Italy officially bans cruise ships from Venice effective August 1st

kazu

16 minutes ago, bennybear said:

It’s probably my fault as I booked flights to Venice yesterday.

That probably was the reason ok! 😉

Must confess, I spent yesterday looking at a cruise from Venice.  Hotels selected, flights researched and had more or less decided to pull the trigger, but will stop now until there is further clarification.🙄

• Like 1

Just now, VMax1700 said:

That probably was the reason ok! 😉

Must confess, I spent yesterday looking at a cruise from Venice.  Hotels selected, flights researched and had more or less decided to pull the trigger, but will stop now until there is further clarification.🙄

Probably a good idea!  The only saving grace is I could always happily visit Venice,   And since the cruise is to Israel, it’s anyone’s guess if it actually will be a go.  

And  if I don’t book it will be impossible to get point travel.  🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

At least Trieste has a train service to/ from Venice.  I don't think Ravenna is as accessible?

I believe it does but I bet there is a train change in Padua.  Either way, we would pass.  I agree that Ravenna does have beautiful mosaics but that port should not be sold as Venice.

How long have we been subjected to rumors and proposed legislation to eliminate/reduce the size of cruise ships from sailing to their usual terminals in Venice?  

I am NOT doubting the environmental reasons for those who want to see this happen.  Yet, nothing ever seems to really happen.  I would suggest that those who are concerned about this issue pour yourself a glass of a good quality of Italian wine of your choice and have a pleasant evening.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

How long have we been subjected to rumors and proposed legislation to eliminate/reduce the size of cruise ships from sailing to their usual terminals in Venice?  

I am NOT doubting the environmental reasons for those who want to see this happen.  Yet, nothing ever seems to really happen.  I would suggest that those who are concerned about this issue pour yourself a glass of a good quality of Italian wine of your choice and have a pleasant evening.  

Sounds like a great idea!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Personally, I am not concerned.  I was sharing as I know it will affect some people.

And considering this idict comes from Rome, not Venice, I think it was worth posting and worth merit.  What has been long suspected will come to pass, I think.

But my crystal ball gets very fuzzy when it comes to cruising and cruise itineraries. 😉 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nocl said:

Considering the Maghera is also located in the Venice Lagoon, not sure if it is a suitable port, or if it will need to be a port actually outside of the Venice Lagoon.

Marghera has a separate channel and passage through the barrier islands, on the south end of the lagoon.  That option is fairly straightforward, though there is still a question of the environmental impact of the megaships on that route as well. 

There is also a disused and silted channel from Marghera to the existing cruise docks which could potentially be used to bring ships around the back way to Venice (after dredging).  My impression, though, is that there is a lot of concern that dredging in this old channel might stir up a lot of nasty industrial waste from 40-60 years ago and so there is not much chance of this happening.   

I guess we will be waiting to see what unfolds. We have a Round trip Venice sailing on Hal that follows a week long round trip sailing also out of Venice on Seabourn in June 2022.

Edited by madera1

Aliaschief - ships of MSC and Costa depart regularly on cruises from Trieste. The QE2 was a regular caller as well. And don’t forget, the Rotterdam was originally supposed to depart from Trieste on her maiden voyage next month.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Aliaschief - ships of MSC and Costa depart regularly on cruises from Trieste. The QE2 was a regular caller as well. And don’t forget, the Rotterdam was originally supposed to depart from Trieste on her maiden voyage next month.

Thanks! Good to know.

18 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Jacqui.  Our Sept-Oct. itinerary has us in Venice twice and ending there...waiting to hear what will happen now.

I hope you get to experience sailing in/out of Venice.  It was a highlight of our trip, especially when they played Bocelli's "Time To Say Goodbye" when leaving Venice.  

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

It’s a two hour train ride to Venice from Trieste.

19 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It’s a two hour train ride to Venice from Trieste.

And a three hours plus train ride from Venice S. Lucia to Ravenna.  Bologna or Ferrara seems to be the stations for changes.  No direct trains.

Trieste has fast trains and premium seating available (luggage space) whereas Ravenna has part of the journey on regional trains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silversneakers said:

I hope you get to experience sailing in/out of Venice.  It was a highlight of our trip, especially when they played Bocelli's "Time To Say Goodbye" when leaving Venice.  

Thank you.  We have sailed out of Venice before, so this wouldn't have been the first time -- although we'd love to see it again, we're ok if we don't.

I wonder if it feasible for cruise ships to anchor outside of the lagoon and tender guests to St Mark's Square?  Maybe it is too far to be a practical tender ride.

It is not really what I would want (you really need more time in Venice and I was looking forward to that on a cruise that embarks from Venice in 2022).  But for a lot of people, a one day trip would at least cross Venice off their bucket list.

Perhaps I am biased because my family is from Trieste. Trieste is Italy / Austria/ Slovenia all rolled into one - very tourist worthy, and an undiscovered secret. The cruise ships dock right in the heart of the city, across from the incredible Savoia Excelsior hotel, right near Piazza Unita d’Italia - the largest piazza in Italy - and all within walkable distance of the train station.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Perhaps I am biased because my family is from Trieste. Trieste is Italy / Austria/ Slovenia all rolled into one - very tourist worthy, and an undiscovered secret. The cruise ships dock right in the heart of the city, across from the incredible Savoia Excelsior hotel, right near Piazza Unita d’Italia - the largest piazza in Italy - and all within walkable distance of the train station.

I have been intrigued by Trieste and frankly, if I were on a cruise that was visiting there I’d happily explore it rather than go to Venice.  In all fairness, I have to say we’ve done Venice extensively and other unique locations would be more appealing than returning to Venice and the hassle of travelling.  JMO.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have been intrigued by Trieste and frankly, if I were on a cruise that was visiting there I’d happily explore it rather than go to Venice.  In all fairness, I have to say we’ve done Venice extensively and other unique locations would be more appealing than returning to Venice and the hassle of travelling.  JMO.

I feel the same way.  Some on our roll call are not giving up yet on Venice, it will be interesting to see how this is handled.  No matter what, we're ok with whatever as long as the cruise isn't cancelled. 😉  

• Like 2

I will be perfectly happy if our cruise starts in Trieste instead of Venice, and I won't blame @bennybear!  At the moment, we are supposed to overnight in Venice and leave at noon the next day, which would be interesting, as we have only left after dark in the past.    Many on the roll call, however, have mentioned the hotels they are staying at in Venice, they will be disappointed, or perhaps just make the necessary changes.  We are flying into Venice the day of, from England (if they will have us), so I'm not sure how it is all going to work out.  Life is an adventure!

• Like 2

I want to show some love for Ravenna. It's a marvelous small city, very walkable, with a king's ransom of the most beautiful mosaics from the period of late antiquity -- early Christianity. Much earlier and in greater quantity than anywhere else I've seen. The food is also fantastic. 

The cruise port for Ravenna, Porto Corsini, is about a 15-20 minute pleasant drive from the city center.

Due to the amount of time needed to get to/from Venice, I wouldn't view Venice as a "day trip" option from Ravenna. But easily done if one wants to spend time in Venice before or after one's cruise.

Edited to add:  Actually, I take it back. Let the ships go to Trieste. I'd rather keep Ravenna as it is...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 6