Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

1 minute ago, esther e said:

Darn autocorrect. of course it’s a Dala horse .  mine is red,as well as the decal on my car and my garden flag.  although I recently heard the color depends on the area of Sweden 🇸🇪.  Not sure of that though.

I just edited to add a picture of one from Stockholm.  Oh, I love them.  Glad you do too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, patchicago said:

Not that it would’ve made any difference because neither the person who tested positive on sky (reported day 5) or the one who tested positive on Jupiter (reported day4) tested positive when Viking did the first spit test on day 1. Likely neither one of these individuals would have tested positive at the airport.

Agree.  But since Iceland had 0 cases when they were requiring tests before flying and tests upon arrival (with up to 24 hour quarantine), I bet they go back to that.  Fine by me.

Heck, I could even see them coming up with mask requirements for tourist only.  

7 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Oh, OK.  Nothing special.  I'm just going to bring my cotton, duckbill (fitted style), colorful masks  with rubber stoppers for adjustment.  We wear them a lot where I live, even though we don't have to, with a few exceptions. But I wonder what "ultrasonic" paper is?  That's a new one. Maybe just a marketing ploy. 

Have you seen the UV robot anywhere?  

Enjoy Manfredi's and Reykjavik at night - although it may not feel like night if it's still light! Thanks to you and others on your cruise for keeping us informed. 

I only saw the robot inside by the gangway one day. 

7 hours ago, patchicago said:

I want to follow you on Insta! What is your username? Thanks!

@claynmike

• Like 2

We are off the ship and on the way to the airport so this will be my last Covid related post. Let’s hope this thread doesn’t have to be resurrected for another cruise. 

Thanks for all your kind words and happy sailing!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are off the ship and on the way to the airport so this will be my last Covid related post. Let’s hope this thread doesn’t have to be resurrected for another cruise. 

Thanks for all your kind words and happy sailing!

Safe trip Clay. Even with the issues it was a great cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, minka34 said:

(Jupiter)  (early docking 7am instead of the scheduled 8am)
Docked at Seydisfjordur for 1 hour.  We are cleared for shore trips! Bye!

Hopefully this will be the end of local panic about an on-board case. Sky (3rd sailing) missed 3 stops, Jupiter (1st sailing) missed 1.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, ValarieDennis said:

No pre-testing requirements. Iceland discontinued the testing of inbound travelers on July 1st. 

Discontinued only for vaccinated travelers. Unvaccinated pax still must test and quarantine for 5 days upon arrival.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

Viking Star appears to be heading to Iceland.  Not sure what she should have been doing but it was not Iceland. Does  anyone know why?  Could it be to do with the Covid problems on Sky and Jupiter?  

The star was supposed to be heading to England to do two more cruises around the UK. I do see that marine traffic says they’re heading to Iceland, interesting?

Tom

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 3:57 PM, Snit13 said:

Hoping and praying no other cruiser has the need for quarantine.  We don't sail until August 31 on Jupiter and I am reading all posts on 3 sites now and so sorry for those on current trip.  Hope he/she has trip insurance for possible assistance in paying for quarantine.

We’re supposed to be on that sailing too, from the U.K. We’re doubly vexed with the U.K. foreign office still “advising” against international cruises so insurance is void, and watching to see if the situation improves around managing positive cases. I love the Viking experience but if I want to spend a few days exclusively on board, I can do that here, I don’t have to fly to Iceland to do it! 

1 hour ago, kcpvwill said:

Viking Star appears to be heading to Iceland.  Not sure what she should have been doing but it was not Iceland. Does  anyone know why?  Could it be to do with the Covid problems on Sky and Jupiter?  

As I said in a different thread (the UK one) ...

21 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Not sure but the US bookings for Sky and Jupiter prove very successful and they are already or nearly sold out on the Iceland sailings - and maybe they need to reduce the pax count, so they're adding a third ship to the Iceland sailings to help with the demand.

Viking Orion's Bermuda Escape sailings proved very successful so they added 6 extra sailings. These aren't shown in the UK Viking. 

In other news several cruise lines are now disallowing passengers on their ships who, although have been double-jabbed, had mixture of AstraZeneca & Pfizer/Moderno shots.

Also, the active covid cases are spiking in the UK ... 

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

As I said in a different thread (the UK one) ...

Also, the active covid cases are spiking in the UK ... 

Perhaps it’s time to lock this thread, as it dealt with the 7/14 Sky trip and it’s by definition off topic now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I made 84 masks over a year ago for a mask making group in the DC area (distributed to groups who asked for them), and I made at least 25 for myself and spouse. So I really don't know why I'm asking this, BUT:  I read that people on one of the sailings got a care package in their room, and it contained more than the required test tubes!  It apparently included what was described as a "classy black mask."  So now I'm curious - has anyone on board received one?  

We got ten masks that are like the standard blue ones except black. I guess it would go well with my little black dress except I didn’t bring one. 😁. We got 4 tubes in our cabin. One for each of us for today and one apiece for tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrank said:

I am still interested in COVID issues for the Iceland Cruises.  Let's keep!  We will be there in 7 days, and want to keep close track of this issue, so we can be properly prepared.

i agree this link is valuable to upcoming travelers

• Like 5

Anyone who is no longer interested can opt out.  Why deny the rest of us the opportunity to interact and gleen information which may be helpful to us as we wait for our turn to cruise. Please, do not lock the thread.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

We wondered if it was transporting crew?

First UK cruise not until 7th August, we're booked for the 14th.🙂

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Anyone who is no longer interested can opt out.  Why deny the rest of us the opportunity to interact and gleen information which may be helpful to us as we wait for our turn to cruise. Please, do not lock the thread.

Since the title no longer represents the topic - COVID issues on Iceland/all Viking cruises, I thought a new thread would make it easier for everyone to find the important info you’re seeking.

No one is “denying’” anyone anything! 🙄

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Since the title no longer represents the topic - COVID issues on Iceland/all Viking cruises, I thought a new thread would make it easier for everyone to find the important info you’re seeking.

No one is “denying’” anyone anything! 🙄

Please post a link to the new thread. Thanks 

56 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I’m thinking a new thread for each cruise might make sense.

If not, the current LIVE thread is pretty all-inclusive.

There are threads for all of the cruises.  I also read and post on the thread for my August 31 cruise.

Peregrina651 set it up in her post weeks ago.  Go back to her post on Natural Beauty where we had been reading/posting and click on the post for your cruise week.

A passenger from one of the Viking cruises that experienced covid-related disruptions (Jupiter) posted a youtube video while the ship was in Akureyri commenting that the local authorities had questioned the ship's "covid protocols."  I wondered what that meant, since I was under the impression that the testing that Viking was doing was not required.  Does anyone have more info about these "protocol" concerns?