Norway - Oceania vs. Viking

Eartha

Have cruised on the Marina before (had a wonderful time) and am looking at their 2022 Norwegian Cruise itinerary.  Their ports are not the typical ones one sees for this part of the world and I am comparing this cruise to the one on Viking - Shores & Fjords.  If anyone has cruised on either of these, would love to hear your comments.  I am also going to post this on the Viking forum.  Thanks in advance.

We love Oceania, and Art is particular to Marina and Riviera. We have not cruised with Viking. We have, however, meticulously scrutinized every Norwegian fjords cruise we could find. We have decided to try Silversea for this cruise next year because it appears to visit more fjords. It depends on what you are looking for on such an itinerary. 

I am booked on the 10 day Norwegian cruise on marina that departs 29 June 2022. I went to the ports forum to do some research on the itinerary. I posted the towns that are visited on the 10 day cruise. A local expert responded that it is an unusual itinerary with calls at lots of small coastal towns and only one fjord port, Olden.

i’m still debating whether I will stick with this itinerary or perhaps do a land tour in England that focuses on architecture and history.

What are the ports  or at least the sailing date?

We have done Norway  with Oceania  twice  once on Marina  & Insignia

Once on another cruise line

I would choose the one  that goes to the ports you want to see

Norway is about the ports ..the ship gets you there

JMO

Another cruise line to consider for Norway is Azamara.  The R-ships are small enough to go into Troll Fjord, spin around and come out (rather than backing out) – watching that from the top deck was amazing!  They also have connections to locals, since one of their Captains is Norwegian, and stock up on fresh berries from a fjord-side farm.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The differences between AZ, Viking, and Oceania are minimal. Itinerary, itinerary, itinerary. Choose the one you find most interesting.

I will amend this by adding that accordingly to several sources that have done both lines in Norway and the Baltic,  Viking considers this their home turf, and they really excelled in their enrichment speakers and programs. This is not something Oceania puts much effort or expense in, but takes a rather low key vanilla approach. Norway to Viking is like French Polynesian to PG. If enrichment speakers and programs are of any interest to you, this may be a point of consideration.

• Thanks 1

Given any thought to one of the Hurtigruten ferries (preferably one of the larger ones)?  A very different experience from the "happily coddled" experiences of Viking and Oceania and Regent.  But a round trip, Bergen to Kirkenes to Bergen, will put you into a very large number of fiords, many of them in the middle of the night, true, but....  Cannot speak about Azamara as I have never sailed with them.

• Like 1

I agree with pinotlover that Viking has better enrichment speakers (on any number of subjects) and programs than Oceania.  We did Viking's Midnight Sun cruise to Norway which was very good though not about the smaller fjords.  I also agree with Hunding that Hurtigruten or other actual Norwegian vessels might be a better choice for Norway than Oceania.  Our next cruises will be on O but there was something about the ambience on Viking (the decor of the ship, the food, the lectures, etc) that was just right for seeing several different parts of Norway.

• Thanks 1

Itinerary is my priority for a Norway cruise. Oceania is my favorite cruise line but next year’s Norwegian itinerary does not travel far enough north to satisfy in any way my Norwegian travel goals, of which fjords is major one.

i was on the same Azamara cruise as Host Jazzbeau, every port in Norway (RT Amsterdam only non- Norway stop) all the way up to Northkapp and back, and it was an incomparable experience. (At that time the Oceania Norwegian itinerary included ports in Putinland so political traveler spouse would not even consider it.)

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Itinerary is my priority for a Norway cruise. Oceania is my favorite cruise line but next year’s Norwegian itinerary does not travel far enough north to satisfy in any way my Norwegian travel goals, of which fjords is major 

Totally agree that O does not offer an itinerary as far north as the North Cape, with the exception of one.  Viking has an itinerary called Into the Midnight Sun while, not exclusively Norwegian fjords, it does include the North Cape which meets my needs.  We were booked on the 6/14/2021 sailing which was a covid cancellation and may consider it in the future when the covid problem is over.  O is our preferred cruise line but the Norwegian fjords itinerary goes to Viking.

