New to cruising, C&A point questions, and more!

Hello there!

I'm brand new to cruising. I've always wanted to experience one, but never had the opportunity up until now. I'll be on an Alaskan cruise with family in the summer of 2022, aboard Quantum of the Seas. I've booked solo, through Costco Travel. For some background info, I'm in my late 20s. My siblings are experienced cruisers, and RCI is their choice. Since it would be nice to take trips with them, I'd like to build up my experience with the line as well!

I have a few questions, and would love any advice or experience you may have to share! I've been poring over the forums for a while now, as well as other books and information. But there is nothing like having an actual discussion.

1. Crown and Anchor points -- I've read about the double points promo going on. Will I still obtain these having booked through Costco Travel, and will I even get them at all since I am technically not yet a C&A member? Any opinions on Costco Travel? I'm not able to get any on-board bonuses with my cabin level, sadly.

2. As a solo traveler, for a 7-night cruise with the double points paying a supplement; would that earn 14+7 points, or 14+14 points? I'm not sure if anybody is yet able to answer this, or if I am even correct about the assertion for double points for a single passenger.

3. Has anybody sailed on a non-China based cruise with Quantum? Any recommendations? While I will be with family, I also plan on exploring a little bit on my own.

4. I'm also considering trying out a cruise before this Alaska cruise -- still in 2022. It just seems like it would be so much fun. I'm looking for something inexpensive. I mostly want to experience the ship. The Caribbean cruises seem to be most affordable. I admittedly have very little interest in the Caribbean as far as excursions go (I like snow 😉 ), so more sea days than anything is okay. It would also be nice to obtain some C&A points before my Alaska cruise. Do you have any advice or opinion on this? I'm a bit shy and not much of a party person. But there's something rather alluring about cruising in general, let alone relaxing solo.

Thank you so much for reading through this. I hope I don't sound too boneheaded in my questions. I'm just so excited! There's so much to learn!

Did you book a solo cabin or did you book a regular cabin that holds 2 pax?

You will not get double pts until you are a C&A member but you will do one sooner on rcl?

Solo get 1 pt in solo cabins like the virtual balconys (no solo supplement). They get 2 pts in a double cabin, 3 for a suite. Until your 2nd cruise these pts dont double. Enjoy. If you do a cruise before this, yes all pts double.

Maybe try to find a short inexpensive cruise to become a member.

PS it's against the rules to discuss travel agents, or everyone would be pushing theirs.. cant comment on yours. Sorry.

Welcome to cc.

Edited by firefly333

Assuming you are not in China, iFly and North Star are free.  The former is a 1 minute flight (and you can pay for longer flights).  The latter is around 10 minutes.  Book both as soon as they show up in your Cruise Personalizer.  North Star is easy to do standby - you might wait 20 minutes for an opening.  Both can also be booked onboard through the phone app.  Phone app is very useful for adding and changing show and dining reservations.

Likewise book shows as soon as they appear.  For most you can just show up and they will open the doors 15 minutes before the show (but seating may be very limited by then.

Dining is up to you.  If you have MyTime you can either make a reservation or show up when the dining room is open.  Depending on if you want to sit with others you may have a short wait.  All the main dining rooms serve the same food (decor is different) and when RCI quit sailing MyTime didn't start until around 6:30 so they could seat early fixed seating in the dining room.

In a week you cannot do everything on the ship.  Pick what you are interested in.  Anthem-class ships are huge - explore.  Try signing up for the circus training if it is available.  Bumper cars,  climbing wall.  Many activities are free.  

By the way, we can't discuss (or mention) travel agencies on Cruise Critic.  But you can search for short cruises on most TA web sites or Royal by month and cruise line.  Pick cruises that go where you are interested in.  Note that prices on ships that are not selling well can drop quite a bit after final payment (around 90 days before sailing) so if you can book late you might get a deal.  Some of the cruises out of Galveston are short and cheaper - a visit to Progreso in Mexico will let you see ruins without the long ferry rides from Cozumel.  Grand Cayman for sting rays or turtles.  Note that smaller ships have less to do onboard but are great for relaxing.  Check the Cruise Critic boards for the ports you might be interested it.  Be advised that cruising is addictive....

