Alfredo's Pizzeria ?

monakayk

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

Pepperoni is not an Italian food stuff.

I didn't know it was purely American.  Long time ago I went on grand princess out of Galveston asked for a pepperoni and jalapeno pizza.  They got the pepperoni, but couldn't figure out what a jalapeno was for the life of em.  Getting jalapenos on something in texas is so common it surprised me at first.   That was our first cruise too lol.

I've read that, if you ask nicely, you can get pepperoni on your pizza at Alfredo's. It will likely sound odd to any young people but we never had pizza when I was young. My mom (not a great cook) used to by Chef Boyardee stuff. She meant to buy something else (can't remember what because I was maybe 9 years old at the time) and accidentally bought a box of stuff for a pizza. We had never heard of pizza. (Given that it was a Chef Boyardee thing it obviously wasn't much of a pizza) but we ate it and it was kind of okay. Hey... We had absolutely no point of reference. I remember thinking it was kind of weird.

Flash forward to when I was 14. I was (once again) living with my grandparents. They took me out for dinner at Red's Gay 90's. (sic) In those days it really did reference the "gay 90s which meant the 1890s.  It had "old timey" decor, sing-a-long videos from the proper era projected on the wall (complete with lyrics). Don't ask me what all of that had to do with pizza... We had pepperoni pizza and I was freaking in love. I had no idea there was something that wonderful in the world.

Later, when I was dating my future wife, pizza was one of the inexpensive things I could actually afford sometimes. (Yep, remember when pizza was inexpensive?) Of course pepperoni was still the big deal. Apparently it was never an Italian thing but here in the USA we loved our pepperoni. Being from California we didn't do the thin crust thing and didn't fold it over like the folks in New York. (I still think that is totally weird but then I can only imagine what NY folks think of California folks. Heck, I find them odd so...)

Pizza. One of the gifts from above. It's right up there with Tacos. I sometimes wonder how people can be racist. How could one survive without Italian food, Mexican food, Chinese food, etc.? Remember, you don't get those foods without those people and cultures. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

Alfredo's fortunately was open for lunch on embarkation day on all our Royal Princess sailings (last time February 2020).

We especially enjoy a lunch at Alfredo's on embarkation days when we can arrive at Alfredo's before there is a line -- such as when we're transit guests on B2Bs and can get there before the non-transit guests arrive.  😉

Our favorite Alfredo's pizza, every time:

Pizza Tarantina:  Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella, Mussels, Bay Shrimp, Roasted Garlic, Capers, Basil, Oregano.

---

Maybe there was just a particular issue going on that one day. It was always open for us on the Regal!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trey420 said:

No pepperoni, as a man raised on ninja turtles you must have pepperoni on the menu.  😉

The pizza in Alfredo's is very different from the pizza on Lido deck.  Alfredo's are individual size and tend to be more like pizza you find in Italy.  The deck pizza is the large American size where you get it by the slice and can get American items like pepperoni.  When we were in Italy some years ago, we had a diablo pizza that was more like pepperoni.

The minestrone soup at Alfredo's is delicious.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sewgood said:

Sometimes the waiters will go and get things from other restaurants/buffet if organised the night before and this is approved by the head section waiter.

This is usually done due to diet issues but hey for kids they may do it for them as well.

Ask nicely and you never know.

Kids menu items come from the same galley as the adult menu items. No extra effort by your dining room server.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Kids menu items come from the same galley as the adult menu items. No extra effort by your dining room server.

Sorry Caribill for not making myself clear, I did mean the pizza from Alfredo's not the one on the kids menu as the OP asked if he could bring it into the main dinning room.

We ate on embarkment lunch and a few others times while on the Sky.  I would ask for pepperoni, pineapple, mushroom and extra cheese and sometimes we would share with each half having different toppings.  They would say, no problem whatever you want on it.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:25 PM, monakayk said:

Is Alfredo's Pizzeria free? Is it open on embarkation day for lunch? Does anyone have a menu that can share? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is free. Personally, we found the Pizza on the Regal pretty awful. To those who say it's wonderful, I ask have really ever had truly good pizza?

10 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Yes, it is free. Personally, we found the Pizza on the Regal pretty awful. To those who say it's wonderful, I ask have really ever had truly good pizza?