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another cruise line to consider for Norway is Azamara.  The R-ships are small enough to go into Troll Fjord, spin around and come out (rather than backing out) – watching that from the top deck was amazing!  They also have connections to locals, since one of their Captains is Norwegian, and stock up on fresh berries from a fjord-side farm.

Our first Norwegian cruise was Bergen to North Cape and back -- in 1977.  This was on the Bergen Lines which I believe are now Hurtigruten.  But back then the ships were actually mail boats that took passengers up the coast.  Our favorite visit was to the Troll Fjord.  We loved it so much that on the return back to Bergen we convinced the captain to take us in there again.

If I were deciding between Oceania,, Viking or Azamara, going back to the Troll Fjord would be the deciding port for me!

But as Lyn said, the ships get you there.  The ports are what should be the deciding point.

Only smaller ships can get into the Troll Fjord.  But it is truly spectacular.

Mura

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mura said:

Our first Norwegian cruise was Bergen to North Cape and back -- in 1977.  This was on the Bergen Lines which I believe are now Hurtigruten.  But back then the ships were actually mail boats that took passengers up the coast.  Our favorite visit was to the Troll Fjord.  We loved it so much that on the return back to Bergen we convinced the captain to take us in there again.

If I were deciding between Oceania,, Viking or Azamara, going back to the Troll Fjord would be the deciding port for me!

But as Lyn said, the ships get you there.  The ports are what should be the deciding point.

Mura

Dear Mura,

Your many adventures truly amaze me. I just went online searching. 

We were in Bergen with Viking but this was a British Isles cruise. We disembarked and did our own tours to Flam, some fjords etc. and then train back to Oslo. We really enjoyed it. However, this Troll Fjord has awakened my senses and need to do more searching. Thank you.

There  are a couple next Aug  that go to the North Cape   but unfortunately for Pam they go to Russia

I enjoyed Murmansk  when we were there but would have liked to see more  but private tours there  were not really up & running at the time

For those considering Hurtigruten  pay attention to the time in port   some stops  are just to drop of  supplies /locals  you might only be in port for 1 hr

7 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Itinerary is my priority for a Norway cruise. Oceania is my favorite cruise line but next year’s Norwegian itinerary does not travel far enough north to satisfy in any way my Norwegian travel goals, of which fjords is major one.

i was on the same Azamara cruise as Host Jazzbeau, every port in Norway (RT Amsterdam only non- Norway stop) all the way up to Northkapp and back, and it was an incomparable experience. (At that time the Oceania Norwegian itinerary included ports in Putinland so political traveler spouse would not even consider it.)

One of the craziest things I have experienced while cruising was when one of the Princess R ships (Ocean?) sunk the Norwegian tug boat while leaving a port in Norway (Nordkapp?).

The tug boat failed to disengage and we all watch in horror as she was pulled and sank in front of our eyes.

The 2 fellows from the tug jumped into the icy waters and swam ashore. Apparently they didn't even need to go to the hospital for treatment of hypothermia - tough folks.

The police came aboard our ship for a few hours' worth of investigations but we were cleared in the end.

• 2 years later...
On 7/5/2021 at 8:33 PM, Mura said:

Mura

Now intrigued by Troll Fjord.  Who else has visited and what can you add? Need to research it further.  🧐

8 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

Now intrigued by Troll Fjord.  Who else has visited and what can you add? Need to research it further.  🧐

Maybe check out Hurtigruten. We did their coastal cruise and it was incredible. Take a look at the ship also.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/inspiration/norwegian-fjords/trollfjord

15 minutes ago, clo said:

Maybe check out Hurtigruten. We did their coastal cruise and it was incredible. Take a look at the ship also.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/inspiration/norwegian-fjords/trollfjord

Ah, memories!! 😀

Our Norwegian Coastal Round-Trip was on the Trollfjord.  We loved the name of the ship!

