New Origin/Galapagos: June/July Reports/Details??

TLCOhio

Have good friends from here in Central Ohio who are getting ready on Aug. 7 to do their first sailing with Silversea.  Previously, they have just done larger, more mass-market sailings.  BUT, both of them are very experienced with a wide, wide range of international adventures.   I have warned them about getting totally spoiled and loving these smaller, more personal experiences by sailing with Silversea.  They will be on the new Silver Origin and I am seeking any feed-back, tips, secrets, suggestions, etc., to share with my friends about this ship, the Galapagos, etc.  Anybody been on these pioneering June and July sailings on the Silver Origin?

For their early August sailing, this ship will be at only 75% capacity.  That will be nice with only 70-75 passengers on this new and spacious ship.  I have shared about the opportunities to do special order dining delights, using the Butler, how the staff likes to please and soar for customer needs/interests, etc.  

How did these initial sailings on the Origin go in June and July?  Any hiccups?  How was the staff, including the folks leading the land and sea excursions?  Food quality and variety?  Any special, most-loved dining treats?  Mix of passengers?  Most from U.S.?  Or, a wider, UK, Europe, international mix?  Age groups most there for these sailings, older, younger, more mixed?  What most loved experience and most surprising?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry, 

There is a fellow on board right now that posts pics with little to no commentary and doesn’t answer most questions.  Also, most pics are of the landscape, not of the ship.  

I’ve attached three suite pics for your review.  
CBF3D139-7174-4D9B-BF8B-20DFA67D2E3E.jpeg.5403dd804c542814614750f924dc2623.jpeg

The new indoor balcony seems really, really odd to me.

A3DF8830-295B-49E6-9A5E-F76B913DC98C.jpeg.bf1215e94b407978f1f4503e0c29c8bf.jpeg

3544C22C-B7F7-49A0-AC37-E4FC560F3CE8.jpeg.51507f1210729f7203b3cacd19976b82.jpeg

• Like 1

Someone has posted a bad review from the first voyage. I found it here>>> Silver Origin Cruise Ship: Review, Photos & Departure Ports on Cruise Critic. I don't think it is every great to go on the "first voyage" on a brand new ship, and especially during a pandemic. Someone posted more favorable comments on the Facebook Silversea Passengers Group. We are going in December. Hopefully they work out the kinks by then. 

• Thanks 1

You are right!  First voyage, new ship that was delivered year before.  From what I see after that first sailing gets better each time!  Cruise critic does not seem to have as many comments/reviews for Origin.  Smaller ship, fewer guests.  We are so looking forward to our August sailing!  Will let you know.

20 hours ago, RachelG said:

We will be onboard Aug 27.  So too late to answer questions for your friends, but I too am very curious about how things are going so far.  

Appreciate ALL of these various comments, posting and follow-ups.  Keep it coming!! Is there any way to access that private Facebook passenger thread without needing to go through all of the "hoops" connected with FB?

For RachelG, I will do a de-briefing of my Central Ohio friends after they complete their Aug. 8 Galapagos sailing on the Silver Origin.  Then, I will try to share here some of their impressions, insights, etc.  

Agree that the sink across from the sofa seems a little "different" and/or strange.  Sorry to hear that the initial Origin has some challenges.  BUT, as noted, that is to be expected.  It takes some time to get things organized and running smoothly.   

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,619 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Is there any way to access that private Facebook passenger thread without needing to go through all of the "hoops" connected with FB?

No.  You not only must be a user of Facebook, but ALSO a member of the private Silversea Passengers group.

• Like 2

Food pics from a passenger on board Silver Origin tonight.

First Course: Octopus Carpaccio

C2D8EC40-6EBC-4CDE-B2DF-DA7D61CFF6AF.thumb.jpeg.1bfe75e2682abb273f80acc989830d65.jpeg

Second Course: Pansanella Salad

D76BF830-5B94-491B-A405-BB2A6D502B5C.thumb.jpeg.7c568c8fafdff09f8df63c2e440b8795.jpeg

Third Course: Ecuadorian Prawns w/Risotto 

CCCF822E-70BF-461E-9A72-4B7D4F4CDF59.thumb.jpeg.250d5ddd97b5392ee178536e4c70945b.jpeg

Fourth Course: Tiramisu 

BD30B2AE-D694-411F-B144-8C11C925CB9C.thumb.jpeg.1af1ded7fe34924324c5a123d5af150d.jpeg

Does anyone else think the food seems lost in the monster plates?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

C2D8EC40-6EBC-4CDE-B2DF-DA7D61CFF6AF.thumb.jpeg.1bfe75e2682abb273f80acc989830d65.jpeg

D76BF830-5B94-491B-A405-BB2A6D502B5C.thumb.jpeg.7c568c8fafdff09f8df63c2e440b8795.jpeg

CCCF822E-70BF-461E-9A72-4B7D4F4CDF59.thumb.jpeg.250d5ddd97b5392ee178536e4c70945b.jpeg

BD30B2AE-D694-411F-B144-8C11C925CB9C.thumb.jpeg.1af1ded7fe34924324c5a123d5af150d.jpeg

Well, might possibly be useful if you're a messy eater; apart from that it looks really quite unbalanced and not attractive.

And I bet those monster platters aren't even hot, so the food will be cold even if it was meant to be hot. That's a failure of 'fine cuisine' in my opinion.

PS Am I the only one who thought that one of the salads in Atlantide on the Muse which was served perched around the rim of a huge shallow bowl-type platter was utterly ridiculous? First thing I always did was to push it all down into the centre of the platter. Even when I was dining with David B. He had the grace not to look too pained about that.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Well, might possibly be useful if you're a messy eater; apart from that it looks really quite unbalanced and not attractive.