Just now, Culpeo said:

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure about that, I will remove it from my post!

I am staying in a normal, double occupancy cabin.

Thank you for the welcome!

Oh, I can't edit it -- I'm so sorry, I'm going to go to CruiseCritic jail on my first day! 😞

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Assuming you are not in China, iFly and North Star are free.  The former is a 1 minute flight (and you can pay for longer flights).  The latter is around 10 minutes.  Book both as soon as they show up in your Cruise Personalizer.  North Star is easy to do standby - you might wait 20 minutes for an opening.  Both can also be booked onboard through the phone app.  Phone app is very useful for adding and changing show and dining reservations.

Likewise book shows as soon as they appear.  For most you can just show up and they will open the doors 15 minutes before the show (but seating may be very limited by then.

Dining is up to you.  If you have MyTime you can either make a reservation or show up when the dining room is open.  Depending on if you want to sit with others you may have a short wait.  All the main dining rooms serve the same food (decor is different) and when RCI quit sailing MyTime didn't start until around 6:30 so they could seat early fixed seating in the dining room.

In a week you cannot do everything on the ship.  Pick what you are interested in.  Anthem-class ships are huge - explore.  Try signing up for the circus training if it is available.  Bumper cars,  climbing wall.  Many activities are free.  

By the way, we can't discuss (or mention) travel agencies on Cruise Critic.  But you can search for short cruises on most TA web sites or Royal by month and cruise line.  Pick cruises that go where you are interested in.  Note that prices on ships that are not selling well can drop quite a bit after final payment (around 90 days before sailing) so if you can book late you might get a deal.  Some of the cruises out of Galveston are short and cheaper - a visit to Progreso in Mexico will let you see ruins without the long ferry rides from Cozumel.  Grand Cayman for sting rays or turtles.  Note that smaller ships have less to do onboard but are great for relaxing.  Check the Cruise Critic boards for the ports you might be interested it.  Be advised that cruising is addictive....

Thank you for the advice. Based on what you said, is it easy to eat alone if wanted in the main dining room? What seating time tends to be most popular, in your experience, out of curiosity?

I am going to take a look at the Galveston options, like you mentioned. That sounds interesting!

Apparently there is a 20 minute limit on editing posts, lesson learned -- I'll make sure to avoid the TA issue and double posting in the future. 🙂

Edited by Culpeo

2 minutes ago, Culpeo said:

Thank you for the advice. Based on what you said, is it easy to eat alone if wanted in the main dining room? What seating time tends to be most popular, in your experience, out of curiosity?

Probably 6 to 7 pm is busiest. I have anytime. There are also set times if you want to meet other people to eat with. 

I hate to wait and tbh used to eat in the buffet which has many of the same items. But since you are new try the Mdr. 

36 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

RCI seems to be charging in the UK market as well.

Good morning biker, Do you know how Quantum is getting too Alaska.  We had the April 26 2022 TP Hawaii to Vancouver booked and it was cancelled last week due to Quantum staying in Asia. 

27 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Good morning biker, Do you know how Quantum is getting to Alaska.  

Probably the same way Ovation did last month, TP without passengers, assuming she goes to Alaska at all.

Edited by Biker19

4 hours ago, Culpeo said:

Oh, I can't edit it -- I'm so sorry, I'm going to go to CruiseCritic jail on my first day! 😞

No you aren't.....Costco is one of the rare ones you seem to be able to mention.

Call RCI and see if they'll let you sign up with C&A ...you never know...worth a try.

You not longer have to cruise to join C&A (this changed sometime from fall 2014 to summer of 2017).  So would get the double points for the promotion.

Basically you get:

1 point per night of cruising

+1 point per night if solo in a standard double room.  No extra point if in a solo room.

+1 point per night if in a suite.

