Horizon 7/10

BlerkOne

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So, stupid question that is only tangentially related to the thread:

What is so special about White Hennessey, other than it isn't available in the US (apparently)?  Is it that much better than other light cognacs?  Or is it a case of "I can't normally get it, therefore I will hoard it when I can?"

Seems like a weird way to market a product:  we won't sell it in the US (a major market, to say the least), but will sell similar products (all the other Hennessey cognac types) in the US so you know it isn't a case of being unable to sell in that market, and that way you have to buy it on cruises/vacations to the Caribbean!

Wow! Who put a burr under your saddle? I was just answering the guy's question. No need to go ballistic on me. 🏳️

3 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Wow! Who put a burr under your saddle? I was just answering the guy's question. No need to go ballistic on me. 🏳️

I wasn't going off on you!  Sorry if you took it that way.  It was me being stupid with the question, not pointing anything at you or anyone else!

It just seems that many folks make a big deal out of snagging multiple bottles of White Hennessey when we get to ports, and I just don't understand what the big deal is, that's all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I wasn't going off on you!  Sorry if you took it that way.  It was me being stupid with the question, not pointing anything at you or anyone else!

It just seems that many folks make a big deal out of snagging multiple bottles of White Hennessey when we get to ports, and I just don't understand what the big deal is, that's all.

No worries. We're good. 🥂 I think I'm going to be on the lookout and snag one when in Cozumel. There are a couple of well stocked liquor stores in Puerto Maya. Just to see what all the hoopla is all about. I'm not a big cognac drinker but I have been known to have enough to 'get er done'. LOL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

What is so special about White Hennessey, other than it isn't available in the US (apparently)?  Is it that much better than other light cognacs?  Or is it a case of "I can't normally get it, therefore I will hoard it when I can?"

Seems like a weird way to market a product:  we won't sell it in the US (a major market, to say the least), but will sell similar products (all the other Hennessey cognac types) in the US so you know it isn't a case of being unable to sell in that market, and that way you have to buy it on cruises/vacations to the Caribbean!

Mainly due to HPW's unavailability in the US generated a lot of interest to those who look for rare things.  Ironically when it was sold in the US it didn't do very well, especially vs  HVS, so Hennessey pulled it from the US market. Technically it's not Illegal to sell in the US, no governing body outlawed it, you can't find it.

It does have a sweeter aroma and more sophisticated flavor than other cognacs, but it's a bit more complex to produce than other cognacs.  Hennessey won't divulge the contents or process. My guess however is that it's the higher alcohol content that gives it an attraction to many imbibers.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I prefer it over the original and the fact it isn't sold in the US makes it a nice gift for friends. Now the most we've purchased is maybe 3 bottles but we have seen people purchase cases of it. 

14 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Mainly due to HPW's unavailability in the US generated a lot of interest to those who look for rare things.  Ironically when it was sold in the US it didn't do very well, especially vs  HVS, so Hennessey pulled it from the US market. Technically it's not Illegal to sell in the US, no governing body outlawed it, you can't find it.

It does have a sweeter aroma and more sophisticated flavor than other cognacs, but it's a bit more complex to produce than other cognacs.  Hennessey won't divulge the contents or process. My guess however is that it's the higher alcohol content that gives it an attraction to many imbibers.

3 minutes ago, mac21902 said:

I prefer it over the original and the fact it isn't sold in the US makes it a nice gift for friends. Now the most we've purchased is maybe 3 bottles but we have seen people purchase cases of it. 

Thanks!  That was sort of what I figured, just wanted to understand the hoopla, as it were.

Anyway, back to the thread topic: thanks for posting @BlerkOne, it has increased my excitement for my wife's and my upcoming cruise in Sept on Magic.

1 hour ago, mac21902 said:

And on some ships it's sold out before the end of day 1 once sales start.

Blerk (or anyone else who's already sailed!) -- Thanks for posting all the info!  One thing I'm wondering is about ground transportation at Miami.   Did you use Carnival (assuming you were flying), or did you use Uber, or the taxis?   We are booked for August 1, but I read a comment over on the Breeze discussions that ground transportation via taxi was practically nonexistent, which I had not even considered.   Just wondering if you saw taxis available and waiting at Miami, or whether it might be better to book the shuttle with Carnival just to be safe?

Also -- do you know if masks were required in Amber Cove?   I thought I had read that they were, but I saw someone else post pics from AC with no masks on -- so didn't know if they just slipped them off for the pics, or if the situation had changed.

Thanks -- counting the days til August 1st!

