Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

19 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

OK Doc who loves to travel, What is going on?  Why are cruisers testing positive day 3 or so of the cruise?  If everyone tested negative where are the spreaders...crew, bus drivers, guides,  passengers?  Been following Covid for year plus and have not heard anything like this reported.

Agreed but not  worth my money and stress.  i shall wait 

• Like 1

We would like to share the following email from Viking we received 30 minutes ago. We will be flying out tonight to board the Viking Sky tomorrow. Hope all goes well with everyone whatever you choose to do. Stay safe and have a great and uneventful trip.

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/nvs/vrclogo_94x58.png

Iceland's Natural Beauty
Reykjavik to Reykjavik

Booking Number:

16JUL2021

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming voyage to Iceland. We want to take a moment to provide an update as you prepare for embarkation on Viking Sky.

You may be aware that earlier this week a fully vaccinated, asymptomatic guest produced a suspected positive PCR test result and was immediately isolated on board. Our health and safety protocol, which includes frequent non-invasive saliva PCR testing and contact tracing, worked exactly as it was designed—to detect any possible case so that it can be isolated, and a potential chain of transmission can be stopped immediately.

There have been no further positive test results and at this time all other guests are enjoying their remaining time on board Viking Sky as they continue their journey to Reykjavik. However, the itinerary was impacted when Iceland authorities decided to not allow shore excursions to proceed in three ports.

Since launching our Iceland sailings earlier this month, the case on Viking Sky is the first time we have had a suspected positive case on board and therefore also the first time that local Icelandic communities have dealt with such a situation. As we continue restarting operations, we must learn as we go—in partnership with our destinations. We are committed to working with the local authorities of the destinations in which we operate to smooth any kinks in the operational process, such as what has happened in Iceland this week.

Our Chief Health Officer, Vice Admiral Raquel C. Bono, M.D., has today arrived in Iceland to meet with officials and ensure our protocols are in sync. We are pleased that there is appreciation on both sides that Viking's robust and comprehensive protocols complement those in place in Iceland; together they will keep guests, crew and communities safe as we operate our schedule of Iceland sailings as planned this summer.

We have received confirmation from Iceland authorities, and we are pleased to notify you that that your cruise will proceed as planned. Rest assured that all staterooms and public areas of the ship will be fully sanitized, per normal procedures included in the Viking Health & Safety Program.

We look forward to welcoming you on board Viking Sky in Reykjavik and wish you a pleasant journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

OK Doc who loves to travel, What is going on?  Why are cruisers testing positive day 3 or so of the cruise?  If everyone tested negative where are the spreaders...crew, bus drivers, guides,  passengers?  Been following Covid for year plus and have not heard anything like this reported.

From the timing of the cases it appears that the folks that are testing positive picked the virus up on their way to Iceland since folks don’t normally test positive until three to four days after contacting the virus.  This is why most countries that require tests for unvaccinated folks do two tests three to five days apart.  Everyone is tested at the ship on day one.  On our trip in, I was amazed at the number of travelers that I saw in the airports without masks or with them not fully covering their mouth and nose.  I witnessed one person asking another person to put on their mask and the other person replied that they didn’t need to mask because they were vaccinated.  Strange times!

• Like 5

BrynMawrPA,

The phrase ”There have been no further positive test results” is referring to other passengers, correct? The “suspected positive” was confirmed by a second test, correct?

Thanks for the info!

WhooHoo! Jenna just announced that the ship has been cleared and shuttles are starting at 6 and the last shuttle returns at midnight!  

So as soon as we finish dinner at Manfredi’s we are headed into town. 

• Like 29

11 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

From the timing of the cases it appears that the folks that are testing positive picked the virus up on their way to Iceland since folks don’t normally test positive until three to four days after contacting the virus.  This is why most countries that require tests for unvaccinated folks do two tests three to five days apart.  Everyone is tested at the ship on day one.  On our trip in, I was amazed at the number of travelers that I saw in the airports without masks or with them not fully covering their mouth and nose.  I witnessed one person asking another person to put on their mask and the other person replied that they didn’t need to mask because they were vaccinated.  Strange times!

We have not been wearing our masks in our area of FL since receiving our 2nd vaccination.  You can bet if we still are permitted to go August 30 as scheduled we will be wearing our masks.  I washed 10 of mine yesterday.  We do still have to wear the masks at doctors offices.  I also dug my hand sanitizer out today to make certain I have plenty to take with me.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

WhooHoo! Jenna just announced that the ship has been cleared and shuttles are starting at 6 and the last shuttle returns at midnight!  