If you book before 9/21/21 and sail before 12/31/2022, the promotion is double points.

So if you are a normal room, you get 1+1 points per night = 14 points for 7 nights.  x2 for the promotion = 28 points.

If you booked a suite solo (Junior Suites count), you would get 1+1+1 = 3 x 7 = 21 x 2 = 42 points.

We are going a 10 night and a 12 night next year in suites.  It will take me from just making Diamond  to just making Diamond Plus. 🙂  

FYI, the board rules are to NOT name any travel agents and NOT DISCUSS any travel agents.  So be warned.  If you can edit your post, you might want to take the name out.

Due to the promotion, if you are thinking of another cruise, book it before 9/21 to get the double points.

If you were to do a another solo 7 night, you would get a total of 56 points and be Emerald. 🙂

• Thanks 1

The 2X points begins at GOLD level so you would not receive the extra points unless you had already earned a minimum of 3 points on previous cruise.  You can sign up now and you’ll be pre-gold until after your first cruise earns you the 3 points.  You  also need be sure  your Crown & Anchor number is on your reservation to earn the 2X points on your Alaska Cruise.   Your TA should be able to help you make sure you meet all the 2X point qualifiers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SRF said:

You not longer have to cruise to join C&A (this changed sometime from fall 2014 to summer of 2017).  So would get the double points for the promotion.

Basically you get:

1 point per night of cruising

+1 point per night if solo in a standard double room.  No extra point if in a solo room.

+1 point per night if in a suite.

If you book before 9/21/21 and sail before 12/31/2022, the promotion is double points.

So if you are a normal room, you get 1+1 points per night = 14 points for 7 nights.  x2 for the promotion = 28 points.

If you booked a suite solo (Junior Suites count), you would get 1+1+1 = 3 x 7 = 21 x 2 = 42 points.

We are going a 10 night and a 12 night next year in suites.  It will take me from just making Diamond  to just making Diamond Plus. 🙂  

FYI, the board rules are to NOT name any travel agents and NOT DISCUSS any travel agents.  So be warned.  If you can edit your post, you might want to take the name out.

Due to the promotion, if you are thinking of another cruise, book it before 9/21 to get the double points.

If you were to do a another solo 7 night, you would get a total of 56 points and be Emerald. 🙂

FYI it's already been confirmed (by several who sailed Royal Caribbean for the first time this past June on Adventure of the Seas) that regardless whether you have a Crown & Anchor number or not, you will NOT get double points on your first sailing; the double points offer requires you already have enough points on your Crown & Anchor account to be at least Gold (i.e., 3 points).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Culpeo said:

4. I'm also considering trying out a cruise before this Alaska cruise -- still in 2022. It just seems like it would be so much fun. I'm looking for something inexpensive. I mostly want to experience the ship. The Caribbean cruises seem to be most affordable. I admittedly have very little interest in the Caribbean as far as excursions go (I like snow 😉 ), so more sea days than anything is okay. It would also be nice to obtain some C&A points before my Alaska cruise. Do you have any advice or opinion on this? I'm a bit shy and not much of a party person. But there's something rather alluring about cruising in general, let alone relaxing solo.

Check out Anthem of the Seas from Cape Liberty, NJ. It's one of my favorite ships and I'm on it a lot, traveling solo. Other than the Bermuda sailings, you'll usually have at least 4 or 5 sea days plus whatever port days are offered. 

16 minutes ago, dswallow said:

FYI it's already been confirmed (by several who sailed Royal Caribbean for the first time this past June on Adventure of the Seas) that regardless whether you have a Crown & Anchor number or not, you will NOT get double points on your first sailing; the double points offer requires you already have enough points on your Crown & Anchor account to be at least Gold (i.e., 3 points).

I see.  OK.