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Do airlines still allow unopened bottles in carry-ons, or do I need to plan to have bubble wrap packets for my packed luggage for whatever goodies I might  find in port or on the ship??   I recall Ocho Rios several years ago, we were given carry-on boxes with the Carnival logo and just walked them on to the plane, but I haven't brought any bottles back since that trip over a dozen years ago  🙂

6 hours ago, Joe817 said:

5 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

Blerk (or anyone else who's already sailed!) -- Thanks for posting all the info!  One thing I'm wondering is about ground transportation at Miami.   Did you use Carnival (assuming you were flying), or did you use Uber, or the taxis?   We are booked for August 1, but I read a comment over on the Breeze discussions that ground transportation via taxi was practically nonexistent, which I had not even considered.   Just wondering if you saw taxis available and waiting at Miami, or whether it might be better to book the shuttle with Carnival just to be safe?

Also -- do you know if masks were required in Amber Cove?   I thought I had read that they were, but I saw someone else post pics from AC with no masks on -- so didn't know if they just slipped them off for the pics, or if the situation had changed.

We used Uber to FLL. Easily available as people are using them to get to the port. Taxis can be a nightmare to be voided.

Masks are required for all in Dominican Republic (Amber Cove, La Romana...). Except when in the water or near the pool at Amber Cover. Yes, you can slip them off for pics and there were a few anarchists who push the limits. If you get in trouble in a foreign port, don't expect anyone to help you. The ports themselves could close to cruising if things get worse.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

Do airlines still allow unopened bottles in carry-ons, or do I need to plan to have bubble wrap packets for my packed luggage for whatever goodies I might  find in port or on the ship??   I recall Ocho Rios several years ago, we were given carry-on boxes with the Carnival logo and just walked them on to the plane, but I haven't brought any bottles back since that trip over a dozen years ago  🙂

The only unopened bottles allowed would be from duty free airport shops who deliver directly to the planes (and require an international flight). The shop has cardboard boxes, but I don't know how sturdy they are for checked bagged. They might be okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

No, remember there is a 3 ounce limit for any liquids in your carry-ons. I too remember those 3 bottle cardboard boxes from the past. However, last time we dropped our bags and then were stopped by security because of the booze. Luckily we still had a bag with us and paid to check the bag with the booze.

Yes, once you're past security checkpoint you can buy dutyfree if you're on an international flight.

Edited by mondello
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 80sGal said:

Are you in Horizon for 8/1? If so, I am too!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes! I've had this happen before. We even had one cruise where it was sold out at every port. 

1 minute ago, mac21902 said:

Yes! I've had this happen before. We even had one cruise where it was sold out at every port. 

In the covid era, many things can be in short supply. If you absolutely must have something, if you see it, you might snatch it up.  Of course, that may be what creates the shortage - think toilet paper.

15 hours ago, 80sGal said:

We used uber from hotel to port. No problem.

we did use carnival bus from port to miami airport and i would NOT recommend it unless you like having a 15 minute journey take an hour. I did expect it to take longer because of waiting for people to board but still.  Also the bus drops you off at 1 side of the terminal and at least in my case i had to walk about 800 yards to get to my checkin,(southwest).  I would not take that bus again.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Uh oh - someone on the cruise tested positive after they returned home. Vaccinated and Symptomatic. Apparently the doctor indicated he had seen another 7 or 8 cases from people who were on cruises.

Is this someone who you knew or met on the cruise or you read about elsewhere on another website?  On the 7/10 cruise? Thanks

@BlerkOneand any one else who sailed on Horizon- what’s up with this thing I heard about called Liars Club in the Limelight Lounge being the hot new thing? Can you tell me about it? Wondering what it is and hoping it’s offered on other ships? Heard it gets packed and offered at a different time then comedy but right before so if you decide to go you can’t go to comedy because crew makes you exit the lounge and get in the back of the line for comedy? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bdever said:

@BlerkOneand any one else who sailed on Horizon- what’s up with this thing I heard about called Liars Club in the Limelight Lounge being the hot new thing? Can you tell me about it? Wondering what it is and hoping it’s offered on other ships? Heard it gets packed and offered at a different time then comedy but right before so if you decide to go you can’t go to comedy because crew makes you exit the lounge and get in the back of the line for comedy? 

It isn't new. I forget why I missed it on Horizon but I'm sure it was hilarious. On our cruise the panel was CD Donkey, ED Calvin (JH former sidekick), Comedian Percy Crews,... 

Often the Comedy Club was standing room only, if not at capacity  Some things never change.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It isn't new. I forget why I missed it on Horizon but I'm sure it was hilarious. On our cruise the panel was CD Donkey, ED Calvin (JH former sidekick), Comedian Percy Crews,... 

Often the Comedy Club was standing room only, if not at capacity  Some things never change.

What is it????

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Is it advertised in the fun times or on hub app?