Happy for you and hope you have a pleasant evening and don't miss the shuttle.

• Like 2

Let me encourage everyone to think of others during these difficult times.  We are guests in the country of Iceland.  Yes, this COVID test is a 'real' positive. It was repeated, so not a result of cross-contamination, etc. When looking at the boards and state of origin of the passengers, it appears that up to 50% of the ship's population is from states where the Delta variant accounts for the majority of the current COVID infections.  This mutant variant is much more contagious than the original virus!  Also, look at the other demographic of the passengers - mostly over 60, and based on the epidemiology of this age group, up to 15 to 20% will have a decreased response to their vaccination.  Even with those in this age group, the Antibody titer can decrease to low levels by 6 months after the vaccination where it is possible to become infected with the Delta variant upon close contact.  Good news...the vaccination will prevent major disease (hospitalization, organ failure, or death).  Bad news, you CAN easily infect others around you as this is easily spread via respiratory droplets, even with talking.  Therefore your COVID test may be +, preventing your re-entry into the USA.  Worse, you could infect one of the Icelandic folks, and then this could be passed on to their children not currently eligible for the vaccine.  They could end up being quite ill - even needing a 'double lung transplant' or 'kidney transplant' as a result of the infection's damage. (at a cost of $1 million each).   It becomes clear why the Iceland authorities are concerned. This country may not have the infrastructure to handle all of these potential consequences of our behavior?   So again, let me encourage everyone to use the techniques 'that work' based on scientific evidence - masking and social distancing when not outdoors.  This is especially true for the flight to REK as the plane can be risky when not wearing a mask. It takes from 3-5 days from acquiring the virus until it shows up in a positive COVID PCR.  By day 10, the viral shedding ceases, and the patient is no longer infectious to others.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Enjoy 💖💖💖

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

We have not been wearing our masks in our area of FL since receiving our 2nd vaccination.  You can bet if we still are permitted to go August 30 as scheduled we will be wearing our masks.  I washed 10 of mine yesterday.  We do still have to wear the masks at doctors offices.  I also dug my hand sanitizer out today to make certain I have plenty to take with me.

We started masking 2 weeks before our upcoming cruise. Didn’t want to get exposed 5 days before we sail and maybe test positive day 1.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think you have to take a really hard look at the information that has been shared so far (because that is about all you are going to get) and decide if you are willing to go through what SKY is going through right now. 

There is no sense in trying to second guess what will happen on subsequent cruises. Either you are willing to put up with how things are being handled today or you aren't-- and if you aren't, then don't go.

I think that we will know a lot more tomorrow. If we (Jupiter) are allowed to disembark in Seydisfjodur, then there's some hope that things will improve. If not, then it's clear that a lot of cruises will skip a lot of ports. If Viking has to frequently cough up 50% vouchers, then future cruises may not run, so let's hope they convince the many Icelandic governmental entities to permit us entry tomorrow.

And let's hope they convince the weather to improve. 8-)

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

"Skál" Clay. We hope you enjoy an excellent evening in Reykjavik. 

Edited by Queenie1603
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrynMawrPA said:

We would like to share the following email from Viking we received 30 minutes ago. We will be flying out tonight to board the Viking Sky tomorrow. Hope all goes well with everyone whatever you choose to do. Stay safe and have a great and uneventful trip.

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/nvs/vrclogo_94x58.png

Iceland's Natural Beauty
Reykjavik to Reykjavik

Booking Number:

16JUL2021

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming voyage to Iceland. We want to take a moment to provide an update as you prepare for embarkation on Viking Sky.

You may be aware that earlier this week a fully vaccinated, asymptomatic guest produced a suspected positive PCR test result and was immediately isolated on board. Our health and safety protocol, which includes frequent non-invasive saliva PCR testing and contact tracing, worked exactly as it was designed—to detect any possible case so that it can be isolated, and a potential chain of transmission can be stopped immediately.

There have been no further positive test results and at this time all other guests are enjoying their remaining time on board Viking Sky as they continue their journey to Reykjavik. However, the itinerary was impacted when Iceland authorities decided to not allow shore excursions to proceed in three ports.

Since launching our Iceland sailings earlier this month, the case on Viking Sky is the first time we have had a suspected positive case on board and therefore also the first time that local Icelandic communities have dealt with such a situation. As we continue restarting operations, we must learn as we go—in partnership with our destinations. We are committed to working with the local authorities of the destinations in which we operate to smooth any kinks in the operational process, such as what has happened in Iceland this week.

