Judge dismisses lawsuit brought against RCCL

Just read that lawsuit brought by family of daughter who died when falling out of window, while being held by grandfather was dismissed by judge. Tragic event, but decision seems to be the right one....they say they will appeal.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Wiegand was in the care of her grandfather when she fell to her death through an open window in a children’s play area on a cruise ship docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in July 2019.

I REALLY wish that the people who write these articles would at least look at the pictures/videos of the area before they just cut-and-paste from the money-grabbing parents' statements via their ambulance-chasing lawyer.

In what way, shape, or form does this look like "a children's play area"????

39040354-9270467-Haunting_on_board_camer

• Like 25

I wasn't sure if one of the old threads would get bumped or if a new thread would start. 

There's really no need to rehash all of the incorrect info put forth by Anello, the Wiegands, Winkleman, or the media. At this point, people either know exactly what happened or they are creating a narrative in their head that isn't supported by facts. 

19 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I REALLY wish that the people who write these articles would at least look at the pictures/videos of the area before they just cut-and-paste from the money-grabbing parents' statements via their ambulance-chasing lawyer.

It's ironic that in addition to the article having incorrect information, it doesn't even spell Winkleman's name correctly. 🥴 (Winkelman vs Winkleman)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's ironic that in addition to the article having incorrect information, it doesn't even spell Winkleman's name correctly. 🥴 (Winkelman vs Winkleman)

Much easier to just call him the ambulance-chaser.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

? " ... falling out of window, " ?

Yep, right after her Grandpa stuck her out the window and let go of her, she fell.

Gravity.  It's the law.   

(sorry, couldn't resist... I'm in a mood today, I guess)

• Like 9

Shame the results of this suit will not get the same National exposure that their invalid claims received.  I'm actual surprised the result was noticed at all.  The judge appears to have so far as to say it was the grandfathers fault. 

Why can't a reporter now interview the Step Grandfather asking for comment and then splash it all over the evening news like they did when he claimed he thought there was glass in the window.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, sunonfire said:

Such a sad story. While I can understand why the parents have chosen not to view CCTV of Chloe’s fall, if they did they would not try to sue/appeal. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Such a sad story. While I can understand why the parents have chosen not to view CCTV of Chloe’s fall, if they did they would not try to sue/appeal. 

That is what I do not understand.

Surely someone who knows these parents has viewed the footage and can explain to them why suing Royal Caribbean for damages is not appropriate uh this situation. This was entirely the fault of the grandfather, is not a safety flaw on the part of the ships owners or designers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I am glad that the judge saw on the video what most of us saw. 

Interesting note, apparently from Anello's testimony at his trial, that he "reached out to the glass, but didn't feel any glass".

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Shame the results of this suit will not get the same National exposure that their invalid claims received.  I'm actual surprised the result was noticed at all.  The judge appears to have so far as to say it was the grandfathers fault. 

Why can't a reporter now interview the Step Grandfather asking for comment and then splash it all over the evening news like they did when he claimed he thought there was glass in the window.

That's the way it goes. Something happens that makes national news, possibly damaging a person's or company's reputation, and by the time the case sees the inside of a courtroom the media has moved on.