However, although the Trollfjord can indeed "fit" through the Trollfjord... it's not possible in the winter.  It would still "fit".  The concern involves snowy avalanches falling onto the ship - not good.  There's no way for a ship to get far from a side, at least not without, er, somehow climbing up the other side!

But we did turn and "face into" Trollfjord, and we (the passengers) all gasped. No one in the group with us, in the wonderful forward observation area, could believe the ship could ever get through, regardless of season.

But that is the only time we wished we weren't there in the winter.

Otherwise, we wanted to see the snowy landscapes.  And the Northern Lights.

It was all beautiful.

That was one of our all time favorite trips, even though almost all of our other trips were more "luxe" (from a bit to a lot).

GC

11 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

That was one of our all time favorite trips, even though almost all of our other trips were more "luxe" (from a bit to a lot).

Definitely not "luxe" on our ship, the Lofoten (now retired). It had 100 pax, a little crane for some cargo, day passengers. There were only two other 'Americans' which we loved. English, German, Aussies and more.

The cabin was super small. We couldn't both stand up at the same time. The shower had no 'curb' so when the water was rough one day/night the water would run across the bathroom floor. We put bathroom 'stuff' in a cardboard box and set it on the toilet when we were in the shower. Loved every minute of it.

Now need to do the fjords.

bobsbunk.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

Definitely not "luxe" on our ship, the Lofoten (now retired). It had 100 pax, a little crane for some cargo, day passengers. There were only two other 'Americans' which we loved. English, German, Aussies and more.

The cabin was super small. We couldn't both stand up at the same time. The shower had no 'curb' so when the water was rough one day/night the water would run across the bathroom floor. We put bathroom 'stuff' in a cardboard box and set it on the toilet when we were in the shower. Loved every minute of it.

bobsbunk.jpg

Oh, the Lofoten!

Yup - those look like really close quarters! 😲

We've heard so much about that ship.  I knew they were going to retire it, but not when.

That was Hurtigruten's oldest ship, IIRC.  It looked a LOT different than their other ships!

That must have been a really special trip, and quite the opposite of "luxe"!

When I told DH that we were going to spend 12 days on a ... ferry... well, images of the Staten Island ferry no doubt rushed into his mind. 🙂 

Then I had to start showing him photos to "prove" it wasn't anything like that... yes, a bit spartan, but still special.

If we hadn't known about the "ferry" aspect, we'd never have realized it.  But it was so interesting to sail into so many tiny little ports... it was all so beautiful.

[We thought we'd really miss room service, but by the second day, we forgot all about it.  I have no idea if their newer ships or their expedition ships have it.]

We have photos at the Norway-Russia border, and it was a bit worrisome back then... now?  I'm not sure we'd have taken that excursion (if it's even offered; I think Norway has closed that border).

GC

43 minutes ago, clo said:

bobsbunk.jpg

We have an RV and travel in close quarters in the US, so small quarters don't upset us (too much.) Will have to research even more options now.  Thanks

Posted (edited)

A totally personal decision. Some cruise ships give a very local immersion experience on their various cruises, while others take a Unitarian approach. Paul Gauguin in the FP verses other lines for example. Some travelers live to feel like they never left Omaha, while others want something different. Some love ships where the menu is the same in Italian waters as in Vietnamese waters. Others find that contrary to international travel. People have choices.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Islander500 said:

We have an RV and travel in close quarters in the US, so small quarters don't upset us (too much.) Will have to research even more options now.  Thanks

We also have an RV so space is pretty much laughable:) And as everyone says you spend so little time in your cabin.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:43 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just realized that we were with you on that same August 2016 Azamara voyage. The weather was splendid, showcasing the spectacular scenery, for the entire two weeks. And the "White Nights" party outside on deck in Trollfjord was unforgettable.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clo said:

And as everyone says you spend so little time in your cabin.

If my cabin looked like that, I would indeed spend as little time as possible in it.  But that's why I don't book on ships like that – our cabin is our private retreat and we want enough room to stretch out and enjoy it.  YMMV

• Like 1