So I would take a VERY short cruise. 😄

I see you are from NY.  There is a nice short, cheap Canada cruise out of Cape Liberty that could get you started.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/landing?groupId=AD04BYE-448751887&sailDate=2022-05-31&shipCode=AD&packageCode=AD04N004&destinationCode=ATLCO&selectedCurrencyCode=USD

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I see you are from NY.  There is a nice short, cheap Canada cruise out of Cape Liberty that could get you started.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/landing?groupId=AD04BYE-448751887&sailDate=2022-05-31&shipCode=AD&packageCode=AD04N004&destinationCode=ATLCO&selectedCurrencyCode=USD

All inside cabins, so if you'd rather have a balcony the better choices may not be these. And of course these are the direct prices; there may be better offers elsewhere from time to time, especially if you can find someone selling a cabin in an already-established group.

$599 (+$160.50) for 4 nights on Adventure on 5/31/2022 ($190/night)

$728 (+$170.67) for 5 nights on Adventure on 5/26/2022 ($180/night)
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/landing?sailDate=2022-05-26&shipCode=AD&packageCode=AD05N014&destinationCode=ATLCO&selectedCurrencyCode=USD

$875 (+$196.19) for 7 nights on Anthem on 3/6/2022 ($153/night)
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/landing?sailDate=2022-03-06&shipCode=AN&packageCode=AN7BH070&destinationCode=BAHAM&selectedCurrencyCode=USD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, Culpeo said:

I am going to take a look at the Galveston options, like you mentioned. That sounds interesting!

Just be mindful of a few things related to cruising out of Galveston.

1. Depending on time of year, conditions around the port can get very foggy causing delays on ships returning to port. It's very rare but it can happen. It usually happens most in late winter/early spring so not likely to be an issue for you.
  2. Neither airport in Houston is particularly close to Galveston. Hobby is the closest (approx 45 minutes) but the only airline that really flies in and out of there is Southwest. Bush International is further out (approx 1h 15m) but all the major carriers fly into there. Take into account that the day and time of day plays a huge part in travel times. There is only one way into Galveston on I45 so on the weekends, traffic can get very heavy as you approach the island. During the week, you have to contend more with traffic from Bush than you do from Hobby. Houston is one of those cities where you can drive an hour and still be in Houston and we have some of the worst traffic in the country. Fly into IAH at 7am on a weekday and your drive to Galveston could easily be 2 hours depending on the route taken.
  3. If you decide to fly in a day or two prior to sailing, be mindful that many hotels on Galveston require a 2 night minimum stay. You would be better off not staying on Galveston island unless you wanted to stay 2 nights. And even then, I don't think there is enough on the island to stay 2 nights unless your plan was to do nothing 🙂 Nasa is actually on the way to Galveston from both airports so you could always stay in that area and visit Nasa (if that's your thing).
  4. Hurricanes. We are currently in hurricane season. This can disrupt cruise itineraries. Not very common, but like the fog, can happen.
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. This is all very helpful.

I'll call the powers that be and make sure my Crown & Anchor information is all in a row. If only I could afford a suite!

One of northeastern cruises is high on my list! I'd love to plan one in the future. Sadly, it's a bit out of my budget for the time being (as a solo cruiser). I'm going to keep my eyes on prices and see how everything develops. I did find a 4-day cruise out of Orlando costing around $650 after solo fees and the refundable deposit option, so I went with that in the mean time.

I hadn't even thought about particular port quirks. That's great food for thought, thank you!

@dswallow

What is it typically like, in your opinion, as a solo traveler? What do you like most? Any personal tips?

4 minutes ago, Culpeo said:

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. This is all very helpful.

I'll call the powers that be and make sure my Crown & Anchor information is all in a row. If only I could afford a suite!

One of northeastern cruises is high on my list! I'd love to plan one in the future. Sadly, it's a bit out of my budget for the time being (as a solo cruiser). I'm going to keep my eyes on prices and see how everything develops. I did find a 4-day cruise out of Orlando costing around $650 after solo fees and the refundable deposit option, so I went with that in the mean time.

I hadn't even thought about particular port quirks. That's great food for thought, thank you!