And I bet those monster platters aren't even hot, so the food will be cold even if it was meant to be hot. That's a failure of 'fine cuisine' in my opinion.

PS Am I the only one who thought that one of the salads in Atlantide on the Muse which was served perched around the rim of a huge shallow bowl-type platter was utterly ridiculous? First thing I always did was to push it all down into the centre of the platter. Even when I was dining with David B. He had the grace not to look too pained about that.

Jolly wasn’t that salad called farm something or other??? DH just had a salad in Atlantide called mushroom something, he called it a mushroom wreath. And yes, it was all on the edge of the plate.

Did look like a wreath, and he did push it all to the center of the dish, to the vacant space. Hahahahaha.

He devoured it.

Hi Spins,

The first thing I thought of when I saw the salad round the edge of the plate was WHY?

The second was whose fingers had put it all there? Couldn't have been done with tongs.

PS You led the charge to abandon ship - the Dawn - not a sinking ship but an unsunk, ie unbuilt, ship. Sorry not to see you all or be on the new ship, but I do prefer my ships built.

PPS OP, sorry, got a bit off topic.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Menu

Appreciate these continued, helpful comments and follow-ups.  Keep it coming!!  Very interesting.  Have shared the Silver Origin menu with our Central Ohio friends.  For me, I would be challenged by the choice in picking between the Osso Buco versus the Ecuadorian Prawns with seafood risotto.  Rough, but fun choice??!!??  Can't loose either way!!  Maybe do both?

Have a couple of follow-up questions.  DRESS/Clothing requirements?  Apparently in flying to the Galapagos, you are limited to just one suit case per person.  What are the dress codes for these type of expedition cruises?  Any formal nights?  Required to have a sport coat in the dining room on certain or all nights?

UNDERWATER Sights/Options?  Is having a decent underwater camera for this sailing in the Galapagos nice to have?  Not as important?  Or, an absolute must-have?  Know this is not the Great Barrier Reef, but how good are the underwater sights in doing the Galapagos?

Am I correct that for doing sailing in the Galapagos, that there will be many very good Ecuadorian seafood options, but that the quality of the beef and some other traditional items might be a little more limited?  What are the most loved and unique Ecuadorian dining options to try and experience?

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog on the Silver Cloud. At 51,497 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

4 hours ago, jollyjones said:

That was my first thought… someone in purchasing needs to source some small Ecuadorian plates for a better presentation of the menu’s dishes.  The monster platters just look out of place, and don’t showcase the food, in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Apparently in flying to the Galapagos, you are limited to just one suit case per person.  What are the dress codes for these type of expedition cruises?  Any formal nights?  Required to have a sport coat in the dining room on certain or all nights?

These are expedition cruises. No formal nights, and jackets not required.

14 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Sorry to go off topic, but are these the typical SS portion sizes? I realize there's no limit on what can be ordered and devoured, and that no one goes hungry despite a comment to the contrary on another thread, but they appear to be a bit skimpy, although as stated the monster plates don't help.

49 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

These are expedition cruises. No formal nights, and jackets not required.

Great helpful info.  Have shared with our friends here in the Columbus area.  Keep it coming with any and all info, tips, ideas, suggestions, etc.  

17 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I am reminded of a fancy restaurant that my brothers wife insisted we go to with them.  After dinner, on the way home, we stopped for a burger!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

I am reminded of a fancy restaurant that my brothers wife insisted we go to with them.  After dinner, on the way home, we stopped for a burger!

😜 I know what you mean.  Sounds like our meal at the French Laundry, which, by the way, also engaged in silly plating aesthetics, although their interpretation is a tad different:  a big plate with a tiny portion of food and sauce at one of the corners - not in the middle, mind you, that would be too banal and prosaic!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taxatty said:

Sorry to go off topic, but are these the typical SS portion sizes?

Yes, they are typical for a multi-course meal.  Those pics were from a 7-course meal.

Now you understand why I said I needed that chop in my La Terrazza pics.

On 7/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, TLCOhio said:

Have good friends from here in Central Ohio who are getting ready on Aug. 7 to do their first sailing with Silversea.  Previously, they have just done larger, more mass-market sailings.  BUT, both of them are very experienced with a wide, wide range of international adventures.   I have warned them about getting totally spoiled and loving these smaller, more personal experiences by sailing with Silversea.  They will be on the new Silver Origin and I am seeking any feed-back, tips, secrets, suggestions, etc., to share with my friends about this ship, the Galapagos, etc.  Anybody been on these pioneering June and July sailings on the Silver Origin?

For their early August sailing, this ship will be at only 75% capacity.  That will be nice with only 70-75 passengers on this new and spacious ship.  I have shared about the opportunities to do special order dining delights, using the Butler, how the staff likes to please and soar for customer needs/interests, etc.  

How did these initial sailings on the Origin go in June and July?  Any hiccups?  How was the staff, including the folks leading the land and sea excursions?  Food quality and variety?  Any special, most-loved dining treats?  Mix of passengers?  Most from U.S.?  Or, a wider, UK, Europe, international mix?  Age groups most there for these sailings, older, younger, more mixed?  What most loved experience and most surprising?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

My hubby and I are sailing on the Origin a week from today (July 24th) so I will be sure to get back to you with our thoughts.  We are very excited and feel so fortunate we are able to travel again.  We have been on Silversea and Seabourn and we love both.  

• Thanks 1