Italy officially bans cruise ships from Venice effective August 1st

kazu

15 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Just got confirmation today from our HAL PCC via phone call that the Eurodam WILL be using Porto Maghera in lieu of "Venice" for the Oct 6-18 2021 cruise. Tenders will be ferrying passengers in to town for excursions etc.

Interesting.  Friends who are sailing Sept. 12, and we (Sept. 24) on the Eurodam haven't been told anything definitively. Only that it "may be Maghera".  Our PCC, who has been with HAL for decades, hasn't heard anything yet...

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Interesting.  Friends who are sailing Sept. 12, and we (Sept. 24) on the Eurodam haven't been told anything definitively. Only that it "may be Maghera".  Our PCC, who has been with HAL for decades, hasn't heard anything yet...

Our itinerary still shows "Venice" not "Venice (Porto Maghera)" like you would expect. I don't know how long our PCC has been with HAL but I'm guessing it hasn't been decades like yours so I don't know where he gets his info. Again though, this is for the Oct 6-18 sailing so maybe the earlier cruises haven't been figured out yet?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Did the PCC mention about embarkation etc?  Seriously considering booking this cruise and have booked hotel in Mestre for pre cruise.  Have you heard if we would need to make our own way to Marghera or will HAL assemble embarkees (sp?) in the passenger terminal on Venice Island?

We didn't ask specifically but it sounds like we will process in at the Venice cruise terminal and then tenders will take us to the ship.  Passengers who are already on the ship when it docks in Marghera will be tendered over to the city.

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

Our itinerary still shows "Venice" not "Venice (Porto Maghera)" like you would expect. I don't know how long our PCC has been with HAL but I'm guessing it hasn't been decades like yours so I don't know where he gets his info. Again though, this is for the Oct 6-18 sailing so maybe the earlier cruises haven't been figured out yet?

That could be, but since our cruise goes to Venice on Oct 6 and 18 like yours does, I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything. (Ours is Sept 24-Oct 18).
Oh well, we plan to go anyway and made final payment yesterday!

I think the bottom line is that cruise ships go to Venice because people who buy Med cruises want to go there.  Venice will remain the draw.   Just as Florence or Rome is a draw for cruisers.

I hardly think that banning large ships will have any appreciable impact on tourism in Venice.    This is not some small island in the Caribbean that is dependent on cruise business.   Just as well....when one looks at what has happened to St. Thomas.   Nor a Dubrovnik, Santorini, or Mykonos.

IMHO cruise lines will continue to operate as many itineraries into Venice because that it what appeals to customers.

Besides,  Venice will be the draw on the itinerary list.  With the actual dock in small print.  Just as Bangkok is on Asian cruises.

Edited by iancal

32 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

That could be, but since our cruise goes to Venice on Oct 6 and 18 like yours does, I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything. (Ours is Sept 24-Oct 18).
Oh well, we plan to go anyway and made final payment yesterday!

Yes, we hadn't heard anything either so we specifically CALLED our PCC to ask the questions.  We are getting close to final payment and wanted answers so we called him.

23 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Yes, we hadn't heard anything either so we specifically CALLED our PCC to ask the questions.  We are getting close to final payment and wanted answers so we called him.

DH also called our PCC yesterday, as he made our final payment. He said they haven’t been told yet. Since Venice isn’t a huge reason we booked, it’s all good. 
🤷‍♀️

It may be worth baring in mind that Marghera IS in the municipality of Venice and therefore HAL is within its rights to continue to call it Venice. It may not be as close to the centre as we are used to but it is still Venice.

Knowing the Italians they will have water buses and water taxes running from there to St Marc's Square 'pronto'

UPDATE: Concerning Eurodam Oct 6-18, 2021 sailing.  Just got off the phone with our PCC and he said that the plan now is to actually have temporary embarkation services set up at the Porto Marghera dock. There were rumors of having everything done at the Venice port terminal and then being transported to the ship after check-in there, but the word this morning from him is no, embarkation processing will be done at the Porto Marghera dock.  This is actually good news because it saves time and hassle.

14 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

UPDATE: Concerning Eurodam Oct 6-18, 2021 sailing.  Just got off the phone with our PCC and he said that the plan now is to actually have temporary embarkation services set up at the Porto Marghera dock. There were rumors of having everything done at the Venice port terminal and then being transported to the ship after check-in there, but the word this morning from him is no, embarkation processing will be done at the Porto Marghera dock.  This is actually good news because it saves time and hassle.

I noticed that Mestre hotels increased prices last night.  The one we have booked for 2 nights prior to October 6th has increased by about $38 per night.  Inside information??

• 3 weeks later...

Just got an email from HAL  (Wed, Aug 18 at 5:17 PM):

(Exerpt)...   "...Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.   At this time, 12 day Mediterranean Empires on the ms Eurodam departing on October 6, 2021 is depart from the pier of Venezia terminal Passeggeri.  

