Shorter cruising booking question

Hiya,

I'm so happy cruising is starting to get back up.

We've always gone on 7 or 10 day cruises before and we tend to book last minute. But now I have a 4 night cruise that my extended family is going on and we are thinking of joining them.

It is in March of 2021 and right now the prices look OK but not amazing and with very few perks. Would you expect the prices to go down or have perks added (gratuities, dinners, ect)? Say around Black Friday? Or is that just something that happens with 7 - 10 day cruises.

I know no one can tell the future but I thought this amazing group of people might have some tips for me.

Thanks!

I am assuming you don't mean March of 2021. March 2021 has come and gone. Do you mean 2022?

We tend to take short cruises when I find a low price fairly last minute. If I am interested in a particular cruise, I watch the price and how the cabins are selling. When you see a price that you like, I would book. I find that the prices do vary and often are at their lowest just inside of final payment date. But that is not always true. If the cruise is not selling, the prices drop.if it is popular, the price stays up or even increases.

I presume the OP meant 2022, but we’ve rarely (if ever) seen prices drop the closer you get to the cruise date. As for sales, they’re all smoke and mirror mark them up so we can mark them down shell games.

35 minutes ago, Rhondwyn said:

Would you expect the prices to go down or have perks added (gratuities, dinners, ect)? Say around Black Friday? Or is that just something that happens with 7 - 10 day cruises.

Lol I've never seen grays and dinners added and I for sure checked last black friday.

Has rcl ever offered this or was this a perk from a travel agent out of their commission. Longer cruises the make more money and can offer a better perk. 

I missed it if rcl ever offered this. 

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I've never seen grays and dinners added and I for sure checked last black friday.

Has rcl ever offered this or was this a perk from a travel agent out of their commission. Longer cruises the make more money and can offer a better perk. 

Royal has run promos with travel agents that included gratuities (for bookings that sail within 6 months) but I have never seen them offer t on the consumer site

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Royal offered it one time that I can remember but you had to book a suite to get it.  That was several years ago

I’ve got a drinks package included in my booking on the Anthem this year. However, the cruise was booked way back in January 2019 for October 2020 then L&S’d last year to this October. Haven’t seen DP’s or any other perks included since then.

• Like 1

I would certainly book now if you are going with a family group so that you can cluster your cabins near each other. It makes it convenient for catching up, or leaving notes.  You can reprice up until final payment if you see a lower price.

DH really won't consider short cruises any more, preferring at least 7 days. We live in Atlanta, GA, so the nearest port is about 9 hours drive each way; it seems silly to spend most of 2 days driving for a short cruise.  I see you are from Houston, so your drive to Galveston is not bad. I do think a 4 day cruise might be a great way to do a family cruise, especially if it's a first time for some of the cruisers.

3 day cruises are almost always Friday-Sunday and are typically called "booze cruises" because so many people book them for the weekend partying. Lots of party groups, fewer families. Most 4 day cruises depart on Monday and disembark Friday morning, which works better if your vacation week needs to be Sunday-Saturday.

I have booked cruises through TA's and direct through Royal. While I have received various perks through a TA, I like the control I have with a direct booking, because I watch my cruises like a hawk and rebook as often as I find a savings or an inexpensive upgrade. This paragraph is strictly personal preference, and has been the subject of many threads.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Barb

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about prices going down 🙂

Hit and Miss, still been getting Drops. Last Month got $300+ in Drops Sailings this Oct. Last Week got $400+ on Cruises in April 2022

• Like 1

Yup I meant 2022, not 2021 🙂 And I don't expect prices to go down.

So last time I went on an RC cruise (2019) Gratuities were included along with a $100 per room onboard credit. That was a week long cruise to Alaska and we had a balcony. We booked online to get extra points on our mileage credit card but we don't have a specific travel agent we use.

But the one in March (2022 😛 ) is just about a 1.5 hour drive away from our home so we aren't worried about organizing everyone's airfare or long commutes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tudy said:

I am assuming you don't mean March of 2021. March 2021 has come and gone. Do you mean 2022?

We tend to take short cruises when I find a low price fairly last minute. If I am interested in a particular cruise, I watch the price and how the cabins are selling. When you see a price that you like, I would book. I find that the prices do vary and often are at their lowest just inside of final payment date. But that is not always true. If the cruise is not selling, the prices drop.if it is popular, the price stays up or even increases.

Normally we do the last minute thing too and maybe got spoiled with some great last minute deals since we are flexible?

But the rest of the family that is going has already booked this cruise and then invited us as well.