Roaming Charges and the X App

cltnccruisers

So I have the X app on my iphone and used it for check in for our August 27 Equinox sailing.  Really looking forward to getting back on board.

It occurred to me this morning that with "free" wifi on board we shouldn't have to worry about roaming charges.  But what about when we leave the ship in port?  There is nothing in the App FAQs on the subject so I thought I'd post here and see what the experts have to say.

Just putting the iphone in airplane mode may be enough?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Leave your phone on airplane mode or you’ll likely have horrendous charges

I ran into this several years ago when I first took my iphone on a cruise.  Normally I would leave it in the car but because of something going on at home I took it.  The charges didn't quite rise to the horrendous level but they were enough to get my attention.  😀

But now we're being pushed to use the app on board.  Will the app work in airplane mode or must we remember to enable it when leaving the ship?

If you are off the ship in port and can't connect to ship WiFi, you need data service on land to use the app. You would still be able to view the calendar, etc. but you won't be able to make any updates or changes without data. 

In airplane mode you won't get any data charges. Go to your providers website and see what coverage you have. Mexico is fully covered in our normal plan. Just use your phone like normal. I had to pay $10 for a day pass in the Bahamas last week.

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If you are off the ship in port and can't connect to ship WiFi, you need data service on land to use the app. You would still be able to view the calendar, etc. but you won't be able to make any updates or changes without data. 

In airplane mode you won't get any data charges. Go to your providers website and see what coverage you have. Mexico is fully covered in our normal plan. Just use your phone like normal. I had to pay $10 for a day pass in the Bahamas last week.

About the only thing I'd use it for in port is for pictures.  That should still work in airplane mode I think.  But something dawned on me a few minutes ago and I've emailed X about it.  Will the app work on board if the iphone is in airplane mode?  My guess is it will not.  That means that iphone minimalists like myself will have to remember to toggle it back and forth.  I think I still have enough live brain cells to manage that but it would be nice to not have to.

BTW, there is nothing along these lines in the App FAQs.  Can't wait to get back on board.

• Like 1

Just now, cltnccruisers said:

About the only thing I'd use it for in port is for pictures.  That should still work in airplane mode I think.  But something dawned on me a few minutes ago and I've emailed X about it.  Will the app work on board if the iphone is in airplane mode?  My guess is it will not.  That means that iphone minimalists like myself will have to remember to toggle it back and forth.  I think I still have enough live brain cells to manage that but it would be nice to not have to.

BTW, there is nothing along these lines in the App FAQs.  Can't wait to get back on board.

You can still turn on WiFi in airplane mode and have access to the ship's WiFi network onboard. You may have to manually reconnect to WiFi after you turn airplane mode on, but it will definitely work. 

• Like 1

Just take cellular data off, and stay in wifi mode, what I always end up doing.  I did it on my last trip to the DR.  I do the wifi calling also so much simpler.  Was the first time on my last trip a few weeks ago to the DR that I actually had to carry my phone, menus etc only on the phone, kind of liked it much better.  No excess paper, things on the table anymore, once ordered phone was put away into my travel partners purse.  

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You can still turn on WiFi in airplane mode and have access to the ship's WiFi network onboard. You may have to manually reconnect to WiFi after you turn airplane mode on, but it will definitely work. 

Just tested it by enabling airplane mode, manually connecting to WiFi and pulling up a couple of sites.  Worked just fine.

If you want to use the phone in port, including data, you need to look up your carrier’s international roaming for the places you’re visiting. 

With an iPhone, to use the ship’s Wi-Fi, you need to turn on airplane mode, then enable WI-FI. Airplane made alone will disable WI-FI, and you need WI-FI to connect the app to the ship. That will also allow you to connect to Wi-Fi hotspots in port, if you wish. There are other, just to be safe settings. Under Cellular, you can turn off cellular data, which also turns off data roaming. On my 11 Pro on iOS 14.6, I don’t see a way to turn off roaming in general other than airplane mode. 

If you only want to use the phone offline in port, and only want to use free Wi-Fi for the app on the ship (do you have an internet package?), then either through settings or pull down the dock from the upper right corner. In order: Airplane mode on, Cellular data off, Wi-Fi on. 

Edited by markeb
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.  I've tested this morning and I am satisfied we'll be fine.

But there's nothing on the X FAQs on this and I have to wonder how many folks might run afoul of the process.  This sort of thing seems natural for millennials  and younger.  Not so much for us old curmudgeons. 

They cannot give instructions for every type of phone in existence & have no idea what type of service plan you might be on for data.  They presume that you know how your phone operates, but the staff generally know how to figure out how to get it into Wi-Fi for you, if you don't already know how to do it. 