@dswallow

What is it typically like, in your opinion, as a solo traveler? What do you like most? Any personal tips?

I've always been something of a loner when it comes to traveling -- just fine on my own. But in general when I had started cruising I would always make sure I was seated at the largest possible table in the main dining room just so I had more people to socialize with at dinner regularly. These days it's more difficult for that because they're intentionally avoiding seating unrelated parties together so you really have to go into dinner with people you want to sit with. Participate in as many of the activities going on as you can manage; they're all great mixers and ways to meet fellow cruisers. I'm generally content sitting at a bar with my Kindle and ignoring people. 🙂 And usually when you try to ignore people, all that happens is people come and start getting chatty with you! Generally I've never had a problem finding people to hang out with and do things aboard if that's what I'm looking for; there's almost always people I'll meet, talk with, find interesting, run into again and again, and just get to know better and make plans to do things like visit a show or go into a port together. Don't overplan, just let things happen as you come across opportunities, but start off with things you find interesting.

15 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I've always been something of a loner when it comes to traveling -- just fine on my own. But in general when I had started cruising I would always make sure I was seated at the largest possible table in the main dining room just so I had more people to socialize with at dinner regularly. These days it's more difficult for that because they're intentionally avoiding seating unrelated parties together so you really have to go into dinner with people you want to sit with. Participate in as many of the activities going on as you can manage; they're all great mixers and ways to meet fellow cruisers. I'm generally content sitting at a bar with my Kindle and ignoring people. 🙂 And usually when you try to ignore people, all that happens is people come and start getting chatty with you! Generally I've never had a problem finding people to hang out with and do things aboard if that's what I'm looking for; there's almost always people I'll meet, talk with, find interesting, run into again and again, and just get to know better and make plans to do things like visit a show or go into a port together. Don't overplan, just let things happen as you come across opportunities, but start off with things you find interesting.

I tend to be that way too -- I don't mind being low key and taking things in. It's so true, you become a magnet for people to chat with!

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's what I was hoping it would be like. You said you take the Anthem often; what others do you take, and what do you like that is particular to that ship/class?

5 minutes ago, Culpeo said:

You said you take the Anthem often; what others do you take, and what do you like that is particular to that ship/class?

Anthem is certainly the ship of opportunity since it's less than an hours drive for me to the port. But I also do prefer its layout overall and some of the features it has that are unique to the Quantum class. Music Hall is one of my favorite venues for late night music, and DJs. The SeaPlex area as a huge indoor activity space and Two70 at the rear of the ship with it's ~270-degree view off the rear are favorite spots. The ship has a lot more enclosed spaces, designed for colder weather cruising than other classes, which I find more comfortable in general.

I've been on Oasis class ships a couple times and have been looking forward to Oasis coming to Cape Liberty, which was delayed by COVID. I enjoy the AquaTheater area but don't so much like how open the interior is to all other venues and tends to be open to outside air the way they keep passages open. But I have 7 trips booked on Oasis and another 8 on Anthem through the end of 2022. Generally other ships/ports I've been on have been either because I'm joining other friends going, or was in the area for another reason and combined it with a cruise... like when I'm in Seattle on business. I've done 3 on Adventure out of Nassau and have 2 more comping up in September that I picked just because it was the first ship to get back sailing. I've been on Grandeur out of Baltimore and have a trip on Enchantment out of Baltimore this November, with some friends I met aboard my first Grandeur sailing. Liberty out of Galveston, Freedom out of San Juan, and Allure/Harmony out of Ft Lauderdale were trips with a group of friends that get together generally for one cruise each year.

22 minutes ago, Culpeo said:

I tend to be that way too -- I don't mind being low key and taking things in. It's so true, you become a magnet for people to chat with!

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's what I was hoping it would be like. You said you take the Anthem often; what others do you take, and what do you like that is particular to that ship/class?

Culpeo,

There is also a solo cruising thread that you might get good info from. Take a peek. I have been a solo cruiser for about 11 years now. I, personally, wouldn’t have it any other way...LOL

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/