Our Chief Health Officer, Vice Admiral Raquel C. Bono, M.D., has today arrived in Iceland to meet with officials and ensure our protocols are in sync. We are pleased that there is appreciation on both sides that Viking's robust and comprehensive protocols complement those in place in Iceland; together they will keep guests, crew and communities safe as we operate our schedule of Iceland sailings as planned this summer.

We have received confirmation from Iceland authorities, and we are pleased to notify you that that your cruise will proceed as planned. Rest assured that all staterooms and public areas of the ship will be fully sanitized, per normal procedures included in the Viking Health & Safety Program.

We look forward to welcoming you on board Viking Sky in Reykjavik and wish you a pleasant journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

We're sorry this week's 2 ships have been the guinea pigs with real challenges for these welcome back cruises but sure hope that by bringing in Viking's Chief Health Officer, they can get things back on track with Iceland for future cruisers. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

We started masking 2 weeks before our upcoming cruise. Didn’t want to get exposed 5 days before we sail and maybe test positive day 1.

I have a similar policy.  A few years ago, I went to CVS a few days before going on a cruise and someone was coughing and sneezing in the same aisle I was.  Three days later, I had a 103 degree fever on the ship.  Spent most of the cruise in bed.  Ever since, I isolate myself as much possible a week before I go on vacation.  We are now 10 days away from sailing so I won't go to the gym and if I go outside and/or am in public, I wear a mask.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I think that we will know a lot more tomorrow. If we (Jupiter) are allowed to disembark in Seydisfjodur, then there's some hope that things will improve. If not, then it's clear that a lot of cruises will skip a lot of ports. If Viking has to frequently cough up 50% vouchers, then future cruises may not run, so let's hope they convince the many Icelandic governmental entities to permit us entry tomorrow.

And let's hope they convince the weather to improve. 8-)

Sorry your weather has been lousy. Ours has been great. 

23 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

We're sorry this week's 2 ships have been the guinea pigs with real challenges for these welcome back cruises but sure hope that by bringing in Viking's Chief Health Officer, they can get things back on track with Iceland for future cruisers. 

Takes me to the Viking landing page. Can you snap a picture?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Takes me to the Viking landing page. Can you snap a picture?

their link still works for me so I copied and will paste below: 

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming voyage to Iceland. We want to take a moment to provide an update as you prepare for embarkation on Viking Sky.

There have been no further positive test results and at this time all other guests are enjoying their remaining time on board Viking Sky as they continue their journey to Reykjavik. However, the itinerary was impacted when Iceland authorities decided to not allow shore excursions to proceed in three ports.

Since launching our Iceland sailings earlier this month, the case on Viking Sky is the first time we have had a suspected positive case on board and therefore also the first time that local Icelandic communities have dealt with such a situation. As we continue restarting operations, we must learn as we go—in partnership with our destinations. We are committed to working with the local authorities of the destinations in which we operate to smooth any kinks in the operational process, such as what has happened in Iceland this week.

We look forward to welcoming you on board Viking Sky in Reykjavik and wish you a pleasant journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Incubation period is 4-14 days so it's likely the two people (on Sky & Jupiter) contracted the virus back at home or while in airports/travelling. Correct me if I'm wrong but Iceland doesn't require travellers to send negative pre-arrival covid test results before they travel to Iceland, like Bermuda does for all travellers coming to the island.

Just now, bluesea777 said:

Incubation period is 4-14 days so it's likely the two people (on Sky & Jupiter) contracted the virus back at home or while in airports/travelling. Correct me if I'm wrong but Iceland doesn't require travellers to send negative pre-arrival covid test results before they travel to Iceland, like Bermuda does for all travellers coming to the island.

No pre-testing requirements. Iceland discontinued the testing of inbound travelers on July 1st. 

12 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

No pre-testing requirements. Iceland discontinued the testing of inbound travelers on July 1st. 

Not that it would’ve made any difference because neither the person who tested positive on sky (reported day 5) or the one who tested positive on Jupiter (reported day4) tested positive when Viking did the first spit test on day 1. Likely neither one of these individuals would have tested positive at the airport.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Enjoy your evening in Reykjavik and have a safe flight home tomorrow. Your updates have been fantastic. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ellistravels said:

Thank you Clay and to others who have contributed factual reports here.  I’d rather know the truth so that I can make my own informed decisions on whether to continue with my plans.

ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NOTE …. Has anyone had a positive experience with any car rental companies in Reykjavik this summer?  We will attach a week to our cruise and my research so far is leading me to many “bankrupt” or “scary” reviews of car rental companies.  Safe travels to all.

We have been working with MyCar and find them very responsive and helpful. 

• Like 1