Culinary Classes

geoherb

I took one of the culinary classes on the Westerdam several years ago. It was so much fun that I forced DH to take another with me when we were on the Zuiderdam. These were the classes that cost around $30. At the first one, we made the food and then ate it. By the time DH and I took the second one, we got to make food--but then they served us the same menu in the Pinnacle Grill and probably threw out the food we had cooked. Both were fun experiences. Were these classes still offered on the last HAL cruises and do you think they'll be continued when cruising gets back full force?

Below is a photo of our dinner tonight. I adapted the curried mango butter from the first class to use peaches instead. 

shrimp skewers with curried peach butter.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zelker said:

To my knowledge they no longer offer these.  Too bad.

Do they still have the culinary hostess? They have been my favorite part of our HAL Cruises.

2 hours ago, zelker said:

To my knowledge they no longer offer these.  Too bad.

That's a shame.  I took a few of the session and they were fun.  We even got to keep a lovely cotton apron.  I remember taking one class during a storm.  All the counters were covered with Saran wrap and the pots were tied down with the same.  We were making New Orleans beignets in the deep fryer and I was so scared the fryer was going to land on the floor and the hot fat would splash some participants.

• Like 1

I know the association with America's Test Kitchen ended sometime even before the shutdown. I haven't taken the classes but would be interested with the right set up.  It would be great if HAL starts some other cooking program as people seem to have enjoyed the classes!

~Nancy

• Like 1

I loved those small classes and went to the front desk on embarkation day to reserve a spot since they were so popular. Everyone wore chef hats and I still have the aprons. We were divided into sub-groups to produce elements of the meal and I actually learned culinary techniques. Some of the chefs were excellent teachers, but I recall one Pinnacle Grill chef who had recently joined the ship and seemed less than thrilled to be stuck doing the class. 

But those seemed to go by the wayside. I went to some of the later culinary demonstrations in the theater where a chef demonstrated a recipe for the audience partnered with a Lifestyle Hostess - I remember one who kept interrupting the chef with a lot of unrelated questions and trying to be funny. The attendees could pick up tasting portions in little paper cups on the way out. 

That was pre-America’s Test Kitchen, which is also gone. So who knows now? I’d like to use them utilize Club Orange (which has an open kitchen and does not serve lunch) for some small-group culinary events, guest chef lunches, and so on. Especially when there are lots of sea days!

• Like 3

America’s Test Kitchen did go away, not sure what if anything will replace it.  We used to go until the health inspectors made them stop giving out samples.  If you are five star you are supposed to get a free class but they were usually not very interesting.  Things like how to cook an egg.

Our cruises were before the fleetwide implementation of America's Test Kitchen on HAL ships. The last one was February 2017 on the Zuiderdam. So perhaps with the demise of the affiliation with America's Test Kitchen, HAL will return these classes. They always filled up quickly. I remember signing up the first day of our cruises. There were two or three different classes offered. 

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

Our cruises were before the fleetwide implementation of America's Test Kitchen on HAL ships. The last one was February 2017 on the Zuiderdam. So perhaps with the demise of the affiliation with America's Test Kitchen, HAL will return these classes. They always filled up quickly. I remember signing up the first day of our cruises. There were two or three different classes offered. 

I have 2 regrets in cruising - waiting until 2013 to try the Prinsendam

and waiting way too late to try the old Culinary workshop where we cooked.  It was fantastic and well worth the $$ and time.  I’d love to see it come back.

• Like 1