If the only time you had the pizza was on one Regal trip, I would suggest maybe you haven't really had Princess pizza.  It's possible to get a bad one once in awhile.  I am not a big fan of the Alfredo's pizza, but I do like the Lido stuff.  Of course, "a truly good pizza," like everything else, is in the eye (or mouth) of the beholder.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rbtan said:

I know we are not talking about carnival. I must say. The worst pizza on the seas. Always burnt. Some love it burnt, not me. I love Alfredo's, I also really enjoy the pizza in the buffet on some of the Royal ships. Most of the time, any of them will make it your way. Just ask. Attaching a picture of the great Carnival pizza.

Carnival burnt pizza.jpg

4 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I know we are not talking about carnival. I must say. The worst pizza on the seas. Always burnt. Some love it burnt, not me. I love Alfredo's, I also really enjoy the pizza in the buffet on some of the Royal ships. Most of the time, any of them will make it your way. Just ask. Attaching a picture of the great Carnival pizza.

Carnival burnt pizza.jpg

We just thought the Pizzas were awful. They did look great, but just totally devoid of flavor. We ate there a few times & it was always the same. Same with the international bistro(sure I'm wrong with the name!) Food looked great but was tasteless. Many agreed with us. We've never been on Carnival. We prefer a little more formality & you won't find it there!

Edited by rbtan
additions

7 hours ago, rbtan said:

We just thought the Pizzas were awful. They did look great, but just totally devoid of flavor. We ate there a few times & it was always the same. Same with the international bistro(sure I'm wrong with the name!) Food looked great but was tasteless. Many agreed with us. We've never been on Carnival. We prefer a little more formality & you won't find it there!

I wonder if you are a smoker?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, trey420 said:

I didn't know it was purely American.  Long time ago I went on grand princess out of Galveston asked for a pepperoni and jalapeno pizza.  They got the pepperoni, but couldn't figure out what a jalapeno was for the life of em.  Getting jalapenos on something in texas is so common it surprised me at first.   That was our first cruise too lol.

Next time ask for  pepperoncini as that is the spicy pepper commonly used in Italian cooking.

In fact if you ask for pepperoni in Italy you will more than likely be served pepperoncini as they will think you have mispronounced it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rbtan said:

Yes I have had really good pizza. Have you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kay S said:

If the only time you had the pizza was on one Regal trip, I would suggest maybe you haven't really had Princess pizza.  It's possible to get a bad one once in awhile.  I am not a big fan of the Alfredo's pizza, but I do like the Lido stuff.  Of course, "a truly good pizza," like everything else, is in the eye (or mouth) of the beholder.

My wife and I find the Lido deck pizza to be pretty awful. Not much sauce. Not much taste. We usually try a slice to see if it's gotten any better but often don't finish the slice because it's so bad. We do eat Alfredo's pizza if there is one on the ship. We share one because that's just about the perfect amount for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

My wife and I find the Lido deck pizza to be pretty awful. Not much sauce. Not much taste. We usually try a slice to see if it's gotten any better but often don't finish the slice because it's so bad. We do eat Alfredo's pizza if there is one on the ship. We share one because that's just about the perfect amount for us.

My general impression of the Lido food is that it is for those with no palate but only are concerned with filling their stomachs.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Thrak said:

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Yes I have had really good pizza. Have you?

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I wonder if you are a smoker?

Yes, just not on Princess. Was still pretty bad on our 2020 Hawaii trip. No, never been a smoker. Main dining room food was fine in Regal. On the Star not so much. Pizza was bland on both.

We always order a calzone and a pizza. Hostess tries to get us a table by a window. And then the waiter talked us into getting dessert (Tiramisu). Great way to break your diet on the first day.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:01 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Here’s a PDF of the multi course Alfredo’s Pizzeria on Royal-Class ships. Other ships with Alfredo’s have been pizza only.

rp-alfredos_pizzeria-23-may-13.pdf 114.31 kB · 175 downloads

I think we had other types of pizza on the Majestic. I do remember that some of the choices seemed odd to my Midwest palate but I'm thinking pepperoni was a choice. 

• Thanks 1