Best excursions

circee

Between reading cc, reviews, and individual cruise line websites I'm in information overload. We are considering the Amsterdam to Budapest route with Viking, Emerald, or Avalon. I know there are, perhaps, more highly rated lines that would offer exceptional excursions,  but these 3 seem to be more within our budget. We are in our 70's so I know Viking would be a good fit:-) But all things being relatively equal, I'm hoping to pick the line that might provide the better excursion experience (variety, smaller size, some active options). Any insight on the differences between these lines would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a good TA resource for river cruising, please let me know (mayberrycl at gmail dot com). I usually research everything, book through the cruise line, then transfer our booking to a TA. Planning this river cruise versus our usual Ocean cruise is becoming a little overwhelming and I feel we could use the help of a knowledgeable agent. 

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Our first river cruise sailed from Budapest to Amsterdam on Scenic. We thought we'd do only one R.C. so we splurged a bit on Scenic, Emerald's slightly more upscale option. The cruise was marvelous and we wouldn't have changed a thing but I think you'll find any of your three options will provide an excellent experience. The rivers are the same and many of the stops along the way are the same. I'd suggest you pick the line that seems to fit your needs and/or tastes and I think you'll be very happy. When I talk to others who sailed on various cruise lines I think everyone has been very pleased with their choice and I bet you will be too. Good luck and ENJOY!

Paul

Most lines will split up tours, so you will have probably a max of 20 people on them.  We sailed with Avalon, and because I like to take photographs, went with the gentle walkers group.  We started out with about 5-7, but as word spread that that was a good group for photography (our guides walked and talked instead of standing in a square and talking for 10 minutes to explain everything you just passed), we were up to about 12 or so.

Avalon is part of Globus, so they have a good range of guides in every port, as they do the daily bus tours as well.  Viking has grown so large lately, they should have a good number of guides as well.  Emerald is with Scenic, so I would imagine their selection is also good. 

Look at the excursions offered, and see if there is something with one line that you would like over the other that could give you a better idea as to which line you prefer.  I believe all 3 would normally have a gentle walker along with the regular tours.  

We loved Avalon, they were the perfect fit for us, my Sister & Brother-in-Law love Viking.  I don't personally know of anyone who has sailed on Emerald. I believe the inclusions on all 3 are similar - beer/wine at meals (lunch/dinner), so if that is good enough for you, the only other thing I would recommend you do is compare the size of rooms.  Viking balcony rooms are a good size, but the french balcony ones are small.  Avalon only has french balcony, which are great, as you have nice comfortable chair & small couch to sit on for the little time you are in your room, but you can open the window almost the whole width of the room to watch the river. I'm not familiar with Emerald's cabins, so I won't make any comments on them.

49 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think you will generally find active options on Viking. They seem to cater to a slightly less energetic crowd; no bikes on board, no exercise equipment on board.

They may not have them onboard, but they advertise cycling excursions on their Grand European Tour.  This would be the tour the OP would be doing if they chose Viking.  

https://www.vikingrivercruisescanada.com/cruise-destinations/europe/grand-european-tour/2021-budapest-amsterdam/index.html?itineraryday=6

If you're in your 70s you will fit in with the demographics of most lines.  In your research be sure to look at what's included - tips, excursions, alcohol, etc.  Fares can be misleading. 

We aren't allowed to recommend TAs on Cruise Critic.  This article that @Host Jazzbeau pinned at the top may help you:

River Cruise TRAVEL AGENTS – Why You Need One and How to Find a Good One - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

• Thanks 1

I have done 3 Avalon cruises, so can't inorm on the other lines.  One reason we chose Avalon for our first cruise was that the ships are smaller, having fewer passengers, and the staterooms are bigger.  I honestly don't know if the number of people makes a difference but not knowing what to expect I decided to go with the smaller boat.  And we love the Panorama staterooms!  Our tour groups were generally less than 20, which we appreciated. Our last cruise was the Rhine and Moselle 2 years ago.  Since our last cruise, Avalon had added  a person(can't remember what he was called) who lead active excursions like a hike through a winery or a bike trip during free times.  He also led either yoga or cardio sessions in the lounge each morning.

While we arent allowed to make TA referrals here, I can tell you that they can make a difference.  Our TA gave us a 10% discount off the list price of the cruise (before Avalon discount), so make sure to ask what discount they offer.  We were scheduled to take a Chrismas Market cruise in Dec 2020.  Our TA was very helpful in re-booking our trip for December 2021.  All we had to do was tell her which cruise we wanted and she did all the work!

• 2 weeks later...

We did a similar, but not exact trip a number of years ago with Grand Circle.  Their Great Rivers trip is from Amsterdam to Vienna, a little short of Budapest on the Danube.  Cost is considerably less than Viking.  We've loved every trip with GCT.  Great people, and they treat their travelers very well.

https://www.gct.com/trips/river-cruises/europe/the-great-rivers-of-europe/2021/itineraries?icid=global:itineraries:europe-by-river-cruise:sge2021

River Cruise advisor has a great breakdown of most of the lines by price.  They compare everything and give you a true picture of what your per diem per day will be.  Check it out.  AmaWaterways is another one you should check out, as they have active excursions.

Circee you’ve most probably got information overload by now so make a pros and cons list things will gradually seem clearer. By the way I’m a veteran of eight Scenic cruises and until I run out of there itineraries I’ll stick with them. Good luck

• Like 2