Your phone will work fine as a camera in airplane mode unless your storage is full.  If you're not connected to data, your iCloud backups will not happen.  Some people use iCloud to supplement their storage.  Might be something for you to double-check so that there are no surprises.  I generally take all the photos off my phone and upload them to my computer before I go on any trip so that I don't have to delete anything while on the road.

10 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

But there's nothing on the X FAQs on this and I have to wonder how many folks might run afoul of the process.  This sort of thing seems natural for millennials  and younger.  Not so much for us old curmudgeons. 

I hate to be a cynic, but pretty much all of the cruise lines sell some form of cellular service at sea. Roaming…

if you’re not in airplane mode, and set to roam, every text and every incoming call costs you and makes them money. And if you’re not looking at the little icons at the top of the phone, you won’t notice. It’s billed through your carrier at their rates depending on the terms of any international roaming with your carrier. 

50 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

About the only thing I'd use it for in port is for pictures.  That should still work in airplane mode I think.  But something dawned on me a few minutes ago and I've emailed X about it.  Will the app work on board if the iphone is in airplane mode?  

Yes.  Airplane mode turns off the ability to connect to satellites and towers.  It does not affect the ability to connect to wifi.  You will not need to toggle back and forth on the ship.

connecting on land is a different issue 

21 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

The questions being posed relate to the basic operation of a mobile phone, not the operation of the Celebrity app. You can't expect Celebrity to take responsibility for teaching passengers when or how to turn on airplane mode, how to turn on wifi, etc..  Your phone provider should be able to answer all of your questions, but I have to say, CC can probably do as well or better.

As noted, put your phone in airplane mode and enable Wifi.  Also you can set your cellular services to disable data roaming.  If your phone is capable, turn on wifi calling.  With this option you can make and receive calls when connected to a wifi network with no extra charges.  I do this so I can call and check on family members while on the ship.

17 minutes ago, finny2 said:

No real menus? The idea of having to read a menu on my phone is horrible. Please say it isn’t so.

Celebrity isn't pushing anyone to use our smart phones or their apps while on board or even for your pre cruise check in. It an option and you can decide to go that way or not. You will not have to use your smart phone to read the menus or the Celebrity Today. My phone is always turned off before I even board the ship. Once on the ship it will be locked in the stateroom safe for the entire cruise. 

16 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes.  Airplane mode turns off the ability to connect to satellites and towers.  It does not affect the ability to connect to wifi.  You will not need to toggle back and forth on the ship.

connecting on land is a different issue 

You know, it’s been so long since I’ve flown, even I’m confused. And it probably depends on the iOS version. You used to have to reenable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth after turning airplane mode on. On my 11 Pro on iOS 14.6, turning airplane mode on now only turns off cellular, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, both now allowed on pretty much all aircraft, stay active. 

And I’ve done this “all the time”!

14 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

As noted, put your phone in airplane mode and enable Wifi.  Also you can set your cellular services to disable data roaming.  If your phone is capable, turn on wifi calling.  With this option you can make and receive calls when connected to a wifi network with no extra charges.  I do this so I can call and check on family members while on the ship.

You would need to have the more expensive Stream package rather than the Surf package to use WiFi calling. 

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

You know, it’s been so long since I’ve flown, even I’m confused. And it probably depends on the iOS version. You used to have to reenable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth after turning airplane mode on. On my 11 Pro on iOS 14.6, turning airplane mode on now only turns off cellular, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, both now allowed on pretty much all aircraft, stay active. 

And I’ve done this “all the time”!

It must be a hardware thing with newer models. I'm running iOS 14.6 on my iPhone 7+ and airplane mode still disables wifi and cellular data.

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You would need to have the more expensive Stream package rather than the Surf package to use WiFi calling. 

We were on the Summit in 2019 with only the lowest level (Surf equivalent) internet and were able to use wifi calling. It worked fine.

5 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

What concerns me is how soon Cellular at Sea is turned on as you leave port. And how many miles from the coast it operates.We are on a round Britain cruise.

Horror story from my last cruise: We were on at&t land data sending pics back as we crossed under the Golden Gate Bridge on Oceania Regatta.  Without knowing it Cellular at Sea took over the data, and we got whacked with a huge charge.  Lesson: Go to ship wifi as soon as you start moving from port and go to airplane.

25 minutes ago, lorimay said:

We were on the Summit in 2019 with only the lowest level (Surf equivalent) internet and were able to use wifi calling. It worked fine.

With the changes to the packages Surf will not support WiFi calling. I was on Edge last week and it definitely will not work. The package included in the old 3 perk deals would.