Advice on extension cord needed

I had my 6 ft confiscated in miami. They are iffy at best, especially longer ones unless you have a CPA or whatever it's called. I wanted one for a electric clock. Clock allowed, the extension cord unplugged from clock and taken to naughty room.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I had my 6 ft confiscated in miami. They are iffy at best, especially longer ones unless you have a CPA or whatever it's called. I wanted one for a electric clock. Clock allowed, the extension cord unplugged from clock and taken to naughty room.

Oh no!!

I'm finding ones for cruises, but all 5t. That's too short, we'll be tripping non stop. LOL 

7 minutes ago, Riemercruisin said:

Oh no!!

I'm finding ones for cruises, but all 5t. That's too short, we'll be tripping non stop. LOL 

I asked customs why they took it and they said so I dont hang myself. Dont know if was a joke or what. Unless you have a cpac breathing machine they are picky. Says allowed if used with caution, dumb they took mine. 

From faq

Each stateroom has one electric outlet located at the desk. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style). On the Carnival Celebration and Mardi Gras, there are three outlets located at the desk. 

On the Carnival Horizon, Carnival Panorama, Carnival Sunrise, and Carnival Vista, there is one USB outlet (5 volt, 1000mA) in each stateroom. On the Carnival Celebration and Mardi Gras, there are multiple USB outlets at the desk and next to the beds. 

The outlet in the bathroom can only be used for electric razors.

Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.   

One thing we figured out a long time ago is to get a multi port USB charger that plugs into the 220 VAC outlet in your cabin.  That'll free up the single 120 VAC outlet for other things.

And I don't blame Carnival for being strict on the use of power strips etc., for one thing the electrical generating capacity of ships is limited, and placing too much load on an outlet is a fire hazard.

We keep extension cord packed in with cpap machine. We have the thing for multiple usb ports packed separately. When I emailed them about distilled water ahead of time, they had suggested we take our own cords because they couldn't guarantee having enough.

• Like 2

We take a multi-plug & USB outlet and then just take a regular extension cord.  No worries about that being taken.  Plus, you can get any length you want for the extension cord and any household one will work.

image.png.7dddfa9dbb3e36fb7ad66ef42ba79485.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082FJXVW6/?coliid=I1QO0UI6W4LBD0&colid=3JWV286120WEQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This doesn't have a surge protector and it gives you 3 USB ports & 3 outlets.  

It's not an extension cord, but I've been cruising with this clock for years with no issues:

image.thumb.png.c2f4e467cab3e5018a8e1759ffcd7a99.png

https://www.amazon.com/MZ-Berger-Digital-Outlets-Charge/dp/B075QNXZ54/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sharp+spc137&qid=1625951472&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

Besides being a clock (not found in any cabin anyway), the 2 power ports are surge protected (I generally have my computer plugged there) plus the USB port for my phone. It's got a 6 ft. power cord to give you a little stretch. Works great for personal electronics, but if I needed something for a CPAP or other medical device, I'd try to prearrange that with the ship.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kennystwin said:

It's not an extension cord, but I've been cruising with this clock for years with no issues:

https://www.amazon.com/MZ-Berger-Digital-Outlets-Charge/dp/B075QNXZ54/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sharp+spc137&qid=1625951472&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

Besides being a clock (not found in any cabin anyway), the 2 power ports are surge protected (I generally have my computer plugged there) plus the USB port for my phone. It's got a 6 ft. power cord to give you a little stretch. Works great for personal electronics, but if I needed something for a CPAP or other medical device, I'd try to prearrange that with the ship.

Surge protectors are a fire hazard on ships.  Even a perfectly functioning surge protector, brand new out of the box can fail in thermal runaway, causing a fire, due to a ground fault at the other end of the ship from your cabin.  Surge protectors are not required on ships (none of the high dollar electronics on the ship, from the navigation systems, to the engine room automation, to the computer server or the POS registers, are surge protected, because it is not necessary).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, groundloop said:

And I don't blame Carnival for being strict on the use of power strips etc., for one thing the electrical generating capacity of ships is limited, and placing too much load on an outlet is a fire hazard.

The amount of power that could possibly be plugged into every single cabin outlet on the ship would amount to about 5% of the total power available.  Placing too much load on an outlet is not a fire hazard, since the circuit breaker is sized to the wire size, and will trip before the wire or outlet overheats.  Now, if you have too many things plugged into an undersized extension cord, then the cord becomes the fire hazard.

• Like 4

TerReuv:  Thanks for this - I've added it to my shopping list on Amazon.  👍

And as for an extension cord, I've taken one on every cruise and have never had it confiscated.  However, it's one of the shorter ones - I think 5' in length and it is NOT a surge protector.  

Edited by LHARTWICK
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 5:22 PM, kennystwin said:

On 7/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, chengkp75 said:

Surge protectors are a fire hazard on ships.  Even a perfectly functioning surge protector, brand new out of the box can fail in thermal runaway, causing a fire, due to a ground fault at the other end of the ship from your cabin.  Surge protectors are not required on ships (none of the high dollar electronics on the ship, from the navigation systems, to the engine room automation, to the computer server or the POS registers, are surge protected, because it is not necessary).

Hey Chief,

Is this clock okay?  It looks like it could be useful!

25 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

TerReuv:  Thanks for this - I've added it to my shopping list on Amazon.  👍

And as for an extension cord, I've taken one on every cruise and have never had it confiscated.  However, it's one of the shorter ones - I think 5' in length and it is NOT a surge protector.  

It has a surge protector in the clock, thus Chief's warning.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It has a surge protector in the clock, thus Chief's warning.

I wasn't referring to the clock - I have the multi-plug/USB outlet posted by TerReuv added to my shopping list. I don't take anything with surge protection in it.  Those items are most often confiscated - at least that's my impression, so I don't risk it.  Don't need them anyway.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 12:15 PM, sammee said:

We keep extension cord packed in with cpap machine. We have the thing for multiple usb ports packed separately. When I emailed them about distilled water ahead of time, they had suggested we take our own cords because they couldn't guarantee having enough.

Sammee, do they provide you with distilled water for the cpap machine? I'm a new cpap user and wasn't sure about acquiring distilled water on boat. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, CWcruisers said:

I actually have one like that too!  Mine doesn't have the USB-C, but the cord is only about 5-6".  Sometimes I take both because there's two outlets & I need to charge a lot of things!  LOL  I love being able to use the basic household extension cords and usually take a couple of different lengths.  Just makes it easier with hair dryers and everything else.  I really wish there were USBs on the little side tables.  I use my phone as my clock at night and alarm if we need it.  Since they don't have the USBs (like the Liberty has), I have to have a cord across the room during the night.  Not great.

6 hours ago, Kbeth93 said:

Sammee, do they provide you with distilled water for the cpap machine? I'm a new cpap user and wasn't sure about acquiring distilled water on boat. Thanks! 

yes, it was $3/gal, going by one of my emails I dug up. 

On 7/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Ask for one when you get onboard. No need to buy one.

Or better yet ask months before you sail. I do that with all our cruise lines, and eventually have gotten the okay to bring one, or they will supply one. Princess is the line that supplied one. I do not recall about the others. I wish I had the email I'd used to contact them, but a quick search was in vain. Soon I will be contacting Carnival about our December 2021 cruise. My wife uses a CPAP machine, and I always mention that.

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...