows something on this subject.

We went to Bar Harbor on the Rotterdam in Oct. 2018.  Thanks for the pictures so far.  They reminded me of all the rocky surfaces in that area of Maine.  

From a T-shirt seen at a store there.enhance

Now that we know how to pronounce the name of the town properly, let us continue. enhance

This is the exterior of a restaurant.  Good thing they hung that sign at the doorway or you'd never find your way inside.

enhance

Some of the interesting rock formations.enhance

Lot of variations in the color in this rock.enhance

enhance

enhance

Here we are at the Village Burying Ground.enhance

This plaque tells you more.enhance

enhance

enhance

Low tideenhance

It was quite a pretty little spot to visit.enhance

I wouldn't mind seeing this sight this very day, as long as it was on a BHB!enhance

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Happy Independence Day , America.

we lost the appeal with Kessler to extend Sam’s stay, and are now being informed that since none of the facilities we are looking at are open over the weekend, something we weren’t informed about, we are responsible for paying $1874 per day to Kessler until the admissions people return to work on Tuesday.  We were told that Kessler would be open over the weekend and assumed that would be the case for admissions at the facilities we asked them to look into. Last night was the first time they used the term skilled nursing facility rather than sub acute facility and I’m not sure of the difference.  My daughter signed her last email to the social worker supervisor with her full name, title, and law firm to which she is senior counsel. We have a copy of the emails back and forth and if necessary, will wind up taking legal action, not something any of us want to do.

On the bright side, Sam continues to improve every day. Yesterday he walked 60:feet without the walker. He can dress and undress himself, and use the toilet facilities on his own. His speech and memory are good, and I am afraid he will have surpassed the medical needs of sub acute and will come home on Tuesday and I will  be left scrambling to find an agency and an aide. 

And so this saga continues. I am worn out by what feels like a battle to get him the appropriate care. Sorry for so much complaining.

Oh my heavens, Carol, this is horrific 😡 I am so sorry to hear of your ongoing struggle 😢. Why do bad things happen to good people??

I am glad to hear Sam is improving but my heart goes out to you for the struggles with his care ♥️ 

• Like 11