Italy bans almost all cruise ships in Venice

ECCruise

1 minute ago, laurieb said:

Nor the American river cruise ships

You all are totally missing the point of the my post which was to show that Venice has excluded essentially all cruise ships from their port!!

MNGardens posted a very interesting and useful link that listed information on more than 400 passenger ships including the length of the ship.  I figured that if I converted the text table to an Excel spreadsheet, I might be able to extract some useful information from it relative to the new Venice rules.  I did the text to Excel conversion.  I then converted the Excel data which was in text format to numerical and cleaned up the cells as necessary.  It was then easy to extract the ships where the length was <590 feet. These were all the ships in the list with a length <590 without using any other selection parameters.

I did not bother to do a further extraction for ships that might actually be in Venice.  It should have been obvious to anyone who looked at the list that a small expedition ship, a Norwegian ferry or a ship from Russia was not going to be in Venice.  

I did this because I was interested and because it was sort of fun to play around with Excel.  I could have just converted the data table to an Excel table and posted that w/o doing any more work.  The next time I do something like this, I will just do it for myself and not bother to post it on CC.

DON

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

You all are totally missing the point of the my post which was to show that Venice has excluded essentially all cruise ships from their port!!

MNGardens posted a very interesting and useful link that listed information on more than 400 passenger ships including the length of the ship.  I figured that if I converted the text table to an Excel spreadsheet, I might be able to extract some useful information from it relative to the new Venice rules.  I did the text to Excel conversion.  I then converted the Excel data which was in text format to numerical and cleaned up the cells as necessary.  It was then easy to extract the ships where the length was <590 feet. These were all the ships in the list with a length <590 without using any other selection parameters.

I did not bother to do a further extraction for ships that might actually be in Venice.  It should have been obvious to anyone who looked at the list that a small expedition ship, a Norwegian ferry or a ship from Russia was not going to be in Venice.  

I did this because I was interested and because it was sort of fun to play around with Excel.  I could have just converted the data table to an Excel table and posted that w/o doing any more work.  The next time I do something like this, I will just do it for myself and not bother to post it on CC.

DON

I know that.  I was trying to point out also that very very few of those listed would go there. I'm sorry if I offended you; was not my intention.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with regards to the Venice pier; it's relatively new, or expanded, isn't it?

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, laurieb said:

I know that.  I was trying to point out also that very very few of those listed would go there. 

I wasn't picking on you specifically and if you felt that I was - I apologize.  I was responding to the several people who pointed out minor problems in my table.  Someone suggested that I post the table on Google docs or some other place where you get get the raw Excel file.  I don't use Excel docs.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can appreciate the disappointment on this thread, however another option (which I have no idea if it is feasable) is to get on a train at another location and arrive in Venice by train.  Stepping out of the Venice train station onto the grand canal is a wonderful experience.  Appreciate with the number of pax it might not be feasable but just a thought 🙂

• Like 1

This is total speculation but that has never stopped me...

I wonder if the ginormous cargo ship getting stuck diagonally in the Suez Canal put a huge fear into the Italian government. My fact free guess is that knowing how wide the shipping lane is within the overall canal and seeing the Suez situation, a cruise ship getting wedged seemed less like a hypothetical situation and more like just a matter of time.

39 minutes ago, MNgardens said:

This is total speculation but that has never stopped me...

I wonder if the ginormous cargo ship getting stuck diagonally in the Suez Canal put a huge fear into the Italian government. My fact free guess is that knowing how wide the shipping lane is within the overall canal and seeing the Suez situation, a cruise ship getting wedged seemed less like a hypothetical situation and more like just a matter of time.

More to do with these incidents that were the final straw.   That first one is the San Basilio pier building. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, laurieb said:

I know that.  I was trying to point out also that very very few of those listed would go there. I'm sorry if I offended you; was not my intention.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out with regards to the Venice pier; it's relatively new, or expanded, isn't it?

It certainly wasn’t my intention to offend either.

33 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

We were on Azamara when the first collision in Venice happened - ship had to dock in regular Cruise Port instead of San Basilio sadly.  

Where is the location of the second video ?

It was at the regular port I believe

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

We were on Azamara when the first collision in Venice happened - ship had to dock in regular Cruise Port instead of San Basilio sadly.  

Where is the location of the second video ?

A bit further down past St Marks Square. The canal turns a little bit and the ship lost control in a storm. About here on this map. 

Phil 

115A8753-E706-44A0-821D-FB4B282A2FAD.jpeg

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Thanks 1

Venice history - The remains of a Roman road have been found underwater! In the Roman era this area would have been above sea level. For an article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/23/ancient-roman-road-and-dock-discovered-in-venice-lagoon

In university I had majored in classical civilizations so all this is mental candy to me.

• Like 3