Venice off limits to ships over 25000 tons.

The Wood Duck

I wonder how Celebrity will adjust their itineraries now that Venice is off limits to mega cruise ships. We are booked on Infinity on b2b Barcelona to Venice April 24/22 and Venice to Barcelona May 05/22 .

Edited by The Wood Duck

7 minutes ago, The Wood Duck said:

I wonder how Celebrity will adjust their itineraries now that Venice is off limits to mega cruise ships. We are booked on Infinity on b2b Barcelona to Venice April 24/22 and Venice to Barcelona May 05/22 .

From BBC news: Large ships will now have to dock at the city's industrial port until a permanent solution is found.

image.png.492d414f42a0e55f59b9e71130caf60c.png

• Like 1

CBS News in U.S. is reporting---

In announcing the ban, the Italian government said it planned to build five docks that would be able to accommodate cruise liners away from the Venice lagoon at the mainland port of Marghera, a 10-minute boat ride from Venice.

I can understand the reasons for the ban, but have to say my memories of arriving in Venice as the sun came up was one of the most spectacular arrivals I have ever done.

Franceschini said the government decided to act fast “to avoid the concrete risk” that the U.N. culture agency UNESCO, which protects the fragile city and its lagoon, would add Venice to its list of “world heritage in danger.”

Edited by Jim_Iain

Yes ... I agree the 'big ships' are inherently invasive and polluting for a small port.

I think a little more thought on this subject would have incentivized the Italian government to make their tonage regulation violation to be over 31,000 tons instead of 25,000 tons. This would have allowed a few 'small ship' cruise companies to still come to port.

They are still allowing large commerical ships into port who are much larger than the 'small' cruise ships and are big polluters.

The small ships have provided a financial benefit to many travel related businesses in Venice for many, many years with very little downside.

• Like 1

We sailed out of Venice in 2013 on the Equinox....wonderful sail away - champagne and canapes - and very happy we experienced it....the ship literally crawled it's way out of the harbour...it seemed there was no wave damage but who knows what was happening under the water.  Also, at that time there were discussions under way for the harbour barriers to be built (apparently ongoing for 20 years)...not sure that is finished yet.

Edited by Oceangoer2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

CBS News in U.S. is reporting---

In announcing the ban, the Italian government said it planned to build five docks that would be able to accommodate cruise liners away from the Venice lagoon at the mainland port of Marghera, a 10-minute boat ride from Venice.

I can understand the reasons for the ban, but have to say my memories of arriving in Venice as the sun came up was one of the most spectacular arrivals I have ever done.

Franceschini said the government decided to act fast “to avoid the concrete risk” that the U.N. culture agency UNESCO, which protects the fragile city and its lagoon, would add Venice to its list of “world heritage in danger.”

Whether or not that will ever happen is a big question mark, but the history of such projects in Italy is that it would likely take many years.  There has also been talk about building a new cruise port outside the Lagoon..but that would also take a generation.  Marghera is currently not a particularly good port option for cruise ships as it does not have the proper pier or infrastructure.  And moving thousands of cruisers between Marghera and Venice is also problamatic (it is not as simple as a 10 min boat ride).  

What has finally happened is the result of nearly 2 decades of back and forth between different factions with Italy.  I think in the short term there will be very few cruise ships using Marghera and folks who want to enjoy Venice (there is much to enjoy) should plan on a pre or post cruise land visit.  I do agree with your comment about arriving or departing via the Giudecca Canal to be spectacular.  Folks will still be able to do that if they want to book some of the small luxury cruise ships that comply with the 25000 ton restriction.   Silverseas has two small vessels that would be able to go to Venice as does Sea Dream.  I believe that all of Windstar's vessels would also comply.

Hank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Wood Duck said:

According to Cruise Industry news, the ban goes into effect August 1st so these cruise may just be the last to have, in my opinionthe best of the sailaways;

The Italian cabinet has approved a decree banning large cruise ships from Venice.

According to a press release on the official website of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, from Aug. 1, large ships will no longer be able to reach Venice through the San Marco Basin, the San Marco Canal and the Giudecca Canal.

Instead, the ships would be moved to berths at the port of Marghera – a mainland port across Venice.

Investments of 157 million euros were made to allow these berthings within the Marghera area, according to the ministry.

Marghera will see its first large cruise ships in 2022, according to the statement.

According to media reports, the ban only applies to the ships that are more than 25,000 tons.

• Like 1