Mixed vaccines no longer approved

mathgirl314

HA just updated their FAQ to say that those who get mixed vaccines (I got AZ first and moderna 2nd as recommended by Canadian gov) will not be considered fully vaccinated. No longer able to go on our Aug 7 cruise to Alaska. Disappointing as research show that mixed vaccine has better immune response than 2 AZ shots. Was so excited to be able to go on my first cruise. Princess, Carnival and NCL have all changed to the same policy.

• Like 2

Thanks for letting us know.  My sister received AZ and Pfizer so I'll suggest that she get another Pfizer. Fortunately, we have lots of time before our next cruise, in Aug/22.

Can you try to get another Moderna shot this week and still be fully vaxxed by your Aug 7th cruise?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Thanks for letting us know.  My sister received AZ and Pfizer so I'll suggest that she get another Pfizer. Fortunately, we have lots of time before our next cruise, in Aug/22.

Can you try to get another Moderna shot this week and still be fully vaxxed by your Aug 7th cruise?

No, the system is automated so it shows I have 2 doses. I can’t just show up and get another when so many are still getting their 1st and 2nd. 

20 minutes ago, mathgirl314 said:

HA just updated their FAQ to say that those who get mixed vaccines (I got AZ first and moderna 2nd as recommended by Canadian gov) will not be considered fully vaccinated. No longer able to go on our Aug 7 cruise to Alaska. Disappointing as research show that mixed vaccine has better immune response than 2 AZ shots. Was so excited to be able to go on my first cruise. Princess, Carnival and NCL have all changed to the same policy.

Could you share the link to this info?.... I am unable to find it on their website.  Thanks.

Edited by Red Haired Lady

Our vaccination document shows two valid doses and last vaccine given . In Ontario .

Nowhere does it show what the first shot was, could have been the same or something else

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mathgirl314 said:

No, the system is automated so it shows I have 2 doses. I can’t just show up and get another when so many are still getting their 1st and 2nd. 

Yeah, I wondered about that.  I guess I would still try; the worst that could happen is they say no. 

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  

Guests who have received one single dose of a vector vaccine (e.g. AstraZeneca) and one single dose of a mRNA vaccine (e.g. Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna) will not be considered fully vaccinated. Guests who have received two single doses of mixed vaccines that are the same type (e.g., both are mRNA) will be considered fully vaccinated and will be permitted to sail, so long as the final dose is received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise.

• Like 1

Both 1st and 2nd shots papers.  provided show the vaccine received and the dates. Headline on both in very large print  ONTARIO Ministry of Health. Both English and French. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mathgirl314 said:

Sorry the border is still closed. We have a plethora of supply for Pfizer and Moderna in Washington. Easy to just go to a grocery store pharmacy and get a dose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Divi said:

Our vaccination document shows two valid doses and last vaccine given . In Ontario .

Nowhere does it show what the first shot was, could have been the same or something else

Some places are asking to see certificates for first and second shots. I’m also in Ontario 

I was literally just talking with my PCC about this this morning.  I hope my conversation didn't trigger something.  Gosh how disappointing.

If I had of know this would have been a barrier to me cruising this fall I would have insisted on getting two MRNA vaccines.  

1 hour ago, Divi said:

Interesting.  Ours in New Brunswick shows what the dose was and the batch.  Thankfully we both had Pfizer.

• Like 2

to clarify:

Guests who have received one single dose of a vector vaccine (e.g. AstraZeneca) and one single dose of a mRNA vaccine (e.g. Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna) will not be considered fully vaccinated. Guests who have received two single doses of mixed vaccines that are the same type (e.g., both are mRNA) will be considered fully vaccinated and will be permitted to sail, so long as the final dose is received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redpear1 said:

Well I have two cruises booked one in April (21day) and next Oct (28 day) and large Fcc from prior canceled cruises. Had Phizer first Moderna for # 2 sure hope this gets worked out

see my recent post