Kind Regards,

Angela
Holland America Line

FYI

36 minutes ago, sleeg said:

(Exerpt)...   "...Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.   At this time, 12 day Mediterranean Empires on the ms Eurodam departing on October 6, 2021 is depart from the pier of Venezia terminal Passeggeri.  

Kind Regards,

Angela
Holland America Line

FYI

That sounds great. Totally different than what our PCC said 2 weeks ago but I like your answer better.  At this writing, we have not heard any different from anyone but when you think about it, in reality, if the port hasn't been changed, HAL really has no news to tell.

13 hours ago, sleeg said:

Kind Regards,

Angela
Holland America Line

FYI

Yea, lots of luck with that!  Absurd to send something everyone knows is wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Yea, lots of luck with that!  Absurd to send something everyone knows is wrong.

I guess "everyone" doesn't know it's wrong, including HAL.  My guess is that the "ban" on cruise ships was just an empty threat to shake down the cruise industry for more money.  Maybe HAL paid the extra "protection" money and got a delay on Eurodam's fate?

31 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Then why is Eurodam not listed on  the VTP website?  Did MSC pay also?

749580189_Screenshot2021-08-19163341.thumb.png.7d232087d5533935abbde1dece090785.png

This is what it says on the MSC cruise website:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Cruises departing from Venice, from July 24, 2021 onward
In view of the latest decision taken by the Italian Government, please note from July 24, 2021 all Health & Safety checks (including health screening, temperature measurement and the antigen swab test) and check-in procedures (including luggage delivery), will regularly be held in Venice Maritime Station (Cruise Terminal), as per original travel program; all embarking guests will then be transferred by protected bus to Monfalcone (90 min transfer), where they will board the ship after a quick document check. No Health & Safety checks and check-in will be possible in Monfalcone. At disembarkation in Monfalcone at the end of the cruise, guests will be granted the return transfer to Venice (Cruise Terminal/Airport/Railway Station, as per original travel program).

10 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Cruises departing from Venice, from July 24, 2021 onward
In view of the latest decision taken by the Italian Government, please note from July 24, 2021 all Health & Safety checks (including health screening, temperature measurement and the antigen swab test) and check-in procedures (including luggage delivery), will regularly be held in Venice Maritime Station (Cruise Terminal), as per original travel program; all embarking guests will then be transferred by protected bus to Monfalcone (90 min transfer), where they will board the ship after a quick document check. No Health & Safety checks and check-in will be possible in Monfalcone. At disembarkation in Monfalcone at the end of the cruise, guests will be granted the return transfer to Venice (Cruise Terminal/Airport/Railway Station, as per original travel program).

I guess HAL is not quite as well-organized as MSC.  I got this from our PCC this morning:

"I was just getting ready to call you.  The sailing is currently on hold for air and booking confirmations.  I believe they are working on something related to Venice.  Flightease and booking confirmations should be released very soon.  I’ll let you know as soon as I hear more."
Edited by Vict0riann

9 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

I saw that ok!  Not sure I would be happy with a 90 minute bus ride to the ship.  on the Italy board it is mentioned that the Silver Seas Silver Shadow will be docking  at a ferry port close to Marghera, but looking at the ferry port online, it seems unlikely that it would be possible to dock there.

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I guess HAL is not quite as well-organized as MSC.  I got this from our PCC this morning:

"I was just getting ready to call you.  The sailing is currently on hold for air and booking confirmations.  I believe they are working on something related to Venice.  Flightease and booking confirmations should be released very soon.  I’ll let you know as soon as I hear more."

and I got this from ours!

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

We do not have any further information at this time regarding Venice, Although we hope to very soon.

I can extend your option for another week. Hopefully by then we will get further clarification on what will be happening with our Venice cruises.

Interesting - everything seems to be on hold.  There is another thread with the Cruise News that Rotterdam is starting up in Fort Lauderdale on November  3 -  no mention of her TA.  Lots of changes going on.  (And the TA is not on the HAL listings any more, either, but that may just be temporary while they sort things out.)

My TA told me a month ago that if they couldn’t find a solution for Venice that  our cruise (Sept 12) might be cancelled.  Just a guess on her part but she talks to HAL daily so who knows what the internal rumblings are. I guess we will all know in time but it’s alarming that people are being told different things.   The last I heard was that they were working on schedules and affected people would be emailed.  That was 2 weeks ago when I called HAL directly. 

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

I guess "everyone" doesn't know it's wrong, including HAL.  My guess is that the "ban" on cruise ships was just an empty threat to shake down the cruise industry for more money.  Maybe HAL paid the extra "protection" money and got a delay on Eurodam's fate?

Considering that the ban was passed by the Italian central government, not the municipality, I doubt that.

I would wager that even if passengers do check in there, the ship will not be docked there.

There is a possibility that HAL may check in people at the pier in Venice and then bus people to the ship if the check in facilities are not complete in Marghera or if they want to minimize the impact on existing passenger travel plans